NameSilo

status-monitor Anarchy in "Domain Names Wanted" forum

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I don't know if you checked the "domain names wanted" forum lately. New members are spamming all threads with their s...ty domains and this section has become unusable. Please, make something about it. I guess the restriction of sellers to post in the threads was a very good idea.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks guys, we are monitoring as we opened up the ability to post again. It's our hopes that people start using their better judgement, we would hate to have to work around the clock manually cleaning it up until we get so finger numb we are forced to start issuing infractions or close all posting again.

Play nice everyone, We are trying to give you all the benefit of the doubt in the forum :)

•••
I've noticed it just today. Yeah,I'm hoping it'll do better. This section is underutilized... I'm hoping it'll go better.

Why not ban certain ppl from posting? ie Users without at least 50 posts? That might at least prevent some spam

•••
I've noticed it just today. Yeah,I'm hoping it'll do better. This section is underutilized... I'm hoping it'll go better.

Why not ban certain ppl from posting? ie Users without at least 50 posts? That might at least prevent some spam

I agree as well people should have to have a certain post count or at least be a member for a certain period of time before being allowed to post there.

•••
Thanks again for all the feedback. We are building and testing solutions from your comments to make the Domain Names Wanted area useful for both buyers and sellers. :)

•••

A form of limitation based on membership time / posts count / or feedback rating might actually be a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion :)

•••
One forum I frequent?
The owner just got tired of spammers and scammers opening accounts, post their scams and spams, then open another account when banned.
So he shut off registering!
Now people have to ask him to be a member.
And yes, the spam and scam dropped to 0 right away.
And present members are happy about the new registration rule.

•••
The following changes have been in place since shortly after we reopened the forum to posts:
  • Threads can't be bumped. Posting useless comments has no effect because threads are sorted by creation date. You can still choose to sort the forum by last post date using the sorting dropdown at the bottom of the thread list.
  • Old threads have been closed. This prevents "necroing", where spammers revive ancient threads. We'll be automatically closing threads in the near future.
Much of the feedback here seems to overlook these changes, which is unfortunate.

•••
Well - I'll do. But it will happen again and again. People desperate to sell their domains will continue to reply to old threads and making mess.

•••
No no no, requiring 100 posts before posting in the domains wanted will kill off business. The majority of us are sellers, the last thing we need is to discourage buyers from posting. An easier option would be simply to lock the old domains wanted threads or to use the "prevent bumping old threads" vb plugin. Oops nevermind, just remembered the switch to Xenforo... maybe if they have something like it where the user has to check the tickbox to say they want to post even though it's an old thread, before posting.

•••
Could you do something about users opening / closing same exact threads every 10 days or so?

I believe they were doing that because threads in that forum could not be bumped. I've defaulted the sorting back to "Last Message" so they can be bumped again. That should prevent the need for anyone to create a new thread every 10 days. Instead, they can just bump their original thread.

For those who would like to use the previous sort order, we've added a link titled New Requests at the top of the page. This link will sort the listing by thread creation date without any bumping.

•••
Do you flag the posts? Usually when I see something like that, flagging it usually does the trick and a mod or admin will handle it.

Unless it's for that one dude that likes to continually spam and post off topic stuff about Snapnames from 10 years ago.

•••
I have noticed that too and the section is just a big useless mess atm.
Keep reporting and I am sure posters and posts will be dealt with accordingly.

•••
To be honest I had rarely even checked that section of the forum until people started to complain about it. guess bad publicity is a good form of attracting new people. lol

•••
Maybe 100posts plus a min. 3 months on the forum. That'll give ppl time to learn the rules (and with 100 posts, they should have the experience needed to conduct business)

I agree as well people should have to have a certain post count or at least be a member for a certain period of time before being allowed to post there.

•••
I wanted to post in the section to buy some names but I have totally reconsidered it!
Tooooooooooooo messy atm

•••
How would 100-post limits kill business? Criticize me if you want, but I don't care one bit about ppl who comes on NP with no intention of being a valuable member. Those who sign up merely to spam ARE NOT WELCOME in my eyes. 100 posts would at the least show the user is engaged with the community. Again, I don't care for ppl who have no desire to be useful to come along and BREAK FORUM RULES (or to act all spammy), making the community harder to work in. If a member of DF or similar wants to come into NP, that's perfectly fine. But if they only come to spam, what good are they? What value do these users bring with them? A 100-post limit isn't killing or even denting business--unless you consider being a spammy POS "business." Otherwise, the limit only helps and hurts none

•••
I for one am VERY glad to see this thread... As moderator for that forum I was VERY against the decision to open domains wanted threads up for replies again from anyone other than the OP after calling for and helping establish the changes we put in place several years ago.

I don't see the value in opening it up for posts from sellers and see a LOT of room for abuse, spam and extra work for mods. I have also taken a short term backseat to moderating the forum just so we (including other members and section leaders) could see where it goes and not scramble to keep it cleans asap and in a semblance of actually working and "worth it". Don't get me wrong, IF the decision to keep it like this stays I will definitely be more proactive to clean threads up but will likely need more help unless the system, and seller compliance with posted criteria, gets much better.

I really think that submissions per conversation is best, and if a seller needs more clarification than a buyer should update their thread for all accordingly if appropriate. Sellers SHOULD be more attentive to posted criteria and buyers SHOULD report spam conversations that clearly do not Meet the posted criteria.

The way it "was", only active buyers threads would be bumped up, a clear signal to sellers it is worth submitting domains, rather than replying to a seller-bumped thread possibly long abandoned by the buyer...

•••
Don't you guys think that if a person is going to start a business and he wants certain kind of domain only for one time then should he wait for reaching minimum number of posts to start a thread there?

I don't think it's a good idea as such person will be forced to post crap in other forums in that case, as his only intention is to post a request in domains wanted section.

no its serious, if the limit was 100 posts, new ppl would be rushing to make it there, making your 20x spam now quite possibly open to more interaction, but possibly, dummy interacion too

A form of limitation based on membership time / posts count / or feedback rating might actually be a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Maybe 100posts plus a min. 3 months on the forum. That'll give ppl time to learn the rules (and with 100 posts, they should have the experience needed to conduct business)

Oh plllleaaaseeeeee put a min post count and time frame for the WTB section. Seems like the losers from DP are coming here with there crap. It is ok to be a site for newbies and all but at somepoint we all kinda grow up..maybe the forum should to D-:

No no no, requiring 100 posts before posting in the domains wanted will kill off business. The majority of us are sellers, the last thing we need is to discourage buyers from posting. An easier option would be simply to lock the old domains wanted threads or to use the "prevent bumping old threads" vb plugin. Oops nevermind, just remembered the switch to Xenforo... maybe if they have something like it where the user has to check the tickbox to say they want to post even though it's an old thread, before posting.

IMO- It should not be limited to how many POST a user has, it should be limited to how many LIKES a user has. Every day i see users trying to sell terrible domain with 0 likes. I even saw a person with over 500 post and 0 likes! I wanted to ask how that was even possible! Answer is simple, They don't provide any value to anyone... They are only self serving and the proof is in the 'likes' pudding.

Limit the ability to post if they have less than X 'likes'

•••
Guys...one idea. What about Domains Wanted threads to auto-close after say 15 days of inactivity. Then only the OP can reopen it.

•••
•••
maybe like 30-60 days
That sounds like a good idea. I did check out other domain and/or webmaster type forums at one time and there were people posting spam for domains wanted and other threads in other areas that were 2-5 years old. I found it hard to find or post any useful information.

This is the best forum for spam control I have been a member on so that's why this is the one I use.

•••
And feedback. It'd show the user has experience buying/selling here :)

•••
Don't you guys think that if a person is going to start a business and he wants certain kind of domain only for one time then should he wait for reaching minimum number of posts to start a thread there?

I don't think it's a good idea as such person will be forced to post crap in other forums in that case, as his only intention is to post a request in domains wanted section.

•••
@shiftaction
that spamming is really making the user experience ( aka ours ! ) an awful and unprofessional one.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back