IT.COM

discuss Alternative business model for brandables site

NameSilo
Watch

EatMyBrand

Established Member
Impact
I took umbrage at having all my brandable domains rejected by BrandPa and BrandBucket, so I registered the domain ProBrandable.com, to showcase and promote my own portfolio. The intention was to showcase a portfolio of about 100 professional domains at a time, organised by category and/or industry. But then it struck me that others domainers, who have hand their brandables rejected, might be interested in promoting them on a different site.

I think the BrandPa and BrandBucket business models suck, for the reasons that many on here have alluded to, so I'm looking at alternative models. I think a traditional listings/directory model should work i.e. you pay a one-off amount to list your domain in a category (e.g. $5) but then if you want to showcase it in a high-traffic spot (e.g.homepage or at the top of a category) then you pay an additional amount.

What business model do you think lends itself best to the promotion of brandable domains, without the distraction of non-pertinent revenue streams (e.g. logo design)?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi

since majority of sites that list other domainers names are free, then already you would have uphill battle to get paid listings.
then, if the user makes a sale via your platform, will you charge another fee to facilitate the sale.
will your fee be less than others who have free signups, but only charge a fee when a name is sold?

the model that seems to work best, is to build the site, with free user signups
then, if you get popular, after that you might consider adding a " showcase fee" for a few bucks

i've been domaining since 2003 and my motto is..." if it ain't free, then it ain't for me"

still, there are many who are willing to be paid end-users of the various domainer related sites out there, so one more won't break the camels back.

it all depends on what you're offering in return for that $ you want to charge

imo...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back