Dynadot

discuss The shift of the industry towards brandables

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
How do you explain the value of a brandable to a customer if the industry continues to discuss and operate along old paradigms? It started with Google paying more attention to brandables for ranking around 2008 as far as I know. Now it's obvious with the plethora of brandable marketplaces that a shift has taken place. What I see is a whole new phenomenology of different species and subspecies of domains that now has become relevant to be classified with a new terminology. The first categorization I want to make is to divide between arbitrary long brandables and scarce short brandables. We are talking about dotcom, obviously. The first category has nearly unlimited supply. The second has limited supply. There are fanciful brandables, keyword brandables and mixtures in between. I suggest to first do a brainstorm of categories that could be seen as archetypical new entities of domains. In the end, maybe we can create a new subforum here on Namepros? I think Namepros should reflect the shift in the industry as well and we should finally see real reseller values of good quality short an eventually excellent quality arbitrary brandables. Of greater attention of course than with pure keyword domains are the trademark related issues. Do you think that with establishment of the brandable marketplaces the business of selling brandables has become a valid business model? Or am I too far ahead of the time and we will wait till the year 2020 to talk ;) (Some people would wish!)?

New section for brandables:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Brandables are nothing new. But they remain very relevant, not just because of the so-called scarcity of good domains mandating increased 'creativity', but companies always need names that are somewhat unique, and that can be branded heavily.

•••
How do you explain the value of a brandable to a customer if the industry continues to discuss and operate along old paradigms?

you don't!

you only give price when they contact you

Or am I too far ahead of the time ?

no, the dance started long ago

:)

imo.....

•••
Brandables are nothing new. But they remain very relevant, not just because of the so-called scarcity of good domains mandating increased 'creativity', but companies always need names that are somewhat unique, and that can be branded heavily.

My stance is that obviously there's a shift in attention and brandables are becoming MORE relevant because of increased scarcity. This means now is the right time to create more differentiated classification, eventually facilitating a more sustainable reseller market. Beyond "brandbucket accepted".

•••
there is popoular np thread "are brandables dead?". perhaps some answers are there.. and to merge together the threads! gl.

Last edited:
•••
the deal with brands are their uniqueness. In an age of transparency it is super easy for competition to copy generics but not so easy to copy unique relevant brandables IMO

•••
Some Companies have multiple channels and various products so they need variety of names and brandables fill the place.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back