Dynadot

Alter.com Marketplace

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Deven Patel

Founder, Alter.comEstablished Member
Impact
Hi all,

I wanted to introduce a new premium domain marketplace we just launched called Alter. I would love to hear your thoughts! As the world’s largest community of domainers, your feedback would be invaluable.

Let me introduce myself. Although I’m new to NamePros, I’ve been around the block. I’ve been buying and selling domains for my own startup ideas for over 20 years. As a serial entrepreneur, I founded a number of startups across various industries like marketing, web hosting, social networking, blogging, and SaaS. This experience has helped me understand how indispensable a brand name is to a business.

Most new entrepreneurs don’t think twice about their company name. Our goal is to change that! A brand name literally has the power to make or break their business. This is more true today than ever before now that there are countless alternatives to every product or service imaginable. Sure, every business may have their own world-changing differentiator but from the outside they all look the same at which point the main differentiator ends up becoming their brand name. In a world full of distractions, we no longer have the attention span to thoroughly research what we buy so we rely on our emotions. This is why large businesses like Apple and Amazon spend billions on their “brand” alone because they understand that customer perception is everything.

Anyway, I noticed that most marketplaces that exist today are focused more on the seller rather than the buyer. Our goal is to reverse the equation and prioritize buyers because I think they are the key to success in any industry. The domain industry is no exception. Without buyers, there’s no money. This is why we’ve made it our mission to help entrepreneurs succeed!

And what’s with the 30-35% commission rate most of these marketplaces are charging? Unless they’re doing more work than a human broker, I don’t think anything over the industry average of 15-20% is warranted. We’re changing that. Alter has one of the lowest rates in the industry, an all-inclusive 10% commission fee when a name sells. There are no other fees or restrictions.

What do you think? Are we on the right track or barking up the wrong tree?

Deven
This was a promoted post.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just like to say how impressed I am with your platform. I signed up not long ago, submitted some names, a few of which were accepted. I was impressed with the proposed pricing, the logo your team generated and the writeup produced for the domain names. While understanding the concerns some have expressed re listing other places, frankly personally I like the approach that once a domain is listed in Alter it automatically gets listed a bunch of other places. Well done, and thanks for being so responsive on NamePros, @Deven Patel. I look forward to seeing your platform grow.
Bob

•••
My first sale on Alter.com
Transaction went smoothly.
All payments received.

Attachments

• IMG_20210419_203517.jpg
    IMG_20210419_203517.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 220
•••
High quality to us means the name is short, catchy, memorable, pronounceable, and easy to spell. A name great companies and products can be built on like Google, Yahoo, PayPal, Stripe, Apple, Amazon, Subway, Blue Origin, SpaceX, Coinbase, NamePros, etc. Here are some examples of what we consider high quality.

I see what you did there. Ranking by price is misleading. The default "Relevance" shows completely different picture.

On the first page there are names like wolf/ora, ka/aft, app/rila, zur/ova, v/esert, furn/ixo, salary/leap, gil/ur, joi/ti, gift/glad, oro/min, flavor/spin etc. that are at best hand-reg quality. How they are premium in your definition of it (apparently, you claim that you guys are very selective in your premiums) and, more importantly, why you think they are so good that they should be on the first page by relevance is just beyond me.

I mean, it is your site and you can do whatever you like, but please don't claim that Alter is somehow super-selective in quality. The names on your FIRST page are nowhere near your examples above like yahoo, google, paypal, stripe, subway, blue origin, spacex, coinbase, namepros etc. They are similar to yahoo/va, googol/rila, stripe/leap, subway/glad, blu/oromin, apple/spin, amazon/ur, coinbase/ti etc.

•••
I sold a hand-reg yesterday on Alter. I hand-registered this two-word .com domain name 6 months ago for 6.99 USD and now I sold it for 1299 USD (net proceeds after the 10% commission: 1169 USD). Total profit: 1162 USD.

This domain was originally accepted as a premium domain.

The transaction went smoothly, I quickly pushed this domain to Alter, then I received the money in 1 day. So the transaction was closed from start to finish in 1 day.

I received the full amount, PayPal didn't charge me any fees.

Overall great experience!

•••
In case people have not noticed, you can now price domains at Alter with whatever ending you want. Used to have to be 99 or 00 ending. Given how successful HD and sellers like Swetha have with 88 endings, I have started repricing some of mine to that. Maybe it has been changed for some time but I just noticed it.

It seemed to work, as one I repriced to 88 ending sold BIN a few days ago B-) From notification, through transfer, then transaction complete, and then payout I selected to PayPal all took less than 24 hr. Very smooth. This was my second sale overall at Alter, but first in many months. The name sold was a short .xyz that could be viewed as a first name or as a brandable. My BIN was $1288. I kept a bit of my return in Alter as I plan to purchase professional logos for a few of my names. I figure over a long holding period the enhanced sale probability make it worthwhile.

In case you have not noticed it, the TM search in Alter is really readable and informative. You, or potential purchasers, can access it from the text links at the bottom of the page.

I wonder if it would be possible to slightly extend the timeout period? I am slow, I know, but usually when I am doing things on Alter I am also checking things in Whois, my spreadsheet, perhaps another marketplace or email, and it often times out on me.

Thanks so much for such a great platform, and one that is so responsive to suggestions and constantly getting better.

Bob

•••
Sold my first name with Alter.com

illevia.com - $1099
Hand regged
listed for 2 months. Buyer first inquired in early December 2020.

The process with alter was smooth. The 10% commission sure is a treat compared to their competitors 30% fee.

•••
So when I read on here about Alter now accepting non-premium names, I tried adding my first non-premium listing to Alter a week ago (I had a few months ago submitted about 20 something names of which 3 were accepted and are listed as premium names - I have not yet sold any of those 3).

I meant to add more non-premium last weekend, but actually only added 1. I was pleased when 6 days after listing a single domain name I got notice from an Alter rep that there was a potential client but their upper price was less than my listing price. It was a name I felt flexible on, was keen to make a sale, so accepted, and within 24 hr the client paid, name was transferred, I was paid, I cashed out to PayPal.

For now I am not disclosing name or sales price as I am not clear on Alter's policy regarding disclosure of sales? The name is a 5-letter pronounceable name I had hand registered a couple of years ago. I had earlier submitted it to SH and Alter for premium, but was not accepted. The name builds on word in language other than English.

So, so far I am really happy with Alter as a now hybrid platform. Things I liked:
  • Listing was easy.
  • Verification works fast and well (I now have listed another dozen or so names after my first sale).
  • I like the landers. They look professional and include enough detail to help with sales.
  • Idea of their lander showing well known brands with same number of letters as your name is a great idea.
  • The sales process and payout worked fast and easy.
  • The agent I dealt with was professional, helpful and friendly.
  • The 10% commission is great for the level of service offered.
  • I like the analytics they offer. I can see how many times each name gets viewed, if it gets favourited, where overall traffic to my names is coming from.
A few hints:
  1. Remember to use capitalization if your name suits it.
  2. Think carefully for the 3 category choices. The list of options is well thought out.
  3. While the logo editor is very basic, it does allow you to change the font and colour. Do try some logo options. Note that the background colour changes according to your font colour. I did not at all like the default logo look, but after trying a bunch of fonts and colours was much happier.
  4. While Alter will generate a generic description and use an algorithm to assign keywords, and sometimes these are not too bad, you can definitely improve by editing them yourself. You set a one sentence lead sentence, the keywords, and a number of ways the name could be used. This takes a few minutes, but is well worth the time.
  5. Remember to take name down from other marketplaces before listing on Alter. They will quickly post it on their partner sites, with a markup to reflect the commission, but you can't keep your own say Sedo or DAN listings and list it on Alter. For names I plan to list on Alter I first take them down everywhere, and set the DNS to Alter before listing so there is a bit of propagation time for verification. Then I list on Alter.
I don't see it much yet, but even with priority system, I am a little worried if a lot of really low quality names will overwhelm the site. I hope our community will show restraint in only listing solid names on the site.

Great job, Alter. Impressed with your service and the depth you answer suggestions here.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Hi!
I was recently sold the domain xxxxx.org on alter.com for $6804 in 12 month installments.
I used several sites such as Sedo, Afternic, Godaddy, Dan, Epic etc.
Recently changed the parking of 350 domains to alter.com.
There seems to be a definite advantage to installment sales.
A number of inquiries and negotiations are currently underway.
I hope alter.com will rapidly expand the market and lead the market.

alter sales.jpg

•••
Alter.com is just awesome, sold insuran.com at low 5 figures . 2nd sales within 10 days.

The speed of sales completion are unexpectedly fast, faster than afternic.com fast transfer premium listing sales . Money already in my bank account in Hong Kong.

I am considering to migrate all my domains to alter.com to enjoy the lowest 10% fee , if they fit into Alter.com selection criterias

•••
Hi everyone.. we just released some major improvements! :)

As always, we'd like to thank you for using Alter to sell your domain names. We truly appreciate your continued support.

We're always listening to all your feedback and trying to make our marketplace the best that we possibly can for you. We're excited to announce a number of new improvements!

Rethinking Premium

After our last big announcement, we received a lot of valuable feedback from sellers regarding our premium selection process. A lot of sellers felt like the process was unfair when their names weren't chosen. Since there was no real consensus on what high quality actually meant, we couldn't make everyone happy. Additionally, buyers don't seem to care about this because we've sold just as many premium domains as non-premium.

So after careful consideration, we've decided to drop the premium label altogether. We will no longer review names manually. Instead, we built a smarter search algorithm that uses a number of factors to rank names based on buyer feedback rather than our or the seller's opinion.

Everything from the domain's extension, length, price, brandability, popularity, and more will be used to determine its rank. Just like the Google search algorithm, we'll continually adjust it over time based on buyer feedback to ensure an optimal experience and high STR.

Based on our initial testing, the algorithm is working very well and often better than our manual curation process! This means high quality names will continue to thrive while giving new listings an equal opportunity (just like SEO).

Make Offer

You can now accept offers for your domain names! Make Offer can be enabled for all your domains in bulk or for each individual domain by clicking on its Change Price button and setting a minimum offer value. Once enabled, you will be able to negotiate directly with buyers from your Alter control panel.

wdSWxGwDsCP-uHX8AUxNsVqP7sqFoA1s_JC_kwOHLGy94OISm5ATRZTNxBw02kCEd6A2E5S0DtOa3B7ur-7wajoZxqr91Q=s0-d-e1-ft

Our new Offers page will show you all the new and existing offers for your domains. You will also be able to see the buyer's name, country, and partial email address to help you negotiate like a pro!

nroiLnr3GNcTzFFnLRvI_NN7OpUv85b7pgqRzc_4Idyq8Cl3HQSCy1ezruf1x4wNy5oWjmNUnt6cV9hPi6goqCc=s0-d-e1-ft

Appraisals

Say hello to our free AI-powered domain appraisal tool! We've engineered it from the ground up to estimate the value of any domain name using a variety of factors including millions of historical sales. And the best part of it all is that it's built right inside our control panel for easy access.

75aOrpyH6FddqZTDRSXMzlGLOyy4SJrpzezRIYcrIVc2hqSx1r57z0qeho27NRXkjDTU2iCKzwboL66mHV5QV47b96g=s0-d-e1-ft

Paypal & Crypto

Who doesn't love flexibility? We've added new payment methods to our marketplace! In addition to credit cards and wire transfers, buyers can now purchase domains using PayPal and a variety of cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Dogecoin, and more.

QFthvZxw_RCi4NqQ7SnqzwVzlvTZwHwM3FMO58DYRNoNZp9x3WsN6MbRsgFnOCGhl3VX012O908OSLG2tgxd2vGh0Wk-FZAfubg=s0-d-e1-ft

Similar Names

We've replaced the Featured Names section with Similar Names across all landing pages to help improve the browsing experience for buyers and generate more relevant traffic for sellers.

EfSzO6wFbflv7fxCj8UHx5z7l3CBa4wUrgHQI1lXJp6msb5V5BemKzBLmuB34SoGTG6T5qp36KarutjCYRH_xf242BspFNx-=s0-d-e1-ft

That said, we understand that a number of sellers don't like this idea for one reason or another so we've made it optional. You can toggle this feature on or off by heading over to Settings > Similar Names. Please note that disabling this feature will reduce traffic to your own listings and may lower your sell-through rate so we highly recommend leaving it on.

Google Analytics

Although our built-in dashboard already provides valuable insights, you can now see more detailed traffic data for your landing pages through Google Analytics. Simply enter your Tracking ID and/or Measurement ID under Settings > Google Analytics to set it up.

Bulk Tools

We've made it even easier to manage domains in bulk. Simply click on the Manage Domains button found on the Domains page to access the new bulk tools.

xxS4IiCVh1Av1yrgK1GMwOC4SYI-oI0UOMxt_HCs-6aGW9wzxtbRv5AzIr-BnDCKRQHK5w4OIyYVbYbT_yE7g2Cm1ok2=s0-d-e1-ft

Alter Benefits

Our goal has always been to offer the most value for the least cost. With these improvements, we've blown past that goal. To quickly recap, below are all the benefits you receive at Alter in return for our low all-inclusive 10% commission:
  • Domain Logos: Names with logos help your listings stand out from the crowd which is proven to increase sales. You can use our logo designer to create them for free, upload your own for free, or even order professional designs directly from your account.
  • More Exposure: In addition to type-in traffic, your domains are marketed via PPC, SEO, social media, remarketing, and more.
  • Installment Plans: Buyers can pay using monthly installments spread over 3-36 months which is proven to increase STR.
  • Concierge Service: During a sale, we hold the domain securely in our own registrar account to ensure safe delivery to the buyer.
  • Syndication: Your domains are automatically listed on over 650 partner marketplaces and registrars for maximum exposure.
  • SSL Redirects: Our platform automatically redirects traffic through HTTPS links so you don't miss out on any leads.
  • Traffic Breakdown: We show you exactly how much traffic we're generating for your portfolio directly on your dashboard.
  • Customer Service: Buyers have the option to contact us via live chat/phone/email and talk to a real person instantly.
  • Social Validation: Our 5-star TrustPilot reviews and mentions on top tier publications like Forbes, Inc, WaPo, and USA Today help establish credibility with buyers.
  • Chargeback Protection: Your sales are protected against fraudulent disputes. We got your back!
  • No Hidden Fees: Our commission is all-inclusive with no other hidden processing fees that may scare away buyers.
We're confident that these improvements will further enhance our marketplace and ultimately generate more sales for you. If you have any feedback or concerns, please feel free to reach out at any time.

•••
And yes, we'll certainly look into supporting Payoneer if there's enough demand. Thanks for the suggestion! :)
In line with @Deven Patel statement above, l suggest those interested in their supporting Payoneer, like this my comment so he can have idea of the number of people that needs it.

•••
Thanks for all the compliments everyone! :)

Let me try and answer all your questions in one shot below:

One question about the automatic listings on other marketplaces. How will this be handled when the domain is already listed there (at a higher price)? I understood that this was no problem. Is the text below a policy change? Your website now states the following:

Can I list my domains anywhere else?
No, we have to be the exclusive seller of your domains in order to prevent problems with our partners. But there's no need to list your domains elsewhere because we already list them on popular marketplaces and registrars on your behalf (see above). This means you don't have to worry about dealing with different companies, updating prices across accounts, re-verifying domains, etc.

Correct, it's a policy change that will go into effect on February 15th for existing sellers as mentioned above. It was a tough decision but we had to do it in order to maintain a good relationship with our new partners. As you may know, a number of these partners have to manually approve domains submitted to their platform. So if a domain exists in multiple accounts on their marketplace, it creates a lot of manual work for them to fix the problem (i.e. re-verifying ownership, etc).

Edit: Sellers can now list anywhere else they like except with our partners.

All brandable marketplaces have been struggling with incorporating Afternic because of policy issues that prevent 3rd parties (in this case Alter) from listing domains owned by other people. Is there definitely an agreement in place with them?

I personally had a phone conversation with their team and they have confirmed that it's okay for Alter to submit domains owned by other sellers with their permission.

Edit: There was a misunderstanding. Afternic/Uniregistry are not our partners at this time.

By the way, I disagree with the way it's stated here. Exceptions make it more difficult to manage a large portfolio. Always.

We definitely didn't make this decision lightly. There are always pros and cons to everything. After thinking it through we came to the conclusion that the pros outweighed the cons in this situation.

The way I see it is if you have a brandable domain, you'll most likely submit it to Alter for review first. If declined, you can list it anywhere else you like. If accepted and you choose to list it with us, we take care of everything on your behalf making it super easy for sellers to manage their brandable portfolio.

And as I mentioned above, we kind of had to do this in order to maintain a good relationship with the partners (i.e. the partners won't like working with us if we end up creating a lot of manual work for them).

My question is if a name sells in any of these marketplaces when you list them there urself, will you still charge selllers 10%? For names selling externally. This will determine whether we as sellers wik be able to follow put with the new development.

Overall good job...

If a domain is sold through one of our partners, you still only pay 10% commission on the price assigned to it on Alter. We'll simply list it at slightly higher prices on other marketplaces to compensate for their higher commission.

The other option we had was to raise our commission to something like 30% and subtract theirs from it like the other brandable marketplaces do. We didn't think it was fair for sellers to pay more for all their domains if only a subset of them sell through partners so we decided to do the above instead.

Will I still be able to list Alter-accepted domains on my own websites / whitelabel marketplaces? Some of these have only static content with price indications, others have BINs and use the payment/escrow function of DAN, Escrow.com, etc.

Is it possible to list a name on your own website, not a marketplace, if the link is to the listing at Alter? I would think this is in everyone's advantage.

Like many others, I would like to know if sellers are allowed to list their domains on their own websites / personal white label marketplaces or not anymore?

As I mentioned above, the primary goal of the exclusivity is to protect our relationship with our new partners. As long as that's not threatened (domains aren't listed in a separate partner account), I don't see a problem with that. :)

That said, I personally don't see much of a benefit of listing them on your own site/white label. Wouldn't it create more unnecessary work for sellers? And buyers would prefer to buy through a trusted source anyway (i.e. if the same blender was offered on both Amazon and a random Shopify store, where would you buy it?).

And the non-exclusivity was the only reason I signed up for Alter in the first place. Will rethink about adding more domains.

Not sure why you think this is a problem rather than a solution. We spoke to a number of sellers about this and almost all agreed that this was the right move (less work for them, more exposure for their domains).

The exclusivity really becomes a non-factor when you consider that you're getting exposure on 99% of the marketplaces and registrars on the planet without lifting a finger and all for the same low commission. I guess I don't quite understand why you would want to create more work for yourself by managing your domains everywhere manually when we're willing to take care of it for you. Can you please help me understand?

And in terms of determining the value Alter provides for you, we just added a "Traffic Breakdown" chart on your dashboard. It allows you to see exactly how much traffic comes through our marketplace vs directly through your domains. :)

Edit: Sellers can now list anywhere else they like except with our partners.

Any updates on these? I'm surprised not even the first one was done.

No other updates to report at this time. But rest assured that everyone's feedback is being considered.

Thinking about this a bit. When I'm listing my domains myself with Sedo, Afternic, DAN, I have the advantage of fast transfer, SedoMLS, and I can decide about the price myself. In the new construction, Alter will place my domains on these same marketplaces without these advantages and will get an affiliate fee for this if a domain sells. This will make Alter a different type of company. The new Sedo?

Unfortunately, sellers will not be able to take advantage of fast transfer at this time because there's no easy way to enable it in this scenario. However, your domains will still appear on the registrars listed above so the additional benefit of it seems minuscule. The benefit being buyers able to instantly get the domain upon a sale rather than having to go through the steps of transferring it manually. So the overall sell-through rate wouldn't really be affected.

In fact, Alter prices your names higher on the other marketplaces. I can do this myself and have even more advantages, like stated earlier. Also: the logos on Alter will not appear on the other marketplaces. I'm not looking for a service that is managing listings for me. I liked the idea that Alter is a brandable marketplace without exclusivity. But this changed as of today.

So then how else do you suggest we get compensated for the additional work? As I mentioned above, raising our commission to 30% like our competitors is an option. Would you prefer that instead? I don't see what the issue is if you're getting the same amount you agreed to by listings your domains on Alter. In other words, what difference does it make how much the buyer pays for your domain if you get the same share. It's not like we're making any more either.

I hope you realize that we're not swimming in profit here. Out of our 10% commission, we have to pay a 3% transaction fee to our payment partner. That leaves 7% for staff, designers, customer service, marketing, development, partnerships, etc, etc. We're certainly not trying to rip you off if that's what you're thinking. Our goal is simply to provide the best marketplace we can with as low of a cost as possible (i.e. more bang for your buck). And of course, make a little profit for ourselves in the process.

Anyway, it seems like your mind is already made up. I hope you stay with us but it's ultimately your decision. If there's anything we can do to help change your mind, please let us know! :)

Could you share success stories from Alter?

We haven't decided to share any data publicly at this time. But you can browse through this thread for past sales by NamePros sellers.

Hopefully, I covered everyone's questions. If not, please let me know!

Last edited:
•••
I wanted to comment on this thread and say we are not aware of any partnership with this marketplace, Alter.com, either with Afternic or Uniregistry. If there is any misunderstanding please feel free to contact us.

•••
I will add though that you are much better at communicating with potential/customers than some of the other platforms. So you also have that in your favour. Much more respectful and I get a professional impression of your business from the outside.

Thanks for the compliments! Much appreciated. :)

I do not believe in the merit of any additional marketing that brandable marketplace do. Pretty much all the traffic comes from us the sellers.

I think this is the crux of the problem. You don't believe in the additional marketing. There's nothing wrong with that but with all due respect it's not fair for you to judge something that you don't fully understand. That's no different than me judging you based on your limited NamePros activity (i.e. I have no idea about your background or life experiences so it wouldn't be fair of me to judge you or your capabilities).

I agree that the big platforms don't do any additional marketing but we do. That is one of our differentiators. We're not just competing against big platforms solely on commission, we're actually competing on STR. More marketing = more sales which again I know you don't believe in but it's true. Otherwise, why would we do it at all?

Instead of me asking you to just believe me, here's a list of random buyers we recently encountered via live chat:

V53874: I am looking the best name to start up in fintech

V55455: do you have any domain names that could be potential for staffing companies I could look at ?

V72384: I'm working on new business with partners and looking for a name, and a name where we can get the .com address

V53733: looking for a brand name , for hair and skin care products

V13969: i am looking for a cool costruction company name

V82190: Searching for a busines name for soap and body product sales

Your argument is that these don't matter because they don't come through your landing page. But you can clearly see that these are motivated buyers looking to buy a domain. So you don't think it's worth paying a couple more percent in commission to raise your probability of a sale?

I'm also not asking you to choose Alter blindly. We have been very transparent about how much traffic we're generating to your portfolio through our traffic breakdown chart that looks something like this (you can view the data at the portfolio level or at the individual domain level):
traffic-breakdown.png

We provide this tool to make the decision super easy for you. I haven't seen any other marketplace offer this data because like you said they're probably only relying on landing page traffic.

And as you say the buyers are not interested in other names anyway.

I never said 100% of buyers are not interested in other names. You're selectively choosing your points to make your argument. I said that a good 10-20% of them are. If we didn't see any buyers coming through our marketing channels then why would we waste time and money on marketing? As you said, we'd be better off offering a lower commission for a lander-only service.

Take a look at the graph above. Even if the STR is lower for marketplace traffic compared to direct traffic, why wouldn't you want to increase the chance of a sale?

If data showed us that the 44% of marketplace traffic didn't result in a single sale then why we would bother with it at all? At that point, we'd just drop all our marketing efforts and lower the commission like you said.

Having a toggle on or off is not a big change.

From a technical standpoint, you're correct. However, every little option we offer creates more confusion for sellers because it introduces more questions in their head (i.e. will I sell more domains with it on or off). Rather if we can figure out which way works better than we can just offer that one way and keep things simple. Simplicity is often underrated (i.e. think iOS vs Android).

Does Dan etc leak traffic from sales page?

Of course they do. You're overlooking the number of links in the header and footer of their landing pages that point back to their homepage. And again, your comments make it seem like buyers willing to drop thousands on a domain are too ignorant to find alternatives on their own.

Those cc fees are lower for high volume businesses.

I'm sure we can get a discount on CC fees once we have the volume. But we don't right now so we have to work with what we can get.

Sav are not going to be doing similar service at a loss at 4% so I think you are paying too much.

I can't speak of their behalf but as I mentioned above they seem like they're giving away the service for free to gain market share which I'm not sure is sustainable in the long run. They also don't offer concierge service, payment plans, or chargeback protection. Not to mention the additional marketing which I know you don't believe in but works.

No other industry I can think of would you leak traffic to competitors when you don't have to.

I think you have it the other way around. All other marketplaces "leak it" because they know it actually works better that way. eBay, Amazon, Etsy, Wayfair, etc... sellers there compete on price and quality.

In any case, I think we can probably go back and forth on this forever because it's very difficult for people to change their existing beliefs. Our goal as a marketplace is to make everyone happy but since everyone has their own opinion on what they think works and doesn't, I'm not sure we can.

Regardless of whether you decide to use Alter or not, I wanted to thank you again for sharing your thoughts because every perspective helps us shape our marketplace for the better. :)

Last edited:
•••
Why would it better to use alter ?

I think we would need to know their commitment and amount of ad expenses to know the true value.

What differentiates your marketplace from any other at this point?

Check out my very first post of this thread. That original vision hasn't changed. Our goal has always been to help buyers find the perfect brand name for their new company, product, or service.

For sellers, Alter brings the benefits of a brandable marketplace to all domains. Though keep in mind that brandable vs non-brandable are just keywords coined by domainers. Buyers don't know the difference or care for that matter.

Compared to other marketplaces (brandable or not), we're super efficient at everything and reinvest majority of the profit we generate back into marketing. In fact, while we were marketing our inventory on AdWords we noticed that there were only two other brandable marketplaces competing for the same ads (based on impression share). One spent a little more than us while another spent less. And surprisingly, we didn't see any non-brandable marketplace on that list. We might be the only marketplace that actually markets non-brandables.

In terms of marketing commitment, we've invested 3X our profit back into marketing so far and since we launched last year I have personally invested thousands of dollars into the company without taking a single penny out. Can you say the same about any other marketplace?

I understand not everyone here will agree with our strategy but all the decisions we've made have only helped us and our sellers in the big picture. We went from 0 to almost 400,000 monthly visitors in just under a year. Check out our traffic chart below. This month has also been our top sales month to date. :)

alter-traffic.png

For those that are curious about the types of ads we run, below is a small sample.

alter-ads.png

Then there's SEO which has the best ROI but the toughest to crack. We're constantly working on it and have achieved a lot in a small amount of time. Check out our current rankings for a small sample of keywords below. We now rank higher than DNJournal for the keyword "top domain sales"!

alter-seo.png

These are just a few things we're working on. Plenty more on our roadmap but of course we're not going to give away our entire playbook. ;)

All in all, if you intend to keep a brandable market very high quality with hand picked domains, you simply need a lot of marketing and therefore STR would skyrocket between a smaller pool of domains. In that case, I think they needed to charge more commission and charge for listings.

Correct. As I had explained in a previous post, running a brandable-only marketplace at 10% commission is very unprofitable especially with a small inventory. And even at 30% commission it seems like our competitors aren't able to make it work which is probably why they keep increasing their own inventories to 100K+ names. It seems like every brandable marketplace eventually ends up at the same spot as we've seen countless times in the past (increase inventory to be profitable).

We spent a considerable amount of money marketing on Google/Facebook/LinkedIn/Twitter/etc and noticed that the customer acquisition cost was wayy beyond $1,000+. That means it would cost way more than $1,000 to acquire a single customer who ends up buying a $2-3k domain. Of course, we don't know the exact CAC because of our very small sample size but my point is that it's super expensive to acquire customers through ads alone (it could cost $1k or even $10k to acquire a single customer). This is probably why they charge 30% and increase their inventories to 100K+ names (bigger inventory = more direct traffic = free advertising). And on the non-brandable side, this is probably why marketplaces don't invest in paid marketing because the numbers can't work with their current commission rates.

The main concept and advantage of a brandable marketplace should be a curated and well organized portfolio with quality names.

If there is no manual curation, what stops people from submitting a bunch of non-brandable, subpar domains on the marketplace? Is your automatic tool really going to be able to differentiate them from domains which should be on a brandable domain marketplace?

Yes, exactly. That's the goal and so far it's working like a charm. You can see the results here: https://alter.com/names

We're trying to do what Google did to Yahoo. Yahoo was a manually curated directory until Google decided to eat their lunch using an automated algorithm. Just because we're not manually curating domains doesn't mean we're not manually working on our algorithm. Just like how Google constantly updates their SEO algo, we're going to keep adjusting it to weed out low quality names.

The whole point of dropping the premium label was so that sellers didn't feel excluded when their names weren't chosen as premium. This levels the playing field yet gives quality names the exposure they deserve.

Again, think of it like SEO. There are trillions of pages indexed by Google yet only the high quality results show up at the top. However, Google can still show the low quality results if there are no high quality results available for certain long-tail keywords. Win-win! :)

I still think its a positive strategy. but do not compare this to the next big thing.

Thanks for the compliment. We're not trying to be the next big thing, at least at this stage. We're just trying to sell more domains. Even if all our effort only results in a small increase in STR compared to listing elsewhere, it's still a win. Wouldn't you agree? More bang for your buck!

Oh, what a difference from

Sept. 2020 - we want to build the best brandable marketplace for highly curated high quality domain names

to

Aug 2021 - we are a "list any crap you like" marketplace like Dan or Afternic.

I saw a 4 words domain name listed ... it's sad really.

Anyway, do they still ask to let them know a month in advance if you want to remove your name(s)? That would be silly now but I guess you never know...

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate the fact that you took time out of your busy life to comment on this thread. Must mean we're doing something right? ;)

If you've been following this thread, you would know that we're very open minded. We're always learning and evolving. We're not afraid to swallow our pride and put our ego aside for the greater good.

"If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough." - Elon Musk

That said, as I mentioned above our original vision of helping buyers find their perfect brand name hasn't changed. The path may have shifted but the destination is still the same.

Based on the number of your posts I've read on NP, you seem like a very smart individual. Why not offer productive ideas that can benefit everyone instead of this pointless criticism? Or if you'd rather keep your ideas to yourself and think you can do a better job, why not launch another marketplace and compete against everyone? Actions speak louder than words, my friend.

Btw, we never asked sellers to give us a 30 day notice prior to moving their names even though it doesn't benefit us.

Why would somebody list their domains for syndication on your marketplace? You list on DAN, for example, so that sellers don't need to do that themselves. HOWEVER, you mark up the domains thereby reducing the sellers' STR. Why on earth wouldn't a seller list their domains on DAN themselves with the original price?

The main benefit is the convenience of not having to worry about dealing with different companies, updating prices across accounts, re-verifying domains, etc. A number of sellers asked for this so we implemented it. It also made sense because personally I'd rather spend that extra time finding new names to invest in rather than on maintaining existing inventory.

Based on our experience, a small difference in the pricing doesn't impact STR because domains are unique. It's no different than having Afternic or Sedo list on their MLS networks even though a lot of those registrars have markups.

Unlike 99% of products listed on Amazon, there can only be one owner of each domain. And when buyers want that specific domain they're not going to care about the 10-20% difference in pricing because they don't even know there's a difference (if they did, they would simply buy it from the marketplace that offered it for the cheapest in which case you still get that sale).

Anyway, we understand that everyone has their own opinion about this which is why we made syndication optional.

What I notice after the update is, the domains listed at Alter are not seen on Dan or Sedo. Though the traffic stats shows visits from partner, still they are not seen on those platforms. It was showing earlier..

Can you please reach out to support so we can look into this in more detail?

I currently use dan for my domains (20k+), is it possible to sell all over alter ? Do you have a csv import/export and/or API for bulk sellers ?

Yes sir! We would love to have you on board. At this time, our bulk add tool allows you to add up to 100 domains at a time but you can send your spreadsheet to support and we'll take care of it for you.

Does Alter also pay sellers in Cryptocurrency or is it just an option for buyers of domain names? And how about the 60 Day lock. Do we have to wait or there is a way around it like Dan does. Thank you.

At this time crypto is only an option for buyers. Regarding the 60 day lock, you don't need to wait. If in a rare situation a buyer purchases a domain within that time frame, we would just encourage a free push to the same registrar. So far we haven't had any negative experiences due to this.

I'd like to order more logos, but it's not easy to see which domains already have (custom) logos in my portfolio. With larger portfolios like mine (737 domains at Alter, atm) this really is an issue. I'd like to spend more, but miss the overview.

I agree with @Future Sensors that a logo indicator would be useful in the domain manager.

For some of my domains, I'd like the Basic Logo to explicitely include the TLD in the logo text. For example with non-com domains like .net and .org, but also with .shop and other TLDs where the TLD is an essential part of the context.

Done and done. :)

•••
I have many opinions, but to share my constructive criticism.

Thank you, my friend! Constructive feedback is always more useful and can benefit everyone in the long run. Even with everything else in life, people would be much more productive if we were able to put our differences and egos aside for the greater good. So I truly appreciate your and everyone else's constructive feedback. :)

what % estimate of buyers use the " Price Low / High " Search option ?

This is very unfriendly as it currently shows any " make offer " first, which im sure will tire the buyers,
The other option you would have is show a ton of the low ball no premiums and there is a ton of wacky Geo's , 3 words , and low ball low quality domains. I suggest a base price for all.

Not many. I looked at our data and it seems like ~3% our visitors sort by price (high to low) and ~1% sort by price (low to high). It's also hard to differentiate between how many of these are buyers vs sellers so the number is actually much lower for buyers.

I agree that in a perfect world this would work better but if we want to give all domains an equal chance then I think we'll have to make this minor sacrifice. It's a damned if we do and damned if we don't situation. Before, we received complaints from sellers that their non-premium names weren't showing up when sorted by price. This approach solves that problem.

Anyway, as you can see above it's not going to have much negative impact because sort by "relevance" is used majority of the time. Buyers almost never sort by price without filtering the names down further using the search bar so they'll never want to sort our entire inventory by price. And in the rare event that they do, they would simply use the price filter to weed out the outliers.

Also, there is an advantage to this which is that buyers who do see the outrageously priced domains will appreciate the well priced domains even more (i.e. if you see MyTechShop.com listed for $100K and TechShop.com listed for $10K, you would feel like the latter is a great deal and would want to purchase it instantly). So in a way, it helps motivate sellers to price their names competitively.

That said, if you or anyone else has a better way of dealing with this please feel free to share your thoughts. We're always learning and more than happy to consider your ideas. :)

That being said the other non user friendly thing I see, is a buyer can only skip 3 pages at a time, and or 270 pages. no in between options,

This is normal. I think BB uses the same strategy. Generally nobody would want to skip pages (i.e. think about how often you skip pages during a Google search). And having the last page there helps those very small number of curious buyers see the end of the results. Even Amazon uses the same strategy. See here: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=camera

You need to figure out how to start paying sellers in crypto if you want more sellers bringing their names to Alter.

Agreed. This is already on our roadmap. We typically prioritize new features based on demand so thanks for your vote.

Well done. You made an algorithm to pick out domains based on their length and pronounceability. I do notice, though, that most of the domains shown are made up brandable words. The only one on the first page (for me) which isn't is HugeCode.com but I'm sure that's a coincidence as your system detected it to be an 8 letter pronounceable domain. So short brandables are preferred to two word domains like HerbalZone.com, CodingCity.com etc.

This isn't necessarily bad, I just want to know more about this if you don't mind. Was this made on purpose because made up brandables are universal and would work on multiple niches (generally speaking)? So then, when someone lands on the front page, they are shown these general purpose domains but if they filter by niche, like coding & programming, they are shown domains like CodingCity.com, HugeCode.com etc.
If so, that would make sense. Do you have a rough overview of how these made up pronounceables are doing on Alter?

We don't specifically prioritize between made up vs keyword based names. The algorithm relies more heavily on buyer feedback. This means the ranks can change based on new trends, etc (just like SEO). Unfortunately, I can't give you the specifics because then some sellers would try to game it. But I can tell you that we use a variety of factors and buyer signals to rank names. Also, note that it can often take a few days or weeks before a name finds it's true position in the results because the algo is continuously collecting and assessing new data for each individual name.

There's a loophole in that kind of thinking. If there is no difference in STR with a price increase of 10%, then I could increase the price of all my domains by 10% and keep the same STR. Then after that, I could increase it by 10% more and still have the same STR and so on. It's well known that higher price -> lower STR although it may not matter on a small sample size.

We're not talking about double or triple the price. If you know that the buyer likes a domain and is willing to pay $1,000 for it then $1,100 isn't a deal breaker but $3,000 would be.

It's all about the pros and cons at the end of the day. What I often ask myself before making a decision about anything is... how much is my time worth? In other words, how can I best leverage my time to generate the most value?

After we set a portfolio page, How about showing a link to our portfolio on the landing pages of our domains And if we disable showing similar domains from the landing pages, it should be replaced with other domains from our own portfolio.

That's an interesting idea. But I wonder, would showing unrelated domains really be that useful to buyers? Does it actually generate more sales for sellers? I wonder if anyone has any data or valuable insights around this. We would be happy to implement it if there's a tangible benefit.

Alter's inventory now has domain names of high and low quality.

What kinds of domain names in Alter are advertised in Google and social media platforms?

All of them. :)

So there are primarily two types of ads we run on Google/social media: retargeting ads and general ads.

The retargeting ads target specific domains. When a buyer visits your domain's landing page, they're tagged with a cross-site cookie. Then when they visit another website like Forbes for example, they'll see an ad with your name that points back to your landing page.

The general ads target specific keyword and category pages on our website. This is where your name's ranking comes into play because most buyers will only browse through the first few pages of the results (just like you do on Google when searching for anything). All names are treated equally when they're added to our platform. Over time, our smart algo will determine which ones rank higher than others based on a number of factors like the domain's extension, length, price, brandability, popularity, etc (just like how SEO works).

Beyond ads, there are other ways buyers can find your name like if it appears under another name in the similar business names section, if it appears alongside one of our trademark pages, etc, etc. We're constantly finding new and innovative ways to drive traffic to your landing pages.

The only thing you have to work on is finding quality names to invest in because there's no substitute for quality. In other words, no amount of traffic will help you if your names are low quality.

I miss the free logos :)

I understand that the problem was that some sellers kept removing the domains too frequently.

But you know who the trusted sellers are who don't keep removing the domains constantly.

Could you please continue designing logos for free for the trusted sellers? But not for every domain. If your AI appraisal tool calculates 1999 USD or more value for a domain name, then you could take a look at that domain and if it is really a good domain and the seller is trusted, you could design a logo for free.

Or you could provide free logo credits for trusted sellers based on the quality and quantity of their domain portfolio, should these sellers keep their domains at Alter long enough.

It would be a win-win since the logos improve the quality of the marketplace and help to sell the quality domains faster. And free logos are an incentive for sellers to keep their domains at Alter, because new sellers won't receive free logos, only the sellers who keep their domains at Alter.

I do understand your concern. But the issue is if we were to do that, we'd have a bunch of sellers come out of the woodwork and start complaining again about why we didn't choose their names or give them the free credits. The current approach levels the playing field for everyone. In fact, the "unfair" complaints dropped significantly since our last announcement.

If you're worried about the cost, here's a strategy I would suggest. Order professional logos for only a few of your top names at first. Then once you sell one, you can reinvest that profit in the other names slowly over time. By then you should also get an idea of whether you want to even keep some of the other names in your portfolio by sorting them by visitors, favorites, offers, etc. And of course, all the logos we designed for your old premium inventory are still there. :)

Domain stats are not updating and domain appraisal is too limited, we reach the daily limit too quickly.

We're not aware of any technical issues at the moment. Which stats are you referring to? Please note that the data on your dashboard is displayed in real-time. The stats you see on the Domains page update every 24 hours or so as mentioned on that page.

Regarding the appraisal limit, I asked you this before but never received a response. How many domains are you trying to appraise? We have a daily limit to prevent abuse. Though the limit for logged in users is much higher than for visitors.

I just found out that pointing your nameservers to Alter is a requirement to list there.

No, it's not just for confirmation. I'd understand if it was a brandable marketplace like before but now with the sheer volume of names bring submitted, I don't quite see the point.

Deven himself said that most buyers are decided buyers and are going to buy, wherever the namersvers point to.
I tested some and the average views from the marketplace (not direct type in is consiredably less than 1 per name). Since the switch away from the brandable marketplace type is only recent, I suspect the number of names will grow manifold and thus the number of views will fall drastically.

I struggle to see how it's worth it to risk direct type in visitors being distracted by other names for that <0.1 visitors per day my name is going to bring via the marketplace. I understand the average visitor through the marketplace is higher quality than a type in visitor but still. Not that much more surely.

That has always been the case. Come on now.. you can't have your cake and eat it too. We're not running a charity here. :-,

Why is it okay for brandable marketplaces to require you to use their landers? IMO, it should be the opposite. Since they charge you a whopping 30% commission, they can afford to pay hundreds if not thousands to acquire a buyer through paid channels alone. We can't so we reply on type-in traffic to help shoulder that cost. Not sure why you think it's okay for them even though they're already charging you an arm and a leg for it on top.

Beyond that, there are a couple of other reasons why we do this and both have to do with fairness.
  1. Fairness to us: Since we actually market your names, it wouldn't make sense for another marketplace to get the sale if one of our buyers ends up typing the domain into their browser and purchasing it elsewhere.
  2. Fairness to other sellers: If other sellers are willing to point there domains to our marketplace and share a portion of their traffic with you then it wouldn't be fair to them if you didn't. This is also true on other marketplaces.
Regarding distractions, based on what we're seeing majority of the type-in leads only want the domains they landed on so those wouldn't be at risk. If they were, nobody would ever use any marketplace (there are millions of domains that use landers on other marketplaces).

However, there are a small number of leads that land on the domain and decide not to buy it. Unless there's a decent number of alternatives available to them, they would just leave. Contrary to what some here believe, you can't just force them to buy another completely unrelated name by locking them in. But a large marketplace can still try to convert these leads with their much larger inventory. Just try and put yourself in the buyer's shoes and think about it. Play it out in your head.

I think a lot of sellers are scared about this unnecessarily. Just think about the fact that GoDaddy has every single name any buyer could ever want available in countless different extensions at $10 a pop. That would be considered distraction overload! Yet, they sell so many aftermarket names. If you have quality names and you believe in them then there's no reason to be afraid.

Again, these are leads that would have never converted on your landing pages anyway. And in return, you receive the same benefit when the small number of leads that land on other sellers' domains end up buying your domains instead. It simply increases your chance of a sale because the leads are better targeted to the names they want. And if the marketplace can still sell that lead something (rather than them leaving), it can reinvest that profit into even more marketing. Win-win for everyone.

Anyway, as I mentioned before we understand that everyone has their own opinion about this which is why we even made the similar names section on landers optional.

Regarding the increase in inventory taking traffic away from your domains, I don't see it that way. A larger inventory would actually help quality sellers because a lot of that low quality type-in traffic will see the better options. This is one of the reasons you sometimes still get a sale from a non-brandable marketplace even though you're not using their landers (because of other sellers who do use their landers).

Again, let's put ourselves in the buyer's shoes and play this out. Say the marketplace has the following names listed and a buyer comes along with a $5k budget looking for a name to use with his/her new tech blog:

Tech.com - $30,000,000
Technology.com - $5,000,000
TechZone.com - $5,000
Techedd.com - $3,000
YourTechBlogSite.com - $40,000
TechingStuff.com - $100,000
MyTechWorldNews.co - $100

Which name do you think they'll buy? And does having the other low quality ones listed take away anything from the high quality ones?

All in all, I think you're looking at this the wrong way. What you should ask yourself is.. what value are you receiving in return for the 10% commission? If Alter provides more value for your buck then our competitors then what's the problem? Mind you, that's the lowest rate among both brandable and non-brandable industry leaders.

And as I mentioned before, if you think you have a better way to do this then please share your solution with us. We would be more than happy to implement it if it makes sense. Our intention isn't to rip anyone off, it's to build the best marketplace that we can based on everyone's feedback and eventually make some profit from it just like what you're trying to do with your domains. :)

Why I can't find any domain submission option on alter now?...is it AI powered only? Manual appraisal & acceptance process stopped now?

Just log in to your Alter account and click on the "Domains" tab followed by "Manage Domains". You will see an option to "Add Domains" there. Or just go straight here: https://alter.com/domains/manage/add

If you still need help, please reach out to support.

And you're correct. Moving forward, we consider all names as premium names similar to GoDaddy (how they consider all aftermarket names as premium). We no longer manually review names. Our smart algo will handle that moving forward.

Our smart search algorithm uses a number of factors to rank names based on buyer feedback. Everything from the domain's extension, length, price, brandability, popularity, and more is used to determine its rank. Just like the Google search algorithm, we continually adjust our algorithm over time based on buyer feedback to ensure an optimal experience and high STR. This means high quality names will continue to thrive while giving new listings an equal opportunity (just like SEO). This levels the playing field for everyone so you don't have to rely on some random person's judgement regarding the quality of your names. :)

Alter.com is just awesome , I sold a domain recently and whole transaction completion is fast and I just cash out thru wire transfer . Most importantly, the fee in unbelievably 10%😮👍

Alter.com is just awesome, sold insuran.com at low 5 figures . 2nd sales within 10 days.

The speed of sales completion are unexpectedly fast, faster than afternic.com fast transfer premium listing sales . Money already in my bank account in Hong Kong.

Sold S/c/o/t/t .xyz for 7500 usd
Seamless process and team was very helpful.

Arcade.xyz sold for 25500 usd. Another seamless transaction through Alter.

Wow, both of you had two large sales this month. Congrats!! If you ever feel like writing a blog about the investment strategies you use, please let us know. We'd love to feature it on our site! :)

•••
Wow, unexpected.
Let me know how to delete my account from this sick "community" 🤮
You only became extremely active during the last few days, defending your friend. Hope you enjoyed your stay.

•••
•••
ExitLine.jpg

Listed price: $3,499
Initial offered, provided a lowest accepted price to Alter and sold at $1,500
Joined Alter late Sep-2020 and have 64 names live now

Last edited:
•••
I wanted to comment on this thread and say we are not aware of any partnership with this marketplace, Alter.com, either with Afternic or Uniregistry. If there is any misunderstanding please feel free to contact us.

Thanks for the reply, Joe.

I just sent an email to Bob Mountain detailing the phone conversation I had with the Afternic team. I also included screenshots of my email communication with both Afternic and Uniregistry. If you would like me to copy you on it, please DM me your email address.

I sincerely hope that the answers your team provided haven't changed because it would be very disappointing for both us and our sellers. I look forward to hearing from you.

Last edited:
•••
Sold my second name via Alter - icona.net $899 (non Premium listing)
Great experience, Thanks to Alter @Deven Patel

•••
Thanks to the team at Alter, I managed to sell the only name I have listed there. I've had this name for 2 years tried to list it at SH but it was rejected, I knew the name had some sort of value so submitted the name at Alter in January 2021 and it was accepted.

Did not get the price it was listed for but I am happy the team managed to get the deal over the line, thanks to Jane and the team at Alter lift//crew,,,com found a new home. Will submit more names at Alter to see if my STR will improve.

•••
One more transaction successfully completed here. Thanks @Alter.com

Verified.xyz sold for 14888 usd.

•••
First sale on Alter and I'm grateful for the 10% commission, which is 1/3 the rate of Alter's competitors.

BB/SH: 30% commission under $5k

To put this in perspective, compare an average $2,500 sale over 100 sales on Alter vs. competitors:

BB/SH: 100 sales @ $2,500. You pay $75,000 in commission

Over 100 sales @ $2,500, you pocket an additional $50,000 by listing at Alter vs. the leading brandable marketplaces.

Alter doesn't yet have the traffic or sales levels as the leading marketplaces, true, but it has been growing fast.

The low commission from this first Alter sale makes me reconsider whether the BB/SH premium is worthwhile.

To compensate for their 3x commission, do BB & SH deliver at least 30% more sales?

This is roughly the high standard they have to maintain to equal Alter (or DAN or the SH WLM, if you prefer).

I won't rush to move all names off the major marketplaces yet but with any marketplace, it's always helpful to consider the bottom line and how it compares to alternatives.

Last edited:
•••
Are .io, .net, and .org domains given the same visibility as .com domains? Because when I visit Alter's dashboard I usually only see .com domains.

Our smart search algorithm uses a number of factors to rank names based on buyer feedback. Everything from the domain's extension, length, price, brandability, popularity, and more is used to determine its rank. This means high quality names continue to thrive while giving new listings an equal opportunity (just like SEO).

As @Bob Hawkes pointed out, the discrepancies you see are likely due to the fact that (1) .coms account for a large portion of our current inventory and (2) buyers naturally prefer .coms over other extensions.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I realise that it's extra work to implement. You have to track domain renewal dates for special TLDs, which can sometimes occur rather quickly after a sale or LtO has taken place. You also have to know the estimated renewal prices (at the current registrar, and/or the registrar where your escrow account is). I guess you'll need some input from the domain owner as well, who is not always well informed about all these renewal prices.

Something for your TOS. If an LtO buyer (or Alter the company) renews an expensive (tier) ngTLD domain, and after a few months the buyer decides to terminate the LtO construction, will the buyer get a refund? I guess no, but it has to be clear for all parties involved.

In some cases high renewal amounts can be involved. One domain that I now refer to Alter is a .shop domain with a yearly renewal fee of USD 1,092, and this is at one of the lowest-cost registrars in town. Other registrars may charge even more for this. It's an exception in my portfolio, though.

Brainstorming. If the renewal date is soon in sight, you may disable LtO as an option.

Will all domains purchased via LtO go to the Alter Escrow account? When it's a transfer, this then already includes a 1Y renewal. Not with a push.

One final note. These matters are also relevant for domains that are purchased without LtO. The normal BIN sales. There may be high costs associated with a transfer for either buyer or Alter.

Good luck implementing this beast :xf.smile:

Thanks for the very well-thought-out feedback! Much appreciated. Exactly, every scenario is different which is why we generally deal with it on a case-by-case basis. In a case where an expensive renewal is quickly approaching, we would inform the buyer right away so they can move forward accordingly.

If I have a name sold for $36K over 3 years via installments, the 12K received in the third year is going to have less value than $12K today.

As you may know, the domain industry is very supply heavy meaning it’s super hard to find buyers (i.e. there are over 13M domains listed for sale yet only about 1-2% of them sell on average annually). Like it or not, the fact of the matter is the industry needs more buyers than sellers so I personally would make it as easy as possible for buyers to purchase domains. Making the math unnecessarily complicated seems like a turn off. If you're worried about losing a few dollars due to inflation, just price the name a bit higher. Problem solved. :)

I like to monitor and analyze my traffic as well as for a few very special domains I want to have my custom email and possibly something on subdomains/subfolders as an extra promotion material while having the main page forwarding to the marketplace. Giving up my nameservers means giving up on all that.

I guess I'm a bit confused. How would you monitor the traffic if the domain forwards to Alter anyway? Note that we do offer analytics inside our dashboard and you can set up Google Analytics for your portfolio as well.

Regarding custom emails/subdomains for promotional material, that's very interesting. I would love to learn more about this and whether you've had any notable success using these approaches.

This could be solved by automated checking whether the main page forwards to Alter or not, as long as it does, I believe the result should make no difference for Alter...

Things always appear to be easy on the outside. Using nameservers allows us to do more than just forward the domains (e.g. provision SSL certificates properly, verify domain ownership with our partners using TXT records, etc). Unless there's a major advantage to using a different approach, we'd rather not invest additional time and money into it when that money can be used for other high priority items like marketing instead.

As I can see, the make offer domains are not being syndicated. Adding some other exceptions to that needs to be considered, for example Dan does not transact non-transferable domains registered with Sav, so should a sale of such domain happen on Dan, everyone involved – buyer, seller, Alter and Dan – would be nothing but troubled.

I agree but considering that so far the partners have only contributed to <5% of our sales and their policies are always changing, it probably doesn't make sense to implement any more features for those exceptions. We can always deal with the issue manually when needed during a sale.

I don't see any reasons: why marketplace can't be highly configurable...
So you can opt-in/out: what you want for your needs/vision and based on your experience.

It is just MUSTHAVE requirements to be competitive.
We (domainers) don't ask anything special.

when we are told that something is being worked on, or being considered, or is being "sent to the team," it almost always means we won't see any changes for months or years... or ever.

I don't see any reason why sellers can't just pay 50% commission to a marketplace and be happy about it. ;)

But seriously, if we were swimming in money we could do everything everyone wanted and more but at 10% that's simply not feasible. So instead, we prioritize based on seller demand (no point in developing something that 1% of sellers want for instance) and more importantly our overall goal (more sales). Our biggest differentiator against the competition is marketing, to give your domains a higher probability of a sale. The nice-to-have features aren't that important if they don't result in a sale at the end of the day.

We’re not like other marketplaces. We actually market your domains and bring in more buyers for an industry low 10% commission compared to 11-30% elsewhere. We market your domains via PPC, SEO, social, retargeting, etc (here are some examples of ads we're running and the types of keywords we rank for on Google). And our landing pages use logos which are proven to improve STR too (no other non-brandable marketplace offers this).

Regarding why our landers use descriptions/keywords/categories, it's for both on-site and off-site SEO. So for example, when a buyer searches for something like moon business names in Google, Alter shows up in the #1 spot among 147,000,000 results. Then when the buyer clicks on that result and lands on our website, our on-site ranking takes over. We've built our own internal search engine for business names. Just like Google, our search algorithm uses a number of factors to rank names based on buyer feedback. So that when a buyer searches for a keyword like health on Alter, we show them all the potential names that they can use in that industry and not just the ones that contain the search keyword (e.g. Nursor, Feetz, CareDish, Curemont, etc).

Based on all of your past posts, it seems like you guys don't value or even believe in the most important benefit we offer (marketing) so why use Alter at all? There are already other marketplaces that offer everything you want including Efty where you don't even have to pay a commission.

Wire payments are only over $5K? Is that right? (if so, why??)

Sedo/DAN send even $xx IBAN wires using Commerzbank or AMRO...

Wires were only allowed for amounts larger than $5k because our bank charges us a $45 processing fee and since our 10% commission is all-inclusive, we couldn't afford to spend more than 1% on cashout fees.

That said, we did consider your feedback and have added an ACH transfer option which can be used for US based bank accounts for any amount (international sellers can set up a virtual account at Wise to use this option). Additionally, we've removed the $5k wire limit so you can use wires for any amount you like. However, a processing fee of $45 will be applied to wires below $5k.

Regarding IBAN, it's my understanding that Sedo/Dan are based in Europe so it's much easier for them use it. We're based in the US which doesn't support IBAN out-of-the-box. We'll explore this more in the future if there's a lot of seller demand. In the meantime, the existing options we offer should be more than adequate. :)

(enormous amount of times favorited in a short period)

I can only see the amount in the Dashboard, not whether they are humans or bots.

You are able to view more in my account. The abnormal amount of Favorites was e.g. on October 16, and October 18, 2021.

I also had an abnormal amount of favourites on October 16th.

All my favorites comes in a day, it then takes a month to get another set of favorites. This has been my dashboard pattern.

Thanks again guys for helping us troubleshoot this. Although we can't be absolutely sure these do seem like bots based on the amount and frequency of favorites on those random days. Normally we can filter out bots by using cookies, JavaScript, looking at HTTP headers, etc. But in this case all of those things match what you would normally see with a human visitor which makes it difficult to tackle. However, we did add an additional check in our code that should help (i.e. checking for mouse movement before registering the favorite). The good thing is these bots affect all names equally so they shouldn't impact your ability to use our "top favorited names" metric to determine which names are hot or not. :)

Deven is really different. If I had to name 1 marketplace representative on NamePros who silently just executes many suggestions, it would be him. At the other marketplaces, you often don't hear anything anymore, and that is indeed frustrating. I often have these frustrations elsewhere myself, and I recognize the feeling.

Thanks for the compliments! Much appreciated.

We do the best we can to provide value where possible but like with most things in life, everything has a cost (physical/mental/financial). Some founders are willing to pay a higher price to succeed than others based on the level of risk they can tolerate. It's no different than how different sellers take varying amounts of risk when investing in domains without knowing if those names will actually sell.

I haven't been doing this for as long as they have but I can totally understand why other marketplaces are often silent when I put myself in their shoes. Contrary to other industries, domain marketplaces have one major disadvantage. In order to grow their inventories, they have to deal with a variety of conflicting seller opinions that ultimately reduce the efficiency of the marketplace. It's a double-edged sword.

He can always answer individually and in time, it is not necessary to wait and then post replies to all in A4 format...

Please note that NamePros isn't our official support channel. For quicker responses, you can always reach out to support at anytime.

Dns records instead of NS, bulk check
Min offer at 100
API

Noted. Thanks for the suggestions! Also, bulk check is already available. :)

Does Alter offer a White Label Marketplace like they do on Squadhelp?

Not at this time because our core focus is to increase STR and from our experience white label solutions don't help with that.

will Alter offer cryptocurrency as a means of payment/cashout anytime soon?

Thanks for the suggestion! We're looking into it.

Do Alter still require to remove our names from Sedo / Dan if listed with Alter?

No, you can list your names wherever else you like for whatever price you want. However, if we are already syndicating your domains to our partners then we ask that you do not list them there yourself in order to protect our relationships with those companies because duplicate listings take a lot of manual effort to sort out. Note that you can disable syndication from your Alter account if you want to manage your domains with our partners directly yourself.

Thanks, mate. Can you list all your domains on Alter now or only brandables?
Do you also have to verify ownership with nameservers or is it simple like Dan?

You can list any name you like. At this time we require all domains to be forwarded to our landing pages using our nameservers. This is because we spend a lot of money marketing your domains through PPC, SEO, social, retargeting, and much more. It wouldn't make sense for another marketplace to get the sale if one of our buyers ends up typing it into their browser and purchasing it elsewhere especially at 10% commission.

Note that among all the industry leaders, Alter offers the lowest commission. 10% with Alter vs 11-30% elsewhere. Also, you can continue to use the other marketplaces while using Alter. That way you pay the lowest commission for buyers that come in through your landers while taking advantage of our marketing at the same time. :)

I think the default broad match search is not good. Previously hand-vetted premium domains appear at a very low position for some keywords, even if the domain name actually contains the keyword.

So just search for a keyword using the default broad match option, then change the search settings from "broad" to "contains". For a lot of keywords you will see that domains which were manually approved as premium domains before only appear if you select the "contains" filter.

But if the domain name actually contains the search keyword, then I think even in case of the broad match search, you should prioritize those domains which contain the search keyword.

I think the search works better on BrandBucket. On BrandBucket the default option is the broad match, too. But BrandBucket will prioritize those domains which contain the search keyword.

I think if someone is searching for "golf", then first and foremost the searcher is interested in domains which actually contain the word "golf".

I know that the visitors can switch from broad to contains, but how many people will do that? I think the default broad match search function should display more relevant domains.

Thanks for the detailed feedback! Much appreciated. That is kind of the point, to show the best possible names to buyers when they're searching. Our search algorithm considers a number of factors but manually curated names from the past don't receive any special boosts.

For example, here are the two sets of results you mentioned for the keyword "golf":
Which results feel better from the buyer's perspective? I would personally pick broad match because as a buyer looking to name a golfing company, I would want to see high quality names like "Teedax" and "Topped". Also, quality names with the keyword "golf" are always displayed at the top like "Golfverse" for example. And as you can see in the contains match, the rest of the words that contain "golf" aren't that great quality wise.

The same thing happens on BB though all their names are curated so it's not really an apples-to-apples comparison. Again, quality names that contain the search word will always be shown at the top even for broad match (see broad match for tech and fox for example). But of course the algorithm isn't 100% perfect so some random names may be missed which is why we tweak it when necessary. :)

Their search is obviously broken. Using either contains or starts, ends with search term and nothing shows up on the first page. Not a single domain with the correct term.

Not sure I understand. Can you please elaborate?

Really? Harsh? I'm just being completely honest. I'm not familiar enough with Alter, so I'm not yet comfortable keeping the DNS with them. Isn't that fair? I don't have to keep the DNS with Dan. I don't have to keep the DNS with Afternic. I don't have to keep the DNS with Sedo. I don't have to keep the DNS with Squadhelp. Why should I have to keep the DNS with Alter? This isn't being harsh. This is being honest.

No disrespect but your posts do sound a bit aggressive. I understand you may not agree with the way different companies do business but just like you everyone is simply trying to find the best way to succeed. If every company did the same exact thing then honestly there would be no point in competing at all. It would just lead to a race to the bottom which doesn't benefit anyone.

As I mentioned above, at this time we require all domains to be forwarded to our landing pages using our nameservers. This is because we spend a lot of money marketing your domains through PPC, SEO, social, retargeting, and much more. It wouldn't make sense for another marketplace to get the sale if one of our buyers ends up typing it into their browser and purchasing it elsewhere especially at 10% commission.

Note that among all the industry leaders, Alter offers the lowest commission. 10% with Alter vs 11-30% elsewhere. Plus those 30% marketplaces actually require you to use their landers AND prevent you for listing your names anywhere else. Go figure! With us, you can continue to use the other marketplaces while using Alter. That way you pay the lowest commission for buyers that come in through your landers while taking advantage of our marketing at the same time. :)

Do you offer just escrow service or do you plan it?
For example, when I park my domains on Bodis and negotiate with my bidders directly - I need just escrow and nothing more.

We don't offer that at the moment because we wanted to keep things super simple. And since there are other companies that already offer it, it felt redundant. That said, if there's enough demand, we'll certainly look into it.

First sale on Alter and I'm grateful for the 10% commission, which is 1/3 the rate of Alter's competitors.

BB/SH: 30% commission under $5k

To put this in perspective, compare an average $2,500 sale over 100 sales on Alter vs. competitors:

BB/SH: 100 sales @ $2,500. You pay $75,000 in commission

Over 100 sales @ $2,500, you pocket an additional $50,000 by listing at Alter vs. the leading brandable marketplaces.

Alter doesn't yet have the traffic or sales levels as the leading marketplaces, true, but it has been growing fast.

The low commission from this first Alter sale makes me reconsider whether the BB/SH premium is worthwhile.

Wow, I appreciate the candid feedback. Thanks!

To compensate for their 3x commission, do BB & SH deliver at least 30% more sales?

Exactly, that's what it all boils down to. Unfortunately, as I mentioned in the past it's impossible to run a simple A/B test between marketplaces due to the varying benefits every company offers.

Also, I think every marketplace is trying their best to produce sales, from brandable marketplaces that actually do marketing to regular marketplaces that simply rely on type-in traffic. On the brandable side, I understand why they charge 30% commission. Customer acquisition cost (CAC) is generally very expensive when it comes to marketing (e.g. it can easily cost $1k+ to acquire a single customer through just ads alone).

Normally, I would recommend using the shotgun approach where you list your names at as many places as possible to target all available buyers. Some marketplaces may get you more sales than others but being on all of them gives you the best chance of success. However, this is only possible to do with regular marketplaces, not with brandable marketplaces since they require exclusivity.

So I think the decision regarding which marketplace to use for brandables requires a slightly different thought process. I'm sure sellers probably have their own ideas here. But if it were me personally, I would list the popular/high quality names on Alter and shotgun everywhere because those typically don't need as much marketing (i.e. the chances of the popular names selling through type-in/direct traffic are much higher so there's no point in paying 3X commission for them). And list the cheaper/lower quality names on brandable marketplaces that charge 30-35% commission as they probably need much more marketing power (i.e. hand regs/names with <$100 reseller value where paying higher commission still provides enough ROI). Problem solved. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back