IT.COM

Alter.com Marketplace

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Deven Patel

Founder, Alter.comEstablished Member
Impact
Hi all,

I wanted to introduce a new premium domain marketplace we just launched called Alter. I would love to hear your thoughts! As the world’s largest community of domainers, your feedback would be invaluable.

Let me introduce myself. Although I’m new to NamePros, I’ve been around the block. I’ve been buying and selling domains for my own startup ideas for over 20 years. As a serial entrepreneur, I founded a number of startups across various industries like marketing, web hosting, social networking, blogging, and SaaS. This experience has helped me understand how indispensable a brand name is to a business.

Most new entrepreneurs don’t think twice about their company name. Our goal is to change that! A brand name literally has the power to make or break their business. This is more true today than ever before now that there are countless alternatives to every product or service imaginable. Sure, every business may have their own world-changing differentiator but from the outside they all look the same at which point the main differentiator ends up becoming their brand name. In a world full of distractions, we no longer have the attention span to thoroughly research what we buy so we rely on our emotions. This is why large businesses like Apple and Amazon spend billions on their “brand” alone because they understand that customer perception is everything.

Anyway, I noticed that most marketplaces that exist today are focused more on the seller rather than the buyer. Our goal is to reverse the equation and prioritize buyers because I think they are the key to success in any industry. The domain industry is no exception. Without buyers, there’s no money. This is why we’ve made it our mission to help entrepreneurs succeed!

And what’s with the 30-35% commission rate most of these marketplaces are charging? Unless they’re doing more work than a human broker, I don’t think anything over the industry average of 15-20% is warranted. We’re changing that. Alter has one of the lowest rates in the industry, an all-inclusive 10% commission fee when a name sells. There are no other fees or restrictions.

What do you think? Are we on the right track or barking up the wrong tree?

Deven
This was a promoted post.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Deven Patel please don't forget to automatically renew the SSL certificates of the domain names. A lot of certificates expired on Nov 24, 2021 and now these domains return the ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID error when you try to access them via https.

Example: https://gigapen.com/
This one has been renewed today, probably as a result of your posting.

Signature Algorithm: sha256WithRSAEncryption
Issuer: C=US, O=Let's Encrypt, CN=R3
Validity
Not Before: Dec 10 01:15:44 2021 GMT
Not After : Mar 10 01:15:43 2022 GMT
Subject: CN=gigapen.com

•••
This one has been renewed today, probably as a result of your posting.

Signature Algorithm: sha256WithRSAEncryption
Issuer: C=US, O=Let's Encrypt, CN=R3
Validity
Not Before: Dec 10 01:15:44 2021 GMT
Not After : Mar 10 01:15:43 2022 GMT
Subject: CN=gigapen.com

Yes the domains work now with the https prefix, thanks @Deven Patel
Please try to automate the SSL certificate renewal.

•••
My review of Alter.com after switching ALL of my nameservers to Alter!

Around 2 months ago I decided to test the new direction the alter marketplace is heading and at the end of September I moved all of my non Squadhelp listed domain names to alter (approximately 3000 names)

During October I was quite pleased to close 5 domain sales with alter. Each transaction was seamless and went through without any issues! I typically was selling at another marketplace that charged 20% commission and am happy to have saved close to $800 in commission by selling with alter for just 10% commission!

In November I also completed another 5 sales with alter and again no issues at all with transaction! Again I saved over $1000 in commission!

Also in November, I decided to leave squadhelp after being with them for 3 years. The reasoning here was primarily due to highest commission in the industry and reduced visibility of my portfolio of 800+ names. I may go deeper into my exit from Squadhelp in another post at a later date.

Since leaving squadhelp I had completed 2 sales of my previously listed sh names via alter! Combined savings from these two sales with alters 10% commission was over $1600!!. Funds that I am very happy to have!

I will follow up with an additional review that is more detailed after I’ve spent some more time with alter! Happy holidays!

Also a big thank you to @Deven Patel for your great support and communication!

Hi,
Did you use Syndication (Automatically list my "Buy Now" domains at the marketplaces and registrars mentioned above)?
Thank you.

•••
BB have partnered with BitPay to payout in three Crypto, BTC, BCH and Litecoin. I think sellers, and consequently, Alter will benefit from this if implemented.

•••
Since traffic is being pooled, all should be pooling as well. No name dumping. Fine as-is for what it is IMO.

Last edited:
•••
Any new features, or planned new features of the Alter marketplace?

•••
Two weeks ago I had a sale on Alter, first received a payment email and in a few hours transfer request, the domain was pushed to Alter account promptly and then that was it. Asked in a few days and Alter told me they are unable to contact the buyer. Likely the emails went to spam so there is very little chance it gets better, who knows how long is it gonna be before the buyer wakes up and decides to do something about their purchase... It was not a big sale, less than 2K, and we all know the stories of much more expensive domains which go to the expired auctions the next year after having been purchased, its not unusual when buyers forget about their freshly acquired domains and is likely what happened to my sale as well.

In the buy it now window it is stated "All payments will be final and non-refundable once the domain is in escrow.". I think it means Alter has it covered within their ToS legally, and since its like that, does it make sense not to pay the seller? The domain is in Alter possession so whenever the buyer is back to claim it Alter has been enabled to complete the transfer...
Today is one month since this sale, last week Alter emailed me and said I have two options, either they refund the buyer and I can relist the domain for sale or continue waiting, thus still waiting...

•••
a check at SH sales suggests that temporary reducing price works. Any sale around 1499 or anything less than 1999 is a sale that happened after the price was reduced (as 1999 is the lowest they can list for).

And on the sales report thread here, so many persons have reported sales after just reducing the price. Twiki for example. In SH's case, the temporary reduction lasts for a week after which the price goes back to normal or if the seller wishes, restarts it.

If it doesn't work or have no impact on sales I doubt a company like SH will have such an option and even go ahead to have a menu where you can choose to allow them routinely offer temporary discount on your name.

I appreciate the insight! Though I feel like we still need more data. As the saying goes, correlation does not imply causation. There are still a lot of unknown variables at play in this case (i.e. we don't know if SH markets lower-priced domains differently, how previously interested buyers are notified, how many buyers like/dislike this, etc).

In terms of why marketplaces implement features, there's a lot that goes into making those decisions beyond whether they actually result in more sales (i.e. some features are developed to make sellers happy in order to grow inventory at the cost of buyer experience). Things are never black and white as I'm sure you know.

A small feature request. When a buyer selects "Filter", preserve or prepopulate the current category or search term. Example:

A buyer searches for a moon domain name, and then decides to (further) filter the results. At that moment, the original 'moon' keyword is lost, because it's not prepopulated in the filter settings.

Thank you.

Thanks for the suggestion! Though this is already how it works today. Can you please reach out to support with your specific device/browser/OS information so we can troubleshoot better?

My review of Alter.com after switching ALL of my nameservers to Alter!

Around 2 months ago I decided to test the new direction the alter marketplace is heading and at the end of September I moved all of my non Squadhelp listed domain names to alter (approximately 3000 names)

During October I was quite pleased to close 5 domain sales with alter. Each transaction was seamless and went through without any issues! I typically was selling at another marketplace that charged 20% commission and am happy to have saved close to $800 in commission by selling with alter for just 10% commission!

In November I also completed another 5 sales with alter and again no issues at all with transaction! Again I saved over $1000 in commission!

Also in November, I decided to leave squadhelp after being with them for 3 years. The reasoning here was primarily due to highest commission in the industry and reduced visibility of my portfolio of 800+ names. I may go deeper into my exit from Squadhelp in another post at a later date.

Since leaving squadhelp I had completed 2 sales of my previously listed sh names via alter! Combined savings from these two sales with alters 10% commission was over $1600!!. Funds that I am very happy to have!

I will follow up with an additional review that is more detailed after I’ve spent some more time with alter! Happy holidays!

Also a big thank you to @Deven Patel for your great support and communication!

Thank you for the in-depth review! Much appreciated.

Are you going to list the Alter names on DAN in the Open Domain Distribution Network?

We're always monitoring everyone's feedback. If a considerable number of sellers want this and the network reaches more eyeballs compared to today then sure.

I prefer to point the DNS of many of my names to a parking page (like bodis, for example) then use their "This domain may be for sale" area to link to the actual For Sale page. Will you allow us to do this with Alter? (Currently if the DNS is not pointing to Alter the name gets de-listed from Alter.)
I would love more flexibility on name servers too. I prefer to point the DNS of many of my names to my own WLM. I would appreciate it if I could prove my ownership by changing TXT records and have my domain names listed on Alter.com that way, without pointing name servers to Alter.

Long story short, we can't operate a marketplace at 10% commission alone unless we stopped doing any additional marketing. By requiring you to use our landing pages, we can offset some of our other marketing costs. The better question to ask is why some marketplaces require you to use their landers AND charge you 30-35% commission.

which is better BIN only or BIN + Make offer in Alter landers?
Do you have data backed analysis on this?
I think the best setup is BIN + installment payments, and no "make offer" button. The buyer can contact Alter and make an offer anyway. If you set BIN and installment payments only, then the buyer has to choose only from two options: buy the domain now and pay it in full, or buy the domain and pay it in installments. But then your BIN price should be realistic, it is also important.
I am not interested in installments option, I had bad experience with it and I only use BIN or Make Offer.

I don't have any conclusive data on this but I suspect it will be very hard to give you a decisive answer at any point because a lot of this depends on the domain/price/seller/buyer.

The only advice I can give you (if you're open to it) is try not to let your personal biases cloud your judgement (i.e. how you feel about installments).

There's no right or wrong answer but if I had to make an educated guess, it would be something like this based on the domain's appraisal:
  • <$1k - BIN
  • $1k-10k - BIN + Installments
  • $10k-100k - BIN + Installments + Make Offer
  • $100k-1000k - BIN + Make Offer
  • >$1000k - Make Offer
Of course, this assumes that the appraisals are realistic as @Charybdis said. And more importantly, every situation is different so take everything above with a grain of salt. For example, one big factor that contributes to this is how quickly the seller wants to sell the name (i.e. low price + all options would result in the quickest sale).

Just moved 800+ names to Alter.com .

That's great. Thanks for your support!

Two weeks ago I had a sale on Alter, first received a payment email and in a few hours transfer request, the domain was pushed to Alter account promptly and then that was it. Asked in a few days and Alter told me they are unable to contact the buyer. Likely the emails went to spam so there is very little chance it gets better, who knows how long is it gonna be before the buyer wakes up and decides to do something about their purchase... It was not a big sale, less than 2K, and we all know the stories of much more expensive domains which go to the expired auctions the next year after having been purchased, its not unusual when buyers forget about their freshly acquired domains and is likely what happened to my sale as well.

In the buy it now window it is stated "All payments will be final and non-refundable once the domain is in escrow.". I think it means Alter has it covered within their ToS legally, and since its like that, does it make sense not to pay the seller? The domain is in Alter possession so whenever the buyer is back to claim it Alter has been enabled to complete the transfer...
Today is one month since this sale, last week Alter emailed me and said I have two options, either they refund the buyer and I can relist the domain for sale or continue waiting, thus still waiting...
Alter should collect the phone numbers of both buyers and sellers, and in these cases they could send a text message or make a phone call. If email is the only contact option, and the emails go to spam or the email is not working, then without the phone number it is impossible to contact the buyer or the seller.

It can happen also in the case of a seller: a seller sells a domain, and then Alter cannot contact the seller via email, and there is no phone number.
Definitely! Also, I believe that Alter should have a very clear policy in place for such cases (the buyer makes the payment, the seller transfers the domain name to Alter, the buyer then disappears.) Preferrable option: if the buyer is not responsive for 10 days, the payment is then automatically sent to the seller and the buyer is not eligible for any refunds. Alternatively, it could be that the domain name is transferred back to the seller and put back on the marketplace until things are resolved with the buyer. If Alter ends up refunding the buyer, they should only make a partial refund and use the rest to compensate the seller for the off-market time.

Keeping the seller's domain name as a hostage at Alter's escrow for unlimited time and making the seller cover for all of the time that it was off-market is very unprofessional and not fair. The seller did all they could on their end. It's not their responsibility that Alter can't do their part.

Non-responsive buyers are generally dealt with on a case by case basis based on their payment method, sale amount, transfer method, and prior communication. For example, if they pay using a credit card/wire/crypto and there's a history of conversation with them that proves that they indeed want to purchase the domain then we would close the transaction and release the funds after a couple weeks. On the other hand, if they pay using PayPal and there's absolutely no prior conversation with them (indicative of fraud) then we would offer the seller an option to reverse the transaction or wait until the buyer responds (like in this case). Again, these are just a couple examples. It's ultimately all about how much risk each of these situations pose.

Regarding collecting phone numbers, like with everything else, there are always trade-offs (i.e. more friction for buyers). Though we've never had an issue with this because people who spend this kind of money always reach out to us proactively if they don't hear from us after making payment (i.e. if our emails went to spam).

I do understand the frustration around waiting for the sale to complete and the uncertainty around it but it's a cost of doing business. As a marketplace, we take certain losses too for the greater good. For example, just the other day we sold a domain for ~$17k and had to process a refund because the seller didn't immediately remove the duplicate listing from another marketplace. The buyer ended up paying there again despite us telling them not to (English wasn't their first language). So even though we didn't need to process the refund, we still did so that the seller can complete the sale quicker with a competitor despite us losing ~$700 in processing fees + $X in marketing/operating costs. All because we thought it was the right thing to do to make the seller happy. In other words, an unfortunate cost of doing business.

please don't forget to automatically renew the SSL certificates of the domain names. A lot of certificates expired on Nov 24, 2021 and now these domains return the ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID error when you try to access them via https.

Example: https://gigapen.com/
I can confirm that this is the case for several domains I tested at Alter.

Good catch and thanks for troubleshooting! We were able to fix the problem quicker because of you guys.

The certificates should be automatically renewed but as you know, technology is never perfect and there's no way for humans to account for 100% of the scenarios so bugs are unavoidable.

Any new features, or planned new features of the Alter marketplace?

There are plenty of things on the roadmap with varying priorities but for the most part the focus is on generating sales. Unless a new feature has a direct impact on sales, it's probably not going to be implemented immediately as those resources can be better used on marketing.

That said, I value everyone's feedback here. It's much appreciated! :)

•••
Non-responsive buyers are generally dealt with on a case by case basis based on their payment method, sale amount, transfer method, and prior communication. For example, if they pay using a credit card/wire/crypto and there's a history of conversation with them that proves that they indeed want to purchase the domain then we would close the transaction and release the funds after a couple weeks. On the other hand, if they pay using PayPal and there's absolutely no prior conversation with them (indicative of fraud) then we would offer the seller an option to reverse the transaction or wait until the buyer responds (like in this case). Again, these are just a couple examples. It's ultimately all about how much risk each of these situations pose.
This type of policy can be nicely abused whenever there is a hype trend, like we have with the "meta" keyword: when the trend has only emerged, someone quickly "buys" a domain with Paypal, then starts looking for a resale opportunity (outbound), if one found – claim the domain and resell it, but if not found, just have their money back eventually, very convenient, while the original seller could be missing all the hype having their domain locked out of market and then the hype may be gone completely with all the opportunities as well.

From the seller's side, the option to make a choice what to do is being given, but the information which is be the necessary to make such choice is lacking. I have waited over a month to learn from your response that it must be (not certain but I have to assume) a Paypal payment and such is your policy for such payments. Don't you think the system could work better if the seller was provided the status of their transaction and the way it is going to be handled immediately? Maybe I would prefer to request a force refund in three days, knowing that 1) buyer not responsive 2) the wait could last indefinitely.

From the buyer's side, lets say the seller decides on a refund. Assuming the buyer is legitimate just an airhead who forgot to claim. And then.... the seller increases the listing price. Maybe being mad at the buyer, maybe a planned price increase, maybe just because. The buyer still wants the domain so the buyer is like, what, I purchased the domain but they refunded me and now they want more money for it! That looks rather bad from the consumer point of view, imagine if the buyer then writes reviews all over the internet calling the marketplace scammers, what would you do in this situation?

•••
I look forward to hearing this, as I notice another large portfolio holder has also left.

Last edited:
•••
are you able to release the price of the highest price domain that was sold via Alter as a close to end of year? no need for domain name but just the price and what extension it was in.

•••
Hello @Deven Patel, try to add a two-factor verification for sellers. Thank you.

•••
@devenpatel this is the reply I received from your colleague:

"If you have syndication enabled in Alter then your domains will be listed on Dan.com with a small price markup to account for their commission. But they will not be listed on their new distribution network.

If you want to list them on their distribution network, you would have to disable the syndication on Alter and list them at Dan.com yourself."

Are you planning to expand your syndication to include the new Open Domain Distribution Network of Dan.com? I feel perplexed having to choose between Alter and Dan. While I appreciate the views I get from the marketplace of Alter and from your partners, I'm also very curious to try out the new Open Domain Distribution Network of Dan. It would be great to have both options. Either in a form of syndication or have the freedom to list the domain names ourselves like we now have with Afternic.

•••
Do buyers at Alter get an invoice issued by Alter, or do they get a transaction overview with seller's name just like at Sedo and DAN?

•••
In case people have not noticed, you can now price domains at Alter with whatever ending you want. Used to have to be 99 or 00 ending. Given how successful HD and sellers like Swetha have with 88 endings, I have started repricing some of mine to that. Maybe it has been changed for some time but I just noticed it.

It seemed to work, as one I repriced to 88 ending sold BIN a few days ago B-) From notification, through transfer, then transaction complete, and then payout I selected to PayPal all took less than 24 hr. Very smooth. This was my second sale overall at Alter, but first in many months. The name sold was a short .xyz that could be viewed as a first name or as a brandable. My BIN was $1288. I kept a bit of my return in Alter as I plan to purchase professional logos for a few of my names. I figure over a long holding period the enhanced sale probability make it worthwhile.

In case you have not noticed it, the TM search in Alter is really readable and informative. You, or potential purchasers, can access it from the text links at the bottom of the page.

I wonder if it would be possible to slightly extend the timeout period? I am slow, I know, but usually when I am doing things on Alter I am also checking things in Whois, my spreadsheet, perhaps another marketplace or email, and it often times out on me.

Thanks so much for such a great platform, and one that is so responsive to suggestions and constantly getting better.

Bob

•••
Best of success to everyone in 2022

Last edited:
•••
Hi @Deven Patel, welcome back.

A small suggestion for the Installments settings. Introduce an additional option to automatically update all configured installments in case domains fall into a new Installment category due to price adjustments. In other words, a one-time configuration and then continue on autopilot, without having to manually apply the Installments configuration again. The reason is that I sometimes forget to run this Installments configuration after making price changes (and wrongly assumed that things would be adjusted automatically).

Last edited:
•••
Long story short, we can't operate a marketplace at 10% commission alone unless we stopped doing any additional marketing. By requiring you to use our landing pages, we can offset some of our other marketing costs
@Deven Patel Dan.com can operate at 9% commission and allow us to use someone else's landers. So why can't Alter operate at 10% commission unless we use Alter landers?

•••
@Deven Patel Dan.com can operate at 9% commission and allow us to use someone else's landers. So why can't Alter operate at 10% commission unless we use Alter landers?
Because you cannot compare Dan and Alter. Think about the volume of transactions between two companies...

•••
Because you cannot compare Dan and Alter. Think about the volume of transactions between two companies...
Okay, let's think about it. If Alter allowed us to use other landing pages like Dan does, Alter would have more listings, which would in turn mean a larger volume of transactions.

Last edited:
•••
My 2nd Alter sale is complete. Thanks to Deven and the Alter team for another quick and easy transaction.

•••
Okay, let's think about it. If Alter allowed us to use other landing pages like Dan does, Alter would have more listings, which would in turn mean a larger volume of transactions.
That'd be good but Alter spends on advertisment, Dan doesn't. If they do that, they may end up helping their competitors with sales. That's not a great business model.

•••
That'd be good but Alter spends on advertisment, Dan doesn't. If they do that, they may end up helping their competitors with sales. That's not a great business model.
Its good for the sellers to have as many options as possible. Its not like Alter is a household name. People buy where they feel comfortable to buy and will even pay more for that comfort.

•••
Its good for the sellers to have as many options as possible. Its not like Alter is a household name. People buy where they feel comfortable to buy and will even pay more for that comfort.
I agree but I also don't think they should promote names pointed at different landers. Maybe creating a new marketplace, a sort of WLM, will do the job.

•••
I agree but I also don't think they should promote names pointed at different landers.
Then only promote the names that are using Alter's DNS. But don't completely ban the names that aren't. It's silly that we can't use a parking service for names that are generating revenue, especially if we point the "For Sale" link directly and exclusively to Alter.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back