IT.COM

Allowing email usage on a leased domain

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have a client leasing a domain who wishes to use the domain for email usage via gmail redirect. Example: [email protected] where FuzzyCropCircles.xyz is the leased domain.
Can anyone foresee issues with allowing usage of the domain for email? My concern is the appearance of ownership by the leasee and any potential for loss (transfer) of the domain.
I am not so concerned about my current client, but it made me cautious for future requests of such an arrangement.
Any input appreciated.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can anyone foresee issues with allowing usage of the domain for email?

There is always a potential risk that your domain will be used for spam runs. The domain (still yours) will then get a bad reputation. The client can always cancel the agreement after the spam run, and you're left with a domain that has become worthless. This happens with leased (or hijacked) netblocks as well.

Not to scare you, but you asked for potential issues that may arise.

•••
It's a lease so why use it for email. So a big no for me .

•••
Have you a bin then send it so they can use it as they wish.

•••
•••
I only allow email forwards, and lease monthly (no prorated refunds): $29 to $99.
That way you stay in control of the domain and eliminate the spam possibility.

So in your Example: [email protected] would be forwarded to the renter's main email.

Last edited:
•••
Back