IT.COM

new gtlds ALERT: .XYZ Registry Stealing Back Newly Registered Numerics?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I registered all the below domains on 6/1/2017 after searching for 10's of thousands of numerics to purchase. Since I purchased, I renewed for 1 year and parked. Last night, all the domains had my 1 year renewal removed without any notification or email (or refund) and all have been put into the Pending Delete status so the parked pages no longer resolve, again, without any notification or email.

It's ridiculous that a registry can advertise on selling numerics, we research for hours and then buy available numerics from them, and then I'm assuming is going through the processes to steal them back. I've been a supporter of the xyz registry but that may change soon. This may be a warning for all .xyz domain owners if the registry is taking back registered domains.

Here are all the domains I purchased. My name is still in the whois but as you can see the domains are now Pending Delete even though they don't expire until 6/1/2018. I have emailed both the XYZ Registry and Dynadot (where I registered the domains) about 6-7 hours ago. Still no explanation whatsoever.

I will update this thread as I get more information. Do note that I know of at least 1 other person who is in the same situation as me.

176.xyz
175.xyz
174.xyz
173.xyz
172.xyz
170.xyz
169.xyz
167.xyz
165.xyz
164.xyz
162.xyz
159.xyz
157.xyz
154.xyz
153.xyz
152.xyz
149.xyz
147.xyz
146.xyz
145.xyz
143.xyz
142.xyz
140.xyz
137.xyz
134.xyz
130.xyz
129.xyz
127.xyz
125.xyz
124.xyz
107.xyz
104.xyz

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wow, I guess my gut instincts here keep getting confirmed by guys like you who have been around. So you have been involved selling names since then? If so, congrats. Yea, today I looked into this guy's company page today, and and it just smells like scam, looks like a scam and the more input I read from you guys it is a scam. He got into a lawsuit with Verisign, not sure why they bothered, but they have the money I guess to do so. He probably has no ethical compass. Logically for me, I have been only interested in the .com/net/org anyway, but hate seeing this sort of overhype sales and all the people getting into buying it. I am completely new to this small domain name niche thing, and already starting to get my eyes opened. Like any industry, it has it's real people and the fakes/scam's. I got into it discovering I owned a valuable name since 97 accidently. Sold it and playing around now with the cash.

I got in 1998, and actually thought at the time I got in too late(lol) This has been a great industry for me, because I had good mentors, who gave me great advice. I made mistakes like everybody, but learned from those mistakes, and had made a good enough living in domains to work at home and be a stay at home dad to my kids. The best way for me to give back, is to call out BS when I can so other's don't get strayed wrong. Namepros is a great resource because most people here really want to help people as well. Just be careful of these so called leaders in the industry, they will stab you in the back and screw you really bad, and about 50% of them are speaking at the domain conferences.

Wish you well, and congrats on your sale from your 1997 domain, glad your aware of what is fact versus BS in this industry, need to make more people aware of it, because too many people getting burned.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I got in 1998, and actually thought at the time I got in too late(lol) This has been a great industry for me, because I had good mentors, who gave me great advice. I made mistakes like everybody, but learned from those mistakes, and had made a good enough living in domains to work at home and be a stay at home dad to my kids. The best way for me to give back, is to call out BS when I can so other's don't get strayed wrong. Namepros is a great resource because most people here really want to help people as well. Just be careful of these so called leaders in the industry, they will stab you in the back and screw you really bad, and about 50% of them are speaking at the domain conferences.

Wish you well, and congrats on your sale from your 1997 domain, glad your aware of what is fact versus BS in this industry, need to make more people aware of it, because too many people getting burned.

Thanks. Wow, that's quite a thing then to have seen it all. I had my first business site up in 95' done by someone else, then got into writing basic html, being prepared at ranked 1st page for the 99 boom. I saw the opportunity to register names, and read a few stories here and there just never got into it. Started in computing at work in 80's on DG mini's, clone PC's, bbsing, 300 baud modems, etc. You are right about mentor's- I had two in my industry and they sure were key to my past success, I won't ever forget that. As far as leaders, I guess I mean those that have survived the longest. This entire nGtld program is really strange to me, it's being hyped and oversold and not going very well as far as I can see, yet names get registered. I have made quite a few verbose comments here- recommended a book "The 22 immutable laws of marketing". I don't see dotcom being ever replaced, and cannot stand around silent seeing the hype being spewed out like it is. There are what appears to be younger members who are easily getting duped into the b.s. and will wind up losing ton's of money, that is horrible. I can't stand *SnakeOil* - Car Sales type people, they give professional's a bad name. It makes me cringe, and have been around these types of knuckleheads selling junk for all my career.

•••
Thanks. Wow, that's quite a thing then to have seen it all. I had my first business site up in 95' done by someone else, then got into writing basic html, being prepared at ranked 1st page for the 99 boom. I saw the opportunity to register names, and read a few stories here and there just never got into it. Started in computing at work in 80's on DG mini's, clone PC's, bbsing, 300 baud modems, etc. You are right about mentor's- I had two in my industry and they sure were key to my past success, I won't ever forget that. As far as leaders, I guess I mean those that have survived the longest. This entire nGtld program is really strange to me, it's being hyped and oversold and not going very well as far as I can see, yet names get registered. I have made quite a few verbose comments here- recommended a book "The 22 immutable laws of marketing". I don't see dotcom being ever replaced, and cannot stand around silent seeing the hype being spewed out like it is. There are what appears to be younger members who are easily getting duped into the b.s. and will wind up losing ton's of money, that is horrible. I can't stand *SnakeOil* - Car Sales type people, they give professional's a bad name. It makes me cringe, and have been around these types of knuckleheads selling junk for all my career.

You bring valuable experience to the industry, you should be speaking at these domain conferences. Appreciate all your insight and knowledge on things! Thanks!

•••
This is bad, but the idea $0.01 sales price originally was flawed. Giving away domains like this just cheapens them in the eyes of the world, and somebody like that guy who only invested $450. for 45,000- let's them all drop- probably never sold one of them- I mean what did the registry expect? Worse yet, are what it does to all the legit customers who really built websites under the extension. What does it do to the value of their names? Automatically devalued. Extinction? Perhaps. Move to Dotcom... I predict. Glad that this was posted by the domain gang too.

•••
I have earned about $15K from buying and selling .xyz names, so I am personally happy with this extension. After all, I am a domainer. I have also praised D. Negari for his boldness and fighting spirit.

I also reserve the right to criticize him/them for this particilar "incident" and if anyone wants to criticize me for that, nemas problemas ;)

•••
Good article from Dan Kennedy:
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/224134

"Targeted investors handed their money over to Bernie Madoff and his epic Ponzi scheme voluntarily. And most who did so were sophisticated and wealthy individuals, managers of family fortunes, and paid administrators of universities' investment portfolios and pensions. All had access to competent financial, tax and legal advisors. Yet they handed wealth to Madoff. None could explain exactly what Bernie did with their money or how he consistently generated above-par returns. Trusting Madoff was irrational, so why did so many who should have known better? Because someone who they knew and trusted, trusted him. Yes, he served on the board of the Nasdaq stock exchange and had offices and trappings of wealth manufactured with the stolen money. But at the core, Bernie perpetuated his scam thanks to passed-along trust.

So with the XYZ extension, without naming names I think it is self evident who is providing the pass along trust.

•••
I have earned about $15K from buying and selling .xyz names, so I am personally happy with this extension. After all, I am a domainer. I have also praised D. Negari for his boldness and fighting spirit.

I also reserve the right to criticize him/them for this particilar "incident" and if anyone wants to criticize me for that, nemas problemas ;)

Really? Wow. Congratulations. Are the owners using them as real websites? Then you might post more details as that might be the first one to post such a thing. How many did you buy and how many did you sell to earn that amount?

•••
Really? Wow. Congratulations. Are the owners using them as real websites? Then you might post more details as that might be the first one to post such a thing. How many did you buy and how many did you sell to earn that amount?

You can have a look at my xyz sales page in my signature. Only some of the names that I have sold are removed and marked as sold, but you will get a clue about the price range. You will find that I have mostly one-word names or some popular two-word terms.

Edit: I had a look and the correct amount is closer to 12-13K. Sorry for some disinformation.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for pointing that out. You certainly have some decent one word domains. I can't argue with that. That's interesting. When you bought them were they at normal reg fee pricing? This premium pricing of other markets makes them pretty much registry exclusive end user sales, with little or no room for resellers.

And you have sold a number of XYZ's, but being on Namepros listing since 2015 leads me to believe these are mainly other speculators, but hopefully they were resold a 3rd time to end users and are in use. I would hope they were developed and not just parked. It would be nice to hear some successes people have had.

Back to my original question though, how many are .XYZ websites? I just have been through so far the top 4000 websites ranked by traffic from Quantcast. I don't recall seeing even one XYZ so far. I have been studying this to see if there are any trends that I am not already aware of.

https://www.quantcast.com/top-sites/US/50

It has been 2 years since they were released, so no hindrance of time to rank. The same goes for most all other new Extensions. Few if any. I think one .Club. Lots of dashes, .org, .net. Thanks for sharing your experience.

•••
Thanks for pointing that out. You certainly have some decent one word domains. I can't argue with that. That's interesting. When you bought them were they at normal reg fee pricing? This premium pricing of other markets makes them pretty much registry exclusive end user sales, with little or no room for resellers.

And you have sold a number of XYZ's, but being on Namepros listing since 2015 leads me to believe these are mainly other speculators, but hopefully they were resold a 3rd time to end users and are in use. I would hope they were developed and not just parked. It would be nice to hear some successes people have had.

Back to my original question though, how many are .XYZ websites? I just have been through so far the top 4000 websites ranked by traffic from Quantcast. I don't recall seeing even one XYZ so far. I have been studying this to see if there are any trends that I am not already aware of.

https://www.quantcast.com/top-sites/US/50

It has been 2 years since they were released, so no hindrance of time to rank. The same goes for most all other new Extensions. Few if any. I think one .Club. Lots of dashes, .org, .net. Thanks for sharing your experience.

As far as I know, only a very few have resulted in websites. www.pie.xyz is one exemption and you can play a game of chess at www.chess.xyz :) I will have to check with other ones on Monday.

I have never paid any premium prices for my .xyz names. A few is bought from other domainers.

•••
Agree with Lotk - if they were shown as available for registration and he registered them - then how can they snatch them back?
Do u guys remember that glitch with. Club or .something where the registry forgot to make their credit.tld premium and the dude registered it and the registry just said it was their bsd?

XYZ didn't do that

•••
It's like buying a plane ticket, boarding the plane, then being told that you have to get off the plane and take another flight. BS.

They will allow you to pay more if you buy at one site compared to another. They never will refund the difference of the lowest available price. Just BS.
Ur right! .xyz registry should have punched OP, knocked out his teeth, gave him a concussion, dragged him away from his laptop, then took his domains away. That way oP could sue, and the domaining industry would be hot with support

Also, xyz ceo would have to tweet that he's sorry OP got "re-accommodated":tightlyclosedeyes:

•••
Ur right! .xyz registry should have punched OP, knocked out his teeth, gave him a concussion, dragged him away from his laptop, then took his domains away. That way oP could sue, and the domaining industry would be hot with support

Also, xyz ceo would have to tweet that he's sorry OP got "re-accommodated":tightlyclosedeyes:
Lol

•••
I registered all the below domains on 6/1/2017 after searching for 10's of thousands of numerics to purchase. Since I purchased, I renewed for 1 year and parked. Last night, all the domains had my 1 year renewal removed without any notification or email (or refund) and all have been put into the Pending Delete status so the parked pages no longer resolve, again, without any notification or email.

It's ridiculous that a registry can advertise on selling numerics, we research for hours and then buy available numerics from them, and then I'm assuming is going through the processes to steal them back. I've been a supporter of the xyz registry but that may change soon. This may be a warning for all .xyz domain owners if the registry is taking back registered domains.

Here are all the domains I purchased. My name is still in the whois but as you can see the domains are now Pending Delete even though they don't expire until 6/1/2018. I have emailed both the XYZ Registry and Dynadot (where I registered the domains) about 6-7 hours ago. Still no explanation whatsoever.

I will update this thread as I get more information. Do note that I know of at least 1 other person who is in the same situation as me.

176.xyz
175.xyz
174.xyz
173.xyz
172.xyz
170.xyz
169.xyz
167.xyz
165.xyz
164.xyz
162.xyz
159.xyz
157.xyz
154.xyz
153.xyz
152.xyz
149.xyz
147.xyz
146.xyz
145.xyz
143.xyz
142.xyz
140.xyz
137.xyz
134.xyz
130.xyz
129.xyz
127.xyz
125.xyz
124.xyz
107.xyz
104.xyz
Take a screenshot of whois data for each of the domains.

That`s the proof that you are the current owner.

Send an e-mail to ICANN and see how it goes.

•••
Take a screenshot of whois data for each of the domains.

That`s the proof that you are the current owner.

Send an e-mail to ICANN and see how it goes.

I've done this in a similar situation with another GTLD that I registered during a "glitch". ICANN does nothing. I proved ownership completely and even provided them my correspondence with the registrar that was cancelling the name. They replied with "There is no proof that you have registered this name". Seriously, I like NGTLD's but...in terms of proper business practice...most of them are really, really bad and not worth the time. ICANN is also of no help whatsoever, they aren't for the consumer...they're just in it for themselves. When was the last time ICANN acted on the side of a domainer?Apart from a UDRP case of course. I think in this case....some of you .xyz guy's who are getting your names cancelled should file a complaint with the FTC. It's high time they get some punishment or at least some warning.

Last edited:
•••
Okay, .XYZ is doing some weird stuff....

I registered a numeric domain yesterday morning at 9:15am at GoDaddy. Every time I register a new domain, it is immediately in my account. Never had any issue with GoDaddy registering new domains.

Well, after an hour of the domain not being in my account, I called GD. They said there was no problem and that it would be in my account shortly.

I waited for another few hours and no domain.

I called again late yesterday and they said it was very, very, rare, but that they were still waiting for registry approval.

As of this morning, still no domain. I really don't know what the problem is with .xyz. If I were not a domainer, I would be even more frustrated.

You register a domain, then a full 24 hrs later, the domain still shows available and is not in my account, and noone can explain what's really going on.

I should have never tried to reg a .xyz. Such a mess.

•••

I registered a numeric domain yesterday morning at 9:15am at GoDaddy. Every time I register a new domain, it is immediately in my account. Never had any issue with GoDaddy registering new domains.

Well, after an hour of the domain not being in my account, I called GD. They said there was no problem and that it would be in my account shortly.

I waited for another few hours and no domain.

I called again late yesterday and they said it was very, very, rare, but that they were still waiting for registry approval.

As of this morning, still no domain. I really don't know what the problem is with .xyz. If I were not a domainer, I would be even more frustrated.

You register a domain, then a full 24 hrs later, the domain still shows available and is not in my account, and noone can explain what's really going on.

If its a good numeric, they're probably gonna try and keep it.

•••
If its a good numeric, they're probably gonna try and keep it.
I don't know if it's a good one. I really don't even know why I regged it. It's an 8N. We'll see what happens. I'm gonna pressure GD this morning. They are big on customer satisfaction. Maybe they will get it done.

•••
Okay, per GD just now, there is a known issue with new domain setup for .xyz, .website, and a couple of others. They have added my registration to a list of domains that have been escalated and will be fixed. Now, here's the kicker...They have no eta on when the issue will be resolved, but they assure me that I have registered the domain and that it will be in my account...someday.

What a mess.

•••

I registered a numeric domain yesterday morning at 9:15am at GoDaddy. Every time I register a new domain, it is immediately in my account.

It's June, The XYZ'ers are on vacation in Maui. Swanky Santa Monica building they have for a startup. I wonder how many employees they have too and what the overhead is for that.

•••
It's June, The XYZ'ers are on vacation in Maui. Swanky Santa Monica building they have for a startup. I wonder how many employees they have too and what the overhead is for that.
I've been to their offices many times. They actually have a quite small staff.

•••
Does .xyz extension really exists?

•••
•••
Well, I guess I like torture, so I went over to Dynadot and registered a different .xyz. This time, it came right through and the whois looks correct.

I'll have to wait on the one from GD. We'll see what happens.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back