IT.COM

new gtlds ALERT: .XYZ Registry Stealing Back Newly Registered Numerics?

NameSilo
Watch
I registered all the below domains on 6/1/2017 after searching for 10's of thousands of numerics to purchase. Since I purchased, I renewed for 1 year and parked. Last night, all the domains had my 1 year renewal removed without any notification or email (or refund) and all have been put into the Pending Delete status so the parked pages no longer resolve, again, without any notification or email.

It's ridiculous that a registry can advertise on selling numerics, we research for hours and then buy available numerics from them, and then I'm assuming is going through the processes to steal them back. I've been a supporter of the xyz registry but that may change soon. This may be a warning for all .xyz domain owners if the registry is taking back registered domains.

Here are all the domains I purchased. My name is still in the whois but as you can see the domains are now Pending Delete even though they don't expire until 6/1/2018. I have emailed both the XYZ Registry and Dynadot (where I registered the domains) about 6-7 hours ago. Still no explanation whatsoever.

I will update this thread as I get more information. Do note that I know of at least 1 other person who is in the same situation as me.

176.xyz
175.xyz
174.xyz
173.xyz
172.xyz
170.xyz
169.xyz
167.xyz
165.xyz
164.xyz
162.xyz
159.xyz
157.xyz
154.xyz
153.xyz
152.xyz
149.xyz
147.xyz
146.xyz
145.xyz
143.xyz
142.xyz
140.xyz
137.xyz
134.xyz
130.xyz
129.xyz
127.xyz
125.xyz
124.xyz
107.xyz
104.xyz

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Just to give an update, XYZ finally responded to me. Pretty much a slap in the face.

Hi Brock,

Unfortunately, these domains were registered in error. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Your registrar should have credited you for the transaction already. Please follow up with them if you don't see a credit.

Thanks,
Shayan

•••
•••
Just to give an update, XYZ finally responded to me. Pretty much a slap in the face.

Hi Brock,

Unfortunately, these domains were registered in error. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Your registrar should have credited you for the transaction already. Please follow up with them if you don't see a credit.

Thanks,
Shayan

Got the exact same answer. Just with my name instead.

•••
One weird thing is that the other domains that myself and Fancy didn't register are still registered. Ex. 103.xyz

•••
they made a mistake. obviously a software/api glitch. it happens...
imagine that you find $1M credited to your banking account the other day by mistake. would you expect the bank not to debit it back without a notice and insist they should still give it to you because it was their mistake not yours so make them pay for their mistakes and a client is always right blah blah blah...

* i don't own a single .xyz name and not planning to

why compare apple to oranges, i dont get it why you comparing the domains to cash, two different things and two different issues. I think he deserve the names, regardless of what registry has to say.

.XYZ is run by jokers - so i would advise everyone not to be part of this circus, because JOKER CEO think he has innovated something, but he is DUMB JOKer, who keep at scamming people by blowing up stats. He keeps on doing this because, it is keep on working on noobs like you.

•••
This is another way to get people to talk about .XYZ, JOKER CEO is playing you all.

•••
.XYZ is run by jokers - so i would advise everyone not to be part of this circus, because JOKER CEO think he has innovated something, but he is DUMB JOKer, who keep at scamming people by blowing up stats. He keeps on doing this because, it is keep on working on noobs like you.

thanks, Guru. eye opening comment..

sincerely,
noob

•••
Was that for $2,700?

it had gotta be more... I think the bills in those guys wallets don't come in denomations smaller than say 10k. ;)

wtf-is-this.jpg

Last edited:
•••
•••
Had my hand reg grid.xyz which I had for several days stolen just this morning!!!

We apologize for the confusion. However, we have received notification from the .XYZ Registry that there was a pricing discrepancy regarding, GRID.XYZ. As this domain name is a premium domain and was incorrectly listed at regular pricing at the time of your purchase. Due to this discrepancy, the Registry has requested that we delete and refund the domain name.
Per their request, we have since removed the domain name from your Name.com account and have provided a refund in the amount of $0.99. Your refund should be returned in approximately 3-5 business days. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this matter, please feel free to call the .XYZ Registry to further discuss pricing.
Please let us know if there is anything else we may be able to assist you with!

•••
Had my hand reg grid.xyz which I had for several days stolen just this morning!!!

We apologize for the confusion. However, we have received notification from the .XYZ Registry that there was a pricing discrepancy regarding, GRID.XYZ. As this domain name is a premium domain and was incorrectly listed at regular pricing at the time of your purchase. Due to this discrepancy, the Registry has requested that we delete and refund the domain name.
Per their request, we have since removed the domain name from your Name.com account and have provided a refund in the amount of $0.99. Your refund should be returned in approximately 3-5 business days. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this matter, please feel free to call the .XYZ Registry to further discuss pricing.

•••

That's terrible for a registry to do that. It's one thing if you dropped the domain but they should honor the price tag they put on it to the public. Total BS. You didn't steal. You registered the domain like anyone else.

I'll tell you, I have several domains that I know would be more if I dropped them. I got them when they were released with regular pricing.

Sorry you got treated like that. They should make it right. It's business.

Best of luck. Should be some recourse, I just don't know what it might be.

•••
One weird thing is that the other domains that myself and Fancy didn't register are still registered. Ex. 103.xyz
Whats weird? The registry, their buddies or their stealth companies like whateveregistries "north sound names", own them.

•••
I think you guys should create as much online noise about how these people operate. I don't see the registry owner/stakeholders posting anything to explain or apologize, whereas I have seen other disputes get clarified or apologies, etc.- from other registry companies with integrity. Those good companies actually have responded here on various issue right here on Namepros- such as Brandbucket, GD, NameSilo, Dynadot, etc. these companies are intelligent and all are interested in making sure their PR and customer service is correct. The longer this black cloud keeps hanging over on XYZ, the worse it gets.

This thread of debating is fine, but really it isn't doing much to the outside world though, why not:

* Write a letter the the LA BBB for starters.
* Find a lawyer willing to address this legally, (if there is a case) and make them defend themselves.
* Send a letter to ICANN regardless of expectations
* Find out who all the behind the scenes investors in this company are and expose them.
* post links to this in other forums warning people about them
* write blog posts
* Send out some articles to Tech journals to do their own research into the entire snakeoil .whatever

I would volunteer, but I have no dog in this fight other than trying to bring the attention to bring integrity in a marketplace. Some of you won't because your ties politically with this tribe of dot whatevers, I have no problem saying it like it is. SnakeOil. Period.

Last edited:
•••
•••

Sorry to hear this.

On a legal basis, just wondering if there's anything saying if you possessed the domain for X amount of time, then registry has to recognize you as registrant...

Should I be worried of them taking back my .XYZ domains that I've held for over a year (paid renewals) Some were purchased on NP so a refund to original buyer wouldn't be applicable.

•••
Sorry to hear this.

On a legal basis, just wondering if there's anything saying if you possessed the domain for X amount of time, then registry has to recognize you as registrant...

Should I be worried of them taking back my .XYZ domains that I've held for over a year (paid renewals) Some were purchased on NP so a refund to original buyer wouldn't be applicable.

I would like to think there would be legal time frame, but don't know if one exists.

I have a .xyz from 2014 they would probably like to take back more than grid.xyz. I wouldn't be too worried about them taking it back if it has been registered over a year. If it ever gets dropped and re-registered I'd be concerned.

•••
•••

WTH is going on?! This is just TOO MUCH!

•••

grid.xyz is a premium with $3,000 reg fee
until they fix their premium reg api you can check the list out before regging to avoid disappointment:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zsXrkKRUB87LCaOm83eFRi6jY0mckv1eVRtbdPZpzts/edit?usp=sharing

•••
Sorry to hear this.

they are already known to block countless domains. for no good reason. which is probably why namecheap stoped supporting them. cause clients would randomly wake up to blocked domains, unusable, and when contacted xyz registry they'd not release them. I suspect nc was flooded with daily emails and chat questions why xyz is randomyl blocking domains, giving zero warning and then not unblocking them... so I guess this is one way of just kinda gettign back whatever domains they may want. they can go and block it.. then person cannot use it.. and requiests to unblock do not work.. so they just eventually drop it.. do not renew... that sort of thing. no doubt many people lost countless dollars on their reg prices.. cause at any random point into their registration, their domains would just get blocked. and stay blocked til the end. no warning, no explanation, and no unblocking.. and definiely no refund. so its money lost.. gone. just like that. as they please, when they please. nasty.. I know.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I'm prety sure the way its supposed to go for any non joke company is to fix reg api first.. then offer domains for sale.

i agree. of course they are supposed to... but you know even BMW recalls their cars from time to time.
we live in a digital age. computers are fragile :)

•••
i agree. of course they are supposed to... but you know even BMW recalls their cars from time to time.
we live in a digital age. computers are fragile :)

I would probably compare xyz more to the volks than the bmw... in terms of scandalous.
but okay.. I get your point ;) cheers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back