Dynadot .com transfer sale, only $10.12 with coupon code DYNA12, available while supplies last, ends October 31, 2026.

Aged domains question

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch
Impact
56,995
I have a question that I hope someone more experienced in domain investing can provide insight on....

Very frequently I see mention in domain name sales that the domain is aged or how many years old it is, as though this is universally a good thing.

I understand completely how if the domain has been used in a website in a positive way, has received meaningful links from other websites, etc. that being aged is a plus that will make the domain more valuable.

However, what if the domain was first registered say 12 years ago, but has essentially sat parked for most or all of that period? In this case I don't see how being aged is positive, and maybe even it could be negative if an unsuccessful attempt has been made to sell the domain over years. Of course, you may have new ideas for promotion and hope to find success where others have not with the domain name, but I still don't see why per se being aged is always positive and meaningful.

Or am I missing something? Thanks for any insights.

Bob
 
1
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
If every hand reg would sell for at least $500 .. then I'll say age doesn't matter. Let me know when that happens.
 
0
•••
If every hand reg would sell for at least $500 .. then I'll say age doesn't matter. Let me know when that happens.

Conversely,if every aged domain could sell for at least 5k, then I'll say age matters. Let me know when that happens :)
 
0
•••
If every hand reg would sell for at least $500 .. then I'll say age doesn't matter. Let me know when that happens.
If every aged domain would sell for at least 500$....then I'll say that age matter. Let em know when that happens.
 
1
•••
Yes, but it was not sold when it was freshly regged, when it was sold for 65k was already a few years old. My oldest name is less than 3 years old, hand regged by me, so you can't say it's aged and believe me or not, I'm not into auctions of aged names.

You are better than those newbies at hand registering I believe. You know what to register. There is a lot of gold in the garbage bin of deleted domains, I know. I just prefer an aged $20 domain over a $10 handreg. Start buying aged domains and you'll know the difference.
 
0
•••
Conversely,if every aged domain could sell for at least 5k, then I'll say age matters. Let me know when that happens :)
If every aged domain would sell for at least 500$....then I'll say that age matter. Let em know when that happens.

That's what you guys have been doing this page 1 of this thread. Picking $20-30 sales of aged domains to prove your point, while thousands of 2016 regs are dropping. :)
 
0
•••
If you know what to buy, hand regs can be profitable but the probability of an aged domain being profitable is much higher than that of a handreg. Ask yourself why thousands of 2016 regs are dropping everyday while there are only a few from 1990s.
 
0
•••
You are better than those newbies at hand registering I believe. You know what to register. There is a lot of gold in the garbage bin of deleted domains, I know. I just prefer an aged $20 domain over a $10 handreg. Start buying aged domains and you'll know the difference.
Everybody has his own strategy. We can make a simple experiment. Give me an example of aged domain sold for around 2,5k this year and let me know how much profit could bring in the next 5 years. I can bet that with that 2,5k, buying hand reg's using discounts, so around 1000 hand reg, I can make at least double the profit you will make by investing in that aged domain, in the same time frame.
 
1
•••
EVerything was hand registered at some point. Wassapoint of mentioning that something that was hand registered was sold for whatever later?

The discussion is whether or not the age of the domain matters and it is absurd to argue that it does not. What was available years ago was better, and a larger pool, than what is available today.

The stuff that is available to hang reg today, was available years ago, too! However most of what was available years ago, especially the good stuff, is not available to hand register today.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
If you know what to buy, hand regs can be profitable but the probability of an aged domain being profitable is much higher than that of a handreg. Ask yourself why thousands of 2016 regs are dropping everyday while there are only a few from 1990s.
The answer is simple: in 1990 there were around 1150 domains registered and in 2016 there were a few millions, so it's normal to have more than thousands more dropping from the 2016 hand reg's.
 
0
•••
The answer is simple: in 1990 there were around 1150 domains registered and in 2016 there were a few millions, so it's normal to have more than thousands more dropping from the 2016 hand reg's.

1990s .. nineteen ninetees.

how many domains were registered in 1999? add 2000 too.

Add all domains from 1990-2000 that drop on any particular day.. now see how many of those regged in 2016 were dropped.
 
0
•••
1990s .. nineteen ninetees.

how many domains were registered in 1999? add 2000 too.

Add all domains from 1990-2000 that drop on any particular day.. now see how many of those regged in 2016 were dropped.
It's something the same...I could not find the exact amount registered from 1990 until 1999, but I would say somewhere around 100k, in the same time in the last 10 year they were over 100 million registered, so the result will be the same.
 
0
•••
Okay so I did a search at Expireddomains.net

.com's dropped in last 12 hours

Domains from 1980's - Dec 31 2000.
About 245 Domains

Then 2016 .com domains dropped in last 12 hours
About 33,137 Domains
 
Last edited:
2
•••
We can say that every day less than 500 domains from 1980's to 2000 drop while at the same time 30000 domains registered last year drop.

Too many people registering too many domains? Obvious but why are they dropping? Bitcoinsomething sold for $xxxxx but thousands of domains registered at that time sold for $0.
 
Last edited:
2
•••
Those are used car salesman tactics other than "the age of the domain matters for SEO" which can be true, yes, but isn't really the greatest selling point.

Better is to present the comparables for closed sales and current offerings, and reach a value based on those.

Also you are completely missing the point, by arguing that whether the domain has been used for something or not is relevant. Not necessarily. I have domains that I just sold for five figures that haven't been used for anything but PPC parking since we had registered them 13 years ago. The right buyer just hadn't come along yet.

And if you come in like this buyer:



you end up sounding like a bozo, not edifying and will not get you anywhere. Had another bozo say something like, "Well it's your fault for having held on to that domain that long" when he made another ridiculously low offer, trying to act like he should get it cheap because it had been sitting unsold all this time.


Anyway, I don't even mention the age of the domain when negotiating a sale. It doesn't occur to me to mention it. It simply remains at the back of my mind, and at some point what I might say is that this domain is superior to anything you could hand register today, which by implication means that the age matters, which - it does!


That`s a businessman approach which you may have never had experience for.

If I am the buyer I would like to source it as cheap as it is possible and if I am the seller I would seek the best possible high profit I can make from it.

I am a businessman besides if I would like to buy a domain which is aged, I would check if it is used before on the internet. Any bad history from search engines - seeking traffic tactics - using porn related stuff and so on- those are some possibilities you can face, people always want to achieve their mission by taking lousy shortcuts for SEO and got banned by search engines.

Or the business who preowned that domain had bankrupt leaving bunch of depths to their customers. If I am in the same industry and naming my business, related to that website, I wouldn`t want to receive the bad name from previous owners stinky job..

So yeah it matters if the domain has not succeeded in the past 15 years. And yes it matters if its a used domain or not.

If the domain is not used before it doesn`t mean it is not succeeded.

I think I made it clear on my next statement where I said :

"If I am the seller
I would ask more if it has a clean history, never used let's say in the past 15 years and would add, the age of the domain matters for SEO."

See who is the bozo missing all the important points that you should consider while buying an aged domain.

Coming to your experience from that bozo buyer you mentioned above - I don`t really care cause I don`t even know for which name you guys were negotiating and there is no way you would know if I would even consider buying that domain. Which is totally irrelevant.

Next time carefully choose your words when you are speaking to me.
 
0
•••
Well you gotta figure that some terms like bitcoin meant nothing in the 1990s, so there are some newer registrations that no one would have thought of back then. And then there are some terms from the 1990s that have fallen out of favor.

But yes, Haris, brilliant! post and great! culling of statistics. I think that really means something that only a few hunny domains from the early days are dropping per day versus TENS OF THOUSANDS dropping per day of the newer registrations.
 
1
•••
That's what you guys have been doing this page 1 of this thread. Picking $20-30 sales of aged domains to prove your point, while thousands of 2016 regs are dropping. :)

Besides,If the referenced domains are from the drop or expired lists, they are not truly aged. To be aged a domain must show uninterrupted ownership applicable to the time-frame qualifying it for a seniority status. To make matters worse, sometimes a change of a registrar (not to speak of a change of intermediary ownership) during history of a domain is all it takes to legally (in the eyes of the court) nullify a domain's age..
 
Last edited:
0
•••
What we're talking about here is when the domain was original "created" as far as its age - when the name came into existence.
 
Last edited:
2
•••
What we're talking about here is when the domain was original "created" as far as its age.

Yes, of course,I am aware of this. Wanted to add an extra angle.
 
Last edited:
1
•••
We can say that every day less than 500 domains from 1980's to 2000 drop while at the same time 30000 domains registered last year drop.

Too many people registering too many domains? Obvious but why are they dropping? Bitcoinsomething sold for $xxxxx but at thousands of domains registered at that time sold for $0.
So, the result of your data is that around 60 times more domains have dropped from 2016 comparing 1990-2000 dropped domains, but if you count the number of registrations, 1990-2000 to 2016 probably there will be more than 60 times more registered domains in 2016, so it's somehow the same.
 
0
•••
"
if you count the number of registrations, 1990-2000 to 2016 probably there will be more than 60 times more registered domains in 2016, so it's somehow the same.

"

Also based on what haris wrote:

.com's dropped in last 12 hours

Domains from 1980's - Dec 31 2000.
About 245 Domains

Then 2016 .com domains dropped in last 12 hours
About 33,137 Domains


That would mean about 500 per 24 hours for the old days, versus about 66K for the new days, which is not 60X more, but about 130X more.

I'd like to see the statistics on this. Somehow I don't think so, I don't think that 130x more names are being registered (created for the first time) today versus say fifteen years ago.
 
Last edited:
1
•••
DomainEasy: flexible LTO options. Close more domain deals with financing.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover

NamePros updates

Scheduled posts now show a small calendar icon
When NamePros posts something for you on a schedule, you will now see a small calendar icon before its date. Move your mouse over the...
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back