IT.COM

information Afternic Update

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Joe Styler

Aftermarket Product ManagerTop Member
GoDaddy Staff
Impact
There are several threads ongoing about Afternic so it was easier to start a new one here with the big picture of what is going on. A few weeks ago we had a major release which did away with the escrow process on Afternic and started a new service called Transaction Assurance. There are several main reasons why we did it, two of the big ones being:
1. Compliance - We are not an escrow company and using this new flow allows us to be compliant to all laws in the areas we operate which is very important for everyone.
2. Ease of use - Much of what we have done over the past 2 years around the Aftermarket is being done to reduce overall friction for the buyer and seller to allow domains to move to buyers easier and make managing your domains for sale easier.

There are other reasons for doing this which tie into a bigger picture of other projects we have in line for the coming year or so which also allow for better sales for our sellers such as faster payment times and more International payment options as well as better/easier domain management and some bigger improvements that have been asked for by customers for a while.

The project was not rushed or left untested. In fact we put in over 8 man years of labor on it and did extensive testing. Part of the project involved us integrating with two 3rd party providers to help with International payments and communications. These are big name companies with a track record of success and utilizing their tools behind the scenes will help everyone in the long run to be able to sell more domains easier.

Obviously things have not gone as well as we would have liked, but we are actively working on resolving the issues around communication and payments. We have had meetings at the highest levels to take care of this as a very high priority. As of today we believe most email communication issue are resolved.

We are not only meeting about things we are actively deploying new code and changes and other teams are working to manually jump in and help out so we can get answers for our customers and make sure they are being paid. I personally saw many people working late nights and over the weekends doing what they could to keep improving the processes because our customers are very important to us. We have a good team who have all pulled together to try and help it is not just me on the forum answering questions I couldn't do it without the help of our Aftermarket teams.

I think we are very close to having a smoothly operating process again with a better ultimate process for the future which will allow you to grow with us and continue to sell domains at a better rate of return. Thank you for your patience and for being a customer.

If you are waiting for payment the #1 thing I have seen resolve this the fastest is to login to your Afternic account and go to your payment settings. Make sure that you have a payment set up as a default option and that is correct. We migrated all the old payment information into the new system. If you are in doubt or cannot find a way to select a default payment option it is faster to create a new payment method (even using the same info you already have) and select that new payment method as your default. Doing this will tell the system to try and pay you for any outstanding balance you are owed.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Payout date 4-27, today 5-2 and nothing..calls to Afternic of course but was told of a lag. This is what Joe must be talking about.... Hope in future kinks are worked out. Sedo was just as bad but they paid much much quicker...next day in fact after transfer was confirmed.

•••
***UPDATE*** Just got email from Paypal and I logged in... I got paid. There is hope for others. Thank you to Joe for the updates

•••
***UPDATE*** Just got email from Paypal and I logged in... I got paid. There is hope for others. Thank you to Joe for the updates
what's your payout date?

•••
My transaction closed on 24th, payout date May 1st... payment outstanding...glad to see some people are getting paid.

I'm not sure if these people making payments are still using typewriters or what.

•••
in my case I have Payout dates April 12 and 13 .....

•••
in my case I have Payout dates April 12 and 13 .....
Something is out of wack there, your payment profile must not have migrated properly, now you are probably lost in the shuffle. Yours should be a priority payment as we are coming onto your one month anniversary here.

•••
Sent an email then got paid, doubt it was related though :ROFL:

•••
Sent an email then got paid, doubt it was related though :ROFL:
No, afternic does not handle payments in house anymore. Third party payment processor is handling it now, once they release the money to them, they essentially have no way of tracking it until they report back.

Congrats on getting paid, seems like such a feat just getting paid, let alone selling the domain.

Off topic:

GoDaddy (GDDY) reported earnings after the close, the stock is up 3.5% in after hours to a new high of $40.75.

Last edited:
•••
Something is out of wack there, your payment profile must not have migrated properly, now you are probably lost in the shuffle. Yours should be a priority payment as we are coming onto your one month anniversary here.

Trust me have contacted them several times. Have management people looking into it too, have escalated the matter, followed up and still.... I guess eventual next step is a lawyer letter

•••
what's your payout date?

4-27. Had to make calls of course and then after I got paid about an hour later got an email from their "3rd party" company to say I should have got may payment. Happy I just got it but hopefully it is much much faster in the future. Also I got paid via paypal w/o any fees taking out as well which was nice.

•••
4-27. Had to make calls of course and then after I got paid about an hour later got an email from their "3rd party" company to say I should have got may payment. Happy I just got it but hopefully it is much much faster in the future. Also I got paid via paypal w/o any fees taking out as well which was nice.
Afternic has always paid via masspay without fees. Glad someone lit a fire under the processing company to start paying out all that money they have been collecting.

•••
There are several threads ongoing about Afternic so it was easier to start a new one here with the big picture of what is going on. A few weeks ago we had a major release which did away with the escrow process on Afternic and started a new service called Transaction Assurance. There are several main reasons why we did it, two of the big ones being:
1. Compliance - We are not an escrow company and using this new flow allows us to be compliant to all laws in the areas we operate which is very important for everyone.
2. Ease of use - Much of what we have done over the past 2 years around the Aftermarket is being done to reduce overall friction for the buyer and seller to allow domains to move to buyers easier and make managing your domains for sale easier.

There are other reasons for doing this which tie into a bigger picture of other projects we have in line for the coming year or so which also allow for better sales for our sellers such as faster payment times and more International payment options as well as better/easier domain management and some bigger improvements that have been asked for by customers for a while.

The project was not rushed or left untested. In fact we put in over 8 man years of labor on it and did extensive testing. Part of the project involved us integrating with two 3rd party providers to help with International payments and communications. These are big name companies with a track record of success and utilizing their tools behind the scenes will help everyone in the long run to be able to sell more domains easier.

Obviously things have not gone as well as we would have liked, but we are actively working on resolving the issues around communication and payments. We have had meetings at the highest levels to take care of this as a very high priority. As of today we believe most email communication issue are resolved.

We are not only meeting about things we are actively deploying new code and changes and other teams are working to manually jump in and help out so we can get answers for our customers and make sure they are being paid. I personally saw many people working late nights and over the weekends doing what they could to keep improving the processes because our customers are very important to us. We have a good team who have all pulled together to try and help it is not just me on the forum answering questions I couldn't do it without the help of our Aftermarket teams.

I think we are very close to having a smoothly operating process again with a better ultimate process for the future which will allow you to grow with us and continue to sell domains at a better rate of return. Thank you for your patience and for being a customer.

If you are waiting for payment the #1 thing I have seen resolve this the fastest is to login to your Afternic account and go to your payment settings. Make sure that you have a payment set up as a default option and that is correct. We migrated all the old payment information into the new system. If you are in doubt or cannot find a way to select a default payment option it is faster to create a new payment method (even using the same info you already have) and select that new payment method as your default. Doing this will tell the system to try and pay you for any outstanding balance you are owed.

Will godaddy offer domain name insurance as standard when purchasing a domain at some point

And or free escrow even for transactions outside godaddy

And or a free trademark check service prior to buying a domain so that those outside the industry who may be unaware of the impact a trademark can have on a domain and who only buy a domain once every decade lol don't need to worry about checking for trademarks as it will be trademark checked as standard prior to purchase?

Could godaddy negotiate an agreement with PayPal that offers a no returns accepted option so that domains cannot be snatched by buyers requesting reimbursement and keeping the domain etc

•••
Will godaddy offer domain name insurance as standard when purchasing a domain at some point

And or free escrow even for transactions outside godaddy

And or a free trademark check service prior to buying a domain so that those outside the industry who may be unaware of the impact a trademark can have on a domain and who only buy a domain once every decade lol don't need to worry about checking for trademarks as it will be trademark checked as standard prior to purchase?

Could godaddy negotiate an agreement with PayPal that offers a no returns accepted option so that domains cannot be snatched by buyers requesting reimbursement and keeping the domain etc
Trademark check service would actually hurt sales, and confuse buyers. Lots of misconceptions about trademarks, and different uses, so I would stay away from that avenue. Lots of free tools online to check already.

Why would godaddy work a deal with paypal, when they have a sales channel that already covers your issue, if you use their service then you don't have to worry about this. Yes, it comes at a cost, but that is business.

•••
I have a transaction at GD which has transfered the domain to the buyer successfully since April 21st but I haven't received the funds yet (via my Paypal account).

I have asked GD for sometimes but I don't know when I can have this funds yet because they don't give me a deadline.

For Afternic.com, I can't access it from Vietnam, maybe they ban users from Vietnam @Joe Styler

•••
got paid within one day after domain was pushed. Thats even faster then before the TA thing.
But yeah I had default payment in place.

Last edited:
•••
got paid within one day after domain was pushed. Tahts even faster then before the TA thing.
But yeah I had default payment in place.
I had default payment in place, going on 8 days now, no payment

•••
I'm not sure if these 2 issues are related, but I also have problems with Godaddy payments. Still waiting for some of them, that should have been paid long ago. What's interesting, until recently, there were no problems...

@Joe Styler, is Godaddy using the same third party payment processor?

•••
I quess I special then. Support replayed within 6 hours also. I used the contact TA agent thing.

But another transaction closing in few days, will see if that goes also smooth.

•••
I'm not sure if these 2 issues are related, but I also have problems with Godaddy payments. Still waiting for some of them, that should have been paid long ago. What's interesting, until recently, there were no problems...

@Joe Styler, is Godaddy using the same third party payment processor?
No, he has already stated they are using a new payment processor, things have changed.

•••
No, he has already stated they are using a new payment processor, things have changed.
This is why I asked, because in the past everything was working fine...

•••
I can't add PayPal as a 'Payment Method' neither in GoDaddy Payee accounts nor AfterNic "Domain Sale Payments from Afternic". I had a PayPal account on file before the update and received money through PayPal from sales at AfterNic. I am a Non-US customer. Please assist @Joe Styler

•••
I know the primary issues were around payments but does the Afternic team have any focus on the UX and features around the core product itself? Like portfolio management, bulk editing, parking reports and even a simple feature like domain filtering?

•••
still no payments:

upload_2017-5-3_11-7-20.png

•••
I'm also waiting for a payment, the expecting payment date keeps changing as well. Its now set to 4th May which is tomorrow, so i will see if i get paid or not.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back