Afternic - Official Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

GoDaddy

Established Member
GoDaddy Staff
Impact
Hello NamePros!
By popular demand, we have launched a dedicated feedback thread for Afternic, the GoDaddy-owned domain name marketplace.

We have created this thread as a way for you to tell us what works, what doesn't work, and what features you'd like to see at Afternic (please be constructive with your feedback). We're looking forward to hearing from the domain investment community to help us shape the future of Afternic.

We will also be sharing Afternic product updates in this thread.

Please note that this thread is not meant for support. Please email our support team at [email protected] for assistance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for creating this official thread.

Please make it possible to bulk delete domains from Afternic, without having to upload and reconcile the complete porfolio. Just by pasting the to be deleted domains in a text field. See DAN for an example on how to implement this.

Thank you.

•••
It is good you have created an official thread...better late than never.

Without touching on the new pricing issues, I would like to see more transparent/constructive/informational communication from a 'broker' once we have been contacted about pricing on a domain as the result of an inquiry.

The vast majority of my names are 'make offer' and when the communication comes in from Afternic, it is the standard 'keep system robust...add a price...etc'. I assume this type of communication happens when a lead comes in from the network rather than through Afteric directly.

Over the years, not once has a 'broker' reached out or responded constructively to one of my emails. Of course some of the names generating an inquiry were average, but a few were top tier...I was surprised there was so little interaction about a name that could fetch mid to high xx,xxx dollars.

When an offer came in through your new partner, Dan, and I assigned it to a broker, the communication was quick and helpful. Will Afternic incorporate the level of service that was available for a time with Dan or will it remain the same?

•••
Please stop allowing adding domains one does not own. As proven in various NP threads, it is a major issue within all GD properties, including afternic and dan. In other words, it must be obligatory to verify ownership via DNS or CNAME for any and all added domains. This includes "special" clients with API access. Thank you.

•••
I would like to see more transparent/constructive/informational communication from a 'broker' once we have been contacted about pricing on a domain as the result of an inquiry.

The vast majority of my names are 'make offer' and when the communication comes in from Afternic, it is the standard 'keep system robust...add a price...etc'. I assume this type of communication happens when a lead comes in from the network rather than through Afteric directly.

Over the years, not once has a 'broker' reached out or responded constructively to one of my emails. Of course some of the names generating an inquiry were average, but a few were top tier...I was surprised there was so little interaction about a name that could fetch mid to high xx,xxx dollars.

When an offer came in through your new partner, Dan, and I assigned it to a broker, the communication was quick and helpful. Will Afternic incorporate the level of service that was available for a time with Dan or will it remain the same?
Great post, I couldn't agree more. If a potential buyer shows an interest in one of my names (any type of interest) I, as the seller, should be able to receive more information than we currently get.

•••
It's great to have you here. Hope it can help everyone.

Does this also mean that all previous service posts about afternic will no longer provide replies. I mean that you will only provide communication in this post in the future, is that right? Ty.

Last edited:
•••
What Afternic needs to implement:

– option to automatically verify domains which would override listings by other people
– stop auto delisting domains into "pending review" because of transfer/expiration (at least two weeks past expiration should not affect the listings since such domains are perfectly transferrable and thus sellable). Replace this with dashboard warnings (and optional email warnings).
– support domain pushes at all significant registrars so that domains after registration/transfer could be sold without delays
– reconsider fee structure for high value domains (15% for >100k domains is nonsense and even more so is 25%)
– option for automatic distribution of listings to Dan.com
– either support for crypto payments at Afternic landing pages or option to forward checkout to Dan.com where such support exists

•••
Add a filter for price/ price ranges

It will make bulk updates on prices easy

Thanks!

Last edited:
•••
Please fix the following problematic issues with Afternic:

1- Afternic NS5/NS6 does not resolve in Firefox private browsing!

I reported this bug before to @James Iles and to Afternic support 45 days ago but still nothing.

2- Old Godaddy auction listings (listed by others) override Afternic NS5/NS6 landing page:

I reported this issue in full details in this thread:
Afternic listing does not override Old Godaddy Auctions

3- Automated Verification method is needed when adding names to Afternic:

We need a faster and more practical method for domains verrification, rather than providing screenshots to Afternic support. Also to prevent others from listing our names, which is reported here in this thread:
There are some people list millions of other people's domain on afternic

4- No camel case for domain names in Afternic landing pages:

Why I can't show MyDomainName.com instead of mydomainname? Is it so hard to implement?

5- Search field shows up at checkout (bad) in NS5/NS6 BIN pages!

1.jpg

6- Suggested cheap Alternative at checkout of NS5/NS6 BIN pages!

2.jpg

•••
Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone. Some really good suggestions. Myself and @GoDaddy will be watching this thread closely for suggestions. We'll also be announcing new features in this thread, as a way of forming a feedback loop.

I reported this bug before to @James Iles and to Afternic support 45 days ago but still nothing.

That is going to be addressed. It is part of some wider work, which will be implemented. No ETA on that at the moment.

•••
We have created this thread as a way for you to tell us what works, what doesn't work, and what features you'd like to see at Afternic (please be constructive with your feedback). We're looking forward to hearing from the domain investment community to help us shape the future of Afternic.

We will also be sharing Afternic product updates in this thread.
By the way, are there chances of receiving responses from GoDadday on various suggestions submitted in this thread?

Last edited:
•••
•••
Stop forcing users of platforms you acquired to join Afternic. Example: Uniregistry's Uni Market. The method of cross-listing you chose broke down the Uni Market in numerous ways. You know it and we know that you know it.

Good to see that Dan users still have the option to not list their domains on Afternic. It should be left alone as a choice.

Waiting for Afternic 2.0 to exit beta before attempting to use its services.

•••
It would be nice to see:
- some metrics introduced to the dashboard (leads, analytics, views, ect)
- an integration with GD auction listings - being able to view how long each domain listing has been up/time left via the search engine on the GD auction.
-fix the "opt in to Afternic Fast Transfer" issue - I always have a few names that I need to delete and relist to be eligible.

•••
Thanks for creating this official thread.

Please make it possible to bulk delete domains from Afternic, without having to upload and reconcile the complete porfolio. Just by pasting the to be deleted domains in a text field. See DAN for an example on how to implement this.

Thank you.
I'll investigate this, thanks for posting.

It is good you have created an official thread...better late than never.

Without touching on the new pricing issues, I would like to see more transparent/constructive/informational communication from a 'broker' once we have been contacted about pricing on a domain as the result of an inquiry.

Improved lead management is on the roadmap. Thanks!

Please stop allowing adding domains one does not own. As proven in various NP threads, it is a major issue within all GD properties, including afternic and dan. In other words, it must be obligatory to verify ownership via DNS or CNAME for any and all added domains. This includes "special" clients with API access. Thank you.
Better ownership verification is something that is on the roadmap. Thanks!

What Afternic needs to implement:

– option to automatically verify domains which would override listings by other people
– stop auto delisting domains into "pending review" because of transfer/expiration (at least two weeks past expiration should not affect the listings since such domains are perfectly transferrable and thus sellable). Replace this with dashboard warnings (and optional email warnings).
– support domain pushes at all significant registrars so that domains after registration/transfer could be sold without delays
– reconsider fee structure for high value domains (15% for >100k domains is nonsense and even more so is 25%)
– option for automatic distribution of listings to Dan.com
– either support for crypto payments at Afternic landing pages or option to forward checkout to Dan.com where such support exists
Better verification is on the roadmap. Thanks! I'll investigate the auto-delisting domains.

2- Old Godaddy auction listings (listed by others) override Afternic NS5/NS6 landing page:

I reported this issue in full details in this thread:
Afternic listing does not override Old Godaddy Auctions

3- Automated Verification method is needed when adding names to Afternic:

We need a faster and more practical method for domains verrification, rather than providing screenshots to Afternic support. Also to prevent others from listing our names, which is reported here in this thread:
There are some people list millions of other people's domain on afternic

4- No camel case for domain names in Afternic landing pages:

Why I can't show MyDomainName.com instead of mydomainname? Is it so hard to implement?

5- Search field shows up at checkout (bad) in NS5/NS6 BIN pages!

Show attachment 232392

6- Suggested cheap Alternative at checkout of NS5/NS6 BIN pages!

Show attachment 232393
There are some good suggestions here. I will investigate the camel-casing. Better verification is on the roadmap. Thanks!

It would be nice to see:
- some metrics introduced to the dashboard (leads, analytics, views, ect)
- an integration with GD auction listings - being able to view how long each domain listing has been up/time left via the search engine on the GD auction.
-fix the "opt in to Afternic Fast Transfer" issue - I always have a few names that I need to delete and relist to be eligible.

Added metrics is on the roadmap! Thanks :)

On your point about the Afternic Fast Transfer issue, can you DM me to talk me through it? I haven't encountered that and would like more information.

•••
I'll investigate this, thanks for posting.

Improved lead management is on the roadmap. Thanks!

Better ownership verification is something that is on the roadmap. Thanks!

Better verification is on the roadmap. Thanks! I'll investigate the auto-delisting domains.

There are some good suggestions here. I will investigate the camel-casing. Better verification is on the roadmap. Thanks!

Added metrics is on the roadmap! Thanks :)

On your point about the Afternic Fast Transfer issue, can you DM me to talk me through it? I haven't encountered that and would like more information.

There any many things to be done.
I don't know how will you prioritize them.
Maybe a pall in Namepros with all these suggestions would be a good idea

Last edited:
•••
First on the list should be ownership verification

Having to email cs more than 3 times to delist an outdated marketplace listing isn't funny.

Lost a sale because my domain was priced lower on GoDaddy by the previous owner, buyer became skeptical and lost interest

•••
@Everyone, we appreciate your contributions to the thread so far!

What do we do with this feedback?
Your feedback will shape the future of Afternic. Product suggestions are highlighted to project managers, who can explore those ideas, and other product feedback is surfaced to the appropriate teams.

While we encourage you to leave Afternic feedback in this thread, you can also email [email protected].

We look forward to sharing some Afternic updates with you soon.

•••
The Search function (Afternic Portfolio page) does not trim whitespace, which is annoying. When pasting a domain into this field, it may happen that the domain contains a leading or trailing space. Afternic should silently trim these spaces, and not issue a warning like this:

1676996659632.png

Last edited:
•••
I think most will agree that all this feedback is pointless when there is no publicly disclosed commitment to a time frame. E.g. by Q2/2023 the deliverables are [insert list of tasks to be completed.]

Domain investors want to use a service that is stable and mature. Think: Uni Market & Dan.

•••
I think most will agree that all this feedback is pointless when there is no publicly disclosed commitment to a time frame. E.g. by Q2/2023 the deliverables are [insert list of tasks to be completed.]

Domain investors want to use a service that is stable and mature. Think: Uni Market & Dan.
I continue to believe in the goodness of people, but you are right. I can't remember a case where our suggestions have led to improvement of the Afternic website.

•••
Afternic is a service provided by a public company that is run by a board of directors; ergo, its activities aren't meant for the benefit of consumers in general. Since 2000, I've used GoDaddy as much as the next domainer guy and I believe that the current methodology isn't surprising. But from a developer's standpoint, the production cycles at GD are painfully slow. Feedback has been provided since 2020 at least and what we have here is 2 acquisitions (Uni Market, Dan) and an elaborate attempt to strong-arm people's DNS choices by imposing a 25% fee structure that's been presented as the "real value" of the service.

On point: Afternic knows well how to fix itself, any back-and-forth here is for the sake of public relations.

Last edited:
•••
Afternic knows well how to fix itself
as far as I remember, at the same time, it cannot. Or, at least, not easy. Why? Because the code is not theirs. It is developed by / licensed from a 3rd party. This was disclosed in another afternic thread some time ago. So they need to pay real $$$ to have the things fixed or added. It also explains why there are different sets of DNS servers for different purposes - they simply do not have dns management or domain-specific setup inside the current system code :()

Last edited:
•••
The underlying tech is related to the issues, yet nothing stops them from using new tech they paid dear dollar for (Uni Market is a prime example.)

So I am not prepared to accept this as an excuse of such a slow progress in UX and features at Afternic. If anything, the "free lesson" cost $70+ million by acquiring Dan.com.

•••
$70+ million by acquiring Dan.com
by overpaying for Dan. Number of domains listed should have been one of the pricing criterias, and, with tons of fake listings, this number was obviously incorrect...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back