Afternic - Official Thread

NameSilo
Watch

GoDaddy

Established Member
GoDaddy Staff
Impact
Hello NamePros!
By popular demand, we have launched a dedicated feedback thread for Afternic, the GoDaddy-owned domain name marketplace.

We have created this thread as a way for you to tell us what works, what doesn't work, and what features you'd like to see at Afternic (please be constructive with your feedback). We're looking forward to hearing from the domain investment community to help us shape the future of Afternic.

We will also be sharing Afternic product updates in this thread.

Please note that this thread is not meant for support. Please email our support team at [email protected] for assistance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm certain GD did plenty of due diligence on that, so the price reflects a lot of valuation factors that we can speculate on.

Simply comparing the elegance and user-friendliness of Dan to the antiquated, buggy Afternic that seems unable to break out of its shell. It's saddening and reflects badly on the entire ecosystem at GoDaddy.

•••
I know this thread is not for support and it is just to tell you what “works and what doesn’t work”.
Well, afternic support doesn’t work…
Delayed answers, misinformation and indifference.

Indifference:
5 days ago, I bought 6 domains the same time. I got no receipt for 1 of them. I sent 2 emails to support, but no response yet. Yesterday, a GoDaddy sales rep called me, to ask me to complete the 6th transaction. I told him I had already paid. Apparently the only way to get refund for my payment, is to send you the receipt I never received! He provided me no other option. In the meantime I lost the domain I wanted to buy, as it’s not listed anymore…
No money and no domain!
(Of course I had previously contacted with my bank, and they assured me the payment completed normally from their side)

Misinformation:
The same godaddy sales rep negotiated on my side for a domain that I wanted to buy last week. He assured me that if I receive the domain through afternic in my GoDaddy account by push, there won’t be any lock period. After I received the domain, I saw that it’s locked for the next 60 days. I contacted him again and he told me to speak with Afternic Transaction Assurance. They confirmed that the domain will indeed be locked for 60 days…
So the rep gave me wrong information, either by mistake or on purpose, to close the sale.
(If I knew this in advance I would have transferred out the name instead of receiving it in godaddy.)

Delay:
I bought a domain 11/2, that I haven’t received yet.
The domain was purchased in afternic and registered in godaddy.
Why is it so difficult to transfer internally a domain? Aren’t you the same company?
Last update I had, 9 days ago, is that they are working on it!

•••
what “works and what doesn’t work”
Although none of the inquiries that I have received through the afternic 'network' have never panned out, I still respond.

What is not working for me, is my adding a BIN and FLOOR price to a name. I've tried 5 times over 3 days and it is not changing in their system. They even sent the notice a second time since they are not detecting a change.

•••
I know this thread is not for support and it is just to tell you what “works and what doesn’t work”.
Well, afternic support doesn’t work…
Delayed answers, misinformation and indifference.

Indifference:
5 days ago, I bought 6 domains the same time. I got no receipt for 1 of them. I sent 2 emails to support, but no response yet. Yesterday, a GoDaddy sales rep called me, to ask me to complete the 6th transaction. I told him I had already paid. Apparently the only way to get refund for my payment, is to send you the receipt I never received! He provided me no other option. In the meantime I lost the domain I wanted to buy, as it’s not listed anymore…
No money and no domain!
(Of course I had previously contacted with my bank, and they assured me the payment completed normally from their side)

Misinformation:
The same godaddy sales rep negotiated on my side for a domain that I wanted to buy last week. He assured me that if I receive the domain through afternic in my GoDaddy account by push, there won’t be any lock period. After I received the domain, I saw that it’s locked for the next 60 days. I contacted him again and he told me to speak with Afternic Transaction Assurance. They confirmed that the domain will indeed be locked for 60 days…
So the rep gave me wrong information, either by mistake or on purpose, to close the sale.
(If I knew this in advance I would have transferred out the name instead of receiving it in godaddy.)

Delay:
I bought a domain 11/2, that I haven’t received yet.
The domain was purchased in afternic and registered in godaddy.
Why is it so difficult to transfer internally a domain? Aren’t you the same company?
Last update I had, 9 days ago, is that they are working on it!

This is valuable information. The support leadership team will be notified. For added context, could you send your customer ID to [email protected]?

•••
Sometimes, afternic fast transfer authorization approvals are lost in cyberspace. In other words, domain approved on registrar end may never be shown as fast transfer on afternic end. Why? I do not know. The issue is less frequent with some registrars (never saw this @ porkbun for example), and happens more frequently with other registrars (namesilo for example). While each particular case can be solved by contacting afternic support and/or registrar support, and I do not have any pending cases right now, the following would be appreciated:

1. Afternic should find the root cause of the problem [afternic-registrar api?].

2. Afternic should provide an opportunity to resend fast transfer authorizations right from our control panel.

3. An opportunity to manage fast transfer listings (show/remove) should be offered by all participating registrars. At this time, not all registrars support it.

•••
Afternic knows well how to fix itself
I don't think they do?

Like Jerry Seinfeld once said to his Car Rental agent, when they had no car for him. "They know how to take the reservation, they just don't know how to hold the reservation! And isn't the holding of the reservation the most important part of the reservation?"

Dealing with Afternic is probably the most frustrating thing about domain investing! By far!
If they weren't so effective at sales, domain investors would most likely, not use the platform!

Last edited:
•••
This is valuable information. The support leadership team will be notified. For added context, could you send your customer ID to [email protected]?
Are you aware your "for sale" page hasn't been resolving for a while.

Or am I the only one experiencing it ?

Insert a domain name at the end of the link below and see for yourself

http://godaddy.com/forsale/

•••
LTO inside registrars afternic partners would be nice

•••
Sometimes, afternic fast transfer authorization approvals are lost in cyberspace. In other words, domain approved on registrar end may never be shown as fast transfer on afternic end. Why? I do not know. The issue is less frequent with some registrars (never saw this @ porkbun for example), and happens more frequently with other registrars (namesilo for example). While each particular case can be solved by contacting afternic support and/or registrar support, and I do not have any pending cases right now, the following would be appreciated:

1. Afternic should find the root cause of the problem [afternic-registrar api?].

2. Afternic should provide an opportunity to resend fast transfer authorizations right from our control panel.

3. An opportunity to manage fast transfer listings (show/remove) should be offered by all participating registrars. At this time, not all registrars support it.
Our platform team will be informed. If anyone experiences the issue mentioned here, please DM us so we can track it.

Are you aware your "for sale" page hasn't been resolving for a while.

Or am I the only one experiencing it ?

Insert a domain name at the end of the link below and see for yourself

http://godaddy.com/forsale/
We've found no issues during testing. Please DM us if you can provide more information. Thank you!

•••
That URL is notoriously broken as it doesn't even filter out invalid domains. For example.

•••
Although they have already been approved, many domains become 'pending review' every time I upload the spreadsheet with the reconcile option. It takes days to find a solution on the issue.

Despite asking repeatedly why this is happening and how I can prevent it, I get no response.

---

For domain names with .group extension that are actively listed with ns3/ns4 DNS, only the text "give us a call" is displayed instead of the application form.

---

When will Afternic's new interface be fully completed?

•••
The biggest most important and easiest issue to fix by Afternic is the following one(and I have reported it multiple times directly and via NP):

- Afternic landers don't resolve if a domain is entered or clicked via https.

It is hard to estimate and depends, of course, on the backlink profile, but probably 10-20% of sales are lost simply because the potential buyer sees an empty page when using https. For me personally, this means 5 to 6 figure loss every year, to Afternic this is probably 8 figure annual loss.

It is mind boggling that after so many years since Google pretty much has "outlawed" http protocol, GD still not only is stuck with http, but can't even make https work.

Until this huge impact issue is resolved, I don't believe Afternic/GD is genuinely interested in collecting any actionable feedback.

Last edited:
•••
The biggest most important and easiest issue to fix by Afternic is the following one(and I have reported it multiple times directly and via NP):

- Afternic landers don't resolve if a domain is entered or clicked via https.

It is hard to estimate and depends, of course, on the backlink profile, but probably 10-20% of sales are lost simply because the potential buyer sees an empty page when using https. For me personally, this means 5 to 6 figure loss every year, to Afternic this is probably 8 figure annual loss.

It is mind boggling that after so many years since Google pretty much has "outlawed" http protocol, GD still not only is stuck with http, but can't even make https work.

Until this huge impact issue is resolved, I don't believe Afternic/GD is genuinely interested in collecting any actionable feedback.

Not defending this lack of SSL, however Uni Market domains don't use SSL either.

On the other hand, Dan.com listings do! And this speaks volumes about the modern approach Dan.com took across the board.

IMO, Afternic should be completely retired and Dan.com should be rebranded as the new "Afternic 2.0."

•••
Not defending this lack of SSL, however Uni Market domains don't use SSL either.

On the other hand, Dan.com listings do! And this speaks volumes about the modern approach Dan.com took across the board.

IMO, Afternic should be completely retired and Dan.com should be rebranded as the new "Afternic 2.0."

I disagree with that. Afternic is way better at converting than Dan. I am not discussing reasons, just stating the results of testing.

So, basically, even if Dan would get 10-20% more visits/leads (assuming they are proportionate), if they convert 50% less than Afternic, Afternic is still a better option.

Now, of course, Afternic has a lot to improve and build upon. SSL issue is one big untapped potential and easy fix, but someone in GD/Afternic management in charge of the technical aspects has been grossly unprofessional and negligent to realize and implement a fix.

Other two big areas are a) improving Afternic's own site, its appeal and useability; b) allowing inserting Google Analytics code. As of now, not only I have to give my traffic to Afternic to get the favorable commission, but I am entirely giving up on the wealth of information I could use for improving my portfolio and make other important decisions.

All of the three "changes" are easy and straightforward and shouldn't cost more than $100k for potential upside of millions or tens of millions a year.

•••
One more observation: not sure what is happening and if the latest round of firing at GD/Afternic is to blame, but the conversion of offers have gone drastically down the hill.

When now I get the email from the broker stating they have "firmed up the offer", I know it is a joke. Even few months back "firm" meant "firm" at least by 80%. Now it is no more than 20%.

•••
I disagree with that. Afternic is way better at converting than Dan. I am not discussing reasons, just stating the results of testing.

So, basically, even if Dan would get 10-20% more visits/leads (assuming they are proportionate), if they convert 50% less than Afternic, Afternic is still a better option.

Now, of course, Afternic has a lot to improve and build upon. SSL issue is one big untapped potential and easy fix, but someone in GD/Afternic management in charge of the technical aspects has been grossly unprofessional and negligent to realize and implement a fix.

Other two big areas are a) improving Afternic's own site, its appeal and useability; b) allowing inserting Google Analytics code. As of now, not only I have to give my traffic to Afternic to get the favorable commission, but I am entirely giving up on the wealth of information I could use for improving my portfolio and make other important decisions.

All of the three "changes" are easy and straightforward and shouldn't cost more than $100k for potential upside of millions or tens of millions a year.

Obviously, I'm not suggesting they shut down Afternic without switching on its features on Dan.com. Afternic only performs well due to its DNS structure and being a destination for the inquiries via GoDaddy.com.

What I am suggesting is to stop trying to fix the obsolete code at Afternic and switch to Dan as the primary platform for handling what Afternic does now. There is no proof that there will ever be an improved Afternic that interfaces well with new technologies and flow of transactions.

•••
near to no support these days

•••
Obviously, I'm not suggesting they shut down Afternic without switching on its features on Dan.com. Afternic only performs well due to its DNS structure and being a destination for the inquiries via GoDaddy.com.

What I am suggesting is to stop trying to fix the obsolete code at Afternic and switch to Dan as the primary platform for handling what Afternic does now. There is no proof that there will ever be an improved Afternic that interfaces well with new technologies and flow of transactions.

This is not about inquiries from godaddy.

I have compared landers to landers and Afternic is way better. No need to switch. Just fix the obvious.

•••
Which landers? The ones that can't be customized at Afternic? Or the ones with ads that get blocked by certain antivirus as phishing/scam?

Let's not lie to ourselves, Afternic performs only because GoDaddy sends its domain searches to it. The process is antiquated and the issues are listed repeatedly without a proper resolution.

But Dan won't be its saving grace unless those who are keeping the dinosaur alive are retired as well.

•••
Which landers? The ones that can't be customized at Afternic? Or the ones with ads that get blocked by certain antivirus as phishing/scam?

Let's not lie to ourselves, Afternic performs only because GoDaddy sends its domain searches to it. The process is antiquated and the issues are listed repeatedly without a proper resolution.

But Dan won't be its saving grace unless those who are keeping the dinosaur alive are retired as well.

I tested Dan landers vs ns3 and ns5.

Each basket had 6000 names. All were listed at Afternic fast transfer.

Dan lost handily. So tell me how exactly did Gd send traffic to the lander?

If you mean search pathway at registrars, then those also counted for Dan in case name sold from its basket. AND DAN STILL LOST.

•••
I won't be able to convince you to stop using Afternic. If I had 6k domains (I do not) I would be looking at other options. Curious how you gauge performance in sales when the same result can't be replicated once you sell the domain on either platform. Offers volume? Or sales volume across different timelines, that again skew the results?

Afternic was made to make quick money for GD by completing (generally) undersold domain transactions. They kept a whopping 20% for years, so the current drop to 15% is the only real discount from the Dan/Uni price-jacking.

•••
I won't be able to convince you to stop using Afternic. If I had 6k domains (I do not) I would be looking at other options. Curious how you gauge performance in sales when the same result can't be replicated once you sell the domain on either platform. Offers volume? Or sales volume across different timelines, that again skew the results?

Afternic was made to make quick money for GD by completing (generally) undersold domain transactions. They kept a whopping 20% for years, so the current drop to 15% is the only real discount from the Dan/Uni price-jacking.

For me, it is purely business, so I avoid that kind of rhetoric.

Now, if you had 6k why would you be looking at other options and which ones? Any science, tests, or even hypothesis to support this?

Now about gauging. Here is how:

I had around 18000 domains at the time. I RANDOMLY split them into 3 equal baskets of A/B/C and assigned them to Dan/Ns3/Ns5. All the names were at Afternic FT, so no additional advantage for any basket. All the difference in sales would come due to the effects of the landing page, as that was the only difference.

I was planning to run it for 6 months, but after one month the results were so lopsided that I stopped it.

NS3 was the winner and Dan did the worst. Again, the afternic sales were also counting for Dan if it happened for a name from Dan basket.

Btw, prior to experiment, I had my names with Dan landers for 5 months because so many people were saying that Dan is doing fine, especially factoring in 9%, plus I was getting stats that AN fails to provide. In those 5 months, my sales went down and I probably lost around $60k and that actually prompted me to do my own test.

•••
The "rhetoric" exists because the majority of domain investors want options to sell their domains at max value and the numbers that Afternic cooked up after the fee increases at Dan/Uni don't reflect that.

Do whatever works best for you, I will not be touching Afternic with a 10ft pole until they fix their broken code. My sales take time to maximize and I certainly don't have 18k domains to renew or sell.

•••
I tested Dan landers vs ns3 and ns5.

Each basket had 6000 names. All were listed at Afternic fast transfer.

Dan lost handily. So tell me how exactly did Gd send traffic to the lander?

If you mean search pathway at registrars, then those also counted for Dan in case name sold from its basket. AND DAN STILL LOST.
How did you know if your sales comes from landers or afternic partners ?

•••
How did you know if your sales comes from landers or afternic partners ?

Incremental attribution.

If all names are listed with Afternic and its partners, and the only difference is the landers, then the delta in sales should be attributed to the efficiency of the lander.

•••
Back