NameSilo

Afternic does not want to return my money

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Conexur

Established Member
Impact
Hello everyone, first of all I am very sorry to start my first post by making this complaint, I am a Spanish-speaking domainer and I usually use forums in Spanish like Demene.

I would like to leave my story here because I have already exhausted all the resources I had at my disposal, I hope not to disturb you.

A matter of 4 months ago I was interested in a domain listed in Afternic, I hit the buy button, then I sent the money to the bank account of this company and it arrived without problems the next day, but later, the owner of the domain said that it has no more the domain name in his possession, so the transaction did not go through; I kindly asked Afternic to return me the money I had sent and they began to put excuses and obstacles: to fill in the bank details on their website, then to send them by email, they never respond, I sent more than a dozen emails, I called 4 times by phone and they did not solve my problem and now they came up with the story that my bank has to write them a letter (letterhead), something incredible ...

Anyway, I'm already tired of this, it's not a lot of money, it's 2,000 USD but it doesn't seem right that they don't give it back to me, where can I report them?

Thanks very much for your help!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well you can control what the screenshot looks like.

That is exactly why a screenshot is meaningless, or worse. Using the basic web tools built into your browser you can edit a web page in seconds before you take the screenshot, so it says whatever you want.

And if you don't edit it, it is a security risk for you and the recipient can't trust it anyway as they know, or should know, it can be faked.

Often to verify an account a random small amount is sent, or charged, and the sender then asks to know the amount or reference number to verify that the recipient really controls that account.

If a sale does not go through and it is not the buyer's fault, Afternic should just promptly refund the funds they received, and they should cover all wire and other transfer costs in both directions. To cover this, they can bill the failed seller - for example, Sedo's ToS let them bill a failed seller a % of the value of the lost sale. If you buy from a website and they can't supply the product, they don't just go ahead and bill you for shipping when they do the purchase refund.

And it would be nice if Afternic's concerns about security extended to them actually implementing 2FA after years of requests from users: https://www.namepros.com/threads/problems-bugs-and-fixes-at-afternic-report-problems-here.1006373/

Last edited:
•••
A refund does not require all these complications! If the payment was done by card then they can refund to that card, if it was done by wire transfer then they can refund to the sender bank account.. etc.

This is very bad user experience @Joe Styler please have a look

•••
Please send me a pm with the domain name so I can look into it for you.

•••
•••
Update:

I have sent a letter from my bank and received a reply.

"Hello,
Thank you for the information. I have submitted the paperwork to accounting for a refund, please allow 7-14 days.
Regards,
Andy H"

•••
Update:

"Hello,
Thank you for the information. I have submitted the paperwork to accounting for a refund, please allow 7-14 days.
Regards,
Andy H"

I guess they will send the refund by their horse carriage company Wild West Domains...

•••
Update:

"Hello,
Regards,
Andy H"
So, after 4 months of waiting , you still need to wait 7-14 days(probably 14) for your own money, because of a fault of their own...that's a great service for 2011, we are waiting for them to catch up with the new way of doing things in the next 10 years.

•••
Update:

Well, after the help of @Joe Styler and a "doubtful" bank letter finally I was recovered my money!

Thanks all for your help and if you have a similar problem I can help you with my experience with this trouble.

Unfortunately, Afternic is not the right place to make serious business but at least they don't steal my money after all.

Thanks

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back