IT.COM

Afternic does not want to return my money

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Conexur

Established Member
Impact
Hello everyone, first of all I am very sorry to start my first post by making this complaint, I am a Spanish-speaking domainer and I usually use forums in Spanish like Demene.

I would like to leave my story here because I have already exhausted all the resources I had at my disposal, I hope not to disturb you.

A matter of 4 months ago I was interested in a domain listed in Afternic, I hit the buy button, then I sent the money to the bank account of this company and it arrived without problems the next day, but later, the owner of the domain said that it has no more the domain name in his possession, so the transaction did not go through; I kindly asked Afternic to return me the money I had sent and they began to put excuses and obstacles: to fill in the bank details on their website, then to send them by email, they never respond, I sent more than a dozen emails, I called 4 times by phone and they did not solve my problem and now they came up with the story that my bank has to write them a letter (letterhead), something incredible ...

Anyway, I'm already tired of this, it's not a lot of money, it's 2,000 USD but it doesn't seem right that they don't give it back to me, where can I report them?

Thanks very much for your help!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Last edited:
•••
Include proof of your communication with them

•••
•••
Hello everyone, first of all I am very sorry to start my first post by making this complaint, I am a Spanish-speaking domainer and I usually use forums in Spanish like Demene.

I would like to leave my story here because I have already exhausted all the resources I had at my disposal, I hope not to disturb you.

A matter of 4 months ago I was interested in a domain listed in Afternic, I hit the buy button, then I sent the money to the bank account of this company and it arrived without problems the next day, but later, the owner of the domain said that it has no more the domain name in his possession, so the transaction did not go through; I kindly asked Afternic to return me the money I had sent and they began to put excuses and obstacles: to fill in the bank details on their website, then to send them by email, they never respond, I sent more than a dozen emails, I called 4 times by phone and they did not solve my problem and now they came up with the story that my bank has to write them a letter (letterhead), something incredible ...

Anyway, I'm already tired of this, it's not a lot of money, it's 2,000 USD but it doesn't seem right that they don't give it back to me, where can I report them?

This situation is outrageous, I hope they quickly resolve such unfair withholding of money

•••
First contact after purchase fail:

Last edited:
•••
Tons of such obsolete listings in their inventory...
Like these lazy domainers/registrants - Afternic doesn't care about it at all.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Always recheck WHOIS...
A lot of their listings are even available for registration at regfee...

•••
I agree, but here the main problem is that this company don't want to return my money back after they failure.

•••
•••
They are owned by GoDaddy...
So your refund - just question of time and nerves...

•••
It shouldn't be this complicated to receive a refund. Imagine if you bought a shirt online, didn't receive it, and then would have to fill out a "default payment method" and tax forms... Ridiculous.

Last edited:
•••
One of the last emails sound more like a nigerian scam:

•••
Personally I have never had an issue once default payment was set. I set my bank account as default and sometimes had to call in to support to remind them to do it but generally it happened right after that.

If I were to guess I would say paypal is probably the holdup, nobody really thinks that is a secure payment anymore and there are fees involves that would not have incurred on your original transfer.

If I was you I would have set my bank account as the default for refunds and payments, that always goes smooth.

I am just guessing on all of this but it makes sense that funds wired in and then paid back via paypal might receive some scrutiny.

•••
Personally I have never had an issue once default payment was set. I set my bank account as default and sometimes had to call in to support to remind them to do it but generally it happened right after that.

If I were to guess I would say paypal is probably the holdup, nobody really thinks that is a secure payment anymore and there are fees involves that would not have incurred on your original transfer.

If I was you I would have set my bank account as the default for refunds and payments, that always goes smooth.

I am just guessing on all of this but it makes sense that funds wired in and then paid back via paypal might receive some scrutiny.
Thanks, but I already set bank as default months ago, then they said I need a letterhead from my bank...
It was very easy to send money, now it's very hard to recover it.

•••
HOLEE COW you paid $2,000 for a dot. info domain? :xf.eek:

•••
•••
I hope they return your money as soon as possible!!

•••
I stopped using Afternic a while ago as I was tired of messaging them every single time to remove the domain names listed at afternic by previous owners. There are still many domains names listed on afternic which I own but are listed by previous owners. I wont use them unless they innovate.

•••
I stopped using Afternic a while ago as I was tired of messaging them every single time to remove the domain names listed at afternic by previous owners. There are still many domains names listed on afternic which I own but are listed by previous owners. I wont use them unless they innovate.
I had the same issue with Afternic...a domain was listed and it was removed after 15 days of hassle with the registrar and Afternic. they are very slow in responding to emails.

They are owned by GoDaddy...
So your refund - just question of time and nerves...
BTW, I never had any problem with a refund from godaddy can't say much about Afternic. I opted for a refund through their Customer chat feature and they were fast to refund $$$ to my bank account within 3-5 days.

@Conexur I would suggest you contact Godaddy through Customer chat support. Surely you can get a fast reply there. Make sure you use the same account with godaddy & afternic :)

Last edited:
•••
Just log into your bank account, take a screenshot with the windows key + printscreen key, and then upload it at afternic..

Last edited:
•••
Just log into your bank account, take a screenshot with the windows key + printscreen key, and then upload it at afternic..

Thanks but I don't want to share my bank account data to any company, I mean, no private data like how much money I have, movements, etc. That's ridiculous, they don't need this kind of information to return my money, is not money from parking revenue or from any domain sale, is the same money I sent they for a deal that don't work because their incompetence.

Last edited:
•••
that's true, it does suck. Well you can control what the screenshot looks like. Don't say how much cash you have, just the screen with the account details or something.. the minimum info.. maybe use a side account that you don't need .. either that or they're keeping your cash, take your pick

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back