Dynadot

Suspended on Afternic and support does not want to re-enable my account

NameSilo
Watch

tvanrijt

Top Member
Impact
Hey all,

I have been suspended at Afternic for selling a domain name I did not own anymore. I get that this is my fault. I dropped a name and forgot to delist it from Afternic.

However, after contacting support they said they will not re-enable my account because I violated the rules. That seems a bit harsh to me, but whatever. I thought: I will just list my domains at Dan.com and not really get bothered with it.

However, now I realize this also impacts my possibilities in acquiring new names, as I cannot purchase names on afternic or even browse all names properly.

I do realize this was all caused by a mistake on my part. I acknowledge the mistake, but I feel this could always happen and the permaban seems a bit strict to me.

Has any of you had this happen to you? And what did you do? Is there a way to still be able to buy from Afternic? I am not really interested in selling anymore as Dan.com provides a very good alternative which I am happy with.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Joe Styler Maybe Joe can look into the matter and reach the proper people if something can be done about it. It seems like an honest mistake, to be permanently banned for a first time mistake I do see it as a bit too harsh..

I've had buyers on Godaddy and Afternic agree to deals and not pay , doubt they were permanently banned

•••
Never have a BIN at more than one marketplace at a time.

The BIN priced domains are the ones you must be careful about deleting immediately if sold elsewhere.

The rest - yes important to delete too once sold but you’re not going to get caught in the midst of an auto transfer with those that you can’t follow through on. At worst you’ll receive an inquiry or offer and may delete it quickly then.

Last edited:
•••
I don't think this is a bin more than one place situation.. (unless I'm in the wrong here)

It's an expired name that he forgot to remove

•••
Last edited:
•••
The point is, he wants his Afternic account re-instated as he mentioned.. let's not get off-track

•••
I don't think this is a bin more than one place situation.. (unless I'm in the wrong here)

It's an expired name that he forgot to remove

The name sold. There is no automated sale process at Afternic other than for BIN so it must’ve been a BIN situation.

•••
yes a Bin situation, but it doesn't mean it was Bin on multiple platforms as you stated... it can be many situations.. maybe you had a BIN, and the name expired, but you forgot to renew, but the system hadn't put the name "in review" and someone clicked buy now

•••
This is happened to me last week, someone hit BIN on one of my names but it had expired ( grabbed by someone in China)

I sent them a message via the contact agent form explaining the situation, 2 days later they sent me an email advising it had been cancelled and to check the rest of my names that I had listed ( which I did and found 2 more that I have deleted)

I have not been banned, seems a bit harsh unless you are a repeat offender or there is anymore to the story?

•••
All that matters is he had a BIN at Afternic for a name he sold elsewhere.

My post about not having a BIN more than one place was more informational and general than anything else.

But as I also said above: The BIN priced domains are the ones you must be careful about deleting immediately if sold elsewhere.
which Does apply to his situation.

Last edited:
•••
with that argument, you're basically saying don't have BIN's anywhere... as in the situation when you have a BIN only on Afternic for example, name expires, you forget to remove, the Afternic system doesn't put it "in review" and someone clicks bin.. you're back in the same situation.

The thing is to methodically remove expired domains. Or at least after 15 days of expiry or wait at least until the last days you have access to them.

Last edited:
•••
While I wish there were fewer domains left on Afternic after they are no longer owned, I totally agree that a lifetime ban seems way too harsh. I only have less than 150 on Afternic, and 5 times I encountered the situation that someone else had left the name listed after I owned it. If that is typical, it appears that the marketplaces have lots of cases of no longer owned domains still listed (and I have encountered similar issues on other marketplaces).

I agree with @xynames that the real issue are BIN names as someone is expecting they have instantly bought them, and Afternic have an angry customer plus payment/refund charges to deal with.

I would think some modest fine for the first time letting it happen, and maybe a ban after several occurrences, might be reasonable.

I hope it gets resolved.

Bob

•••
Every single day when I register names,it's already listed, I have probably about 50- 100 emails that I've sent to Afternic to remove names all the time... The afternic system should auto-check the expiry and remove the listing on its own after let's say 15 days of expiry or something...

•••
Imagine bulk importing your domains then finding out months later it was a complete waste of time as linked to another persons account, losing traffic and potentially parking earnings.

Yes, the platforms should do more about it but ultimately you are responsible. Why should I have to email the platform customer service to ask you to remove the listings, I'm not your mother.

•••
with that argument, you're basically saying don't have BIN's anywhere... as in the situation when you have a BIN only on Afternic for example, name expires, you forget to remove, the Afternic system doesn't put it "in review" and someone clicks bin.. you're back in the same situation.
Okay you’re getting lost in your own train of thought not mine. You lost me.

This is what I said: The BIN priced domains are the ones you must be careful about deleting immediately if sold elsewhere.

•••
I wish more marketplaces would ban domainers that don't keep their names up to date. I'm tired of going through hurdles to list names newly bought because the old owner never delisted. And worse, in the midlde of a negotiation have a buy bring up some low price he found for the domain on some marketplace that I never listed at.

•••
The thing is, who said it was sold anywhere else to begin with before that point in time where someone clicked BIN on Afternic...................................................

This is an issue of removing the expired names from his listings...

•••
All that matters is he had a BIN at Afternic for a name he sold elsewhere.

My post about not having a BIN more than one place was more informational and general than anything else.

But as I also said above: The BIN priced domains are the ones you must be careful about deleting immediately if sold elsewhere.
which Does apply to his situation.

This is not true. I had a name on Afternic, was not really active there, the name dropped (I did not renew on purpose) and was regged by somebody else. I forgot I had that name on Afternic and it was sold. However, in the meantime it was regged by someone else.

I have not had multiple BINs for that or any other names.

•••
I wish more marketplaces would ban domainers that don't keep their names up to date. I'm tired of going through hurdles to list names newly bought because the old owner never delisted. And worse, in the midlde of a negotiation have a buy bring up some low price he found for the domain on some marketplace that I never listed at.

I completely agree here and I acknowledge it is my own mistake. However, if I was banner for, let's say, a month, that would be no problem at all and well deserved. It seems I am perma-banned and ask if others have had similar experiences.

Since @MrAcidic has had a similar experience and was not perma-banned, I have looked into the start of my domain adventures and see if something similar has happened before and I am labelled as a repeat-offender. However, I cannot find another usecase where there were any problems with a sale.

•••
Is there any possibility by reaching out to who has the name now, see if they are open to selling it at the price the buyer tried to buy it at, hopefully with a bit of a fee to you but even if not to get you out of the problems with Afternic? I realize may well be too late for that now.

•••
I completely agree here and I acknowledge it is my own mistake. However, if I was banner for, let's say, a month, that would be no problem at all and well deserved. It seems I am perma-banned and ask if others have had similar experiences.

Since @MrAcidic has had a similar experience and was not perma-banned, I have looked into the start of my domain adventures and see if something similar has happened before and I am labelled as a repeat-offender. However, I cannot find another usecase where there were any problems with a sale.
Mistakes happen, it's part of life.

Hopefully @Joe Styler reads this thread sees what happened to me and you and comes to the conclusion that you cant have different rules for the same offence....

Meaning you are reinstated or I'm permanently banned as well....:xf.smile:

•••
I encountered the same issue few months ago. I got a congratulatory mail about the sale of a domain I lost hope on it's sale and allowed it to drop.

I immediately contacted them about the issue. They still suspended my account, but after explaining to them, my account was reinstated.

Try to be polite in your communication.

•••
Hey all,

I have been suspended at Afternic for selling a domain name I did not own anymore. I get that this is my fault. I dropped a name and forgot to delist it from Afternic.

However, after contacting support they said they will not re-enable my account because I violated the rules. That seems a bit harsh to me, but whatever. I thought: I will just list my domains at Dan.com and not really get bothered with it.

However, now I realize this also impacts my possibilities in acquiring new names, as I cannot purchase names on afternic or even browse all names properly.

I do realize this was all caused by a mistake on my part. I acknowledge the mistake, but I feel this could always happen and the permaban seems a bit strict to me.

Has any of you had this happen to you? And what did you do? Is there a way to still be able to buy from Afternic? I am not really interested in selling anymore as Dan.com provides a very good alternative which I am happy with.
If you pm me your username I will look into it more.

•••
This is not true. I had a name on Afternic, was not really active there, the name dropped (I did not renew on purpose) and was regged by somebody else. I forgot I had that name on Afternic and it was sold. However, in the meantime it was regged by someone else.

I have not had multiple BINs for that or any other names.

I didn’t say you had multiple BINs I suggested that one should not do that.

However, on Afternic a domain may not sell unless you had a price set on it which means ... a BIN.

Which is why I said and still say
The BIN priced domains are the ones you must be careful about deleting immediately if sold elsewhere. Sold elsewhere or lost by you expired whatever - must delete immediately.
Make sense?

You said the domain sold on Afternic. How did it sell without your having a price set on Afternic for it?

You could have a hundred expired domains on Afternic / a hundred domains you don’t even own listed on Afternic wouldn’t even necessarily become an issue such as you describe unless one was sold on Afternic.

You must’ve had a price set / BIN on Afternic for the domain that you no longer owned.

Anyway my suggestions are for the future and for others: remove any domains you no longer own from any marketplace listings, especially quickly if such domains are still up anywhere with a BIN.

Your potential solution is to talk to Joe Styler etc but trying to claim that you had no sales price set on the domain at Afternic isn’t going to help your case.

Last edited:
•••
Afternic listing requires a BIN. The challenge is to constantly review account which am not so good at.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back