IT.COM

Advice regarding quick sale on Sedo.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Camvard

Established Member
Impact
We all know that sedo.com is giving maximum sales to our domain names. Recently I bought domain name FACES.ME that was last sold for $2,000 on 2013-05-15 at Sedo (R. Namebio data)
Now I want to sell this same name at equal or more price on sedo.
Kindly advice me as I am new on sedo.com. How can I sell it there again ?
Is just listing there enough?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just list it see what happens. I’m not closely familiar with that .me extension but I suspect that 2013 was better times for it not sure if it’ll sell for that price again today.

•••
We all know that sedo.com is giving maximum sales to our domain names. Recently I bought domain name FACES.ME that was last sold for $2,000 on 2013-05-15 at Sedo (R. Namebio data)

Sedo is not magic, and they don't sell your name. When a name gets sold at Sedo it's because someone did a search there, or you have the domain parked there. Sedo only sells a domain when it's a premium (the real definition of premium) name and a broker like Dave Evanson or his colleagues actively market it.

What @xynames said was spot on that time was much better for .me.

So you can list the name at Sedo along with the other 11 million names there but that's all you are doing is listing it. You are either going to have to find a buyer or hope one comes along. Understand you pay commission and it depends on how someone finds your name there, parked and the buyer followed the parked page link is 10%, searching on Sedo 15%, Sedo MLS 20%. Best of luck.

•••
2013 was better times for it not sure if it’ll sell for that price again today.

I agree.

some domains' past sales prices, wouldn't garner same amount or more, if sold again today.

the competition of other new extensions being released since .me in 2008 have affected demand/choices.
still, there is activity in .me space, soooooo…..

Good Luck!

imo...

•••

we all wished it worked like this...but past sales especially in non com extensions mean very little or nothing...to prices a name may sell for today..

all in all...domain flipping is basically the exact opposite of what u call "quick"

gl

Last edited:
•••
I just dropped a .com
that sold at $5K USD before

that doesn't mean its valuable at all

We all know that sedo.com is giving maximum sales to our domain names

that I didn't know

•••
I think this brilliant quote from @alcy should be featured in every thread in the Beginner section, just so newcomers are realistic!

all in all...domain flipping is basically the exact opposite of what u call "quick"

If you plan to get a good price for the vast majority of domain names you must have the patience to not panic or get frustrated, the persistence to use multiple venues/ways to try to reach end users, and the confidence to get the price that the domain is worth (but not unrealistic expectations to try to get more than it is worth). Easy flipping? No! The fact that occasionally a name flips for a big profit quickly must be interpreted along with the huge number that don't.

Last edited:
•••
Just list it see what happens. I’m not closely familiar with that .me extension but I suspect that 2013 was better times for it not sure if it’ll sell for that price again today.
Ok...Thanks for the information :)

•••
I don't sense that .me is going up or down all that much. If you look at NameBio, the average for the past 5 years has 174 sales per year, while the last 12 months has 134 sales. In terms of price, the average for last 5 years is $1196 while the average for last year is $868. So both slightly down, but not that statistically significant. Good luck with it @Camvard !

Bob

ps I might also add as perspective that 17 of the 134 sales of .me in the last year were for $2000 or more. You can see the list here: https://namebio.com/?s==cTO1ITNxkTM

Last edited:
•••
Sedo is not magic, and they don't sell your name. When a name gets sold at Sedo it's because someone did a search there, or you have the domain parked there. Sedo only sells a domain when it's a premium (the real definition of premium) name and a broker like Dave Evanson or his colleagues actively market it.

What @xynames said was spot on that time was much better for .me.

So you can list the name at Sedo along with the other 11 million names there but that's all you are doing is listing it. You are either going to have to find a buyer or hope one comes along. Understand you pay commission and it depends on how someone finds your name there, parked and the buyer followed the parked page link is 10%, searching on Sedo 15%, Sedo MLS 20%. Best of luck.

Thanks for providing very useful information Sir. I do want to list all of my 165 domains as SEDO MLS premium service. But as they are all registered with Godaddy, so I am getting this status for all of my domains "Sedo MLS Basic Active. Registrar not yet supporting all sedo MLS Premium functions".

Kindly tell me, shall I list my domains as Sedo MLS Premium while using Godaddy as my registrar?

•••
I think this brilliant quote from @alcy should be featured in every thread in the Beginner section, just so newcomers are realistic!

If you plan to get a good price for the vast majority of domain names you must have the patience to not panic or get frustrated, the persistence to use multiple venues/ways to try to reach end users, and the confidence to get the price that the domain is worth (but not unrealistic expectations to try to get more than it is worth). Easy flipping? No! The fact that occasionally a name flips for a big profit quickly must be interpreted along with the huge number that don't.
Thanks sir for your guidance :)

•••
GoDadddy is not their Sedo MLS Premium registrar. So You could not list them for fast transfer in sedo. You could list them in afternic.

•••
If you scroll partly down this page, and then in left column, they show the Sedo MLS Registrar partners. As I understand it your domains would need to be registered with one of those. For example Dynadot, Epik, Name.com, NameSilo and a couple off dozen others are listed.

https://sedo.com/us/sell-domains/promotion-options/

You may also want to consider which registrar partners are also in the Afternic premium network registrars, if you are wanting to get maximum exposure for your domain names and are considering transferring registrar to do that.

Of course GoDaddy is the most recognized registrar name in North America, so there are advantages to staying there as well (and they are part of Afternic netowrk).

Bob

•••
Thanks for providing very useful information Sir. I do want to list all of my 165 domains as SEDO MLS premium service. But as they are all registered with Godaddy, so I am getting this status for all of my domains "Sedo MLS Basic Active. Registrar not yet supporting all sedo MLS Premium functions".

Kindly tell me, shall I list my domains as Sedo MLS Premium while using Godaddy as my registrar?

That's correct GoDaddy is not an MLS partner, they are a competitor with their onw Afternic website.

•••
I don't sense that .me is going up or down all that much. If you look at NameBio, the average for the past 5 years has 174 sales per year, while the last 12 months has 134 sales. In terms of price, the average for last 5 years is $1196 while the average for last year is $868. So both slightly down, but not that statistically significant. Good luck with it @Camvard !

Bob

ps I might also add as perspective that 17 of the 134 sales of .me in the last year were for $2000 or more. You can see the list here: https://namebio.com/?s==cTO1ITNxkTM

Hi Bob,

Using your figures, last year's sales were 77% of the 5 year average you mention.

The average sales price is 72% of the 5 year average.

That seems statistically significant to me, however I am here to learn from others so what type of drop would you need to see to find it significant?

Thanks

•••
We all know that sedo.com is giving maximum sales to our domain names.
That's news to me so please edit your post to "Everyone except DrJacoby know..."

•••
Hi Bob,

Using your figures, last year's sales were 77% of the 5 year average you mention.

That seems statistically significant to me, however I am here to learn from others so what type of drop would you need to see to find it significant?

Thanks

Hi,

I am off to my volunteer 'job' for the rest of the day but will tonight give the detailed answer that your good question deserves. If I had to bet one way or the another I would think that probably sales numbers and prices are dropping. Note that I said "not that statistically significant" rather and "not statistically significant."

With the number of sales involved while they suggest marginal statistical significance, I think they also leave open the possibility the difference is a random fluctuation or a result of which venues are reporting over time or other systematic biases. Had there been the same 20 or 25% fall in say a sample with 20,000 .com sales or something like that, it would be significant. So it is the fact that it is a 28% fall but based on only 134 sales in the last 12 months.

A more mathematically complete answer tonight, for those interested :xf.sick:

Bob

•••
I agree with the above, .me has had better days.

There are fashions in the domain industry, some extension may enjoy temporary popularity, then others step into the spotlight pushing their elders aside.
For the same reason, I think .io .ai etc are fads that won't last forever. They could certainly get less popular.

Also the OP says the name previously sold for 2K a few years ago. But that doesn't the name will ever sell again, even at a lower price. Many sales are one of a kind and subject to unique circumstances that are unlikely to repeat.
I think that picking a domain name for the sole reason that it has sold once in the past is not a sufficient criterion. How to sell that domain quick - I am out of ideas. Ultimately there has to be a buyer who has the vision and see the purpose for this name.
How would this domain be used ? For a social network or something else ? Why would they want this name rather than the many alternatives available on the market etc.

•••
A good question was asked about why I said that this might not be that statistically significant (note not saying not statistically significant, but not that significant). I explain my reasoning below the quote, but if to any who hate math, you might just want to ignore my post :wideyed:.

Hi Bob,

Thanks

So let's start with the data for sales of .me domain names. NameBio nicely compute for us both the mean (average) and standard deviation data. Here are the values:
Last 12 months: 134 sales $868 average price StDev=$1399
Last 5 years: 870 sales $1196 average price StDev=$2359

The fact the standard deviations are so high compared to average is simply telling us that while most of the sales are for lowish prices, there are some high ones, so a lot of scatter.

To compare two mean values for whether they are statistically different we use something called the Standard Deviation Of the Mean (SDOM). It is obtained by taking the standard deviation which NameBio gave us and dividing by the square root of the number of observations that went into computation of that mean. For the last year period, that gives us $1399/11.2 = $121.
For the 5 year period you might think we would use the average number per year (174) but really the average is based on the total number for the 5 years, so we use the square root of the 870. When we do this we get a SDOM of $80.

No domain price data is certainly normally distributed in the statistical sense, but as a first approximation and lacking any better assumption, we will assume that it is. A commonly used significance test is that corresponding to about 95% likelihood (19 times out of 20 often see terminology in poll results). For this the one year price will be between $868 (+/-) (2*121) or in other words we have about 95% chance that the actual value is between $626 and $1110.
Now looking at the 5 yr example, we have about a 95% chance that the actual value is between $1036 and $1356 (obtained from the 5 yr average and +/-2 times the $80 SDOM for this group).

Now the critical thing is that the ranges overlap, i.e. the lowest possibility for the higher 5 yr average is lower than the higher possibility for the one year data. This tells us that while it may well be true that .me sales prices are going down, it is to me not very statistically proven.

We could do something sort of similar with the number of sales. Here we often take the square root of a number as indicative of the uncertainty - i.e. 100 would be uncertain by 10, or 10% while 400 would be uncertain by 20 or 5%. If we do that here the 134 per year over the last year is probably between about 111 and 157. If we just take the 174 as the number per year it suggests it could be tween about 148 and 200 roughly. Near to significance but not quite. Really the way I treated the 5 yr over estimates uncertainty so it is almost on edge of significance.

We can convince ourselves that there is quite a bit of uncertainty by looking at the data. For example in the last 12 months there are 134 sales. If I eliminate just 7, the highest value 7, about 1/3 of the entire dollar volume is gone.

But even if the above had supported marginal statistical significance we should be careful of systematic biases in the data. Let me indicate a couple.
(a) Which venues report to NameBio has changed over the years. For example in the early part of the 5 yr period Afternic reported, but now they do not. Sure enough in the early years of the 5 yr period there are 10 .me sales on Afternic and they are all between $1000 and $3500 per sale, and all are in the first 2.5 yr of the 5 year period. I am not sure why by Dynadot are not in the early period, but they certainly are recently. There are 18 Dynadot sales of .me all in the last year and a half and only one of which is as much as $1000 (supposedly because much more domainer to domainer on that platform).
(b) Even if we did not have the issues of biases introduced by different venues in different years, we might have the situation that the average price is going down with time but that is just because the best names were all sold early on, and similar names are actually going up in price. In the overall .com I am pretty sure this is happening, maybe not with .me but it is at least a possibility.

One way to check (a) is to look at only sales data from a venue that has reported throughout the sales period and that is mainly retail sales. Sedo is the best option. They do seem to support .me going down in price as the 5 year average is $3026 and the one year is $2550 although if you use the SDOM the difference is not statistically significant. In fact, if I look at only Sedo data and instead of using mean use the median (i..e. order the sales and take the one in the middle) the median .me sales price for last year is $2350 while the median for the 5 year period is lower at $2000.

So I would find it very possible that prices for .me are edging down, and number of sales too, but it is not dramatic and possibly simply effects from reporting venues altering the wholesale/retail mix.

Sorry this has been so long! I hope you don't get banned from NPs for using math! :oops:

Bob

ps By the way if you thought I had gone through all of this before I said it was not that statistically significant, I had not. I am way too lazy for that :sneaky:. I had a hunch the data with a sample of just a bit over 100 would work out overlapped.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back