IT.COM

Sedo.com domain sellers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

lknights1987

Established Member
Impact
How long does it take for Sedo to payout after you've sold a domain name?

What tips do you have on having the best chance at selling domains on sedo.com?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi Lknights1987,

Thanks for your message.

When a domain is sold through Sedo's marketplace, the domain transfer itself is not started until the buyer's funds are confirmed - this is so we can be sure the seller can be paid once the transaction is finished. However, part of our obligation to the buyer is also that we make sure they will have full control and ownership of the domain before the funds are released to the seller. In many situations, this is fulfilled by Sedo taking the push at the seller's registrar, but it is not always possible, since Sedo cannot maintain an account at every registrar available.

In cases where the domain transfers directly to the buyer with the authorisation code, if this can be confirmed via the Whois, then we make the payment. But if the Whois is private or the buyer does not immediately inform us that he received the domain, we will issue a 5 day deadline to respond - this is part of our due diligence to the buyer, so that he has the chance to inform us if the domain was not received, before the funds are released. If the buyer does not respond within the 5 days allotted, he is also informed that we will assume everything is in order for the transaction to be closed, and the funds would then be released.

If you have an open transfer please feel free to contact your transfer agent to get a better idea of how long it can take. Please communicate with your transfer agent directly through the Transfer Centre tool in your Sedo account:

Login to your Sedo account, Go to My Sedo > Transfer Centre, Click on the domain name, Click on the Transfer Status tabEnter your message in the field "Your Comment" and click "Submit"

With regards to your question about having the best chance at selling domains. Some domains sell fast, some sell slow and some dont sell at all. It is all about the right buyer seeing the domain at the right time, we can not give you a time line as to when you will get interest. We assist in the sales process and promote domains via our Multi listing service *SedoMLS*. This promotion allows your domains get maximum exposure through our 650 global sales and registrar partners. Increasing your chances of selling.

You should make sure the price that you have the domains listed as for sale for is correct and enticing enough to any potential buyers. To help you understand the domains neutral market value, you could apply for our appraisal service, check free price suggestion tools, research similarly named domain sales or ask in this forum. Consider changing the price option like for example from Buy Now to Make Offer and include no minimum offer just to see if there is any interest at all in the domains, or vice versa and change from Make Offer to Buy Now if you know you have the right price set. You do not need to accept any low offers you receive on Make Offer domains, you can counter offer with a higher amount but at least you can see if there is any interest with some potential buyers who may be put off by the Buy Now price.

Also, if you park your domain with Sedo (details on how to park can be found here: https://sedo-int1.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/897/kw/parking/search/1 ) you can also implement our sales lander which may increase the chances of selling your domains as it focuses the viewers attention to the fact the domain is for sale. Once you have parked a domain with Sedo, you will be able to have the sales offer page as the landing page. You will be able to select the new Sales Landing Page Layout in your account as so: log in to Sedo > go to Domain Management, select and click on the domain, choose the “Layout” tab > then choose “Selling” for the ' Lander Type'. Once you make the changes it takes 15 minutes for the technical change to take effect.

Listing a domain on our marketplace as Buy Now or Make Offer is free, if the domain sells only then do we charge a commission fee. If the domain sells directly on our marketplace then the commission fee is 15% of the final sales price. Please see here for the full price list: https://sedo.com/us/what-we-offer/price-list-for-services/

hopefully this information helps.

All the best
Chris

•••
@lknights1987 I found Sedo very fast on 3 occasions when I've made sales this year (each one was less than $ 1000). Money was transferred and cleared definitely under two weeks. I liked the update messages Sedo sends at every stage of the sale, and I got fast responses from my transaction manager to questions I left in the update feed. It's not the most modern interface but I don't really care as long as everything runs smoothly which is has done so far.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back