IT.COM

question Adding a possessive/plural s ?!

NameSilo
Watch

Emmy101

Established Member
Impact
Hello NPs,

Does adding possessive/plural s really hurts domain names ?! why everyone seems to hate it ?

I know for example that bookreader is the most favorable version, but also booksreader can be usable and has the same meaning!
So book reader, book's reader or books reader, what's the difference ?!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
One version sells, and the others do not.

•••
in simplest terms? shorter is better.

also proper grammar.
also unless the point of the future website is going to sell or talk about a specific product and plenty of it. it's best to stick with singular.

Bitcoin vs. Bitcoins?

Coins.com could work
even
Cars.com

but those types of examples are few and far between.

Domaining is a game of SAFE INVESTMENT not "awwww I couldn't get the singular. I'll get the plural instead just to be BE IN THE GAME and hope for the best."

before you think I'm being an ass and squashing your dreams.

I invested in plurals myself. Can't get rid of them to save my life.

lol Good luck!

•••
•••
in simplest terms? shorter is better.

also proper grammar.
also unless the point of the future website is going to sell or talk about a specific product and plenty of it. it's best to stick with singular.

Bitcoin vs. Bitcoins?

Coins.com could work
even
Cars.com

but those types of examples are few and far between.

Domaining is a game of SAFE INVESTMENT not "awwww I couldn't get the singular. I'll get the plural instead just to be BE IN THE GAME and hope for the best."

before you think I'm being an ass and squashing your dreams.

I invested in plurals myself. Can't get rid of them to save my life.

lol Good luck!

Thanks for the advice !
I was asking to clear my confusion, don't have any domains in that category (yet :happy:)
what would you say If the singular version was priced at $XXXXX and the plural one was at $XXX? is getting the plural a smart move for some end users ? saved a lot of money and got a domain that has the same meaning!?

Last edited:
•••
I guess? so long as you reg it for that dotster $1.99 special. lol

•••
IMO books reader doesn't make sense but if you feel it's worth it buy both versions.

•••
Bitcoin vs. Bitcoins?

I would like to put this Namebio links,

They all are Bitcoins not Bitcoin,

https://namebio.com/?s==AzMykzM4MTM

Yes, I knew, if they are with bitcoin then they can be fetched more then double of there price, but when you sold one domain even for $800 which you registered at dotster $1.99 promo, it's still good ROI, Isn't it!

•••
Hello NPs,

Does adding possessive/plural s really hurts domain names ?! why everyone seems to hate it ?

I know for example that bookreader is the most favorable version, but also booksreader can be usable and has the same meaning!
So book reader, book's reader or books reader, what's the difference ?!

shoes is better then shoe

contactlenses is better then contactlens

spectacles is better then .. no just joking

so it all depends

•••
Macy's with Macys.com

Filene's Basement with FilenesBasement.com

So, there are end users for possessives, but it must make sense.

Book's reader makes no sense. The correct form is BookReader.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back