IT.COM

question About Domain name age, ABY or WBY?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

SCOFIELD

Established Member
Impact
I use expireddomainname.net to filter domains I like.
I knew domain name age is a good filter to find valued domain names.
But which one is more correct?
ABY(first found date in archive.org) or WBY(whois creation date?)
If a domain name has never been developed as a website before, will it be found in archive.org?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think you can take both factors into account and decide further to register or not. sometimes parked pages reflect on archive.org

•••
A related question for @DNScholar:

I see a lot of emphasis on the age of a domain. But other than for domainers, how would that be relevant to an end-user? My thinking is that who cares how long the domain has been around other than (a) it's not available unless the end-user gets it from whomever is selling it, (b) as long as it has clean history, for short reg date?

I keep trying to make sense of this and, apparently, I remain clueless, lol.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this

•••

I see a lot of emphasis on the age of a domain. But other than for domainers, how would that be relevant to an end-user? My thinking is that who cares how long the domain has been around other than (a) it's not available unless the end-user gets it from whomever is selling it, (b) as long as it has clean history, for short reg date?

History and Age of a domain are two different things. History says when the domain first registered for example it may got registered around 1990's and than got dropped and re-registered continuously since 2012 to till date than Domain Age will be around 4 years.
And You are correct that only Domainers give importance to the History or Age of a domain and not end users. I think the reason domainers give importance to history or age of a domain because that may help them to pitch sales to end users.

•••
Got it. Thanks for the reply. I keep reading about age, and it doesn't seem applicable to nTLDs, of course, even though there's a lot of talk around some of those desirable ones.

•••
Thank you so much for your replies above! I do think AGE helps me a lot to filter expiring names. The older the more likely to be a good name.

•••
Thank you so much for your replies above! I do think AGE helps me a lot to filter expiring names. The older the more likely to be a good name.
Age is good but also domain name matters.

•••

You know why everyone talks about AGE- it is only because is matters a lot in SEO & in GOOGLE algorithm. Goole gives good importance to Age in their ranking algo. Therefore, everyone is after Aged domains.
This is the number one reason for everyone interested in aged domains.

•••
You know why everyone talks about AGE- it is only because is matters a lot in SEO & in GOOGLE algorithm. Goole gives good importance to Age in their ranking algo. Therefore, everyone is after Aged domains.
This is the number one reason for everyone interested in aged domains.

I'm not an SEO expert by any means and I don't know the details of the Google Algo, but common sense would tell me that the age of an undeveloped domain name shouldn't have much weight. If the name has not been developed, there is no traffic nor any other "signals" or whatever they call it, to that domain.

Now the age of a site on that domain (i.e. developed) would carry more weight, whatever that means to Google--what I think @DNScholar refers to as the history and age, above.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back