IT.COM

advice About domain age: how to determine it?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Francis AHLE

Established Member
Impact
What counts when i want to sell a domain and talk about its age as a asset? Should i consider:

1-The date when i bought it?
2-The first registration date shown by the wayback machine?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What counts when i want to sell a domain and talk about its age as a asset? Should i consider:

what really counts, is the quality and appeal of the domain, not how old it is.

since age is only a value point for domainers, then it's irrelevant to mention, unless asked.

no buyer in my experience, other than another domainer, has ever asked about the age of the name they purchased or were interested in.

the age of a domain, is the date from which it was first registered,
however, it must be or have been, consistently registered/renewed up to todays date, for it to be considered an "aged" domain.

when you look at whois information for a domain, then the "date created", to todays date, is it's age.

imo...

•••
what really counts, is the quality and appeal of the domain, not how old it is.

since age is only a value point for domainers, then it's irrelevant to mention, unless asked.

no buyer in my experience, other than another domainer, has ever asked about the age of the name they purchased or were interested in.

the age of a domain, is the date from which it was first registered,
however, it must be or have been, consistently registered/renewed up to todays date, for it to be considered an "aged" domain.

when you look at whois information for a domain, then the "date created", to todays date, is it's age.

imo...
Okay, thanks a lot for your explanations. I have one more question. Are domains valuable even if they have no backlinks at all?

•••
Are domains valuable even if they have no backlinks at all?

yes, depending on the actual domain, they can have value.
ie: 4 letter.com have value, but how many have backlinks?

backlinks, are dependent on the webmaster/owner of the website where the link reside... that point to your domain.
should that link get removed or the website dies/ domain expires, then your backlinks disappear.

imo...

•••
About domain age: how to determine it?
There are a few ways to try to determine it:
  1. Archive sites like archive.org and archive.is
  2. The current WHOIS record may contain it in the creation date.
  3. WHOIS history sites like DomainTools.com, DomainIQ.com, Whoisology.com, etc. to look at older whois records (The oldest record might contain the first creation date).
  4. Other websites that might have cached the WHOIS (And therefore registration date)
  5. Other websites that might have cached other info/history about the domain like DNS settings. If there is a record of DNS info from 2004 but the current WHOIS shows 2009 creation date, then you know it's at least as old as 2004.

Hope that helps,

•••
Depends on your market to be honest, prolly why this question cannot easily be answered.

•••

Determining the age of a domain is pretty simple for me. I go to Whois.com. Type the domain in the right top search and whatever the "Registered On:" shows is the age of the domain.

This is basically the last time it was dropped or actually registered on. Either way, it's the actual age of the domain.

Not all buyers care about the age of domains. Most domain sellers do though. But an end user couldn't care less about age as long as it fits what they are looking for.

-Omar

•••
Back