Dynadot

Flippa unable to determine the correct domain age?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

emulator

Established Member
Impact
Hi all,

I have to share this shocking experience with my Flippa listing domain for sale.

As I became the owner of such domain through the standard backdrop auction procedure just 1 month ago, the registration date obviously shows the current, 1 month old. But everyone knows that the real domain age is determined by when the domain was first seen (2001 in my case), which can be clearly checked via the WayBack machine at Archive.org and by some more sophisticated domain age check tools (http://www.webconfs.com/domain-age.php or http://www.seomastering.com/domain-age-checker.php etc...)

Unfortunately, when listing my domain name, AFTER paying all their fees, their automatic scrape system determined the domain age being just 1 month old :(

I hate seeing this, as I'm convinced that the domain age is one of the more important factors in selling your domain name and getting the best possible valuation.

To my surprise, when I reached out their Support service, they are not able, or not willing, to change it and write down the right, easy to prove, domain age of my listed domain...

Has anybody else experienced (or even better, solved) such problem?

thanks in advance,

Em

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi,

after the drop the domain age resets (domain age= last whois creation date = last regdate).

Last edited:
•••
even if a domain was first registered in 2001, if it expires and drops thru to deletion, then a new creation date may be assigned.

still, age is only a number that some domainers place value on.

imo...

•••
Hi all,

I have to share this shocking experience with my Flippa listing domain for sale.

As I became the owner of such domain through the standard backdrop auction procedure just 1 month ago, the registration date obviously shows the current, 1 month old. But everyone knows that the real domain age is determined by when the domain was first seen (2001 in my case), which can be clearly checked via the WayBack machine at Archive.org and by some more sophisticated domain age check tools (http://www.webconfs.com/domain-age.php or http://www.seomastering.com/domain-age-checker.php etc...)

Unfortunately, when listing my domain name, AFTER paying all their fees, their automatic scrape system determined the domain age being just 1 month old :(

I hate seeing this, as I'm convinced that the domain age is one of the more important factors in selling your domain name and getting the best possible valuation.

To my surprise, when I reached out their Support service, they are not able, or not willing, to change it and write down the right, easy to prove, domain age of my listed domain...

Has anybody else experienced (or even better, solved) such problem?

thanks in advance,

Em

It's not shocking, Flippa is right. The domain age is always based on the newest registration date.

•••
•••
thanx for your feedback, guys

well, I have found this nice explanation of domain age, that imo describes it best:

"First, is the length of time that a domain has been registered. Second,
is the age of the website in regards to how long that it has been
active, or how long that it has had crawlable content on the web. The
search engines factor domain age from the time that the website is first
crawled by the search engines and when the first inbound link to the
website is noticed."

I personally see a big difference in saying "registered" and saying "age", as it is common that domains can be registered over and over again.

But If you are right, WHY do so many checking tools rely on the "first seen" date following Archive.org ? WHY does DomainIndex.com (personally connected with Andrew Rosener and other big pros) show also the older date ??

•••
Flippa is correct, but if you find this history to be important just include your findings in the listing description, no?

•••
Beezy: You're right, and I have it included. Thats all I can do. But I think it just does not look good in case the domain has such history. Someone could consider it being a handreg...

anyway, thank you all

•••
thanx for your feedback, guys

well, I have found this nice explanation of domain age, that imo describes it best:

"First, is the length of time that a domain has been registered. Second,
is the age of the website in regards to how long that it has been
active, or how long that it has had crawlable content on the web. The
search engines factor domain age from the time that the website is first
crawled by the search engines and when the first inbound link to the
website is noticed."

I personally see a big difference in saying "registered" and saying "age", as it is common that domains can be registered over and over again.

But If you are right, WHY do so many checking tools rely on the "first seen" date following Archive.org ? WHY does DomainIndex.com (personally connected with Andrew Rosener and other big pros) show also the older date ??

Nobody is arguing with you about whether people give consideration to "first seen" dates. What's being explained to you is that domain age refers to something specific and that the date used in determining age is the most recent date of registration. I guarantee you that if you ask Andrew Rosener that question, he will tell you the same thing.

As beezy said, if you think the first date of registration is important, then it's up to you to mention it in the body of the listing, but asking flippa to use the first seen date as the age is essentially asking them to engage in misrepresentation.

•••
I think he got it. The age of the domain is the whois age of the domain. Flippa is taking automatically the whois.

Now tell me - My domain is registered in GoDaddy, flippa is showing that it's registered in Wild West Domains. What's the deal here?

Sorry @emulator for using your thread, but i think there is something in common.

•••
I think he got it. The age of the domain is the whois age of the domain. Flippa is taking automatically the whois.

Now tell me - My domain is registered in GoDaddy, flippa is showing that it's registered in Wild West Domains. What's the deal here?

Sorry @emulator for using your thread, but i think there is something in common.

Godaddy and Wild West Domains are the same company. Did you pick up this domain at a Godaddy expiring auction?

•••
•••

Look up the whois. It says Wild West Domains right there.

•••
Look up the whois. It says Wild West Domains right there.

Well - I feel stupid now. :guilty:

OK - why they need 2 names since they are the same company. The domain is in my godaddy account and I've never heard of WildWest before.

•••
Well - I feel stupid now. :guilty:

OK - why they need 2 names since they are the same company. The domain is in my godaddy account and I've never heard of WildWest before.

Wild west is Godaddy's domain reseller division.

•••
I guarantee you that if you ask Andrew Rosener that question, he will tell you the same thing.

Sorry @discobull , I got your point, but one last question. Are you saying that DomainIndex.com is displaying wrong domain age this way? I never take these appraisal services too seriously, but I would assumed that they could handle at least determining the right domain age without any problem.

•••
Just because archive.org has a website listed in 2001 it does not mean that's when the domain was first reg'd. That is just the first time the domain was crawled by them.

Go reg a $.99 domain at GD and don't ever submit it to archive.org. It can take quite a while in some cases before they even get to it to crawl it. Just as an experiment to see when archive.org crawls it.

If you reg a new domain today but archive.org doesn't crawl it till 2017 for example, does that mean the domains age starts in 2017?

Archive.org does not crawl a domain as soon as it gets reg'd.

•••
thats for sure @ulterios , I just considered that the "first seen" date would be logically the "born" date or later, giving me logically the idea about the "highest provable age"

•••
Sorry @discobull , I got your point, but one last question. Are you saying that DomainIndex.com is displaying wrong domain age this way? I never take these appraisal services too seriously, but I would assumed that they could handle at least determining the right domain age without any problem.

Yes, domainindex in many cases displays the wrong age information. This is not because they are interpreting age the way you believe it should be interpreted, but because they rely on their own locally stored whois database for age information. Unfortunately they do not update their database in real time or even with great frequency which is why after domains drop they continue to display the same ( incorrect ) age.

•••
thats for sure @ulterios , I just considered that the "first seen" date would be logically the "born" date or later, giving me logically the idea about the "highest provable age"
Many people think that archive.org's records are exact as far as determining a domains age. Theoretically a domain can be years older than archive.org's first crawl date.

•••
•••
Maybe it's a new upgrade. $249 to display Domain Age:)

•••
Theoretically a domain can be years older than archive.org's first crawl date.

thank you, thats exactly what I was thinking

•••

Now you know to be very, very careful with any company that collects your money up front to sell YOUR property. It's an outrageous practice, IMHO. You'll find a few jerks here who, instead of demanding better service from auctioneers and auction platforms, instead blame you, the clueless sucker who's pocket has been lightened by removal of a healthy chunk of cash.

Caveat emptor.

•••
:))) well, believe me or not, @HeyNow , I'm not that clueless as you might think, as I have asked for my money back immediately and after some discussion they agreed... (funny is, that after learning from this thread I'm not sure if I insist on that anymore)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back