Domain Empire

Flippa unable to determine the correct domain age?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

emulator

Established Member
Impact
Hi all,

I have to share this shocking experience with my Flippa listing domain for sale.

As I became the owner of such domain through the standard backdrop auction procedure just 1 month ago, the registration date obviously shows the current, 1 month old. But everyone knows that the real domain age is determined by when the domain was first seen (2001 in my case), which can be clearly checked via the WayBack machine at Archive.org and by some more sophisticated domain age check tools (http://www.webconfs.com/domain-age.php or http://www.seomastering.com/domain-age-checker.php etc...)

Unfortunately, when listing my domain name, AFTER paying all their fees, their automatic scrape system determined the domain age being just 1 month old :(

I hate seeing this, as I'm convinced that the domain age is one of the more important factors in selling your domain name and getting the best possible valuation.

To my surprise, when I reached out their Support service, they are not able, or not willing, to change it and write down the right, easy to prove, domain age of my listed domain...

Has anybody else experienced (or even better, solved) such problem?

thanks in advance,

Em

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You'll find a few jerks here who, instead of demanding better service from auctioneers and auction platforms, instead blame you, the clueless sucker who's pocket has been lightened by removal of a healthy chunk of cash.

nqngvr.jpg

•••
But the thing is is that it's displayed as if it does matter...

it makes buyers that aren't that knowledgeable think that's a point of value

•••
:))) well, believe me or not, @HeyNow , I'm not that clueless as you might think, as I have asked for my money back immediately and after some discussion they agreed... (funny is, that after learning from this thread I'm not sure if I insist on that anymore)

Oh, no offense meant. When it comes to domain auctioneers and auction platform entities, it seems to me as though they like to keep outside bidders and customers clueless, such as with the policy of allowing employees to bid against outside customers, taking advantage of the ignorance of those outside customers.

Welcome to the clueless club. There's one sure way to not have your wallet emptied by opportunists and scoundrels: Don't pay upfront costs or fees, ever.

•••
it makes buyers that aren't that knowledgeable think that's a point of value

@maxx500 I've seen many different opinions across the internet, discussed at MOZ and such sources and would be wondering what makes you so sure that the domain age does not influence value of a domain. Tell me, please.

•••
@maxx500 I've seen many different opinions across the internet, discussed at MOZ and such sources and would be wondering what makes you so sure that the domain age does not influence value of a domain. Tell me, please.
Domain age does matter to SOME people because they think the older domains hold more value just for being old. There are many other things they should be looking at first when thinking about buying a domain before even thinking about how old it it. There are backlinks to look at, any blacklists the domain might be on, brandability of the domain, any other kind of existing ranking factors, so an and so forth.

Worrying about it's age should be lower down a list of considerations, if at all. Some buyers, especially those that don't know much about domains hold a domains age as factor in determining it's worth.

If you have a 15 year old domain that has been constantly under registration with no reg gaps but has never had a site on it, that doesn't mean it's worth more than a 2 year old domain that has been developed and has good backlinks and search traffic.

•••

I was not saying age doesn't influence value, actually the opposite (I now can see how it looked like that though) - I was just saying it's displayed AS IF it is a point of value, which could influence a buyer's overall decision on a domain.

So regardless if it is or it isn't, it can affect a buyers decision/interest.

and if it can influence a buyers decision then imo it becomes an important factor.

•••

sure. the domain age does not influence value of domain. A important thing is the buyers pay and they run!

•••
and if it can influence a buyers decision then imo it becomes an important factor.

Great words, @maxx500 , thank you! Finally, we've come to the point of this my thread.

•••
When a domain is premium and this is obvious to anyone then the age doesn't matter to nearly anyone but when the domain is mediocre then the age can influence some people and make them think that it's more valuable than it actually is if it has a certain age.

•••
Just as I said in my previous post, it can matter to SOME people. Many times it does not though. If people think that age matters to EVERY buyer then they are wrong. I am saying that it can matter to SOME, but not to all. It will probably matter more to a buyer who isn't as well informed as one who has done their research.

Would you rather have a 10 year old domain that gets zero traffic and is on a bunch of blacklists and has Google penalties or a 2 year old domain that gets tons of visitors and lots of good backlinks?

Some buyers don't know about these things so they might look at the age and take that into consideration.

I am NOT saying age doesn't matter to all buyers because it will matter to some. I am just saying that it won't matter to ALL buyers, especially people in the domain industry that have been around long enough to know better.

•••
Weird flippa trashing on this thread, when Godaddy would show the same exact date and it's one of the only things they show you when you look at an auction.

•••
You got here some answers, which shows that domain age is only one of important factors - you could have a 100 years old domain - and what this helps you, if nobody wants to buy!
Sometimes "aged domains" are just domains, nobody wants them :)

There are many factors, among them:
- domain age
- domain (relevant) keywords
- domain price (somebody will be willing to pay less for domain - even if not so top domain - and will invest more money in advertising)
- I would say, you are just competing with very top domains in your mind
- just believe in your domain - be realistic - and make summary with right (or) an attractive price - and wait!

Among other factors are as well:
- a bit of luck to have the right domain, with right timing on the right place
- this one cannot be determined - it just happens

On the end I would add - PATIENCE - be patient.

Good luck with selling!

PS.
I just forgot to mention one important thing - not always domains comes to buyers - you could help your domain to be sold with your own activities - try to find customers, which would have an interest.
Some people think, domain selling is just "so easy". Nope, it is not. Many work behind - but this is just not seen by people, who think domains will sell "just so".
Put some work in and try to sell this domain with your own activities!

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back