IT.COM

question About Appraisals?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Is there suppose to be a "formula" of some sort when NamePros members attempt to do appraisals for other members, or is it mostly subjective? The reason I ask is, a NamePros friend of mine from Canada graciously attempted to do an appraisal for RefiConsultants.com. Because he'd never really heard of the term "Refi", he wasn't able appraise the name. As it turns out, the term "Refi" is to Refinance as "Tech" is to Technology. Furthermore, the site NameBio has a half dozen "Refi" names that have sold ranging from a low of about $1,000 to a high of $500,000 for Refi.com that sold in 2017. Having researched that on my own, I then went to the word "Consultants" that is part of the name, and discovered a lot of domains selling for from $1,000 to a high of $25,000 for MarketingConsutants.com that sold in October of 2016.

So armed with this information, without really knowing anything about this industry, is anyone really able to make a fair and objective appraisal for this name? I guess this is why anyone attempting to do an appraisal here on NamePro's really needs more information because a simple formula just doesn't work. Can anyone add anything here? Inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks,

Bulloney

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, to start with appraisals are free so you can only expect so much. It is not likely people are going to spend a massive amount of time researching to leave a free appraisal.

A good rule of thumb is if a domain is unregistered in 2018, especially .COM, it means no one else wanted it.

Additionally, yes the term "refi" is used. However, I would still rather have refinanceconsultants.com, and that is available to hand register. If you feel strong about this domain you should have both.

Brad

•••
Is there suppose to be a "formula" of some sort when NamePros members attempt to do appraisals for other members, or is it mostly subjective?
100% Subjective, that's why I Never ask for appraisals here or elsewhere...

•••
Well, to start with appraisals are free so you can only expect so much. It is not likely people are going to spend a massive amount of time researching to leave a free appraisal.

A good rule of thumb is if a domain is unregistered in 2018, especially .COM, it means no one else wanted it.

Additionally, yes the term "refi" is used. However, I would still rather have refinanceconsultants.com, and that is available to hand register. If you feel strong about this domain you should have both.

Brad
OK Brad...I gave you a "like" because I just picked up refinanceconsultants.com. I had just got through registering RefiGuy.loans and TheRefiGuy.loans after clearing the names with USPTO. I guess where I have a problem with the NamePros members that try to tell me I don't know what I'm doing is when I know for a FACT that the term "Refi" is not only very popular, but the refinancing of homes, student loans and auto's represent well over 100 Billion dollars a year in loan and broker fees. Combine that with the fact that I have a great contact with Wells Fargo Mortgage Banking, and a neighbor who is the President of the mortgage division of the largest regional bank in my area, registering these domains makes perfect sense. Obviously no one else knows what I know about the loan business, but I find that real hard to believe.

Brad, I wasn't born yesterday, and I'm well aware there are members here who are trying to "bait" me, and if they're successful, it's their loss...I can assure you. I'll do fine regardless:xf.wink: Thanks again for the heads up for refinanceconsultants.com...it may come in handy.

Bulloney

Last edited:
•••
You should never ask for an appraisal if you already think your domain is valuable. Truth and reality often hurt.

•••
Ha! Rich, that felt like a jab to the kidneys!

Yeah, I'm probably not the most qualified person to appraise your domain. I guess all any of us can really do when appraising is speak from our own experiences. There's no hard and fast rule for valuing these things.

My own experience told me RefiConsultants would be a tough one to sell because of the low search results and seemingly limited use of the term. I've registered names that had tens of thousands of exact searches, in big industries, and with 30 to 40 good potential end users whom I've emailed directly, and still not been able to sell them consistently.

My method is usually to search Google, search for similar existing domains, with operational businesses, and then see what my odds of selling the name look like. I applied that method to RefiConsultants and it didn't look good.

Is my method great? Hell no, I'm sure it's very narrow-minded. But in my very limited experience, it has worked okay for me, and has resulted in some decent sales, and has saved me a lot of money on questionable registrations. People with a different set of skills (such as yourself) might not find value in that method. If you have the personal connections and the business knowledge to pedal these things, then I'm sure there's probably a lot more value in that.

So my appraisal attempt was really more an opening of a discussion. Kind of a "here's how I see it from my tiny bubble in the world."

•••
Ha! Rich, that felt like a jab to the kidneys!

Yeah, I'm probably not the most qualified person to appraise your domain. I guess all any of us can really do when appraising is speak from our own experiences. There's no hard and fast rule for valuing these things.

My own experience told me RefiConsultants would be a tough one to sell because of the low search results and seemingly limited use of the term. I've registered names that had tens of thousands of exact searches, in big industries, and with 30 to 40 good potential end users whom I've emailed directly, and still not been able to sell them consistently.

My method is usually to search Google, search for similar existing domains, with operational businesses, and then see what my odds of selling the name look like. I applied that method to RefiConsultants and it didn't look good.

Is my method great? Hell no, I'm sure it's very narrow-minded. But in my very limited experience, it has worked okay for me, and has resulted in some decent sales, and has saved me a lot of money on questionable registrations. People with a different set of skills (such as yourself) might not find value in that method. If you have the personal connections and the business knowledge to pedal these things, then I'm sure there's probably a lot more value in that.

So my appraisal attempt was really more an opening of a discussion. Kind of a "here's how I see it from my tiny bubble in the world."

Joe...when you read my response, you may want to notice that it was moved from the General Domain Discussion Thread where NamePros says, "it's the place to talk about general topics related to domain names" to the "Comments and Feedback" thread. I feel like such a fool:xf.wink: in that I thought domain appraisals is a "general topic". What was I thinking?

Moving on, you said my comments "felt like a jab to the kidneys!".? In all due respect, it was your comments about not having heard of the word/term "refi", combined with your comment, the name is a "miss" based on your research, that "felt like a jab in the kidneys!" to me:xf.frown: Maybe we both hadn't taken our sensitivity pills:xf.grin:.

Personally, being a very positive can do person, I tend to look for the positive in pretty much everything, and as such, I don't handle criticism very well, especially when I believe I'm right.

That said, I "may" have just put my last name up for appraisal about an hour ago. The name is AspirVita.com. My wife came up with the name and the idea, and regardless of whether she thought it was a good name, she wouldn't defend it:xf.frown:, but my being a loyal and loving husband, I would defend it for her:xf.grin:

That's all I have Joe...I hope we're still friends:xf.smile:

Bulloney aka Rich

•••
Personally, being a very positive can do person, I tend to look for the positive in pretty much everything, and as such, I don't handle criticism very well, especially when I believe I'm right.

Positive about everything. Except when it conflicts with own beliefs :xf.cry:

•••
Joe...when you read my response, you may want to notice that it was moved from the General Domain Discussion Thread where NamePros says, "it's the place to talk about general topics related to domain names" to the "Comments and Feedback" thread. I feel like such a fool:xf.wink: in that I thought domain appraisals is a "general topic". What was I thinking?

Moving on, you said my comments "felt like a jab to the kidneys!".? In all due respect, it was your comments about not having heard of the word/term "refi", combined with your comment, the name is a "miss" based on your research, that "felt like a jab in the kidneys!" to me:xf.frown: Maybe we both hadn't taken our sensitivity pills:xf.grin:.

That said, I "may" have just put my last name up for appraisal about an hour ago. The name is AspirVita.com. My wife came up with the name and the idea, and regardless of whether she thought it was a good name, she wouldn't defend it:xf.frown:, but my being a loyal and loving husband, I would defend it for her:xf.grin:

That's all I have Joe...I hope we're still friends:xf.smile:

Bulloney aka Rich

Ah okay. Well my comments definitely weren't meant that way. But I hear you about taking criticism... I don't like it either. It's why I don't ask for appraisals of my own names. :) Posting an appraisal request here is akin to saying "please criticise my domain name."

Still, when I respond to an appraisal request, I do my best to provide constructive feedback based on some of my own experiences. Appraisals are only useful if you can have a quality discussion about the name with a few different people. I can't stand when someone jumps on just to say, "Sorry! Zero dollars!"

Still friends, so stay positive, my man. That's what life is all about. But keep those discussion avenues open as well. ;)

•••
I can't stand when someone jumps on just to say, "Sorry! Zero dollars!"
Please note we have the following rule:
  • Rule 5.1. All appraisals below $10 must include a unique explanation to support the assessment.
If you notice anyone not following that rule, please report it.

I feel like such a fool:xf.wink: in that I thought domain appraisals is a "general topic". What was I thinking?
It could be a general topic, but you made it specific to NamePros in your first sentence. ;)
  • "when NamePros members attempt to do appraisals for other members, or is it mostly subjective?"
However, I can see that your sentence is ambiguous and could have been intended to be more general to domainers rather than about our specific Appraisal section but many who read it will interpret it the same way as the moderator who moved this thread. I realize that sometimes "NamePros members" and "domainers" are used interchangeably, so that may have caused the misinterpretation of the topic.

We're going to keep an eye on it to see if it sparks any improvement ideas for the appraisal section on NamePros, but I've moved it back to General Discussion for now. If the topic becomes mostly about our Appraisal section, then we'll move it back to Comments & Feedback.

Hope that helps,

•••
There could be a template similar to the New Member Intro Template. :)

Maybe like:

Domain Name:
Domain Extension:
Domain Age:
# of characters:
Previous Sales History:
Comparable Closed Sales:
Comparable Listed Sales:
Other Registered Extensions:
Notes:
Reseller Value Range:
End User Value Range:

:)

Last edited:
•••
•••
I knew that! Just testing you. :xf.rolleyes:

•••
Is there suppose to be a "formula" of some sort when NamePros members attempt to do appraisals for other members, or is it mostly subjective? The reason I ask is, a NamePros friend of mine from Canada graciously attempted to do an appraisal for RefiConsultants.com. Because he'd never really heard of the term "Refi", he wasn't able appraise the name. As it turns out, the term "Refi" is to Refinance as "Tech" is to Technology. Furthermore, the site NameBio has a half dozen "Refi" names that have sold ranging from a low of about $1,000 to a high of $500,000 for Refi.com that sold in 2017. Having researched that on my own, I then went to the word "Consultants" that is part of the name, and discovered a lot of domains selling for from $1,000 to a high of $25,000 for MarketingConsutants.com that sold in October of 2016.

So armed with this information, without really knowing anything about this industry, is anyone really able to make a fair and objective appraisal for this name? I guess this is why anyone attempting to do an appraisal here on NamePro's really needs more information because a simple formula just doesn't work. Can anyone add anything here? Inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks,

Bulloney
I am going to do you the biggest favor of your life! I am going to give you the formula to valuate your own domains with this simple formula.
Exact monthly matches (exact domain name monthly matches) multiplied by cost per click divided by expected click through rate multiplied by 12.
(E.M.M.*C.P.C./C.T.R.*12=value)
Example: FastCanvasPrints.com exact monthly matches=590 cost per click= $5.64 Expected click through rate 10%
590*5.64= $3,327.60 * .10%= $332.76 * 12 (12 months )= $3,993.12
So that's the amount someone would save from not having to pay google to have their site in first page serp results. If their website is properly done.
So now if your domain name has no exact matches per month and there is no developed site or your site gets no traffic, then your domain name is virtually worth $0. That's right the big goose egg!
So now for your domain name to be worth more then reg fee someone else needs to find it appealing enough to purchase.
That's where NamePros members come in to help. There are thousands of seasoned, well known, experienced, professional, trusted, friendly, honorable, helpful, expert and qualified domainers here to help other domainers that might need assistance in putting value or an idea on a domain name.
So Thank them for their thoughts when they give them applaud them for their kindness and time spent helping others and if someone says something you disagree with still kindly thank them for their time and expert opinion.
@NamePros Thanks to ALL the NAMEPROS members who continually put up with my posts asking for input as you see my avatar, shake your head and sigh "oh gosh this guy again."

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back