IT.COM

discuss A Shark Tank TV show member says to Not invest in Bitcoin...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

OmarVG

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You need to understand why they make those comments. I understand that Jamie Dimon's family isinvesting heavily in Bitcoin, so (like me ) they have an interest in seeing the price fall in anticipation of future gains.

The other danger for unsophisticated investors is that they lose their wallet, or leave it unprotected, so I agree that Bitcoin is not for widows and orphans.

•••
I think the concept is great, no Govt or central bank control or manipulation of fiat currencies and exchange rates for individual country import or export competition. But with something that is backed by nothing it seems strange. When it hit $1200 past the price of gold, I was amused. Then took note. It’s gone way above that obviously this past year now at $8600. Last I checked. Those that owned it for several years might be smart to sell some and speculate only with their gains. Its popular and plenty of people are buying into the trend. Just because something is popular, does not confirm its great, it simply means peer verification of “we are all in this together”. There are people still buying Google and Amazon stock now at their heights too. If you have extra money, and are the type of person who gambles or likes to play blackjack in Vegas, great, its for you. If not, don’t. Some people don’t remember when gold shot up many years ago, then came back down and sat at $300-350 for years. Some people don’t remember the rise and fall of the .Dot craze, the only ones that do with fond memories cashed out beforehand. The dutch Tulip craze was mentioned in the article too, Google that.

The concept of the blockchain is really interesting for other applications. Rather than look at overnight millionaires who sold during the peak of dotcom, look at the old money.

Does anyone know if Value investors like Warren Buffet are buying any bitcoin?

•••
The big big roadblock for all crypto at some point is going to be taxes .. or more specifically the lack of them. As big as it may seem right now .. crypto accounts for a tiny minute fraction of global transactions .. but as that percentage grows .. governments are going to start seeing tax revenues decrease .. which will lead them to take action (as I think China has done recently).

Beyond that .. even if the govs do manage to tax .. how do you do so on something so volatile? If bitcoin triples from january to december .. then a business' january sales would effectively be taxed 3 times as much. The argument goes the other way as well .. if bitcoin goes down .. then why would one business be entitled to effectively pay less taxes?

Look at what the USA did with online Poker .. some thought it would be impossible for them to do .. but when they did crack down .. it changed the game considerably!

I do see a future for chain technology .. but for the purely currency based "coins" that aren't actually backed by anything/anyone I still see huge risks! All it's going to take is one major western nation to do sometihng .. and th rest will likely follow soon after. Probably won't happen this year .. possibly not even next .. but certainly by the end of the decade .. unless of course the market implodes on it's own before that .. which certainly is possible! lol

•••
Those who have coins promote them - those who don't want it to fail.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back