IT.COM

.biz A possible pickup for .biz

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

JamesDavid

www.JamesDavid.comEstablished Member
Impact
I am thinking about creating a directory specifically devoted to .biz domains. it would allow any developed .biz to be added to the directory for free. The only rules would be it could not be a parked page or an adult site.

My hope would be that it would be a selling point for web designers, domainers, etc. A place where businesses could see that there are a good amount of developed .biz domains. I know from personal web design experience I have developed almost 10 for businesses. and when we go over domain names over half the time these businesses woudl rather have .biz over .us, or .info......

So my questions are these;
A: does such a site already exist?
B: if not, could this idea possibly help the extension?
C: would "extension.biz" be a good domain to use?
D: Would you list your developed .biz ont he site?
E: is anyone out there willing to help with keeping the site updated and filtered?

Thanks Alot

My main goal of this would be to help the .biz industry pickup. I think it is an extension with alot of potential and would like to see it reach its potential...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I jumped on the bandwagon and regged hardly.biz and perhaps.biz. lol Both are generic. perhaps.biz sounds like it could help your endeavor: "Need something cheaper than a .com ? Want another solution? Perhaps a .biz!" Just a thought.

•••
I have a basic shell for the site up now and am doing a few test links which will be taken off later. Here is what I need from some volunteers:

1; I would like alot of people to look at the site and tell me graphically what it needs for marketability.

2: If you have a link you would like to submit feel free however I can't promise I wont have to clear everything out for a reinstall or something so keep it to one link for now. But if I had about 10 more links for testing it would be great.

3: I need 4 or 5 people told right a paragraph about there experience with a dotBIZ site they developed. Please PM it to me with your name and the site which it talks about.

4. I need a very talented person to write a page long review on the dotBIZ extension. Includes Statistics that are citied in the paragraph to verify any of the information. Basically a need a sales page that possible domain buyers can read and it will sell them what a great product the dotBIZ extension is... please note I will give you full credit for your article including a picture if you like and a link to you blog etc. If I get a few of these that would be great too...

5. if anyone can recommend some more catergories that woudl be great too.

Thanks in advance for any help...

•••
Looking good.

1) There is some overwriting in the left menu. The bold "Link Backs" is being overwritten by something gray, which looks like "Popular Related Links:". I'm using FireFox.

2) Maybe the Links page should have it's name changed to .dotBIZ Directory.

3) Maybe the Exchange Links title should be removed, since your running a directory, not a Link Farm.

4) You don't really need 2 titles, "Links" and "Exchange Links"

•••
What version of FireFox are you using as that is what I use too....

I will change the name of the links page....

The exchange links is nto a title but a link to click on to put your link on the site but I will change the wording for sure. Thank you for your great input...

stub said:
Looking good.

1) There is some overwriting in the left menu. The bold "Link Backs" is being overwritten by something gray, which looks like "Popular Related Links:". I'm using FireFox.

2) Maybe the Links page should have it's name changed to .dotBIZ Directory.

3) Maybe the Exchange Links title should be removed, since your running a directory, not a Link Farm.

4) You don't really need 2 titles, "Links" and "Exchange Links"

•••
What a useless domain extension

Jeff said:
I got the .BIZ warm & fuzzies ... keep up the good work, everyone! :music: :p:

250 NP$'s at the ready as the project needs it, as well! :gl:
-Jeff B-)

Oh my God.... now I'm even more worried about the aftermarket for dotmobi! - I didn't know Jeff had a soft spot for dotBiz.... from now on I will have the utmost respect for your stance on dotmobi; if the King Of SNow.Biz doth declare that dotmobi is doomed then who am I to disagree ;)

Dot.biz? That's so funny; the market is weaker now than it's ever been for .biz, no wonder I never got a decent reply from 'the man' ;)
If thats the level we're at - I should have lowered my game

.Biz = a charmless Chav word for a bizniss innit.

A clumsy 3 letter domain, with the oh so low valued 'z' character... not a popular choice I shall say.. with a harsh 'B' sound followed by the 'izz' sound.. not a softly tone & as forthright as .com or as nice (especially with an Irish lilt) as .mobi so it is! ;)

An extension that sounds a bee in a paper bag... dot bizzzzzzzzzz - can't see the point of it, just my two (sense) cents worth .... ha ha ha ha (in a smug patronising way)

The B sound relevant to the .biz is the B in Bin (aka trash can)

Useless extension - can you show me evidence that people are developing premium .biz sites that are actually used? Can you show me some that were built in the 17 months following the date .biz was launched

DotBiz .............. not my Biz! (That's all folks; that's NoBiz for you)

•••
newdomainer.mobi said:
What a useless domain extension ...

You're once again off topic, friend ... :rolleyes:

The "dot Mobey" time is limited (Tick Tock. Tick Tock.), so you should get your two cents now while you can ... http://www.namepros.com/dot-mobi/

We can't help you after dot Mobey April Fool's Day! :red: :snaphappy:

PS. Who, exactly, is uniquely developing - by mandate from mTLD - and promoting those premium auctioned .MOBI websites that were "sold at Traffic and Sedo? :guilty:

Best of Luck, and have a good day.

PS. Back on topic! :talk:

Link: http://www.extension.biz :lala:

-Jeff B-)

Last edited:
•••
I'm using FF 2.0.0.12 on linux.

I hadn't realized that "Exchange Links" was the add to the directory. Yep. I think it could be clearer it is the add to directory link.

Your 1 listing, although technically not parked, is just a 1 page adsense search page. Not exactly a glowing example of .dotBIZ in use. Could do better, me thinks.

•••
newdomainer.mobi said:
The B sound relevant to the .biz is the B in Bin (aka trash can)

All the real businesses using a .biz must be shattered. I do know there's a number of people who actually went with .biz when the .com they want is taken. :|

newdomainer.mobi said:
Useless extension - can you show me evidence that people are developing premium .biz sites that are actually used? Can you show me some that were built in the 17 months following the date .biz was launched

I'm not really a .biz fanatic but one website I visit occasionally;

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/index.jsp

and out of curiosity's sake, I did some searching and found this

http://www.gamesindustry.net/

actually is a mirror of their main .biz site

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/

Edit: You know, with such zest, I'd expected 'newdomainer.mobi' to be registered and a fully developed website. :-/

Why don't you go reg it and start promoting your favourite extension? :)

•••
stub said:
I'm using FF 2.0.0.12 on linux.

I hadn't realized that "Exchange Links" was the add to the directory. Yep. I think it could be clearer it is the add to directory link.

Your 1 listing, although technically not parked, is just a 1 page adsense search page. Not exactly a glowing example of .dotBIZ in use. Could do better, me thinks.

I know my one listing is a search engine with ads.... I will take that off soon. I am just testing out the listings. sorry.

Anywayz, just got back from dinner and will be putting some more time into this now. I think something like this coudl really boost the industry. I wish i personally had some money to sink into .biz domains but i will just hold onto the few I have and hopehelp the market for anyone...

•••
SMBGeek said:
Anywayz, just got back from dinner and will be putting some more time into this now. I think something like this coudl really boost the industry

You're gonna do all that "after dinner" :)

•••
I think the OP is a good initiative. .biz does not have too many friends on np but we are around. I like others have squirrelled away some single-word premium? names when they have dropped without being snapped up. Maybe development not after dinner, but soon, soon..... :xf.love:

•••
I've also got quite a few premium one worders.
Keep us updated as to how things are going and i'll happily donate some NP$.
Be nice to see .Biz make a comeback.
The contrarian approach has worked very well well for some people in the past and i've got a feeling .biz isn't as dead in the water as many people here would have you think.
Nice idea and good luck with it.

•••
thanks for the encouragement. I will be spending some time on the site today....

•••
I like the idea here, keep up he good work! Repped+

BTW, I think extension.biz is the perfect name for this site. :sold:

•••
•••
I suggest open up the site sometime for sales listings...alternatively persuade NP to have a .biz sales corner.

•••
the sales thing is a great idea.... it will be incorporated...

•••
I like the idea of a sales area for .biz. After all,if you're trying to promote the ext, you should allow holders of a .biz to sell their domains to interested ppl. It'll help a lot in getting ppl to develop these things.

•••
Thanks everyone for all the good input and please keep it coming. Now starts my M-F, 9-5 job so domains get pushed to nights and early mornings but i will continue to chip away at it.

•••
Flogging a dead horse trying to help this extension. Spend your time on tasks that will mainly benefit yourself, rather then helping for profit registries who couldn't really care much about the extension anyway.

•••
snoop said:
Flogging a dead horse trying to help this extension. Spend your time on tasks that will mainly benefit yourself, rather then helping for profit registries who couldn't really care much about the extension anyway.

incoming enemy airplane! :tu: :td: :tu:

•••
snoop said:

You have a point, solely doing things to benefit yourself and not the greater good is best in the long run. Maybe one day I will have tons of money and no friends.... Seriously get a life...

•••
snoop said:
Flogging a dead horse trying to help this extension.

Speak for yourself. For being a "senior member" this seems a bit unprofessional. Where's your project so we can trash it?

•••
[off topic rant]
Ooh, bashing .biz are we today? Sounds constructive.

WTF is wrong with you people?

Can we just quit TLD bashing? There are now over 300 TLDs and each of them has a certain relevance in the internet ( D-: - there I said it - :alien: ) .COM is king and every bleeping gTLD / ccTLD / mTLD / newTLD has relevance, either in development or in keyword value or even in local relevance.

All TLDs are as relevant as each other. As long as you develop the names. Wanna bet?

What I find really funny was the lack of inputs where they were asked for -
http://www.namepros.com/domain-name-discussion/425234-put-these-tlds-order-value-your.html
[/ end rant]

On topic civilized post - ;)

I think what you're trying to do is commendable and focussed. I also think you need to go with 'bookmarks' instead of the component being used currently and that it needs some design / layout work too, but then Rome wasn't built in a day.

Here are my developed .biz names -
http://www.mediawiz.biz 2001
http://www.chalo.biz 2002
http://www.maal.biz 2004
& I have one more that is parked.

•••
SMBGeek said:
You have a point, solely doing things to benefit yourself and not the greater good is best in the long run. Maybe one day I will have tons of money and no friends.... Seriously get a life...

It doesn't really benefit the greater good, it benefits the .biz registry, you are spending time/money on the marketing they should be doing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back