Dynadot

.biz A possible pickup for .biz

NameSilo
Watch

JamesDavid

www.JamesDavid.comEstablished Member
Impact
I am thinking about creating a directory specifically devoted to .biz domains. it would allow any developed .biz to be added to the directory for free. The only rules would be it could not be a parked page or an adult site.

My hope would be that it would be a selling point for web designers, domainers, etc. A place where businesses could see that there are a good amount of developed .biz domains. I know from personal web design experience I have developed almost 10 for businesses. and when we go over domain names over half the time these businesses woudl rather have .biz over .us, or .info......

So my questions are these;
A: does such a site already exist?
B: if not, could this idea possibly help the extension?
C: would "extension.biz" be a good domain to use?
D: Would you list your developed .biz ont he site?
E: is anyone out there willing to help with keeping the site updated and filtered?

Thanks Alot

My main goal of this would be to help the .biz industry pickup. I think it is an extension with alot of potential and would like to see it reach its potential...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I cant help you out alot, but extension.biz seems like a great name to me.
:imho:

Jake

•••
SMBGeek said:
I am thinking about creating a directory specifically devoted to .biz domains. it would allow any developed .biz to be added to the directory for free. The only rules would be it could not be a parked page or an adult site.

My hope would be that it would be a selling point for web designers, domainers, etc. A place where businesses could see that there are a good amount of developed .biz domains. I know from personal web design experience I have developed almost 10 for businesses. and when we go over domain names over half the time these businesses woudl rather have .biz over .us, or .info......

So my questions are these;
A: does such a site already exist?
B: if not, could this idea possibly help the extension?
C: would "extension.biz" be a good domain to use?
D: Would you list your developed .biz ont he site?
E: is anyone out there willing to help with keeping the site updated and filtered?

Thanks Alot

My main goal of this would be to help the .biz industry pickup. I think it is an extension with alot of potential and would like to see it reach its potential...

:hi:

This is a really neat idea.

Anything you can do to help the alternate extensions is great.

Patrick

•••
I think it's a great idea. Here are my answers...

A: Don't think so.
B: Yes.
C: I don't think extension.biz is great for this. Directory.biz is much better :) But you can't register that and you can brand almost any domain to anything :)
D: I would if I had any.
E: Sorry. I'm too busy domaining :(

•••
Alright besides extension.biz I have a few other biz domains that might be able to be used for this.... Do any of these work better?

GrowingTogether.biz
Jerk.biz
Fold.biz
Solicit.biz
Evidence.biz

Any of those better.........

•••
Extension.biz appears to be the best choice here, the rest don't really make much sense. :imho:

•••
Extension.biz does not sound much related, others don't fit either. Try buy a good one from someone.

•••
I feel badly for the lowly ".BIZ" ... and applaud your efforts to creatively and positively resurrent and promote it, IMHO. :gl: :tu:

All the best!
-Jeff B-)

•••
Real Quick Question. I dont mean to sound sarcastic but.......

To promote the .biz EXTENSION wouldn't EXTENSION.biz make sense?

That was my view of it...... but I seriously want to make this work so I appreciate all input.....

•••
SMBGeek said:
Real Quick Question. I dont mean to sound sarcastic but.......

To promote the .biz EXTENSION wouldn't EXTENSION.biz make sense?

That was my view of it...... but I seriously want to make this work so I appreciate all input.....

You want to promote the ".BIZ" outside of the domainer community, correct? :blink:

I'll post further with your reply.
Thanks much.
-Jeff B-)

•••
To answer your follow-up question. What has "extension" in common with a "directory". I'd think you'd need to be more creative. I didn't like your other options either (sorry to be negative, but just trying to help).

•••
I like your idea, but I don`t think that anyone need to help .biz extension at all. Believe it or not, only some domainres :blink: don`t like it ;)

•••
I FIRMLY believe the dotBIZ extension needs alot of help. I don't know many gtlds that you can register single word domains, and have little to no aftermarket...

•••
SMBGeek said:
I FIRMLY believe the dotBIZ extension needs alot of help. I don't know many gtlds that you can register single word domains, and have little to no aftermarket...

Agreed.
Back to the question involving ... :gl:
Jeff said:
You want to promote the ".BIZ" outside of the domainer community, correct? :blink:

The word "Extension" is, if you think about it, a domainer / insider term, IMHO ... for your purposes of grander promotion(s), you would likely be best to find something more global and higher profile in nature, in my view. :music:

In short, I concur with this observation above ... :lala:
cache said:
Extension.biz does not sound much related, others don't fit either. Try buy a good one from someone.

Just my two sense.
-Jeff B-)

•••
I REALLY appreciate everyones input as I am doing this to give back to domaining. I don't have alot of money to throw out for a domain like directory.biz or your.biz. I am going to move forward for RIGHT NOW with Extension.biz, like i said for the moment, if someone wants to donate a better name to the cause then i would consider switching.

I started a little with the site today.

Here is my plan; ( feel free to offer advice or throw some thoughts in )

For the moment the site will be extension.biz

It will include the following:
A directory of dotBIZ domains which people can input in the directory by copying code to put on a single page of there website. By putting the code into there site it will confirm the following:
A) They have access to the site they signed up for the directory
B) it is NOT a parked page
C) the code will only return a positive on a dotbiz extension
D) It will help the cause through the link exchange...

There will be a few different options for the link exchange. one of which will be an invisible link leaving no logo or actual clickable link on there site. Another option will be a little logo which i will create which will hopefully give a universal face to the dotbiz domain.

Another Section will be a "Daily Featured Site" with a different site featured everyday.

Another Section would be news articles on the dotbiz extension.

I am thinking about adding a section where users can submit articles....

That is just some of what I would like to put on it. INPUT FROM EVERYONE IS WELCOME. IDEAS ARE WELCOME. DONATES OF TIME OR SKILL ARE WELCOME....

**** THIS WILL BE A TOTALLY FREE SERVICE AND I HAVE NO INTENTION OF ADS or SPONSORSHIP right now UNLESS I truly feel it will help the cause...

•••
SMBGeek said:
I REALLY appreciate everyones input as I am doing this to give back to domaining. I don't have alot of money to throw out for a domain like directory.biz or your.biz. I am going to move forward for RIGHT NOW with Extension.biz, like i said for the moment, if someone wants to donate a better name to the cause then i would consider switching.

i can offer you the use of peek.biz (as in take a peek at what .biz has to offer), however i wouldn't want to give up ownership.

nice idea btw!

•••
I really appreciate your offer for peek.biz. It is very kind of you and hopefully one day when .biz is recognized as a truly valuable domain it will be very valuable. As I am sure you understand I wouldn't want to spend my time and money into a marketing name without ownership, especially when this site won't pay anything.

Seriously I APPRECIATE the offer very much through.

Another QUICK THING...

I am going to add a search engine that only searches .BIZ domains. The problem currently is that I can use Google Custom Search BUT it displays ads... Once this site gets going I will pay to have the ads removed....

Anybody know any other ways?

•••
SMBGeek said:
I don't have alot of money to throw out for a domain like directory.biz or your.biz.
Lot of money? But you stated...

SMBGeek said:
I don't know many gtlds that you can register single word domains, and have little to no aftermarket...
Dot com is king and have a strong market. Markets for the others g/ccTLD have the similar level and that can not be compared to .com. Just check do the first 10 or 20 Alexa top rated website own their domain in dot biz extension. Yeah sure, they just protect their brand :blink:

•••
To non-domainers the word "extension" has meanings other than "domain extensions"; it means reaching out, making widely available, expanding, etc. I think extension.biz would be a good name for his project.

•••
Thanks for the positive words...

•••
I got the .BIZ warm & fuzzies ... keep up the good work, everyone! :music: :p:

250 NP$'s at the ready as the project needs it, as well! :gl:
-Jeff B-)

•••
This thread makes me wonder about the value of .biz Let's say you had a generic one-word .biz, a word that's used a lot in speech. About what do you think it'd be worth? I'm wondering to get an idea as to how good/bad the .biz ext is.

•••
ajkula said:
Lot of money? But you stated...

Dot com is king and have a strong market. Markets for the others g/ccTLD have the similar level and that can not be compared to .com. Just check do the first 10 or 20 Alexa top rated website own their domain in dot biz extension. Yeah sure, they just protect their brand :blink:

Agreed dotCOM king and I doubt it will ever be dethroned. I picked up extension.biz the other day because it expired. Yes I said there was no aftermarket and there is a reason. because the person who has directory.biz is not going to sell it for next to nothing becuase it is a premium single word domain.

I am trying to create value in this extension. I know what I do won't change the world but if I can get the word out and produce a place where people like me ( a web designer ) can tell people to go. example

client: " I have never heard of the dotbiz extension wouldn't it be better if I had DavesAirConditioningCompanyinChicago.com" over "ChicagoAC.biz"?

me: "Well it is your business so it is your call, my recommendation would be to check out this site, extension.biz, there is information there on the extension along with a list of 1000s of other .biz sites that promote and run a business off of their site."

That is just an example of a service I want this site to provide...

•••
SMBGeek check your PM for a possible suggestion. A short 6-letter generic 1-word .biz that is available. It may not apply perfectly but, thought I would offer it anyway

•••
Jeff said:
I got the .BIZ warm & fuzzies ... keep up the good work, everyone! :music: :p:

250 NP$'s at the ready as the project needs it, as well! :gl:
-Jeff B-)

Awesome thank you soo much. I am thinking it might be useful once the site is up and running to get other NP to click on the site through the forums thing we you can pay 1 Np for a click or something...

Anyone know to to modify a joomla search feature to search only .biz extensions? If not I will work on it over the weekend...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back