IT.COM

.biz The .biz extension

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
We all knows .com is king but I wanna know whats your view on .biz domains. I believe some people tend to view .BIZ as slightly shady, and perhaps it is because of some phishing attempts with .biz names similar to the .coms or the amount of spam sites with .biz extension. Is it true that .biz was viewed as 'second rate' extension? And do you think more businesses would adopt .biz in the future? Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Have made more off a .biz than I have a .info and this was before the .info freebies. I don't think phishers or spammers have a prefered extension. Thats kind of like a drunk driver having a prefered car.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I believe that my love for .US is matched only by mole's love for .BIZ, and I take comfort in knowing he's around to fight the good fight, and dispel the nasty rumors. :)

:great:

•••
•••
I personally am not a great fan of .biz. But I have to admit that for some domains the extension fits nicely (see my sig).

•••
there are many hosts using .biz domain and I think it will get more poppular in the future.

•••
I'll only reg one when I find it attractive enough, like hotstocks.biz ;)

•••
I don't like .biz much either. Seems like another silly TLD. Sure, people and businesses are using it. Some like IBM have no choice but to reg the extension or else get over run by cybersquatters like me. LOL. I do think in time all, yes all TLD's will have their place on the internet. .Com will be Hollywood while .info & .name will be in the slums. Cheers

•••
acronym007 said:
I don't like .biz much either. Seems like another silly TLD. Sure, people and businesses are using it. Some like IBM have no choice but to reg the extension or else get over run by cybersquatters like me. LOL. I do think in time all, yes all TLD's will have their place on the internet. .Com will be Hollywood while .info & .name will be in the slums. Cheers

I am not a great fan of .biz, but i must say, .name is the absolute worst and most useless tld out there IMO, i would take many cctlds b4 .name....although .biz isnt widely admired, i must admit, they are somewhat interesting since many nice keywords are available for reg or can be acquired at a decent price....

•••
acronym007 said:

Apparently you haven't been to Hollywood in the past 30 years. Most of it IS a slum! :)

•••
.Biz is a gTLD that is going to grow old gracefully. It's kind of like the dot org gTLD back in 1997. They were the ugliest things to look at or pronounce. The ".org" name didn't roll off the tongue. No one referred to organizations as ".org's". Over the years, they have been advertised more, and have gained a sense of "belonging" in the domain community. A trusted brand if you will. The same will happen to biz. Only certain ones however will attain limited type in value (example: www.Microsoft.biz, www.Ibm.biz). Even dot org names do not have the type in value of a .com.

One thing to note. It is the generation being born right now that will decide the future of domain naming. They will be the ones who will grow up in a world with many TLD choices. My guess is the TLDs that get advertised the most will get noticed. All businesses and/or industries have to advertise. It's their lifeblood. My bet is .com will still be around in 20 years. Will it be king? Not if they continue to use the domains as PPC pages!

One thing to note: Toolbar technology is going to make things interesting. Instead of making your site SE friendly, we'll be talking about how to make our site "toolbar friendly"--lol!!

Last edited:
•••
izo-pod said:
.Biz is a gTLD that is going to grow old gracefully. It's kind of like the dot org gTLD back in 1997. They were the ugliest things to look at or pronounce. The ".org" name didn't roll off the tongue. No one referred to organizations as ".org's". Over the years, they have been advertised more, and have gained a sense of "belonging" in the domain community. A trusted brand if you will. The same will happen to biz. Only certain ones however will attain limited type in value (example: www.Microsoft.biz, www.Ibm.biz). Even dot org names do not have the type in value of a .com.

One thing to note. It is the generation being born right now that will decide the future of domain naming. They will be the ones who will grow up in a world with many TLD choices. My guess is the TLDs that get advertised the most will get noticed. All businesses and/or industries have to advertise. It's their lifeblood. My bet is .com will still be around in 20 years. Will it be king? Not if they continue to use the domains as PPC pages!

One thing to note: Toolbar technology is going to make things interesting. Instead of making your site SE friendly, we'll be talking about how to make our site "toolbar friendly"--lol!!

BINGO
Experiment ,type in to your favourite Browser and Search engine any High ranked Keyword
Bet you two things
1/ Not every listing on first page is for Keyword.Com
2/ First choice is just as likely to be somecrappyname.anything/keyword.file_ext

With the increased integration of search engines and Browser toolbars ,the Validity of .com being the Automatically selected choice has disappeared.

•••
There is nothing wrong with .biz for development, particularly for small business where .com is not an absolute necessity. But, if the name doesn't fit the extension, it's probably nearly worthless. For speculation, you should also gravitate toward the generic as brandable names are ususally preferred in .com by businesses of all sizes. I don't think .biz is "shady", it's just dominated by speculative domains rather than developed ones right now which gives it abad rep since most parked pages are just PPC which to many seem like spam. I think that will change over time.

I like all the gTLD's including com/net/org/info/biz as long as the extension fits. I also like .us (or your own ccTLD) which really fits just about anything since it's categorized by geography rather than site type.

•••
I know for a fact that spamassassin adds points to emails that have a .biz link in them, making it more likely to get snapped up by a spam filter.

I would take that into consideration if you plan to use email marketing especially, or even if you intend to use a newsletter.

•••
Domains fit in with their extension when choosen right. Will you say that computer.biz or comic.biz as being shady domains? I doubt so. Because the perfect combination makes the whole domain sensible, developable and valuable.

Flora.

•••
MissFlora said:
Domains fit in with their extension when choosen right. Will you say that computer.biz or comic.biz as being shady domains? I doubt so. Because the perfect combination makes the whole domain sensible, developable and valuable.

Flora.

I didn't say I trust a .biz domain less than a .com domain. My trust comes from the verification path of the site's certificate(s). I just mentioned that the spamassassin people do, so it's something to consider.

•••
.biz = :td:

there very unbrandable i think

•••
.COM says to me COMommerical, COMputer and COMpany and is obviously best as these three words are relevant to a lot of different elements of a website
.NET says to me Internet. This seems very important as a website is all about the internet.
.ORG is often associated with not-for-profit groups with great international reputations and so I think that these organisations keep the profile of .ORG up high and hence this name holds respect
.INFO is all about INFOrmation which is the most desired resource on the internet and so this is a great extension
.BIZ I see as the little brother of .COM. BIZ says business. It doesn't demand the same level of respect as .COM but it appeals to the cheap frank business man. It says I'm your average Joe who wants a chance at running a business but can't get the best domain name. .BIZ definately has it's place. If I see a .BIZ on a website it says to me, I'm small and cheap and so it appeals to part of me that wants the small guy to be given a chance. .BIZ will always be cheap but it definately has it's strengths B-)

•••
Don't forget .ws for WebSite :) I actually like this one but seems to be shunned by people. I have fifaworldcup.ws and it looks like a great address for a world cup website.

.biz? Well, like VURG mentioned, it has it's place although it sounds a little cheap.

•••
TheLegendaryJP said:
What is the value of a .biz keyword when compared with the .com ?

my guess would be 1% (ruff estimate which can vary)

1 000 000$ com : 10 000$ biz
100 000$ com : 1 000$ biz
10 000$ com : 100$ biz
1 000$ com : 10$ biz

•••
i hate biz i think becasue still people not used to it becasue i never try a domain name .biz
all i try .com then .org then .net
i never thought of tring biz i think such extentions which r not very commenly used chould be much cheaper than other

•••
edmarriner said:
.biz = :td:

there very unbrandable i [think]

I [think], therefore I am...

As more and more people go online to "strike" it rich, there will be a need for domain names. Remember at least 50 percent of workers absolutely hate what they do .Biz is positioned particularly well to take advantage of this situation. I think if you have a decent .biz name, you are that much better off. Acronyms', industry b2b names, and key word domains that describe a "job" or "profession" should fair well IMHO.

btw: I believe I have a very brandable dot biz name, www.Anywhere.biz Hopefully I will get this $(*&%(&E launched in this millenia!!!

Last edited:
•••
I hate .biz... no, no, I detest .biz! It makes me think of Amway and other high-pressure multi-level marketing crap. Sure, my view is off-base, unfounded and completely asinine, but it's MY view of the crappy .biz extension. I have never bought one, I have never even considered buying one and will NEVER do so. I hate .biz!

With that said...

You guys make me think that maybe I should buy one or two just so I can feel like a real domainer. :hehe:

•••
I have some .biz, but eh...
I dun think they are highly valuable :P
at least better than .cc

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back