IT.COM

discuss A Domain in .Net is Taken and .Com Going to Expire

NameSilo
Watch

Ramzan Ali

Established Member
Impact
Hello Fellows,

Please advise me If a company is using .net extension and it has established a website on it But that name in .Com going to expire and is in the auction. Could he buy .Com from us if we win that in the auction?

Please share your thoughts and experience.

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
yes but if they didnt??
will u have other options or can u see more buyers for that name?
if not then i wouldnt suggest to buy .
dont buy any name just because of only one enduser..
if they dont buy and u can see other possibilities with name then no problem.. :)

•••
Yes, there is only one potential buyer and it is a geo domain.

•••
While a sale is certainly possible (assuming not TM issue) just because they use a .net does not guarantee they will pay much for .com. I would think they would be wise to pay something to at least redirect it, but many companies, even if it would be in long term interest, do not like to change domain names. Also, in some cases the .net works just fine, especially if it has meaning (i.e. some sort of network is involved).

Bob

•••
While a sale is certainly possible (assuming not TM issue) just because they use a .net does not guarantee they will pay much for .com. I would think they would be wise to pay something to at least redirect it, but many companies, even if it would be in long term interest, do not like to change domain names. Also, in some cases the .net works just fine, especially if it has meaning (i.e. some sort of network is involved).

Bob

Let's suppose If nashvilleautorepair.net is taken and we win nashvilleautorepair.com in auction what would be your suggestion in this case?

•••
Let's suppose If nashvilleautorepair.net is taken and we win nashvilleautorepair.com in auction what would be your suggestion in this case?
I see definite higher value in the .com than the .net in that situation (unless it was a network of auto repair places, a reference site). But others are far more expert than me in this regard. Outside of a few travel names I don't do any geo at all personally. Best wishes.
Bob

Last edited:
•••
I see definite higher value in the .com than the .net in that situation (unless it was a network of auto repair places, like a reference site). But others are far more expert than me in this regard. Outside of a few travel names I don't do any geo at all personally. Best wishes.
Bob

Yes, its not a network site it is just a local business and trademark free. BTW thanks for your reply.

•••
Waiting for other geo domains expert reply.

•••
Any .NET name is a Free Advertising for who has the .COM

•••
there is only one potential buyer and it is a geo domain.
it is just a local business and trademark free.
I would leave it. If it's a local business that's been trading under the name then they might very well have rights to it whether registered or not. Then who else could you sell it to?

•••
I would leave it. If it's a local business that's been trading under the name then they might very well have rights to it whether registered or not. Then who else could you sell it to?
Got your point. Thanks for reply

•••
Just my thoughts..
Depending on how high the auction is.
If I can get it at a reasonable price (mid XXX), I would get it.
Hold it for a few months and then offer to the "net" site for high XXX.

•••
Hi

ever stop to think, that previous owner of that .com may have tried same notion you have..... and it didn't work?

or
if the .com was getting any residual traffic from the .net, would the owner have dropped it?

and, since it's local company, they really don't need .com, if customers already know their url

so, you already have three possible reasons why they may not be interested
and... if you thought of making a killing with a big sale, that may be another reason why they would pass.

just saying.....

imo...

•••
In my experience, they're more likely to not be interested in the name. Don't buy it just for the one potential buyer.

Like @biggie said above... many local/community based businesses rely so little on website traffic to drive business (or at least they don't see any reliance), that they won't even care to spend a few hundred to upgrade the name. As long as they have some kind of online presence, they're happy.

Last edited:
•••
yes, if it is quite small company, their only purpose to have a website is to have a homepage make them looks better, like a company...their busienss is not really benifit from this website, so, they may not really care about it...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back