Dynadot

debate .NET is a side chick domain extension...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Yeah you heard me right.

I wan't to see the domain industry flourish so i don't always voice my opinions if it's not for something but i think healthy discussions can be beneficial, even for me. I'm always learning.

The other day while networking, a young lady told me she wanted to buy her own birth name but a company owned it and was asking about $700 for it. The first company came to mind was buydomains.com and after researching it I was right. Luckily for her they dropped it and she was finally able to take ownership. Anyway that's not the point of this thread.

What she said next was what I kept saying over and over. She said(to paraphrase), "People keep bringing up .net but I just can't settle for that, i want a dotcom" And she was just upset someone would take her name. The young man next to her agreed and said: " what's that anyways(speaking of .net)" and said "I would even take a .org because it is established for organization" And these are everyday people who are not domainers or anything connected. Just people who would start blogs or startups.

What they said was exactly my thoughts. .NET is nothing more than a side chick and your real woman or man is a .COM. Some domainers like to back it up but I'm calling it out. Before you back it up: show me your .net business site?
Yeah I thought so. You don't even believe in it to use it for your main brand or site. The real reason you back it up is because you own a couple liquid .nets that can be traded between domainers.

The next argument is ohh, but .net is old and has more registrations than .org etc.. so that makes it second.. The truth is even a .org is more established because everyone even non domainers know what it's for. The real grade we should use to determine what is second to .com is not registrations but how many sites are built in proportion to registered domains. That will tell you the real truth.. Apart from media.net(when i was searching hard to find an alternative to adsense), It's been over a year since i have ran into a .net website/legitimate business?

I have even seen .com and .net available but .org registered? That baffled me..That say's even .org is more solid for someone to not care about the .com. But that's a side observation. I own a dotnet and I'm not saying you wont sell if you own a dotnet.. It's just very overrated. I guarantee if you go to your non domainer friends or people in the street and ask them what domain extansion they would choose for their business, I guanrantee they would almost all say .com or.org. I only see .net as an internal trading domain ext.. like maybe a lll.net etc..

Honestly, the chinese will have to rescue this extention and give it some life...yes buy the chips. But even that is just internal trading..The chinese have had .net landing pages with nothing on them since the dawn of .net.

This is not an attack just my honest opinion that .NET is side chick.. And that's a compliment, because atleast people use side chicks... ohhhhhhh

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Recovery.net $200,000 Pvt Sale

•••
•••
Yeah you heard me right.

I wan't to see the domain industry flourish so i don't always voice my opinions if it's not for something but i think healthy discussions can be beneficial, even for me. I'm always learning.

The other day while networking, a young lady told me she wanted to buy her own birth name but a company owned it and was asking about $700 for it. The first company came to mind was buydomains.com and after researching it I was right. Luckily for her they dropped it and she was finally able to take ownership. Anyway that's not the point of this thread.

What she said next was what I kept saying over and over. She said(to paraphrase), "People keep bringing up .net but I just can't settle for that, i want a dotcom" And she was just upset someone would take her name. The young man next to her agreed and said: " what's that anyways(speaking of .net)" and said "I would even take a .org because it is established for organization" And these are everyday people who are not domainers or anything connected. Just people who would start blogs or startups.

What they said was exactly my thoughts. .NET is nothing more than a side chick and your real woman or man is a .COM. Some domainers like to back it up but I'm calling it out. Before you back it up: show me your .net business site?
Yeah I thought so. You don't even believe in it to use it for your main brand or site. The real reason you back it up is because you own a couple liquid .nets that can be traded between domainers.

The next argument is ohh, but .net is old and has more registrations than .org etc.. so that makes it second.. The truth is even a .org is more established because everyone even non domainers know what it's for. The real grade we should use to determine what is second to .com is not registrations but how many sites are built in proportion to registered domains. That will tell you the real truth.. Apart from media.net(when i was searching hard to find an alternative to adsense), It's been over a year since i have ran into a .net website/legitimate business?

I have even seen .com and .net available but .org registered? That baffled me..That say's even .org is more solid for someone to not care about the .com. But that's a side observation. I own a dotnet and I'm not saying you wont sell if you own a dotnet.. It's just very overrated. I guarantee if you go to your non domainer friends or people in the street and ask them what domain extansion they would choose for their business, I guanrantee they would almost all say .com or.org. I only see .net as an internal trading domain ext.. like maybe a lll.net etc..

Honestly, the chinese will have to rescue this extention and give it some life...yes buy the chips. But even that is just internal trading..The chinese have had .net landing pages with nothing on them since the dawn of .net.

This is not an attack just my honest opinion that .NET is side chick.. And that's a compliment, because atleast people use side chicks... ohhhhhhh

You sum it up and place it very nicely. Glad that we know each other :)

•••
I have no problem with owning .net's. From what I've seen and read .net's sell on average at 7% of the price as the same name in the .com version. With 2 letter names the price of a .net might be only 2% or 3% of the .com version. That is a huge difference in price.

If the .com is selling for $2,000 to $3,000 and the .net is selling for $900 I'd buy the .com. But if the .com is selling for $50,000 and the .net is priced at $3,500 I'd rather take my chances with the .net.

If you have $10,000 to spend on a domain. You can buy an ok .com or a great .net.

•••
I think .nets had their place and served as an alternative for many people back in the day if the .com option they wanted was taken. I mean back then apart from a geoTLD or an .org the only other alternative was a .net. I guess that was the only purpose they did serve. These days we are spoiled for choice.. If the .com is taken then businesses have range of other options to choose from...(not talking from a domain trading point of view but purely for businesses who want a particular domain name)

•••
Most would agree with you for the time being. I don't. I think fitness.online is better. I also believe that sentiment will shift to my perspective in time. I think that with the type of thinking you have, you'll be left holding the bag on those .COM investments. It is not so simple that I can say all .COM is bad (some will be still be very good investments). To put this simply, any word or phrase that can be utilized better in other extensions will take MOST of the value from the 2nd rate .coms, exactly like your example, fitnessmagazine.com. Fitness.com will always be great, but any 2nd rate words (again, fitnessmagazine) or phrases will lose their value when the word/phrase can be smartly utilized in other extensions.

poster above: "Fitness.news reg fee is 60,000$ so if revenue is also that high thats too expensive" - I agree, that is not sustainable. Fitness just happened to be the topic and I am speaking in general. There are plenty of other opportunities.

I am not contradicting myself either. You might think 'he said night.club is better than nightclub.com, but now he's saying fitness.com is better than fitness.online'. Keep in mind, night.club a totally different thing, it is a domain hack as well...everything is not so straight forward, they're are always dynamics at play.

PS: I should be taking your money for advice like this :P

$60,000 for fitness.news reg fee.... what a joke! It is called a rip-off. A highway robbery.
Just stick with dotcoms and be little creative. No wonder I was able to register PHITNESS.COM.
Simple rule of thumb, buy low sell high and be realistic. Stay away from KOOL-AID ;)

•••
I have no problem with owning .net's. From what I've seen and read .net's sell on average at 7% of the price as the same name in the .com version. With 2 letter names the price of a .net might be only 2% or 3% of the .com version. That is a huge difference in price.

If the .com is selling for $2,000 to $3,000 and the .net is selling for $900 I'd buy the .com. But if the .com is selling for $50,000 and the .net is priced at $3,500 I'd rather take my chances with the .net.

If you have $10,000 to spend on a domain. You can buy an ok .com or a great .net.

Many business think the same especially because they factor in the SEO part of the equation. Even though Google wants you to think that exact match domains are not valued higher anymore, that is not the case. Usually what Google says that doesn't work, works the best ;)

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back