advice 90% of domainers should start over

NameSilo
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Rick Schwartz made a pretty interesting tweet yesterday that I think will bring about a great deal of conversation. Rick stated that 90% of all domain investors should look to reboot. Drop everything and start over again. 90% of every domainer should drop ALL their #Domains and start again! They are so far off the path that it is sad to see. #gtld #Startups — @Rick Schwartz[Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I only been domaining for a few years but I find my self to be in a recycling process all the time weeding out what to keep drop or liquidate. its always a good idea to go evaluate your portfolio every few months. Skills get better with time. I don't know about people 90% of domainers starting over but if your not making money it maybe time for a evaluation on your portfolio.

•••
To me, "Starting Over" is more about rethinking all aspects of my domain business to be most effective and profitable. Certainly that includes refining my portfolio as needed to achieve my goals.

•••
Personally I disagree with this. I put too much time and effort in researching the validity of regging a domain, that if it can't sell it for at least $20-$30 here on NP or somewhere, then I'll just drop it. If someone thinks it's worth them having it, they can pay the $60-70 drop fees to grab it then. (Just my views on this, others may digress.)

i'm in line with this philosophy

i'd rather just let the names drop, so any interested parties can bid for them thru backorder.

imo....

•••
don't let success go to your head ..

•••
It is a very unprofessional comment, why should a domain investor who has spent a lot of time and money selecting and managing the domains, drop all the domains

•••
Donald Trump does the same thing, says something out there to get attention, same situation here.

What happend to the $1M buys, ended up buying $xxx domains, lol

Give the domain king respect, but enough is enough, even he probably thinks the aftermarket is overheated at this point. People are paying end user prices in auction formats, whats the point?

Most domainers are chasing quick money because of what they have seen in media advertised to them, sweetheart stories, the industry is simply not that easy. Let them spend their money, when the end users laugh at their quotes, and they wonder why nobody is buying their domains that they spend thousands acquiring they will get it.

When domainers are paying like $10K for domains like evertrust.com in auctions, something is not right, these names sold for $xx-$xxx not to many years ago. It is very hard to spend 5 figures, if you go thru an exchange you need to sell it for $12K just to break even.

•••
You need to develop a habit for research and reading. It has helped me the most and it is the best advise I can offer.

Great post +1 for this comment on everything in life.

•••
Isn't the intelligent investor one of Warren buffetts favourite books? He being one of the world's best investors

Didn't Bill Gates talk Warren Buffet and other billionaires to give all their money away now? Thought I heard something about that a while ago....

•••
http://www.domainking.com/

Wow...not for nothing, and being new and all at this, but looking on his list of recent acquisitions, I suddenly found hope in my list of 600 unregistered domain names and certain that I have some gems now. If the "King" is purchasing "NoOneCares.com" then I know my list is pretty darn good!

Glad I read this...many of the names I come up with are not that far off from what he is actively purchasing. It also further confuses me about all this talk about "if nobody registered it by now, you have to ask yourself why..." kind of stuff. I have at least ten (and probably many more) names that blows NoOneCares.com away.

Thanks for the reading :)

•••
why drop them,so I can reg them in the future again, Ive actually done that with qiuete a few names,
Joe T

•••
•••
•••
•••
If the "King" is purchasing "NoOneCares.com" then I know my list is pretty darn good!

NoOneCare .com is paying zilch-attention to its slogan "No One Cares, but we do".

Good guerilla marketing example.

•••
It is a very unprofessional comment, why should a domain investor who has spent a lot of time and money selecting and managing the domains, drop all the domains
I think, it is a message for holders of 2/3-word domains...

•••
Didn't Bill Gates talk Warren Buffet and other billionaires to give all their money away now? Thought I heard something about that a while ago....

Yes which would make investing pointless if giving nearly all of it away but then again if it wasn't nearly all being given away etc how much of it could they keep if they wanted to keep all of it? Barely 50% I'd have thought but I reckon it could achieve much more at the b+m g foundation

•••
Hm, Ricks vanity is hurt here on NP and now she bleeding :)
Btw. every one of us "start over" from time to time when comes renewal period :)

•••
Could say that about any career choice there are lots of people that are crap at their job.

•••
Yes, but at least employees get their check at the end of the month regardless of actual performance :)

•••
Who is Rick Schwartz and why should I listen to him?
If a guy was lucky enough to buy a domain in 1990's and now be rich because no one else registered it then, doesn't make that guy a good domainer.
I don't know if this is the case, buy buh-bye :) you are nothing to me, maybe me to you as well, but I don't care :)

•••
I personally have witnessed the concept of buying and selling domain names for profit take shape over the years and it continues to develop and evolve. "Domaining" as a speculative investment has been and is, just that, speculative investing. The amount of money that a buyer is willing to pay for a domain name is dependent on a wide range of factors that also continue to evolve.

As with any investment, there is risk, there will be losses, there will be great gains for some. I am continually surprised by domains that sell and the prices they sell for. I have yet to find a pattern though, that I could see having much, if any, bearing three, four or more years from now.

Rick definitely has experience with domain transactions far beyond probably 99% of people that invest money in domains. I would not have expected Rick to say anything other than what he said. Honestly, I think I know what Rick would say, what Shane would say, what Andrew would say, what Michael Cyger would ask :), and so on.

Bottom line is if this was a competition, right now Rick would probably win. As for the future, who knows. But it's not a competition, it's investing. I listen, analyze, and make my decisions. I always appreciate the sharing of insights. At the end of the day, each investor makes their own decision. This is just stuff that makes investing interesting.

Last edited:
•••
from my point of view and with my all respect to rick schwartz, this is the worst advice can someone give to domain business, simply if you drop 90% of names the market will drop 90% in short time because lot of similar domains will be available to hand reg.

•••
Were I to start again, I wouldn't start from here - I'd go back a few years. :)

•••
I only been domaining for a few years but I find my self to be in a recycling process all the time weeding out what to keep drop or liquidate. its always a good idea to go evaluate your portfolio every few months. Skills get better with time. I don't know about people 90% of domainers starting over but if your not making money it maybe time for a evaluation on your portfolio.

Definitely true. Every month I review/renew my domains about to expire in the coming month and decide whether to renew or drop. I set a goal for this year to drop at least 10% every month. I am easily exceeding my goal :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back