IT.COM

news 89 of The Top 100 New gTLD Domain Holders Are From China

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
We have chatted about the growing influence of Chinese domain investors in the domain industry before, however today I checked out ntldstats.com to review the top 100 largest holders of new gTLD domain names and found 89 of the top 100 domain holders are from China.
Discounting registrants of new gTLD’s that are registries or associated with them, leaves only 5 domain holders out of the top 100 that are not from China.
I would argue having 95% of your top customers in any global industry, residing in one country is a problem, and being that they are in China is a bigger problem...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Will they renew. ICANN says 50% will renew in 2017 and also has projected a 47% growth rate for that year.
The investors have picked it up, as a major positive sign. Been reading some of their posts.
Seems everyone is chasing past glories, calling it the new web Big Bang but it sounds like a whimper, outside the domaining village.

•••
We own Gambler.cn FloodInsurance.cn and DietPlans.cn All headed to China one day I would assume.

•••
We own Gambler.cn FloodInsurance.cn and DietPlans.cn All headed to China one day I would assume.
Why would they want english words when they have pinyin

•••
Why would they want english words when they have pinyin
Because the .cn is as well known as .com in China and the english is known worldwide-we also have about 25 pinyin names in .com

•••
Because the .cn is as well known as .com in China and the english is known worldwide-we also have about 25 pinyin names in .com
I would expect you will do much better with the pinyin.coms. I will say having spent a lot of time in China that Businesses that are international facing do use English words but they are manufacturing product based words. Steel Plastic Mold Chemicals that sort of thing. Business to consumers use mainly numbers and sometimes pinyin but rarely and I cant remember one that uses English - no doubt there is one out there but one swallow doesn't mean its summer

•••
I would expect you will do much better with the pinyin.coms. I will say having spent a lot of time in China that Businesses that are international facing do use English words but they are manufacturing product based words. Steel Plastic Mold Chemicals that sort of thing. Business to consumers use mainly numbers and sometimes pinyin but rarely and I cant remember one that uses English - no doubt there is one out there but one swallow doesn't mean its summer
Thank you but I really doubt we'll have a hard time selling Gambler.cn I assume you know that .cn is the larget selling top level code in the world-not .com.

•••
MaChinese - what do they know that we do not

•••
•••
We have chatted about the growing influence of Chinese domain investors in the domain industry before, however today I checked out ntldstats.com to review the top 100 largest holders of new gTLD domain names and found 89 of the top 100 domain holders are from China.
Discounting registrants of new gTLD’s that are registries or associated with them, leaves only 5 domain holders out of the top 100 that are not from China.
I would argue having 95% of your top customers in any global industry, residing in one country is a problem, and being that they are in China is a bigger problem...
Read More
Many of these Chinese people who have amassed tones of black money. The Chinese government has been cracking down on them and banned out flux of cash flow. That money, being used to buy luxury estates in Australia, Europe, and the United States in the past, is going now towards virtual real estate. Let's wait and see when it comes to renewals! :D

•••
I am new to the "domaining industry" but I been around awhile. My guess is that they already got yer dough...

•••
The real question is whether these registrars/owners/controllersOfNames(addresses) are going to be successful in implementing their new business model, which appears to be charging RENT for a "Premium" name(address), just like bricks&mortar landlords do. (The mindset of landlords is way wrong. "We are not overbuilt. We are under demolished." The marketplace is going to demolish this incorrect mindset.) As a developer, I will ALWAYS find something cute rather than pay thru the nose. And Corporations are done being "blackmailed" by a "wise guy name industry". The value of a name accrues to the efforts of those who design, build, promote, etc. True about any " Brand". (I want to acquire "Creamette" ...)

•••
The real question is whether these registrars/owners/controllersOfNames(addresses) are going to be successful in implementing their new business model, which appears to be charging RENT for a "Premium" name(address), just like bricks&mortar landlords do. (The mindset of landlords is way wrong. "We are not overbuilt. We are under demolished." The marketplace is going to demolish this incorrect mindset.) As a developer, I will ALWAYS find something cute rather than pay thru the nose. And Corporations are done being "blackmailed" by a "wise guy name industry". The value of a name accrues to the efforts of those who design, build, promote, etc. True about any " Brand". (I want to acquire "Creamette" ...)
I'm not sure Rick Schwartz designed promoted or built anything other than the risk he took and gumption to hold on for years and he just sold 989.com for almost $1million.

•••
A great many developers are NOT "bootstrappers" and will pay the big bucks for what they want. Lucky Rick RISK=REWARD. But if I get to the new planet first and thereby own all the real estate, I still have to convince everyone that it is Primo.....
;)

•••
A great many developers are NOT "bootstrappers" and will pay the big bucks for what they want. Lucky Rick RISK=REWARD. But if I get to the new planet first and thereby own all the real estate, I still have to convince everyone that it is Primo.....
;)
I think i'd call him very smart not lucky.

•••
For every Rick Schwartz who got the big payoff for being smart, for being on the risk, or whatever, I will wager there are multitudes of smart people who are still on the risk and still waiting (I include myself in this group).

•••
"Possession is Eleven Points of the Law. And there are but Twelve." - Scottish

•••
And even dumb, stupid, idiots who win the lotto are smart. They were smart enough to pick the winning number ;)

•••
I wouldnt mind to give them sousou.cloud, xinxi.cloud and juxing.cloud. lol

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back