IT.COM

advice 3 tips for startup founders negotiating their own domain name deals

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Today I was talking to a startup founder who was trying to figure out the best way to negotiate a deal for a domain name she wanted to buy. She was in a situation that I think many founders find themselves in, they know they want a specific domain, but don’t know the best way to reach-out and start the process of making a deal happen.
Don’t play the, “I need this domain for a student project” card. Seriously, people can see through this and starting a business deal with a lie is never a great move. Also leading your email with, “I’m a startup with a small budget” also won’t get you very far. Instead keep it short and sweet, let them know you want to but the domain and make a reasonable offer.
Last but not least, whatever you do don’t insult the domain owner, call them a squatter, or claim that they’re “not doing anything with the domain” because if you do that you’ll either lose the deal or the price will get a whole lot higher. Hope this helps, now go get that domain!..
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back