IT.COM

discuss 2020 Predictions for the Domain Industry

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Every year the top domain brokers and investors make their predictions for the coming year.

Let's make our predictions about domain name investing for 2020.

What do you think will happen? What do you think will be popular? What changes do you think will occur?

What new products/services will be unveiled in 2020.

I'm really interested to hear what NamePros members predict.

Make your predictions here and let's see what happens in 2020!

We have so many great minds here on NP. I look forward to learning from these predictions.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nothing. Absolutely nothing new will happen in 2020 that is distinguishably different from 2019. The same trends will continue like strong getting stronger (com), weak becoming weaker (ngtlds, .net, .co), ICANN being further hijacked by interest groups against common interest etc.

Years like 2015, e.g., where people managed pump and dump schemes that impacted everyone are rare.

•••
New GTLD operators will further consolidate their ownership. It is hard to survive selling something that almost nobody really wants or needs (on a global scale), and the current numbers are already too low (excluding $0.99 first year promotions).

The most vocal opponents of new gTLDs keep pitching the discredited claim of dotcom supremacy.

tonyk2000 is pitching an even more ludicrous variant of this fallacy: "... almost nobody really wants or needs" new gTLDs. Why keep repeating this lie? Motivated reasoning and greed?

New gTLDs are doing far better than tonyk2000 and other new gTLD deniers will admit.

32,407,732 new gTLD domain name registrants can’t all be wrong.
https://ntldstats.com/tld

2019 was a good year for .app TLD.

.app top-level domain registrations close out 2019 strong, up 72% in 12 months.
https://ntldstats.com/tld/app

Twenty percent (20%) of Top Ten highest value new gTLD sales in 2019 have been .app domain names.
https://namepros.com/blog/new-extension-domains-reach-30-million-registrations.1168756/

.app ranks 9th on the Top-10 list of new gTLDs, by number of pages/files indexed by Google.

I believe 2020 will be a great year for .app.

•••
I believe 2020 will be a great year for .app
I sincerely wish best of luck to all ngtld investors, .app including. Especially with the portfolio renewals... As for dot app, yeah it is short and mobile apps are actively developing, but lets say namebio.com reports just 51 aftermarket sales in dot app so far. Registration was open in May 2018, so this particular ngtld is 1.5 years old already. It may well be that namebio is underreporting aftermarket sales though... Dot app is actually one of the best ngtlds, may have some future, at least it is not .horse :) The time will tell...

Last edited:
•••
I Predict...

Good Names....

Will Sell :)

Last edited:
•••
I think 2020 will be the year where many more transactions will be done with payment plans. Especially if the best .com domains keep on becoming more expensive, paying in installments should be a good option for many smaller and mid-sized companies.

DAN, Epik and Escrow.com already offer them, and it seems Sedo is considering doing the same. Who knows, maybe even GoDaddy will follow suit?

Partial domain ownership by domain investors could also get a breakthrough. DAN plans to offer this using blockchain technology.

I think it is safe to say 2020 will be another interesting year for domain investors!

•••
•••
Epik.com will buy NamePros.com

•••
I predict

1. Flippa.com will be dead and buried for domainers.

2. Sedo will make changes and become worse than before.

3. Estibot will finally become irrelevant.

4. My first 6-figure sales will happen in early 2020 😊

5. There'll be Christmas again on the 25th December.

•••
I see continued consolidation and near monopolies in some elements of domaining, even though I wish it was not that way.
I agree and realizing that these big players are not only for the best of players like us there will be more competition by other companies, newcomers and growing existing players. Remember that some of the "old" market leaders show signs of satiety and negligence, too.

Wow, that is only a thread comment, waiting for that promised post of yours...
Thinking of near monopolies another prediction is that blog posts of @Bob Hawkes will either be limited to a certain number of words or forced to be the final comments to threads just to leave room for own ideas by other members.
Needless to say this is no critics but winking appreciation. (y)

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
In 2020 everyone will dream about having his own domain, all the extensions will be popular and cost a fortune, and all domainers will make more sales then Santa Claus. And this is not a joke, I've got a feeling this is seriously going to happen.
And now time to celebrate - I wish you all an amazing night and a Happy New Domainers Year!

•••
New gtld sales (reported overall) will probably continue to decline, based on the decline this year. Overall reg numbers should drop, that's just because they took a little jump up due to discounting, what usually follows is a drop the following year when renewal time comes up. Then more thinning of portfolios. We're in year 5 or so, so those invested should be getting a feel for what is working for them.

I do think a brand new forum will probably arise, just because this is a big business, there were 2 mainstream, active domain forums when I started, now just 1.

Probably blogs will get a bit more active, more domaining talk, less promotion.

Probably some big drama threads/leaks next year, from ex-employees of some companies.

I would like to predict Efty finally goes thru the suggestion thread and starts knocking them out, like more front page customization, picking more than one category etc. but I would probably be wrong.

Mostly more of the same.

•••
1. People with less than 200 posts will NOT stop publishing screen shots of GD valuations under $1500.

2. Pot Domains will still not generate any sales.

3. I'll be lucky to get more than 1.5% more percentile points at SquadHelp.

4. First Adopters will still be considered to be branch naming experts at SquadHelp, and can add 20+ domains per competition because they all have 500,000+ points that no new members can ever catch up to, meaning that they can take a -25 point per domain spam hit in each contest and even ensure their continued dominance because they will be rewarded for their increased activity on the platform.

5. I will NOT be transferring any of my renewable Premium Domains to Squadhelp.

6. Brandpa will NOT answer any new enquiries within 3 months to add to their mystique as an exclusive marketplace, albeit self inflated.

7. New services will cull innefficient old ones and be adopted immediately by us who wait for them.

8. My .best domains will be dropped after all the hype and I will not be going back there, as will the few other gTLDs I invested in.

9. I will feel like an old hand reading the forum next year after all I have learned in late 2018 - 2019.

Last edited:
•••
In the first week of 2020 a new digital standard, called ATSC 3.0, officially launches in the U.S., in 60+ broadcast TV markets. In the longtail stream of things, I predict ATSC 3.0 aka Next Gen TV will most impact domains, and domaining, than anything else that happens in 2020.

In short, beyond the current 1080 HDTV standard being upgraded to UHD 4K TV, with better immersive audio tech, the signal will be 20% stronger and, more importantly, will become an IP (Internet Protocol) based broadcast TV signal. This means it can broadcast direct to cell phones, etc., skipping the 'data caps' and buffer delays.

Of course, the new chip will be in the new phones, TVs, cars etc. so there's that. But those devices will begin entering the market in 2020. 'Old tech' will be able to get a 'dongle', and the old digital standard will be around for what they estimate will be a four year transition.

Perhaps the most powerful tool for 'domains' while then be the ability to not only geo target broadcast TV signals to deliver Emergency Alerts by specific households 'in the path', but (as I pointed-out to Advanced Television Association members, who developed the standard, -when they honored me with 'Observer Status' earlier this year);

It also means they could use IP protocol to create sub-channels, in the signal, that target specific domains, or extensions, just like street addresses. And as these are 'public airwaves' this can lead to the democratization of commercial television... because when you get down to it, I said, "airspace is namespace. The 'call letters' are the common denominator that will define this future marketplace." (I could feel the GASP!... of some Association members (many are Network TV owners). One replied, we don't want that! "If you want to compete with Google's adwords and YouTube you do" I replied.

•••
It also means they could use IP protocol to create sub-channels, in the signal, that target specific domains, or extensions,
Sounds very exciting. Can you elaborate on it? Thanks

•••
1. People with less than 200 posts will NOT stop publishing screen shots of GD valuations under $1500.

2. Pot Domains will still not generate any sales.

3. I'll be lucky to get more than 1.5% more percentile points at SquadHelp.

4. First Adopters will still be considered to be branch naming experts at SquadHelp, and can add 20+ domains per competition because they all have 500,000+ points that no new members can ever catch up to, meaning that they can take a -25 point per domain spam hit in each contest and even ensure their continued dominance because they will be rewarded for their increased activity on the platform.

5. I will NOT be transferring any of my renewable Premium Domains to Squadhelp.

6. Brandpa will NOT answer any new enquiries within 3 months to add to their mystique as an exclusive marketplace, albeit self inflated.

7. New services will cull innefficient old ones and be adopted immediately by us who wait for them.

8. My .best domains will be dropped after all the hype and I will not be going back there, as will the few other gTLDs I invested in.

9. I will feel like an old hand reading the forum next year after all I have learned in late 2018 - 2019.

Almost forgot...

10. I predict that my wife will make her first domain sale in 2020 and probably even join the NP forum if she feels she has time for it.

https://www.squadhelp.com/domain-portfolio/Loka Girl/813923

•••
Sounds very exciting. Can you elaborate on it? Thanks

It is very exciting. I tend to think ATSC 3.0 is actually Web 3.0 -as 83% of internet traffic is video. One thing that dampens my excitement is 99.9% percent of 'domaining' is non-video. And, while this is a great thread topic, the reality is these annual ritual conversations always focus on what the marketplace in the coming year is going to do to us, as opposed to what domainers will make happen in the marketplace.

To elaborate on Next Gen TV, for example, if 20% of domainers embedded a shared content video player on 20% of their unsold domains it would become the largest distributed video screen network, and get the attention of the broadcast TV and film industry where the 'number of screens' is a TV & box office metric.
Though the keyword data-point nature of a domain TV network would be its distinctive value to media producers and advertisers.

Next Gen TV broadcasters will digitally partition their spectrum, connect real-time IP encoders, and transmit a mix of sub-channels alongside the main 'Network' programming. The programs can be targeted and interactive... just like you can watch internet TV and chat alongside. Though Next Gen TV will be a bit more powerful, and 'scary' to some... as it can 'wake up' your devices (turn them on). This was done primarily for the new Emergency Alert system, Called AWARN (.org). But it will be used for ads as well.

The bottom line is... they have the tech ready to go, they just don't know how best to use it.

•••
Next Gen TV broadcasters will digitally partition their spectrum, connect real-time IP encoders, and transmit a mix of sub-channels alongside the main 'Network' programming. The programs can be targeted and interactive... just like you can watch internet TV and chat alongside. Though Next Gen TV will be a bit more powerful, and 'scary' to some... as it can 'wake up' your devices (turn them on). This was done primarily for the new Emergency Alert system, Called AWARN (.org). But it will be used for ads as well.

The bottom line is... they have the tech ready to go, they just don't know how best to use it.

"Smith, 6079 Smith, W"

Just great! Internet takes us another step closer to full blown Oligarchical Collectivism.:xf.eek:

Last edited:
•••
Oligarchy is a form of power structure in which power rests with a small number of people.
Collectivism is a value that is characterized by emphasis on cohesiveness among individuals.

Next Gen TV is a voluntary standard, that can actually democratize the current mass broadcasting signals.

•••
More fake offers - my first offer of the year from Madison, Wisconsin on a one-word .com was an amusing US$1 billion. If I accept, what happens next?

•••
Watching and Learning from celebration of 2020 New Year, with full of (manual) Fireworks that spend a lot of money,
I think in 2020 many companies will develop Holographic Fireworks, for new year celebration in future year.
Congrats for domainers who own HolographicFireworks or Holo + Firework/s, etc.

It is only my prediction.
Thanks

•••
Oligarchy is a form of power structure in which power rests with a small number of people.
Collectivism is a value that is characterized by emphasis on cohesiveness among individuals.

Next Gen TV is a voluntary standard, that can actually democratize the current mass broadcasting signals.
Dude I've been waiting to see democracy for 50+ years, and all I see is the little that there was (doing stuff before mass surveillance was created) is disappearing faster by the day. Some people think they are escaping by living off the grid (only really applies to tribes in the depth of the amazon), but we're all gonna end up in the factory no matter what way you look at it.

This is just another control mechanism and don't you forget it. There are no true philanthropists.

553274_1004521186230357_5924170160665045748_n.jpg

Last edited:
•••
More fake offers - my first offer of the year from Madison, Wisconsin on a one-word .com was an amusing US$1 billion. If I accept, what happens next?
I have had similar. Maybe the market is starting to pick up!!!

•••
Dude I've been waiting to see democracy for 50+ years, and all I see is the little that there was (doing stuff before mass surveillance was created) is disappearing faster by the day. Some people think they are escaping by living off the grid (only really applies to tribes in the depth of the amazon), but we're all gonna end up in the factory no matter what way you look at it.

This is just another control mechanism and don't you forget it. There are no true philanthropists.

Show attachment 140450
It is very inspired.
Thanks

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back