IT.COM

new gtlds 16 new TLDs will get price increases of up to 3,000%

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
We have to be nice to Frank - thats what the bloggers are saying, so can we keep it civil and have sympathy for him, as he is down to his last 100 million

Last edited:
•••
http://www.hosterstats.com/link-website-usage-survey.php

@jmcc

68842_7069beb1f22d176c84ed882fecb3e806.png

•••
It appears as if Uni made a newbie move. Taking on more than they could carry and market. Now is a good time to drop the crap performers.
When a person loses on the integrity of their word everything else follows.
“Our prices are fixed and only indexed to inflation after 5 years.”

"we need to get to 10 years, and to keep the lights on between here and there we need higher prices, without question.”

Huge mistake thinking the fickle domain market will bankroll poor investment decisions.
I would rather see Uni be the first to say "these are crap, we are dropping them"
than see Uni be the first to go bankrupt.

•••
Calm down everybody, you will see more of this coming in different ways. however this is nothing compared to my shocking experience 2 days go, here is what happened:

2 days ago, i wanted to register 1 word .shop, it was available at normal reg $6.99 - $7.99 with standard renewal around $30 as shown on a few different registrars. i put the name in cart and the price was right. BUT before i buy it, i decided to check the same 1 word on .club, also available at standard price for reg and renewal.

Fantastic, i can get both with discount around $10-$12 WOWWWW

Before i make my order i kept on searching for the same keyword on different extensions within different registrars like namesilo.com name.com uniregistry.com and dynadot.com etc, well 10 minutes passed and i could not find a better keyword extension for my 1 word rather than the 2 i got .shop and .club

So i decided to place my order for these 2 domains, here is a big WOWWWWWWWWW,

The .shop went from normal reg price to $11,000-$13,000 registration same goes for renewal at different registrars, the price jumped so high just when i wanted to go ahead with the order. what a shock, just 10 minutes ago i could buy it for $7 now it is $11,000 ? and renewal is also $11,000 ? not even standard renewal ? huh ? how stupid they are ? no one will pay such renewals, yes you can set a premium price for it and keep renewal in standard or acceptance level. that what happens with .club >

Ok faster go get the .club , another big WOWWWWWWWWWWWW, price is not $1,500+ to $1,700+ with standard renewal ! lol , i could have got it for $4 just 10 minutes ago !!!!!

And it was put on sedo for $2,000 with the same B.S message:
"About This Listing , This is a Registry owned Premium Name. The purchase price listed is a one-time amount and .Club renewal fees are LOW! ".

That is not the first time. there are some people in the registry sitting there just to check on your searches and if they find something interesting, they change prices immediately so take it or leave it.

For me, i left both for sure. only a millionaire will pay $11,000 a year for a domain.

.club might still be smart as someone might be willing to pay high reg as long as renewal is standard. but i see .shop as ridiculous and beyond stupidity for such a move.

Last edited:
•••
Oh and about those stupid 16 extensions, the registry just want to collect as much money as possible in short period (before September) for another project maybe and that is by forcing domainers to renew 10 years, that is a huge amount of money. is not it.

As for the price raise, it is no big deal, as $100 in after 10 years will be as little as $10.

And it is also good to get new registrations at such high price of $100-$300 , no harm to make more money.

Anyway that is not scam but somehow misleading and cheating. just dishonesty and greediness.

Last edited:
•••
As betthelot said recently - its the wild wild west out there

•••
just 10 minutes ago i could buy it for $7 now it is $11,000 ? and renewal is also $11,000 ?
Just imagine if you had bought it for $7.00, built a site and branded and promoted it and built up links to it, then went to renew it a few days before expiry and got a shockiing $11,000 showing in your cart. And that is assuming it was not on auto-renewal.

•••
Even though I have bought zero new extensions, I prefer the way .club is handled, because the TLD has a clear purpose and identity and the registry is 100% focused on it vs dozens of crap TLDs hardly anybody wants. To put it differently I like more a registry that nurtures a TLD than a registry that just sells them.
But even the .club registry is competing against domainers.

FS should know better.
All those strings are expensive individually. Instead, you'd rather invest resources in a limited number of strings and promote them right, rather than dilute your promotion budget in low-demand extensions.
That's it, most strings are so bad that they are not worth promoting.

Last edited:
•••
Just imagine if you had bought it for $7.00, built a site and branded and promoted it and built up links to it, then went to renew it a few days before expiry and got a shockiing $11,000 showing in your cart. And that is assuming it was not on auto-renewal.

there have been cases where some got tons of free .berlin domains, set to auto-renewal which resulted in a surprise 10k invoice a year later.

•••
Even though I have bought zero new extensions, I prefer the way .club is handled, because the TLD has a clear purpose and identity and the registry is 100% focused on it vs dozens of crap TLDs hardly anybody wants. To put it differently I like more a registry that nurtures a TLD than a registry that just sells them.
But even the .club registry is competing against domainers.

FS should know better.
All those strings are expensive individually. Instead, you'd rather invest resources on a limited number of strings and promote them right, rather than dilute your promotion budget in low-demand extensions.
That's it, most strings are so bad that they are not worth promoting.

.pics, .christmas, .audio, .lol are not good. who needs these?

looking at the uniregistry applications, most are crap. Better ones are .property, .game, .hosting

Not sure about .cars and .auto? Are they owned by .xyz or Uniregistry?

the reg numbers are really disappointing though.

.property(12k)
.hosting(5k)
.game(2.4k)

I read that Uniregistry spent tens of millions on the new extensions. Makes you wonder were the money went ?

Last edited:
•••
One thing is for sure: in NTLD land the registrants are the guinea pigs in a large-scale marketing experiment. And they're about to get slaughtered.

•••
One thing is for sure: in NTLD land the registrants are the guinea pigs in a large-scale marketing experiment. And they're about to get slaughtered.
Yep lambs to the slaughter.

•••

That would not happen actually (especially without a notification then you have a chance to renew it for 10 years) as it is not a premium domain or keyword. it is a normal one invented by me, not even a popular keyword for .shop or .club , so the price would usually remain the same for renewal. they changed price when they found it as a nice name being put in cart for a cheap price.

Thinking it is an end user, they changed the price instantly hoping that the buyer is desperate and will still buy it with such an insane amount. lol

BTW, i forgot to mention that i got a similar name in .shop a few days earlier for $7 , it is almost the same, so i am still happy. i just got mad over such high pricing for a normal domain name.

Last edited:
•••
Is there any domain investors union to fight against such unfair practises?

•••
That would not happen actually (especially without a notification then you have a chance to renew it for 10 years) as it is not a premium domain or keyword.

While there are ICANN rules requiring registry operators to notify registrars of the price increases, there's no such rule requiring registrars to give advance warnings to registrants. Consider this: how many registrars have sent out notices to their customers yet? (or are they simply finding out on their own, via blogs?) Beyond simply changing the price on their website when the time comes, some registrars might not do anything else, thereby screwing the registrants who have auto-renew enabled.

•••
Is there any domain investors union to fight against such unfair practises?
Domainers can just vote with their wallets and stay away, unless the registries agree on clear, predictable and binding rules. Why pick up a fight ? Registries have their own interests, which are different than ours. But they are struggling too after all. Why invest in extensions that may not be around for a long time ? You wouldn't build a home on shifting sands would you ?

•••
While there are ICANN rules requiring registry operators to notify registrars of the price increases, there's no such rule requiring registrars to give advance warnings to registrants. Consider this: how many registrars have sent out notices to their customers yet?
Some registrars have many resellers and it is sometimes these resellers or webdevelopers who handle the domain registrations and web development. This is where there could be breakdowns in communications. The Uniregistry gTLDs are quite small so they may not have many resellers yet but there is always the possiblity of bad press from these communications breakdowns when they affect small businesses rather than domainers.

Regards...jmcc

•••
hvt1t0.png

Why all these fake registrations on daily basis? Who are they going to impress? Going in the wrong way.

•••
hvt1t0.png

Why all these fake registrations on daily basis? Who are they going to impress? Going in the wrong way.
spam/bots maybe?

•••
Economics 101 - Supply & Demand.
Prices go up with limited supply and increased demand.

New gTLD economics -
Prices go up with virtually unlimited supply and lack of demand.

•••
spam/bots maybe?
If you think those are bad, there are some far worse spam gTLDs there where there's minimal genuine content.

Regards...jmcc

•••
they are priced so only endusers hold the domains - they are squeezing out the domainers and investors

Yes and no.... we will be more selective and pick our domains based on quality not quantity. Right now I can type tomdickandharry.com and some dip will have it registered. That will never be the case for more expensive gld's. I probably will own a few very select ones that resonate with me and where I think I can make money but that is about it.

It will squeeze out the domainers with low budgets but anyone that has a good budget and has his finger on the latest trend will do ok.

Now as the domains drop the question is who has the quickest trigger finger to buy up a domain for a subject that is trending.

•••
This is speculation if the price is increased too much they go out of business.

Last edited:
•••
Calm down everybody, you will see more of this coming in different ways. however this is nothing compared to my shocking experience 2 days go, here is what happened:

2 days ago, i wanted to register 1 word .shop, it was available at normal reg $6.99 - $7.99 with standard renewal around $30 as shown on a few different registrars. i put the name in cart and the price was right. BUT before i buy it, i decided to check the same 1 word on .club, also available at standard price for reg and renewal.

Fantastic, i can get both with discount around $10-$12 WOWWWW

Before i make my order i kept on searching for the same keyword on different extensions within different registrars like namesilo.com name.com uniregistry.com and dynadot.com etc, well 10 minutes passed and i could not find a better keyword extension for my 1 word rather than the 2 i got .shop and .club

So i decided to place my order for these 2 domains, here is a big WOWWWWWWWWW,

The .shop went from normal reg price to $11,000-$13,000 registration same goes for renewal at different registrars, the price jumped so high just when i wanted to go ahead with the order. what a shock, just 10 minutes ago i could buy it for $7 now it is $11,000 ? and renewal is also $11,000 ? not even standard renewal ? huh ? how stupid they are ? no one will pay such renewals, yes you can set a premium price for it and keep renewal in standard or acceptance level. that what happens with .club >

Ok faster go get the .club , another big WOWWWWWWWWWWWW, price is not $1,500+ to $1,700+ with standard renewal ! lol , i could have got it for $4 just 10 minutes ago !!!!!

And it was put on sedo for $2,000 with the same B.S message:
"About This Listing , This is a Registry owned Premium Name. The purchase price listed is a one-time amount and .Club renewal fees are LOW! ".

That is not the first time. there are some people in the registry sitting there just to check on your searches and if they find something interesting, they change prices immediately so take it or leave it.

For me, i left both for sure. only a millionaire will pay $11,000 a year for a domain.

.club might still be smart as someone might be willing to pay high reg as long as renewal is standard. but i see .shop as ridiculous and beyond stupidity for such a move.
Would just like to point out many of these sites show a different price when adding to cart and then the premium prices will show up in cart. Entirely possible your non premium was premium the whole time

•••
Would just like to point out many of these sites show a different price when adding to cart and then the premium prices will show up in cart. Entirely possible your non premium was premium the whole time
I can confirm this also, nobody changed the price on you, it is how they code it, the cart had the final price. Nothing new here, every gtld has a different price, and this happens all the time.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back