Dynadot

new gtlds 16 new TLDs will get price increases of up to 3,000%

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's always disappointing and I think very counterproductive to all domain investors, yes even you, .com investors, to read a thread and it's corresponding comments without revealing the whole picture or story. The headline should read Uniregistrar's 16 TLD's will see a price increase. That is just one registrar out of about 3,000! Uniregistrar Corp's domain extensions are mediocre at best and pretty weak top to bottom with .link being their top extension at 375,000 registrations and then .click at 175,000 registrations. None of their other 23 TLD's has even close to 100,000 registrations. Their top 2 extensions, according to the article are only going to see a $1 to $2 increase. That is not really going to make or break those extension registrations. It's the weak ones that will need to raise prices to simply survive, as they are just not that popular, because they are so focused, as .hiphop and .guitars and .hiv attest to. Yes, it would be disappointing to start your business on a $12 a year extension and see it rise to say $100 a year, but if you are a business, that is not going to be the reason you fold up shop! Uniregistry has been ultra successful in garnering market share in total domains managed, so they must be doing something right. It's just one companies story, not the whole new gTLD market. To say the new gTLD's are dying or failing or are all going to screw their customers is just not factual! Some of the new gTLD's will die, it's just simple supply and demand, others will prosper and grow, but to say they are all a failure at this point is really short sighted and not very educated. Look at how well .xyz has done by selling many domains at promotional prices. (.99 cents) I think it's brilliant, as they bought themselves market share! They now have 6.5 million names registered. I am sure many were registered as cheap investments and will be dropped once full price renewals hit. But, they have gained a foothold in the market, simply by the number of domains that will be developed. It's going to be much easier for them to expand their user base as a registrar, than one offering $2,888 renewals. Another tiny company you may have heard of, GoDaddy, has done this successfully now for many years, how has it worked out for them? But to say Uniregistrar's upcoming price increase is a death knell to the new gTLDs, is just not right! The sky is not falling people...

Last edited:
•••
Haha
Back in 2013 and he said he will be the biggest registry in the world. Fonyregistry..

That's silly.

There is no other registrar, with a solid platform like Uniregistry.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, it would be disappointing to start your business on an $12 a year extension and see it rise to say $100 a year, but if you are a business, that is not going to be the reason you fold up shop!

exactly. that is why Frank is doing that. if that works out well, they will be $200 and if that is tolerated it will be $300 etc. etc

once greed takes over it can not be stopped. They will just maximise their gains and find the sweet spot which will be the maximum short-term gain.

•••
Yes, it would be disappointing to start your business on a $12 a year extension and see it rise to say $100 a year, but if you are a business, that is not going to be the reason you fold up shop!

Whether or not that business owner leaves the extension or starts planning to, others will hear that you can be held to ransom on these extensions and think twice about starting to use them.

•••
yes - the business model is being changed - and domainers won't be able to hold these domains in large amounts once the increases hit. And who's going to build out their main website on one of these extensions?

•••
Whether or not that business owner leaves the extension or starts planning to, others will hear that you can be held to ransom on these extensions and think twice about using them.
Agreed, Absoulutely! But again, it's one registrar out of 3,000. It's a $1 or $2 increase for their best performing extensions. Most brick and mortar business leases increase at the end of the lease too, it's a cost of doing business. Sometimes you have to move too, if the cost benefit goes negative! Do I think end users should think twice about what extension they build a business on, absolutely! Do I think that, because one third of one percent of all registrars may have misjudged registration projections and subsequently has to raise prices to survive means new extensions are in trouble...hardly!

•••
•••
•••
exactly. that is why Frank is doing that. if that works out well, they will be $200 and if that is tolerated it will be $300 etc. etc

once greed takes over it can not be stopped. They will just maximise their gains and find the sweet spot which will be the maximum short-term gain.

This is not greed, this is simply extension survival mode! Any good business owner would try to do the same. Save your investment! It's mandatory for a CEO. Will it work? Only time will tell, but this is not about greed or trying to rip off their current customer base!

•••
•••
Problem is a lot of these registries are already in a fragile position and sitting on a pile of debt. The upcoming deletes numbers are already growing alarmingly and that was before this action. Take .xyz that was mentioned - it's been built on 1cent domains. Interesting comment on this thread on TheDomains where a guy had purchased 30,000 at 1 cent and made his best deal by selling one at $1800. But even at $1 dollar each it would have been a disastrous investment.

Last edited:
•••
Problem is a lot of these registries are already in a fragile position and sitting on a pile of debt. The upcoming deletes numbers are already growing alarmingly and that was before this action. Take .xyz that was mentioned - it's been built on 1cent domains. Interesting comment on this thread on TheDomains where a guy had purchased 30,000 at 1 cent and made his best deal by selling one at $1800. But even at $1 dollar each it would have been a disastrous investment.

next year it would be 300k renewal fees and 1.8k sales = drop

•••
New tlds are scams anyway!! we all should boycott those greedy registrars and stick with the good old tlds!

•••
I do feel sorry for anyone who has invested heavily in ngtlds.

It's like any business that opens without a well thought out business plan... they fail in the first few years.

•••
I'm starting to finally see a decent amount of gTLD domains used in advertising ... When the ship tries to leave the port they're giving it a "good luck" torpedo?

Thankfully those aren't the most interesting gTLDs, as long as the others don't follow this example

Most advertisement use throw away domains....

Ex: BlackFridaySaleAtTarget.com

They will use it for a while and allow it to delet

Now different than: SaleAtTarget.blackfriday

The ngtlds are great to drive quick traffic, and I would use them for that, but I would never build my business website on one. Turn around and next year my renewal is 800 bucks or I have no website.... no thank you

•••
That's silly.

There is no other registrar, with a solid platform like Uniregistry.

Just a poor joke and I agree with you regarding the platform

•••
https://onlinedomain.com/2017/03/08...ew-gtld-domain-name-program-warning/#comments

Frank Schilling said:
I will be so happy to have the “premium name” game behind us and all registrations available. I am sure that every other registry will eventually copy the higher price model or be bought by one that does.

hmmm.. No premiums good news... higher prices bad news...

Is the net effect good or bad for ngtld investors?

Will they really have no premiums/or reserved domains at all?

Honestly if the other registries copy the higher price model, most domainers would be priced out of the market IMO.

Last edited:
•••
It's pretty simple, these strings are not viable economically, because there is not enough demand. That was to be expected, so many turds competing against one another.
Wait for the next step: sunsetting. Registries will not hesitate to pull the plug on underperforming TLDs as soon as they can. Some registries might actually go under, nothing would surprise me. What we can take for granted is that more TLDs will be retired, and not just corpTLDs where the harm caused by retirement is nil.

•••
I'm waiting for the perpetual given 5 more years and those that invested early will be clear winners. Its going to happen it already is, slowly everyday more people join the Internet for the first time and will see the nGTLDs as natural and instinctive.
Something along those lines.

•••
•••
It reminds me of Zimbabwe and Robert Magube, price inflation raising to 3,000%. Failed state and a basket case.

•••
Verisign executives are popping the champagne right now probably.

could become a new marketing slogan: ".com the only TLD that doesn't screw you over.."

Verisign has been trying for years to hike the prices on .COM. I'm sure they would if they could.

Last edited:
•••
Verisign has been trying for years to hike the prices on .COM. I'm sure they would if they could.
That's one good thing from this debacle, a wake up call to ICANN. Next round of contract negotiations with Verisign, price inflation will be top of the agenda.

•••
Many gtlds are dropped because $20 a year renewals are more than domainers want to spend on renewals

$300? If gtld renewal?

That will make an easy decision for domain names eg 1x a new gfld
Or 30 X. Com domain names

•••
they are priced so only endusers hold the domains - they are squeezing out the domainers and investors

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back