NameSilo

The NamePros Moderation sucks...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
Impact
Your post in the thread See you around was deleted. Reason: Please stay on topic. We will have to issue warnings and/or restrictions if you continue not listening to us. You are unnecessarily creating problems

Here, now this is on topic..

More and more quality members are leaving NamePros due to your actions.

Quit worrying about avatars and worry about the real issues such as members who have suspended 5+ times and are still here, members who have threatened others twice and are still here, people infracted multiple times for self-promotion still here, people just adding no value intentionally trolling and causing strife still here..

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is nothing but an obvious deflection from a party in power to try and defend their (undefendable) actions.
Not at all. We don’t need to defend anything. As the rules state, moderator decisions are final. That’s not debatable.

We are happy to listen and discuss our decisions to see if we missed something because we genuinely care about doing a good job, but there is nothing defensive or deflective about it because we have no need to defend or deflect. We’re describing our point of view so you can better explain yours.

Do you agree with this quote or not?
In response to the timing of strikes... the fact that the aforementioned user was even around to earn additional strikes, period, is a problem. Not the amount of time in between each strike.

•••
Not at all. We don’t need to defend anything. As the terms state, moderator decisions are final. That’s not debatable.

Yep, but if that was a poor decision is debatable...

Just because you made some decision doesn't mean it was a good decision. It just means you have the authority to do it.

Also, statements like that sure don't help build a sense of "community".

We are happy to listen and discuss our decisions to see if we missed something, because we genuinely care about doing a good job, but there is nothing defensive or deflective about it because we have no need to defend or deflect. We’re describing our point of view so you can better explain yours.

Do you agree with this quote or not?
I am done with this "like police" nonsense line of reasoning.

I didn't realize you needed to 100% agree with every single word in a lengthy response. Am I doing to have to go through every post I like now and make sure to initial after every sentence?

You can go ahead and read my responses in post #9 and post #16 if you are actually interested.

I am not playing the "like police" game. This is hitting a new low for NamePros.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
As the rules state, moderator decisions are final. That’s not debatable.

Do you think the world should be ran by few, while ignoring the majority?

•••
Enough with the empty threats, people. Either close your account or become part of the constructive solution. Complaining is too easy.

Where are the empty threats Joe?

•••
Do you think the world should be ran by few, while ignoring the majority?
That's how the world works now, Keith.

Government
School
Work
Sports teams
Military

Someone (or some people) are chosen to fulfill a position of authority. Those of us who choose to participate in the system either follow that authority or we leave.

If we disagree with the choices made by the leaders, enforcers, etc then we voice our opinions, and hopefully they are heard and respected, thus building our trust and reinforcing their authority.

Last edited:
•••
Where are the empty threats Joe?
In the wake of all this, there's been a constant refrain of "long time members are going to leave." It's unproductive. NP knows what's at stake. Why else would they bother to moderate in the first place?

•••
That's how the world works now, Keith.

Government
School
Work
Sports teams
Military

Someone (or some people) are chosen to fulfill a position of authority.
Authority to act on behalf of the people, not to act on personal feelings.

•••
Authority to enforce the rules, which are always open to subjective interpretation.

People are human. They screw up. Cut them some slack and move on with a vision to make it better next time.

•••
If you are not a moderator, and you doing anything other than reading the forum, contributing to the resource, adding positive input, bidding on or selling domains, you are part of the problem.

Moderators should be able to focus on bad apples instead of constantly explaining their rationale and defending their decisions to wanna be moderators.

Just my opinion.

And by the way, I haven't seen this so-called erosion of the forum. I think people find what they are looking for.

•••
And by the way, I hope the title of this thread gets deleted or changed. I'm actually very surprised the op, I view as a classy, reasonable guy, would post such a thing.

•••
I'm actually very surprised the op, I view as a classy, reasonable guy, would post such a thing.

I do agree I could have put something less abrasive. I did try to edit the title and could not see an option.

Brad

•••
I do agree I could have put something less abrasive. I did try to edit the title and could not see an option.

Brad
Somehow I figured that. As you know, you are not alone in blowing a gasket at times. It happens. Thanks for replying.

•••
I didn't realize you needed to 100% agree with every single word in a lengthy response.
You don't, but it seemed clear that you also agreed with that part given your other responses. That is supported by your refusal to answer a simple question of whether you agree with it.

In the past, we've Liked content where members wrote a lengthy response, similar to the response by @Peak.Domains, arguing that if you Like a post, then it should be the whole thing and not only a part of it that you like. Clearly, everyone has their own opinion on that and both sides make good points. However, that's irrelevant to what matters here. This is a discussion with context and a lot of history, not a single "agree" reaction.

You proclaim deflection and then you deflect. You wrote more than 100 words in your reply and you couldn't write a single word for "yes" or "no" to whether you agree with that quote?

The majority of the rules exist because of member requests and feedback.

What do you mean by "personal feelings"?

If you mean making irrational or unreasonable decisions based on an emotion, then our history is clear that we don't do that. We do, however, respond to other members doing that with appropriate and swift action(s). There is no place for anarchy in a professional community.

If you mean making rational and reasonable decisions based on our feelings of a situation, which includes our perspective on the situation, our understanding of the intent behind the relevant rules, our sense of the members' objective(s), our belief about the members' intentions, etc., then yes, that is what we are tasked to do and what a moderator must do.

If that wasn't necessary, then a robot (computer program) would be doing it.

•••
•••
In the past, we've Liked content where members wrote a lengthy response, similar to the response by @Peak.Domains, arguing that if you Like a post, then it should be the whole thing and not only a part of it that you like.
If that's still unclear, then here's our response from January 2020:
In our opinion, a "Thanks" or "Like" does not necessarily mean that the person thanking or liking the post agrees with, is thankful for, or likes the entire post; it could just be part of the post.

We are thankful that he said, "We are happy to support NamePros with sponsorship." The "Thanks" feature is a nice, quick way to express that.

Here's a tip:
  • It's more productive to seek clarity than cast stones.

We hope that helps.

•••
You don't, but it seemed clear that you also agreed with that part given your other responses. That is supported by your refusal to answer a simple question of whether you agree with it.

In the past, we've Liked content where members wrote a lengthy response, similar to the response by @Peak.Domains, arguing that if you Like a post, then it should be the whole thing and not only a part of it that you like. Clearly, everyone has their own opinion on that and both sides make good points. However, that's irrelevant to what matters here. This is a discussion with context and a lot of history, not a single "agree" reaction.

You proclaim deflection and then you deflect. You wrote more than 100 words in your reply and you couldn't write a single word for "yes" or "no" to whether you agree with that quote?

The majority of the rules exist because of member requests and feedback.

What do you mean by "personal feelings"?

If you mean making irrational or unreasonable decisions based on an emotion, then our history is clear that we don't do that. We do, however, respond to other members doing that with appropriate and swift action(s). There is no place for anarchy in a professional community.

If you mean making rational and reasonable decisions based on our feelings of a situation, which includes our perspective on the situation, our understanding of the intent behind the relevant rules, our sense of the members' objective(s), our belief about the members' intentions, etc., then yes, that is what we are tasked to do and what a moderator must do.

If that wasn't necessary, then a robot (computer program) would be doing it.
What I mean by “personal feelings” is that things should operate on a majority basis, not what hurts 2 or 3 members feelings

By the pole in the case of Elad, it’s obvious that the few complaints are majorly overruled. The mods shouldn’t be so quick to act. Maybe lay back and let the community work itself out.

Last edited:
•••
Mod Team Bravo said:

In the past, we've Liked content where members wrote a lengthy response, similar to the response by @Peak.Domains, arguing that if you Like a post, then it should be the whole thing and not only a part of it that you like.

In our opinion, a "Thanks" or "Like" does not necessarily mean that the person thanking or liking the post agrees with, is thankful for, or likes the entire post; it could just be part of the post.

We are thankful that he said, "We are happy to support NamePros with sponsorship." The "Thanks" feature is a nice, quick way to express that.

Alright, I am seeking clarity. Those (2) comments seem to contradict each other.

1.) The first one says "arguing that if you Like a post, then it should be the whole thing and not only a part of it that you like"

2.) The second one says -
"In our opinion, a "Thanks" or "Like" does not necessarily mean that the person thanking or liking the post agrees with, is thankful for, or likes the entire post; it could just be part of the post."

Those seem like complete opposite statements to me.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
1.) The first one says "arguing that if you Like a post, then it should be the whole thing and not only a part of it that you like"
We were describing situations in which other members took that position against us: they said that if we Like a post, then it should be the whole thing and not only a part of it that we like.

Here's the same sentence restructured and clarified:
In the past, we've Liked content where members wrote a lengthy response arguing that "if you Like a post then it should be the whole thing and not only a part of it that you like," similar [in length] to the response by @Peak.Domains.

•••
@Mod Team Bravo

My best advice would be to take more of a backseat. The members will definitely weed out the bs posts and call out the nonsense.

What’s more important? A avatar pic, a sales thread, auctions, maybe a LLL.com that appears to be stolen? The pic is low on the list.

In most cases, the members are the first to pounce when a post is off key. That’s when we alert you and hope for your support. Let’s work together to grow a stronger base as opposed to taking out our own players on the same team 😊

•••
I’ve been almost non-existent on namepros the past few months. Not that I’m using another forum, but I’ve found many of the Veterans that used to pave the way have disappeared. Many are now in chat groups on Skype, telegram or WhatsApp or spend their time on social media. There’s no denying there have been some big changes on NP over the past couple of years. Also, the moderation, imo, could lighten up a bit and perhaps allow some of the smaller things to slide. Just some constructive criticism.

Last edited:
•••
I used to work as a forum administrator and community manager for two major gaming companies for a number of years.

The salt on the forums was near-constant.

NamePros administration -- if you feel that the userbase here is critical. You have not seen the personal hell an angry gaming community can unleash towards staff members.

I would handle support tickets on a daily basis and provide technical support and help to thousands of people across threads and support tickets.

Constructive advice sans salt.
  • Please, stop using cookie-cutter CTRL + C / CTRL + V responses. This is not MailChimp -- and you are not cold emailing us.
  • Do not take forum threats personally unless the person actually poses a threat. Conduct a risk assessment and if that person is deemed a legitimate threat -- report to the authorities. Not the forum.
  • If there is salt, use it to season your french fries -- not lose customers and damage reputation.
  • Appear friendly -- not judgemental. Dial down responses and frequency to minor infractions.
The pastebin of text response that I received after making a minor chat infraction through the community chat box was more damning than a lawyer on his way for a class-action lawsuit. Dial your responses down.

They do not appear suited to the forums in this manner -- responses appear cold, calculated, and controlling. Less savvy members to online rules and moderation would take this in a very negative light.

I canceled my gold membership across this account and others -- and would like to see the forums change for the positive before reactivating any kind of membership again.

Until then -- I can not and will not throw more money into the forums.

Moderation works best -- in moderation.

Last edited:
•••
Hello,

As moderators, we encounter the same situations often and templates help us to provide consistency. However, we will look into updating the templates to make them less impersonal.

Please contact us if you have any additional suggestions.

Thanks for the feedback.

For internal use: https://www.namepros.com/conversations/3107002/

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back