IT.COM

10,000 Likes - The 5 figure like club!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
A short while ago, my NamePros account crossed the mark of 10,000 likes. It comes with an instruction:

upload_2019-12-21_15-16-54.png

I guess this is like "Fight Club" only apparently I am supposed to say something.

If you would have asked me 18 months ago about that topic, I would have said with absolute confidence that this would not be happening.

I find "likes" useful for one simple reason — it is a resonance indicator, i.e. a barometer of whether or not your message is helpful to the community, regardless of whether or not everyone agrees with it.

So with that as context, here is my free advice for anyone seeking to establish a foothold on NamePros and to join this 5-Figure Like Club:
  • Be helpful: Regardless who you are, it is for sure that you can be helpful. Know your strengths and talents, and just start being helpful or at least encouraging. People will appreciate you.
  • Be engaged: If you read someone’s stuff, engage with it. A like, thank, tag, or follow is feedback, even if you don’t comment on it. This means engaging as a registered user rather than lurking anonymously.
  • Be authentic People value consistency. You can only be consistent if you are authentic. So, I advise to be clear on who you are and to know what you are about. I think it helps to have purpose.
  • Be kind: This place can be hostile at times. I find that you can be genuine without being snarky. Authenticity should come from a place of love, not ego. Easier said than done but try anyway!
  • Be courageous: If you are active on NP, you can expect to draw hostile fire. I find it is better to be loved by a few than to be tolerated by many. This is easier for those with eternal perspective.
  • Be tolerant: It is not a secret that I am a Bible-believing Christian. As such, I sincerely try to judge nobody. I also sincerely try to love everyone and to be optimistic about their (hidden) good qualities.
  • Be patient: NamePros is a place where you get out of it, what you put into it. There is a payoff. However, it comes late, is hard to measure, does not come easy, and comes with consequences.
  • Be curious: There are some very clever and connected people here. You can learn a ton from them, both from reading public posts but especially via PMs and offline engagement.
And when in doubt about what to post or not post, I suggest: when in doubt, leave it out. If you think there is a risk that your post will backfire horribly, I would probably leave that out. However, don't be timid.

I am not sure how big this 5 figure like club is, but I hope that there will be many more inductees in the years ahead as we all work together to make NP awesome and to make the pie bigger for everyone!

I want to thank @MapleDots for starting it all. I also want to thank @Mod Team Alfa, @Mod Team Bravo, @Mod Team Echo and @Mod Team Foxtrot for being patient with me while I learned the rules!

Good luck.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A short while ago, my NamePros account crossed the mark of 10,000 likes. It comes with an instruction:

Show attachment 139615

I guess this is like "Fight Club" only apparently I am supposed to say something.

If you would have asked me 18 months ago about that topic, I would have said with absolute confidence that this would not be happening.

I find "likes" useful for one simple reason — it is a resonance indicator, i.e. a barometer of whether or not your message is helpful to the community, regardless of whether or not everyone agrees with it.

So with that as context, here is my free advice for anyone seeking to establish a foothold on NamePros and to join this 5-Figure Like Club:
  • Be helpful: Regardless who you are, it is for sure that you can be helpful. Know your strengths and talents, and just start being helpful or at least encouraging. People will appreciate you.
  • Be engaged: If you read someone’s stuff, engage with it. A like, thank, tag, or follow is feedback, even if you don’t comment on it. This means engaging as a registered user rather than lurking anonymously.
  • Be authentic People value consistency. You can only be consistent if you are authentic. So, I advise to be clear on who you are and to know what you are about. I think it helps to have purpose.
  • Be kind: This place can be hostile at times. I find that you can be genuine without being snarky. Authenticity should come from a place of love, not ego. Easier said than done but try anyway!
  • Be courageous: If you are active on NP, you can expect to draw hostile fire. I find it is better to be loved by a few than to be tolerated by many. This is easier for those with eternal perspective.
  • Be tolerant: It is not a secret that I am a Bible-believing Christian. As such, I sincerely try to judge nobody. I also sincerely try to love everyone and to be optimistic about their (hidden) good qualities.
  • Be patient: NamePros is a place where you get out of it, what you put into it. There is a payoff. However, it comes late, is hard to measure, does not come easy, and comes with consequences.
  • Be curious: There are some very clever and connected people here. You can learn a ton from them, both from reading public posts but especially via PMs and offline engagement.
And when in doubt about what to post or not post, I suggest: when in doubt, leave it out. If you think there is a risk that your post will backfire horribly, I would probably leave that out. However, don't be timid.

I am not sure how big this 5 figure like club is, but I hope that there will be many more inductees in the years ahead as we all work together to make NP awesome and to make the pie bigger for everyone!

I want to thank @MapleDots for starting it all. I also want to thank @Mod Team Alfa, @Mod Team Bravo, @Mod Team Echo and @Mod Team Foxtrot for being patient with me while I learned the rules!

Good luck.
CONGRATULATIONS ROB...:xf.smile:
buy-facebook-likes.jpg

•••
Congrats @Rob Monster on this amazing achievement. We have learnt a lot from your posts and still learning. Keep making the domaining industry better and wish u many more success ahead. And Thanks for the awesome free advice :)

•••
Congrats Rob! Reaching the 10k likes milestone is not easy especially when it's been done the correct/hard way with posts that are actually worthy of "likes". It's easy to flood the Reg of the Day or Purchase/Snap of the day threads to amass cheap "likes" but you've done it with helpfull responses to questions and comments that some have found inspiring. Here's to the next 10k!

It's gonna take me roughly 18 more years at my current "likes" velocity to join the club so that's plenty of time to have my silk smoking jacket made.

Full disclosure... I don't smoke.

•••
Congrats @Rob Monster and Welcome to the 10K likes club. Considering at the position you are, your user engagement and easy approachable, interactive nature is amazing, keep inspiring.

Last edited:
•••
Congrats @Rob Monster on the 10k+

I've been thinking the ratio of likes to posts clearly shows how appreciated someone is.

Anyone over a ratio of 1.5 is providing good value but for you, your ratio is a whooping 3.4 which is truly amazing - well done and thanks or all the excellent value.

10,074/2,926 = 3.4

Maybe they should add that?

Last edited:
•••

Show attachment 139615

Good luck.

It's worth it! We celebrate you Boss! (from Nigeria). I have met so a practical humble man, turning lemon into lemonade.

Keep up the good works(y)🌏

•••
For me personally when I look at likes score I like to see about a 2-1 ratio of likes to posts.
I know I have been using that number as a basis for my contributions.

In other words.... if my post did not get at least get two likes have I really contributed in a positive manner.

Anyways, that's just my target, it's different for everyone.

•••
Congratulations on crossing 10,000 Likes.

Your posts can be informative, educational, insightful, inciting, exciting, debatable, highly technical, controversial, well researched and, enjoyable.

The Likes received IMO reflect the overall enjoyment the readership finds in your posts.

•••
@Rob Monster did you miss the fine print where it says you need to give a HUGE reg fee discount when achieving this HUGE milestone??? Ha just kidding :)

•••
Congratulations for your 10,000 Likes Rob!
This number clearly reflects that your posts has been very useful for all the community. Keep up the good work and the good posting Rob!

•••
Anyone over a ratio of 1.5 is providing good value but for you, your ratio is a whooping 3.4 which is truly amazing - well done and thanks or all the excellent value.
For me personally when I look at likes score I like to see about a 2-1 ratio of likes to posts.
I know I have been using that number as a basis for my contributions.
I definitely don't want to rain on Rob's parade here, because not only does he make an effort to contribute to the community, but his content contributions also have the extra benefit of coming for the unique perspective of registrar owner .. which gives community members extra unique insight we likely couldn't get from anyone else. Plus .. most of us will never be in a position offer $5.49 .com transfers/registration for 300 likes! lmao :)

That being said .. the likes system at NamePros is effectively meaningless. And I bring this not to bring anyone with high likes down .. but to point out that there are most definitely people who contribute SIGNIFICANT value to the community whose likes ratio fall significantly lower than many people who actually don't put in much effort.

For example .. I spend hours every day working on my daily lists which I post here at NamePros. For the first year I even did so with NO affiliate links .. but these days with ~150 views a day, I'm lucky to get 1 or 2 likes .. There was a time where I wasn't even getting a single like per week total (plus it was back when my posts were too long I had to split them up, so I was actually getting 0 or 1 like per 14 to 21 posts). But then I write someone a nice customised welcome in the meet and greet section and get 4-5 likes for a 2-3 minute effort (so 2-3x the likes for literally 100x less effort than I put into my expiration auction posts).

But even more telling of how likes are effectively meaningless at NamePros is that in the very same welcome thread where I'd get 4-5 likes for a nice customised hello/welcome post, someone else will write a one word "welcome", but because they are in a "like group", they get an extra 2-3 likes extra from their "group" and get 7-8 likes .. for a 3 second ZERO effort/content post (they don't even read the person's post because sometimes the first post is junk from an obvious spambot yet they still just post "Welcome" looking to increase their like count .. lol) .. it's pretty sad and why I think most off-topic sections of namepros should have likes turned off and removed as well as having a minimum 100 character count on a post before it can be liked.

Just so you know, it's really not that much, this sentence is actually more than one hundred characters!

More importantly .. in most discussion forum likes are effectively meaningless .. but at NamePros there is indeed commerce taking place .. and most people equate the "likes" to trust (or even worse .. to "authority".. but in the case of NamePros, likes most certainly does not mean that at all the way it's set up now. :-/

@Rob Monster did you miss the fine print where it says you need to give a HUGE reg fee discount when achieving this HUGE milestone??? Ha just kidding :)
lol .. I find it suspiciously convenient that he timed his 10,000th like right around Boxing Day! ;)

Last edited:
•••
Congrats @Rob Monster on the 10k+

I've been thinking the ratio of likes to posts clearly shows how appreciated someone is.

10,074/2,926 = 3.4

Maybe they should add that?

I agree - that ratio is not so common. I am posting a bit less lately but will try to deliver some useful stuff to folks. We do have some exciting product news coming including several free new tools. If I share news about them, hopefully they don't get relegated to the Promotional category. We'll see.

I think we'll do a Transfer promo on Monday. I don't want to chance it on the weekend in case some really big whales get in on it. We can only wire funds to Verisign on weekdays. Silly.

•••
I definitely don't want to rain on Rob's parade here, because not only does he make an effort to contribute to the community, but his content contributions also have the extra benefit of coming for the unique perspective of registrar owner .. which gives community members extra unique insight we likely couldn't get from anyone else. Plus .. most of us will never be in a position offer $5.49 .com transfers/registration for 300 likes! lmao :)

That being said .. the likes system at NamePros is effectively meaningless. And I bring this not to bring anyone with high likes down .. but to point out that there are most definitely people who contribute SIGNIFICANT value to the community whose likes ratio fall significantly lower than many people who actually don't put in much effort.

For example .. I spend hours every day working on my daily lists which I post here at NamePros. For the first year I even did so with NO affiliate links .. but these days with ~150 views a day, I'm lucky to get 1 or 2 likes .. There was a time where I wasn't even getting a single like per week total (plus it was back when my posts were too long I had to split them up, so I was actually getting 0 or 1 like per 14 to 21 posts). But then I write someone a nice customised welcome in the meet and greet section and get 4-5 likes for a 2-3 minute effort (so 2-3x the likes for literally 100x less effort than I put into my expiration auction posts).

But even more telling of how likes are effectively meaningless at NamePros is that in the very same welcome thread where I'd get 4-5 likes for a nice customised hello/welcome post, someone else will write a one word "welcome", but because they are in a "like group", they get an extra 2-3 likes extra from their "group" and get 7-8 likes .. for a 3 second ZERO effort/content post (they don't even read the person's post because sometimes the first post is junk from an obvious spambot yet they still just post "Welcome" looking to increase their like count .. lol) .. it's pretty sad and why I think most off-topic sections of namepros should have likes turned off and removed as well as having a minimum 100 character count on a post before it can be liked.

Just so you know, it's really not that much, this sentence is actually more than one hundred characters!

More importantly .. in most discussion forum likes are effectively meaningless .. but at NamePros there is indeed commerce taking place .. and most people equate the "likes" to trust .. but in the case of NamePros, likes most certainly does not mean that at all the way it's set up now. :-/

lol .. I find it suspiciously convenient that he timed his 10,000th like right around Boxing Day! ;)

@Ategy - you bring a lot, no doubt. I am not going to enter into a debate about like quality. Yes, it is a dull knife but as a resonance indicator, it is really good.

As for Boxing Day, we'll have something really cool to share. If @Gube @DanSanchez and @vitigo deliver on plan, we'll have 12 days of Christmas. Stay tuned.

•••
Congrats @Rob Monster for the figure club membership. Well deserved.

I'll keep hugging my 1k like club :banghead:

•••
@Ategy , I agree with you on "likes" not carrying as much weight as they should, I wish there was a more accurate metric that would reflect the amount of useful contributions that are made in the forum.

Meanwhile we just have to keep count in our heads as to which members are making the most useful contributions and from what I have seen @Rob Monster has had a positive impact on NamePros and even though his interactions here might have gotten started through some controversial subjects, but now it seems to be all about innovation and helping domainers.

By the way I used to belong to the very exclusive six figure like club, but I was kicked out after I started pointing out the Truth about the World. ;)

IMO

Last edited:
•••
Very inspiring..!
Congrats Rob.
Thumbs up

•••
They removed your likes?

You didn't get the joke, I don't think there is a six figure like club at NamePros, at least not yet. ;)

•••
Is the Rolex back from the engravers yet and your trophy?

•••
I am not sure how big this 5 figure like club is
On December 23, 2019:
  • There are a total of 36 members with at least 10,000 likes.
  • It takes 13,731 likes to be in the top 20 most-liked members of all time.
The current 36 members of the 5-Figure Like Club are:

+------------+--------------------+
| like_count | username           |
|      88642 | @iowadawg          |
|      66052 | @briguy            |
|      54104 | @johname           |
|      43514 | @GILSAN            |
|      42901 | @baseballworld     |
|      34933 | @Silentptnr        |
|      25189 | @alcy              |
|      22442 | @Kate              |
|      19886 | @JB Lions          |
|      19296 | @DU                |
|      16044 | @JudgeMind         |
|      15916 | @Corey             |
|      15512 | @Eric Lyon         |
|      15430 | @Kenny             |
|      14888 | @HereDomainthere   |
|      14887 | @WatchDogue        |
|      14499 | @Ategy             |
|      13930 | @ulterios          |
|      13900 | @deez007           |
|      13731 | @enlytend          |
|      13362 | @equity78          |
|      13261 | @James Iles        |
|      12693 | @Elad n            |
|      12687 | @Bob Hawkes        |
|      12650 | @usernamex         |
|      12633 | @gilescoley        |
|      12602 | @DKN               |
|      12399 | @Michelle          |
|      12390 | @DomainVP          |
|      12349 | @mr-x              |
|      12293 | @Recons.Com        |
|      11488 | @dexdn             |
|      11477 | @DOMAIN ILLUMINATI |
|      11471 | @MapleDots         |
|      10977 | @DnFolk            |
|      10121 | @Rob Monster       |
Needless to say, it's no easy feat. Even if you post daily in sections that are easier to obtain likes, it takes a huge commitment of time, dedication, and contribution to reach these milestones.

That being said .. the likes system at NamePros is effectively meaningless
It's absolutely not meaningless. The data itself is very valuable and insightful in a variety of ways.

In terms of fair criticism, what you could say is that there is a lot of noise in it, and we could provide more ways to filter out that noise. For example, weighted scores that value the likes based on their difficulty to obtain or importance in a particular section or thread.

We'll respond more later in the thread you started for this topic.

Thanks.

•••
On December 23, 2019:

Needless to say, it's no easy feat. Even if you post daily in sections that are easier to obtain likes, it takes a huge commitment of time, dedication, and contribution to reach these milestones.

It's absolutely not meaningless. The data itself is very valuable and insightful in a variety of ways.

In terms of fair criticism, what you could say is that there is a lot of noise in it, and we could provide more ways to filter out that noise. For example, weighted scores that value the likes based on their difficulty to obtain or importance in a particular section or thread.

We'll respond more later in the thread you started.

Thanks.

Thanks, that is cool. Indeed that is a rather small crew of familiar names.

As for the Likes system being imperfect, it looks like there is some constructive user engagement from the NP community to make that stronger.

As for @Ategy and @JB Lions they probably worked harder than a lot of the rest. However, brevity does have its place.

When I write a post, i try to use short paragraphs, leave space, and add images or memes to make them digestible, especially for persons whose native language is not English.

I love @Ategy and he knows it, but I find his opus-length essays to be hard to reply to since it requires too much cut and paste because there are parts I agree with and parts I don't.

I bet if he cut his word count in half, he would double his impact. Just sayin'.

•••
Search engines love @Ategy 's content, megabytes of handmade yummies :)

•••
On December 23, 2019:

We'll respond more later in the thread you started for this topic.

Thanks.

Wow! Very interesting! Honored to be in the top 36 )

And I like my member ID: 983373 )

I disagree with @Ategy that it is meaningless stat. I certainly pay attention. If you see someone posting and see him/her having a good post/like ratio, that often means that the person posts quality content and/or posts lots of sales etc., which still means "worth extra attention and reading the post to the end" ). And didn't Ategy make a separate thread when he achieved a certain like milestone? ))

Another observation: 9xx,xxx series members have disproportionate representation in the top with 16 out of 36 ) Either the like system was introduced relatively lately, or there was an influx of good content contributors around 2014-2016? ) PS might be some change in id system?

Last edited:
•••
•••
Either the like system was introduced relatively lately, or there was an influx of good content contributors around 2014-2016?
Also:
  1. There wasn't always a Like system, so many older accounts have made great posts that would have received a lot of likes but likes did not exist yet.
  2. The closest version of today's Like system did not exist until May 2014. There were some other systems in place before that, some of which we converted, but they were different (e.g., at one time, they were based around reputation points rather than Likes and counted/weighted differently).
  3. Newer accounts tend to be more active on forums, which leads to more likes for them.
  4. Likes are being given more frequently in recent times than in the past. The popularity of social networks such as Facebook may have catapulted the use of Like-based systems across the board.
  5. Today, NamePros.com may be more compelling, user-friendly, and addictive than ever before. :angelic: If so, then newer accounts may be sticking around longer than older accounts, which gives newer accounts more time to accumulate likes.
Learn more about the advantage of newer members.

We hope that helps.

•••
Interesting stats @Mod Team Bravo - thank you for posting them. I am also surprised in a way that there are not more yet in 5-figure club.

As @Recons.Com points out, interesting that user numbers 95x xxx and up are so well represented.

I am sure that the move to like on other social media, as mentioned, makes it that people now give more likes.

So it appears being on NamePros 15 years is still only about member 10,000. Is member 1 still active? If so, we should celebrate him/her. :xf.smile: Or maybe member 1 was registry reserved!:xf.grin:

Bob

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back