IT.COM

10,000 Likes - The 5 figure like club!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
A short while ago, my NamePros account crossed the mark of 10,000 likes. It comes with an instruction:

upload_2019-12-21_15-16-54.png

I guess this is like "Fight Club" only apparently I am supposed to say something.

If you would have asked me 18 months ago about that topic, I would have said with absolute confidence that this would not be happening.

I find "likes" useful for one simple reason β€” it is a resonance indicator, i.e. a barometer of whether or not your message is helpful to the community, regardless of whether or not everyone agrees with it.

So with that as context, here is my free advice for anyone seeking to establish a foothold on NamePros and to join this 5-Figure Like Club:
  • Be helpful: Regardless who you are, it is for sure that you can be helpful. Know your strengths and talents, and just start being helpful or at least encouraging. People will appreciate you.
  • Be engaged: If you read someone’s stuff, engage with it. A like, thank, tag, or follow is feedback, even if you don’t comment on it. This means engaging as a registered user rather than lurking anonymously.
  • Be authentic People value consistency. You can only be consistent if you are authentic. So, I advise to be clear on who you are and to know what you are about. I think it helps to have purpose.
  • Be kind: This place can be hostile at times. I find that you can be genuine without being snarky. Authenticity should come from a place of love, not ego. Easier said than done but try anyway!
  • Be courageous: If you are active on NP, you can expect to draw hostile fire. I find it is better to be loved by a few than to be tolerated by many. This is easier for those with eternal perspective.
  • Be tolerant: It is not a secret that I am a Bible-believing Christian. As such, I sincerely try to judge nobody. I also sincerely try to love everyone and to be optimistic about their (hidden) good qualities.
  • Be patient: NamePros is a place where you get out of it, what you put into it. There is a payoff. However, it comes late, is hard to measure, does not come easy, and comes with consequences.
  • Be curious: There are some very clever and connected people here. You can learn a ton from them, both from reading public posts but especially via PMs and offline engagement.
And when in doubt about what to post or not post, I suggest: when in doubt, leave it out. If you think there is a risk that your post will backfire horribly, I would probably leave that out. However, don't be timid.

I am not sure how big this 5 figure like club is, but I hope that there will be many more inductees in the years ahead as we all work together to make NP awesome and to make the pie bigger for everyone!

I want to thank @MapleDots for starting it all. I also want to thank @Mod Team Alfa, @Mod Team Bravo, @Mod Team Echo and @Mod Team Foxtrot for being patient with me while I learned the rules!

Good luck.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting stats @Mod Team Bravo - thank you for posting them. I am also surprised in a way that there are not more yet in 5-figure club. :xf.smile:

As @Recons.Com points out interesting that user numbers 95x xxx and up are so well represented.

I am sure that the move to like on other social media, as mentioned, makes it that people now give more likes.

So it appears being on NamePros 15 years is still only about member 10,000. Is there a post anywhere of number of NamePros members at end of each year? Is member 1 still active? If so, we should celebrate him/her. :xf.smile:

Bob

It would be fascinating to know:

- Number of registered users
- Number of active users
- Number of users online

It should be a dashboard. It might even exist. Perhaps @Paul Buonopane can comment.

I would then break it down by country, e.g. I am guessing traffic from India, Nigeria, Pakistan is ramping steeply. It would be helpful to see that pattern.

After all, this is a really dull knife:

https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/namepros.com

upload_2019-12-23_17-12-52.png

•••
- Number of users online
That is available. Click Home | Members then on right by Online Now. Currently 199 robots and about 1380 people and it breaks down by members and visitors.

Also how many members in total, threads and posts.

Bob

•••
Caveat:

Newer members have had a greater advantage regarding likes because the Like system has been available the entire time they've been a member and for all of their posts, it's being used more frequently on newer posts now, etc., so older members need to have still been very active in recent years to appear on the list.

Is member 1 still active? If so, we should celebrate him/her. :xf.smile: Or maybe member 1 was registry reserved!:xf.grin:
ID 1 is often the administrator account on forums.

While these things are interesting to discuss, let's please move the secondary discussions to their own threads.

Thanks.

•••
- Number of registered users
- Number of active users
- Number of users online

On the homepage scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and it shows some of that info ( that's what it shows on my smartphone).

While these things are interesting to discuss, let's please stay on topic and move these secondary discussions to their own threads.

Thanks.

Saw this after making my post. D-:

Last edited:
•••
All those reported sales!

Last edited:
•••
You didn't get the joke, I don't think there is a six figure like club at NamePros, at least not yet. ;)
Here's @iowadawg very close to that. The highest I've ever seen.

•••
On December 23, 2019:
  • There are a total of 36 members with at least 10,000 likes.
  • It takes 13,731 likes to be in the top 20 most-liked members of all time.
The current 36 members of the 5-Figure Like Club are:

Needless to say, it's no easy feat. Even if you post daily in sections that are easier to obtain likes, it takes a huge commitment of time, dedication, and contribution to reach these milestones.

It's absolutely not meaningless. The data itself is very valuable and insightful in a variety of ways.

In terms of fair criticism, what you could say is that there is a lot of noise in it, and we could provide more ways to filter out that noise. For example, weighted scores that value the likes based on their difficulty to obtain or importance in a particular section or thread.

We'll respond more later in the thread you started for this topic.

Thanks.
There should be a badge for that! TOP 20

•••
Congrats Rob! Great job here and on Epik.com. If you will be in Austin I'd love to hear what's next for Epik.

Leonard

A short while ago, my NamePros account crossed the mark of 10,000 likes.

•••
wow!
Congrats!
hope to be a member at some point but for now happy to be here.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Congratulations @Rob Monster on joining the 5-figure likes club! And thank you for the incredible amount of work you put into NamePros posts across many different topics.

Also, that is an incredible post above about NamePros. Be kind, engaged, authentic, helpful.... It says it all. A lot of great advice and encouragement for NamePros members new and old.

Bob
I agree

•••
A short while ago, my NamePros account crossed the mark of 10,000 likes. It comes with an instruction:

Show attachment 139615

I guess this is like "Fight Club" only apparently I am supposed to say something.

If you would have asked me 18 months ago about that topic, I would have said with absolute confidence that this would not be happening.

I find "likes" useful for one simple reason β€” it is a resonance indicator, i.e. a barometer of whether or not your message is helpful to the community, regardless of whether or not everyone agrees with it.

So with that as context, here is my free advice for anyone seeking to establish a foothold on NamePros and to join this 5-Figure Like Club:
  • Be helpful: Regardless who you are, it is for sure that you can be helpful. Know your strengths and talents, and just start being helpful or at least encouraging. People will appreciate you.
  • Be engaged: If you read someone’s stuff, engage with it. A like, thank, tag, or follow is feedback, even if you don’t comment on it. This means engaging as a registered user rather than lurking anonymously.
  • Be authentic People value consistency. You can only be consistent if you are authentic. So, I advise to be clear on who you are and to know what you are about. I think it helps to have purpose.
  • Be kind: This place can be hostile at times. I find that you can be genuine without being snarky. Authenticity should come from a place of love, not ego. Easier said than done but try anyway!
  • Be courageous: If you are active on NP, you can expect to draw hostile fire. I find it is better to be loved by a few than to be tolerated by many. This is easier for those with eternal perspective.
  • Be tolerant: It is not a secret that I am a Bible-believing Christian. As such, I sincerely try to judge nobody. I also sincerely try to love everyone and to be optimistic about their (hidden) good qualities.
  • Be patient: NamePros is a place where you get out of it, what you put into it. There is a payoff. However, it comes late, is hard to measure, does not come easy, and comes with consequences.
  • Be curious: There are some very clever and connected people here. You can learn a ton from them, both from reading public posts but especially via PMs and offline engagement.
And when in doubt about what to post or not post, I suggest: when in doubt, leave it out. If you think there is a risk that your post will backfire horribly, I would probably leave that out. However, don't be timid.

I am not sure how big this 5 figure like club is, but I hope that there will be many more inductees in the years ahead as we all work together to make NP awesome and to make the pie bigger for everyone!

I want to thank @MapleDots for starting it all. I also want to thank @Mod Team Alfa, @Mod Team Bravo, @Mod Team Echo and @Mod Team Foxtrot for being patient with me while I learned the rules!

Good luck.
Thank you for sharing.

•••
4k more and you can double post.

•••
4k more and you can double post.

Thanks. I just need to show up more. Will work on that. It has been a busy few months at Epik. Related Tweet:

We did that right on schedule last week and so far smooth sailing with progress on all fronts:

- Resiliency
- Scalability
- Functionality
- Usability

The single sign on service has the potential to open up vast possibilities for frictionless cooperation across the industry ecosystem not just Epik without compromising user security.

As for the pattern of likes, hopefully the list in the OP has helped some folks to get traction here. It was reasonably inspired at the time!

•••
Congratulations Mr @Rob Monster, you deserve the best of compliments

•••
Thanks. I just need to show up more. Will work on that. It has been a busy few months at Epik. Related Tweet:

We did that right on schedule last week and so far smooth sailing with progress on all fronts:

- Resiliency
- Scalability
- Functionality
- Usability

The single sign on service has the potential to open up vast possibilities for frictionless cooperation across the industry ecosystem not just Epik without compromising user security.

As for the pattern of likes, hopefully the list in the OP has helped some folks to get traction here. It was reasonably inspired at the time!
4k early double post

Last edited:
•••
Reporting hand regs seems to be a good way to increase your like count. It can be expensive though. :)

•••
Hey, i just made it to the club Mr Monster. Congrats to me, congrats to you! whoohoo! :)

•••
Hey, i just made it to the club Mr Monster. Congrats to me, congrats to you! whoohoo! :)

Bravo and well deserved. I am not on NP quite as much as before, but always enjoyed your thoughtful commentary and positive engagement. If NP had 1000 folks with that combo, it would change the industry.

•••
•••
Reporting hand regs seems to be a good way to increase your like count. It can be expensive though. :)
Can I please ask what you mean?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back