Dynadot

10,000 Likes - The 5 figure like club!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
A short while ago, my NamePros account crossed the mark of 10,000 likes. It comes with an instruction:

upload_2019-12-21_15-16-54.png

I guess this is like "Fight Club" only apparently I am supposed to say something.

If you would have asked me 18 months ago about that topic, I would have said with absolute confidence that this would not be happening.

I find "likes" useful for one simple reason β€” it is a resonance indicator, i.e. a barometer of whether or not your message is helpful to the community, regardless of whether or not everyone agrees with it.

So with that as context, here is my free advice for anyone seeking to establish a foothold on NamePros and to join this 5-Figure Like Club:
  • Be helpful: Regardless who you are, it is for sure that you can be helpful. Know your strengths and talents, and just start being helpful or at least encouraging. People will appreciate you.
  • Be engaged: If you read someone’s stuff, engage with it. A like, thank, tag, or follow is feedback, even if you don’t comment on it. This means engaging as a registered user rather than lurking anonymously.
  • Be authentic People value consistency. You can only be consistent if you are authentic. So, I advise to be clear on who you are and to know what you are about. I think it helps to have purpose.
  • Be kind: This place can be hostile at times. I find that you can be genuine without being snarky. Authenticity should come from a place of love, not ego. Easier said than done but try anyway!
  • Be courageous: If you are active on NP, you can expect to draw hostile fire. I find it is better to be loved by a few than to be tolerated by many. This is easier for those with eternal perspective.
  • Be tolerant: It is not a secret that I am a Bible-believing Christian. As such, I sincerely try to judge nobody. I also sincerely try to love everyone and to be optimistic about their (hidden) good qualities.
  • Be patient: NamePros is a place where you get out of it, what you put into it. There is a payoff. However, it comes late, is hard to measure, does not come easy, and comes with consequences.
  • Be curious: There are some very clever and connected people here. You can learn a ton from them, both from reading public posts but especially via PMs and offline engagement.
And when in doubt about what to post or not post, I suggest: when in doubt, leave it out. If you think there is a risk that your post will backfire horribly, I would probably leave that out. However, don't be timid.

I am not sure how big this 5 figure like club is, but I hope that there will be many more inductees in the years ahead as we all work together to make NP awesome and to make the pie bigger for everyone!

I want to thank @MapleDots for starting it all. I also want to thank @Mod Team Alfa, @Mod Team Bravo, @Mod Team Echo and @Mod Team Foxtrot for being patient with me while I learned the rules!

Good luck.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
To next 10k! Something tells me next 10,000...

will easier to get

2019 year of the lemonade, Rob
2020 will be year of true disruption!!

just Kidding, disrupted 2019 too! less goooo

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Avoid selling NP Likes on eBay! :xf.grin: (Joke) Congrats!

Last edited:
•••
Congratulations @Rob Monster on joining the 5-figure likes club! And thank you for the incredible amount of work you put into NamePros posts across many different topics.

Also, that is an incredible post above about NamePros. Be kind, engaged, authentic, helpful.... It says it all. A lot of great advice and encouragement for NamePros members new and old.

Bob

•••
Congratulations @Rob Monster on joining the 5-figure likes club! And thank you for the incredible amount of work you put into NamePros posts across many different topics.

Also, that is an incredible post above about NamePros. Be kind, engaged, authentic, helpful.... It says it all. A lot of great advice and encouragement for NamePros members new and old.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I actually think you totally embody all of this. You could have written it, and probably have.

•••
•••
You all keep it up and maybe one day, you will join the top club for likes!
Look to your left......
And then we can be buds....
hahahhahahahaa

•••
Thanks Bob. I actually think you totally embody all of this. You could have written it, and probably have.
Thank you, but no I have not written it, at least that I remember:xf.eek:.

You are putting me out of a writing job by writing so compellingly what I would have written, though. LOL :xf.grin:

I really like the angles about each person has strengths and talents and can be helpful, and you get out of NamePros what you put into it. Don't be surprised if you see me develop that into something I do write sometime. I will try to remember to credit you.:xf.smile:

Bob

•••
You all keep it up and maybe one day, you will join the top club for likes!
Look to your left......
And then we can be buds....
hahahhahahahaa

Thanks @iowadawg - feel free to add your advice. You obviously figured some stuff out along the way. Please keep blazing the trail for the johnny-come-laters of the world like me!

•••
Congratulations, you deserve.it!

•••
Congrats @Rob Monster .. and welcome to the club! :)

You are putting me out of a writing job by writing so compellingly what I would have written, though. LOL :xf.grin:

lol ... Rob and Bob .. you guys often amuse me with your tiny little posts! I'm still trying to get @NamePros to add a leader-board for character count! I still find it amusing they had to lower the post limit to 150,000 characters per post because of me! lol

Be helpful: Regardless who you are, it is for sure that you can be helpful. Know your strengths and talents, and just start being helpful or at least encouraging. People will appreciate you.

What comes around should eventually go around .. and it actually is important that people do step up as they become more successful in the industry as a sign of thanks to the previous generation who helped them. There's always going to be some of the top tier moving on because they've become too successful to have time here .. and that's fine .. as the leaders of today become less involved (where art thou @Kate? lol), that's when it's time for the next generation to step up and make their mark.

This is my third year domaining, and while as most of you know my life outside of domains is pure chaos .. but my 2019 in terms of domaining was one of the few bright spots as I made a noticeable profit. And for me it was old shows of Domain Sherpa (@DomainSherpa) that I listened and relistened to over and over again while taking little Steamie out for mega-walks that really helped my get up to speed. In those days it was mostly @Domain Shane, Drew Rosener (@arosener) and @Frank Schilling who were the regulars of the show. While my background in marketing/clubs/promotions/events (none of which are my "regular job") combined with a rather broad knowledge base (thanks to being very curious most of my life) most definitely helped me be successful, a big part of it was also those sherpas (as well as the less frequent ones) .. and if there's one person who I can say most definitely was likely the largest part of my overall domaining skills, it's probably @Michael Cyger for his part in creating and hosting all those super informative Domain Sherpa shows that were available to me (and anyone else who wants them) for free at just the right moment as I decided to stop being a domain collector (I'll develop that domain one day .. lol .. yeah right) and start being a domainer!

Anyhow .. congrats once again to you and to anyone else who's recently joined the 10k like club! :)

•••
•••
Congrats! To you.

IMO, It's a unified joint contribution from all members that make Namepros what it is today, regardless of likes.

Welcome to the 5 figure like club. You guys rock, or at least 10k+ people thought you did at some point. 😎

•••
Need a pimple face pic for your employee of month photo.

•••
Congrats @Rob Monster ,

We have always liked the good side of you, the side that is a man of faith and who always wants to help others that is. ;)

on the side note in addition to the most liked club I had suggested in another thread that we should create a NamePros elder club (or committee) from the most experienced, fair minded, and compassionate members here (perhaps with a special badge).

IMO

Last edited:
•••
I'm glad the controversy got you posting here...it has been a benefit to us all. Congratulation on the ten grand!

•••
Need a pimple face pic for your employee of month photo.

Here's a winner.....

20626647_10210601369805213_6298604253106528273_o.jpg

If I find my 1985 high school yearbook photo from Germantown Friends School you will see that Dutch bike I rode on every day through the hood with no helmet. These days, I think Child Protective Services would have had an issue with that these days but back then, no sweat.

•••
I'm glad the controversy got you posting here...it has been a benefit to us all. Congratulation on the ten grand!

In retrospect, it was a blessing in disguise. I have been working on my lemonade game ever since.

•••
Congrats @Rob Monster .. and welcome to the club! :)

lol ... Rob and Bob .. you guys often amuse me with your tiny little posts! I'm still trying to get @NamePros to add a leader-board for character count! I still find it amusing they had to lower the post limit to 150,000 characters per post because of me! lol

What comes around should eventually go around .. and it actually is important that people do step up as they become more successful in the industry as a sign of thanks to the previous generation who helped them. There's always going to be some of the top tier moving on because they've become too successful to have time here .. and that's fine .. as the leaders of today become less involved (where art thou @Kate? lol), that's when it's time for the next generation to step up and make their mark.

This is my third year domaining, and while as most of you know my life outside of domains is pure chaos .. but my 2019 in terms of domaining was one of the few bright spots as I made a noticeable profit. And for me it was old shows of Domain Sherpa that I listened and relistened to over and over again while taking little Steamie out for mega-walks that really helped my get up to speed. In those days it was mostly @Domain Shane, Drew Rosener and @Frank Schilling who were the regulars of the show. While my background in marketing/clubs/promotions/events (none of which are my "regular job") combined with a rather broad knowledge base (thanks to being very curious most of my life) most definitely helped me be successful, a big part of it was also those sherpas (as well as the less frequent ones) .. and if there's one person who I can say most definitely was likely the largest part of my overall domaining skills, it's probably @Michael Cyger for his part in creating and hosting all those super informative Domain Sherpa shows that were available to me (and anyone else who wants them) for free at just the right moment as I decided to stop being a domain collector (I'll develop that domain one day .. lol .. yeah right) and start being a domainer!

Anyhow .. congrats once again to you and to anyone else who's recently joined the 10k like club! :)

Thanks @Ategy -- good list there. You mentioned a lot of folks who have carried a lot of water for this industry over an extended period.

If there is one area where I hope to contribute in this industry, I think it will be something to do with emerging markets. I genuinely think the stage is set to bring another 1 billion people online in the next 5 years.

As a result, I could see another net new 100,000 domain investors coming into the mix, as well as many domain investors moving up the value chain to digital brands and turn-key sites.

Thanks to everyone who made (and are making) the pie bigger, and also those who continue to clear the road a bit for folks that came to the industry later.

•••
Congrats Rob , Welcome to the 5 figure like club :) Hope you will have many more achievements in future and we expect the same engagement with NP and thereby contributing your knowledge and experience with all of us in this beautiful community NamePros and ultimately help in growing together :)

Thanks,
Sumeeth

•••
Congrats @Rob Monster ,

We have always liked the good side of you, the side that is a man of faith and who always wants to help others that is. ;)

on the side note in addition to the most liked club I had suggested in another thread that we should create a NamePros elder club (or committee) from the most experienced, fair minded, and compassionate members here (perhaps with a special badge).

IMO

It is an interesting concept. It seems to exist informally.

If it were to come into existence, it should come with some duties, especially around dispute resolution, advocacy, and cleaning up industry messes.

I think one challenge is managing the inbox. Like probably many others here, I sometimes get behind on my DMs, like last week:

upload_2019-12-21_19-47-3.png

I am working on clearing that out this weekend -- apologies for anyone who thinks I am blowing them off. I promise it is not personal!

If someone signs up for some kind of formal ombudsman work, any associated messages will need some special flag so it bumps to the top of the inbox and stays there until viewed.

Anyway, good idea -- formal or informal, the industry could use more ombudsmen.

•••
I think one challenge is managing the inbox.

Maybe the NamePros Elders (ombudsmen) could be given more than one mail box, like one that is only used for resolving disputes and keeping oversight on the forum and Industry matters.

By the way I was going to ask your opinion about a domain that I just registered, but since your mail box is so full I guess I’ll just ask you here, what do you think about DomainMarketeers.com;)

(All rights reserved, including but not limited to any future development)

IMO

Last edited:
•••
Congrats @Rob Monster and Thanks

NamePros has certainly become more engaging and interactive. You and Epik are certainly spearheading some cool initiatives that are essential for the domain industry.

Best Wishes
Leopard

•••
Congratulations Rob. Some really sound advice up there for members. Thanks.

•••
To next 10k! Something tells me next 10,000...

will easier to get

2019 year of the lemonade, Rob
2020 will be year of true disruption!!

just Kidding, disrupted 2019 too! less goooo

Samer

DisruptiveForces.com

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back