Selling your domains with Brandroot

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coral Cove

Know your brand like the back of your hand.Upgraded Member
Impact
Hey guys, I thought I'd take it upon myself and create this thread for Brandroot. We just recently launched our Domain Seller and Logo Designer accounts. This is created for domainers and we want it to be the best experience for you. Please give us your feedback, comments, questions and recommendations here.

We've received a lot of recent feedback and have already worked to update and correct those things. Thank you for bringing it to our attention! Looking forward to reviewing more of your domain names!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So how much to sell a domain?
Or is that a big secret that one will find out only if one registers an account?

•••
•••
Nice to see another market place launch!

In my opinion, those fees are a bit too expensive for a business trying to get new sellers in the door. We don't yet know whether it will pay off because we don't know how much visibility you have with buyers.

If it were me, I'd offer a discounted rate for early adopters in order to build inventory and raise awarness among domain owners. That would also help with sales; and sales would, in turn, help draw in more domain owners to list with you.

As things stand -- even without all the upgrades -- we're talking about a pretty steep ticket for admission:

$10 for a logo
+ from $100 to $500 for a logo design award
+ 30% of the sale amount

So suppose I list 5 domains with you at $2,500 apiece. And suppose 1 of them sells after 1 year. What have I paid?

I've paid at least ($10 + $100) x 5 = $550.

And you'll take a commission of

30% x $2,500 = $750.

So I will have paid $550 + $750 = $1,300 just to get that sale of $2,500.

In other words, your cut is more than HALF if I have a 1 in 5 chance of selling a domain with you during 1 year at a $2,500 level.

And those odds of 1 in 5 are a very generous exaggeration. I cannot imagine that the website's turnover will be 20% per year. How could it be?

Overall, I think it's too expensive a proposition for someone like me.

•••
If I understood properly you pay the logo award only after the sale happened that is what NR does too. So my question for Rader is : why would someone list a name on your platform when you are doing exactly what two other marketplaces are doing? I don't see any " bullet point " or " secret weapon " that will push someone to list on BR rather than on BB or NR.
So if there is any, I would like to know.

•••
Overall, I think it's too expensive a proposition for someone like me.

Logo award is only released after name is sold. But I understand. Brandroot is not for everyone. With our model we intend to keep domain sellers at a minimum in order to drive more sales to the individuals who do decide to list with us. Furthermore, we want to keep the wait times and response times to a minimum.

As to your question about visibility to buyers, our traffic continues to grow along with our sales. In the past 31 days we have received roughly 55,000 visitors. And we expect Brandroot to grow significantly in the coming year. We also have a very healthy flow of sales and leads. Our first domain account holder received 2 offers on 2 separate names in less than a month of listing with us. That's just a snippet of what's going on at Brandroot for all those interested.

If I understood properly you pay the logo award only after the sale happened that is what NR does too. So my question for Rader is : why would someone list a name on your platform when you are doing exactly what two other marketplaces are doing? I don't see any " bullet point " or " secret weapon " that will push someone to list on BR rather than on BB or NR.
So if there is any, I would like to know.

Correct, logo award is released only after the sell. We have no interest in taking you from your current selling platforms. If you are experiencing success then why leave? Brandroot offers an alternative marketplace for those not so fortunate.

Last edited:
•••
congrats! who designed your site?

•••
Last edited:
•••
Correct, logo award is released only after the sell. We have no interest in taking you from your current selling platforms. If you are experiencing success then why leave? Brandroot offers an alternative marketplace for those not so fortunate.

I think I didn't explain myself properly. I wasn't criticizing but actually asking you to clarify some possible differences between BR and the other marketplaces so that we can make a more informed choice.

•••
Obviously I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I would not place my domains for sale on an unproven site where there's an exclusivity requirement. The only domains I might possibly consider listing with you are ones that both BB and namerific reject -- maybe. I'm going to echo what a previous poster said with regards to your terms; they make sense for an established entity, but not so much for a startup.

•••
Please allow our Domain names to list for free for 1 year because its a new launch..after 1 year brandroot will grow in popularity otherwise people will choose namerific because its free to list there also no exclusivity is required ..That's my opinion..:)

•••
@Brandroot

Can you please give us a very detailed explanation of what you do to earn 30% commission. Let's say I give you a name to sell and it sells for $3,000 than I would like to know what you did for me to give you almost $1,000. I understand that we have to pay something for the traffic your site receives so please explain to us the other ways besides traffic. Do you go to startup meetings, trade shows, etc.........

That type of commission is insane when you do not have to physically lift a finger to make any money. You literally do nothing to make the sale. I know car salesman that run around all day trying to make a sale to put a few hundred bucks in their pocket but these marketplaces want us to give you 30% commission for doing very little if any work.

30% commission plus the extra you make on the logo design. If I choose a $500 logo we all know that you are not paying the logo designer $500 because you probably worked out a deal with them to pay them less money. I'll charge $500 and I'll give you $300 so I can line my pockets with an extra $200 which ups your commission to almost 40%. I say this because I have talked to a few designers in the past that have worked with one of these sites and this is what I was told.

Also can you explain to everyone what sets Brandroot apart from the other know marketplaces such as Namerific and Brand Bucket. If I had to choose between the 3 can you give me your best sales pitch as to why I should choose you.

Can you also explain how when a name is sold on your site what you do to protect the seller from fraud. How to do process payments and verify funds before our names are transferred away from us. Do you get signed contracts from the buyers? Do you get any physical verification of the buyer other than just processing a credit card? When you take international orders are you more diligent in your process? Do you use protected sales platforms to protect us as sellers?

Since you called this the Brandroot Experience thread can someone please give us a Brandroot Experience other than Brandroot themselves so we can see a real user experience.

•••
Thanks HookBox for expressing my mind better than I did.

So far it seems the exact copy of what BB and NR are doing that's why I wanted to know what the differences are ( if there is any )

The logo design trick ( because we all know it's a trick ) it's, in my view, cheating. I didn't like NR for doing that and I won't like BR if the same happens there too.

BTW the majority of the traffic BB, NR and ( I am assuming ) BR comes from domainers so playing the card of traffic doesn't work.

•••
BTW the majority of the traffic BB, NR and ( I am assuming ) BR comes from domainers so playing the card of traffic doesn't work.

How in the world could 55K in 30 day traffic come to a website from domainers when they only just now allowed to domainers to sell there? Do you know how much 55K is?

•••
How in the world could 55K in 30 day traffic come to a website from domainers when they only just now allowed to domainers to sell there? Do you know how much 55K is?

hhhmmmmm....let me think...yes I think I know how much 55K is.
This information has bee given to me by the owner of Namerific himself so unless you want to know better than him where his traffic is from..

BrandRoot and Rader has been known on this forum and by domainers longer before you joined NP..
I am assuming that the traffic sources for NR BB and BR are pretty much the same.

•••
hhhmmmmm....let me think...yes I think I know how much 55K is.
This information has bee given to me by the owner of Namerific himself so unless you want to know better than him where his traffic is from..

BrandRoot and Rader has been known on this forum and by domainers longer before you joined NP..
I am assuming that the traffic sources for NR BB and BR are pretty much the same.

You don't seem very smart. BR just very recently started accepting domainers on their site. Why in the world would 55k domainers be visiting their site in the last 30 days?? Hello. If you look at most of the names they have sold, they are developed sites by companies. Most domainers don't do this. And most domainers wouldn't be dumb enough to spend 2k on name that only serves as a brand. Hello.

•••
I also find it pretty trivial how people don't understand what it is that BR does to deserve payment to list. I know a couple of people at BR. If you think having a registered Ccompany, building it from the ground up, working full time on the business, marketing, etc. is all free... then why don't you create your own company that sells as many domains as they do. You want NR (where I see few names ever sold) and BR (where you get lost and lucky in the shuffle) then by on means use them. But with how hard I know people at BR work, the stuff I read in here sounds ludicrous. No wonder why you haven't got a response. I would not respond to loons either. And after submitting names to their site, they are already backed up in name submissions, so looks like they don't need or want your business anyway. Create your own and lay off, unless you know how difficult it is to get 55k visitors to your new site in 30 days. photonmymind obvously has no clue.

•••
You don't seem very smart. BR just very recently started accepting domainers on their site. Why in the world would 55k domainers be visiting their site in the last 30 days?? Hello. If you look at most of the names they have sold, they are developed sites by companies. Most domainers don't do this. And most domainers wouldn't be dumb enough to spend 2k on name that only serves as a brand. Hello.

Lucky that you are smart enough for the 2 of us.
Hello

•••
Logo award is only released after name is sold.

That does make a huge difference compared to what I had assumed. In that case, listing may be viable. I wonder if the wording could be altered to clarify that point ... or perhaps I'm the only person who misconstrued the fee.

Furthermore, we want to keep the wait times and response times to a minimum.

That may be a real advantage over the long time delays at BrandBucket currently.

Brandroot offers an alternative marketplace ...

Even if BrandRoot is very similar to BrandBucket and Namerific, you will undoubtedly pick different domains from those submitted. So it's a chance for domains that weren't chosen elsewhere to get some degree of exposure in the same way at a different site.

I'll probably submit some and give you guys a shot. If they get listed before the domains that were accepted by BrandBucket a month or two ago, then I'll really be impressed. Sales would be nice too.

•••
Lucky that you are smart enough for the 2 of us.
Hello

Haha, with your GREAT domains, im sure u would not stand a chance to be listed on BR anyway...

GameAgora.com
AUUJ.com
NFYH.com
GRIFFATO.com
HempOutLoud.com
EarthOutLoud.com
UltimaTraining.com
ExBooking.com
FantasticUSA.com
XRenewables.com

So why are you wasting time? U would not pay a $1 because non would ever get accepted.

•••
That does make a huge difference compared to what I had assumed. In that case, listing may be viable. I wonder if the wording could be altered to clarify that point ... or perhaps I'm the only person who misconstrued the fee.

That may be a real advantage over the long time delays at BrandBucket currently.

Even if BrandRoot is very similar to BrandBucket and Namerific, you will undoubtedly pick different domains from those submitted. So it's a chance for domains that weren't chosen elsewhere to get some degree of exposure in the same way at a different site.

I'll probably submit some and give you guys a shot. If they get listed before the domains that were accepted by BrandBucket a month or two ago, then I'll really be impressed. Sales would be nice too.

A 3rd marketplace is certainly a good thing for the industry of brandables and so is a 3rd pair of eyes knowing that when it's about brandable names it all comes down to our own personal taste So hopefully Rader would pick names that NR and BB wouldn't as it has often happened between them already ( names taken by BB rejected by NR and viceversa ).

I still would like NR to explain his bullet points or how he is going to be proactive to sell the names. If he will actively go around as a broker, if he will advertise to gain more traffic and interested buyers etc..
I know BB actively contacts potential buyers and NR uses social platforms to find both domainers who want to list their names and buyers.

As another pro said above it would also be interesting if someone could actually talk about their experience with BR.

•••
Rader, I just signed up and submitted 10.

It's a beautifully designed website.

Along the way, I noticed a couple of glitches. Took a screenshot of one of them. The other involved the final submit click. I had to go back and press submit again. It seems to have worked, but hopefully there will be an email confirmation.

•••
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back