IT.COM

discuss Your Thought Process when you Hand Reg Dropped Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

AndyM

Web development services, visit KingdomDesign.comTop Member
Impact
So today I thought I'd share my thought process when hand registering a new domain that has dropped (not been renewed by the previous owner)

I look for dropped domains on expireddomains.net and use the great filters they have to narrow down my search.

I like to find .com domains that have preferably been developed or the .net and/or .org is developed or at least taken and is up for sale and always making sure there are no trade mark issues as well.

Sometimes if I really like the name and there is good potential then I don't always go by the above statement apart from the TM issues.

If the .net is developed I like to do a whois search and make sure I can get a contact email so I can do some outbound. This is a risk and on several occasions I have registered the .com and then reached out to the .net owner and had no response or just a straight knock back.

I usually set a limit on characters of 10, 12 or 14 and I always set the dictionary words to English.

Sometimes I'll put in key words in the "starts with" "ends with" section. I have a list saved with many key words including popular animals, colours/colors, states, cities, and many industry specific words from several sectors such as financial, property and employment.

By doing this I managed to register some of the following names in .com:

TokyoAccess - previously developed here.
TableMath
BoilerMonkey
BarbadosInfo - .net developed
FundingBooth

Another process I follow is to check namebio for previous sales with these key words. For example:
upload_2017-8-18_10-47-14.png

So as a discussion:
What is your process?
Do you just go on instinct?
Do you research the potential and comparable sales?

Give us an example and and if you've had any good sales.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
nice to know, can you tell your hot keyword and how can narrow your filter search

Last edited:
•••
Also check if it has backlinks or previously used (not just parked)

•••
This is a great resource for those unfamiliar with expired domains and how to navigate within their framework to find value!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back