Dynadot

information Your biggest mistakes in domaining

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Michael Ehrhardt

Top Member
Impact
My biggest mistakes so far :

i invested ( wasted ) to much money ( around 6000,-$ )
in Flippa & Sedo Showcase with nearly no results :xf.confused:

let,s learn from our mistakes and share

big-mistake.jpg

538896.png

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That's an easy one for me Michael.

Simply put,

Buying my first domain, starting this horrible addiction. lol

•••
At one point in my life I invested like $50,000 to end up with a bloated non working project. All my savings went into the thin air. But has that stopped me from forging into new ventures? Heck no. I'm walking again, just like a boss for the next hurdle along the bumpy road :xf.smile:

•••
The most talented post title I ever seen. Envy envy :xf.smile:

The most important thing is to learn from your mistakes. Be more mindful about your future decisions.

“Something important I have learned is patience, and turning each failure into a learning experience. ..Instead of calling them "failures" I call them "lessons". Instead of saying, "I failed at that," I say, "I learned from that." Each failure has taught me something incredibly valuable and by recognizing this I can see the hand of God in my life in situations where most people would feel abandoned by Him.”
Lindsey Rietzsch

•••
As for domain selling: Buying and selling 20+ LLL .coms for dirt cheap on Ebay in mid 2000. I made over $100 profit on each one, but that was so ridiculously low compared to what they are going for now.

•••
This was my biggest mistake was not registering 1999.com when I had the chance to register it.

I mentioned it on another post:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/99...ese-market-daily-report-on-11-14-2016.983993/

Basically the story goes like this:
9999.com is a sore point for me.....

When I was in my late teens...just started my 1st year of college...I wanted to register this domain..just for fun and to use it to learn how built a website... I found out it was available but back then ISP I contacted need a credit card or bank account to debit. I had none of those...they did offer me the option to make a cash deposit and fax them the deposit slip... I said okay cool...will do when I have the cash available.... off course that never happened...I was way to busy discovering the wonders of a social lubricant called BEER :) - At that time buying beer seemed to be a more sensible option than buy a domain name.... oh well, ...lol. I could say well at least I made some priceless and amazing memories... this is probably very very true...the problem is I was soo hammered that I don't really remember any of the amazing memories ...lol

•••
No, you aren't stupid. You just paid a high school fee.

•••
•••
Invest in .top domains.
This is my big mistake.

•••
Registering loads of new gtld just to let them drop at renewal time due to high renewal costs..

Kept a few i like but lost $$$$ on dropping

•••
As for domain selling: Buying and selling 20+ LLL .coms for dirt cheap on Ebay in mid 2000. I made over $100 profit on each one, but that was so ridiculously low compared to what they are going for now.

oh this hurts... :xf.wink:
hope you will get any chance to make another good deal

•••
•••
Baaack in the day, interestingly enough, just a few days before Rick Schwartz even reg'd his first domain, I had this idea to reg domains because I saw potential in this new thing called "the internets".

So I made a list of domains, most notably was this list of roughly 500 available LLL.com as well as some dictionary .coms to reg. So all that was left was to get the Moolahs together: each domain carried a $70 registration fee by Netsol, as you may already know from all the stories on NP.

Anyway, I went on with my day-to-day activities, as anyone of my age would have done at the time, and a few days later, when I had my cash-monies together to reg them, they were all gone! :( I wanted to double check, but then...

I heard a loud noise, which caused me to...

wake up from my dream...

Last edited:
•••
•••
Michael, you mean you paid around $ 6,000 for advertisements for your domains on Sedo and Flippa?

and more ...

i know i am stupid :xf.wink:

•••
I think you should try "Featured Domains" on Godaddy.com, for me it is workable.

•••

That's about $2M loss in today's value, quite some heartburn. But never mind, opportunities abound.

•••
Great idea.....I sold my first domain about 4 years ago for $3000, spent most of it registering .mobis and .ws and put them on sedo showcase...about 10-15 of them at $69 a piece ....needless to say nothing sold and I lost a big chunk of that cash.....spent the rest registering crappy names.

•••
Michael, you mean you paid around $ 6,000 for advertisements for your domains on Sedo and Flippa?

•••
some domains got sold on Sedo ( cause of Showcase ) but mainly this was a huge investment
i really thought to get more attraction or domains sold...

i still believe in Showcase but these are to expensive
I only ever bought the domain showcase for $49 on Flippa as it was pretty good value for exposure but they seem to have changed it now so the name is only on the front page for about a third of the time it used to be. Very sneeky of Flippa in my opinion.

•••
39$ i book only in china ( but they will list them in all 7 languages ) :xf.wink:
Thank you but you paid $39 for one month right? and did you sell it for one time or you have to pay several times to sell it?

•••
Where do I begin? Besides holding on to domains for too long, I also let some expire that I had to buy back more expensively (not for domaining, but still a mistake)... And my most recent huge mistake: Too many very poorly chosen RMG domains... very poorly chosen... oh well, I can practice my development, and learn from my expensive mistakes, too!

•••
•••
Just forgot about my stupidest thing ever.

I registered forex.re from internet.bs, LEGALLY because it showed as available and internet.bs put it in my account. I think i posted here as well, and a french guy called me that i stole his domain name and such... I got scared and gave him the domain... I think i was stupid, I should've fight for it...

•••
No, you aren't stupid. You just paid a high school fee.

some domains got sold on Sedo ( cause of Showcase ) but mainly this was a huge investment
i really thought to get more attraction or domains sold...

i still believe in Showcase but these are to expensive

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back