IT.COM

information Your biggest mistakes in domaining

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Michael Ehrhardt

Top Member
Impact
My biggest mistakes so far :

i invested ( wasted ) to much money ( around 6000,-$ )
in Flippa & Sedo Showcase with nearly no results :xf.confused:

let,s learn from our mistakes and share

big-mistake.jpg

538896.png

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Where do I begin? Besides holding on to domains for too long, I also let some expire that I had to buy back more expensively (not for domaining, but still a mistake)... And my most recent huge mistake: Too many very poorly chosen RMG domains... very poorly chosen... oh well, I can practice my development, and learn from my expensive mistakes, too!

•••
I think you should try "Featured Domains" on Godaddy.com, for me it is workable.

•••
•••
Godaddy

hellena.com

£11,799.02 + £10.99/year
£10.99/yr when you renew

I would of changed my name for it now :$:

•••
This was my biggest mistake was not registering 1999.com when I had the chance to register it.

I mentioned it on another post:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/99...ese-market-daily-report-on-11-14-2016.983993/

Basically the story goes like this:
9999.com is a sore point for me.....

When I was in my late teens...just started my 1st year of college...I wanted to register this domain..just for fun and to use it to learn how built a website... I found out it was available but back then ISP I contacted need a credit card or bank account to debit. I had none of those...they did offer me the option to make a cash deposit and fax them the deposit slip... I said okay cool...will do when I have the cash available.... off course that never happened...I was way to busy discovering the wonders of a social lubricant called BEER :) - At that time buying beer seemed to be a more sensible option than buy a domain name.... oh well, ...lol. I could say well at least I made some priceless and amazing memories... this is probably very very true...the problem is I was soo hammered that I don't really remember any of the amazing memories ...lol

•••
As for domain selling: Buying and selling 20+ LLL .coms for dirt cheap on Ebay in mid 2000. I made over $100 profit on each one, but that was so ridiculously low compared to what they are going for now.

That's about $2M loss in today's value, quite some heartburn. But never mind, opportunities abound.

•••
1shrimp.com
backs1.com

hahahahahaha

and buying my first domain, but whatever. ....

•••
Great idea.....I sold my first domain about 4 years ago for $3000, spent most of it registering .mobis and .ws and put them on sedo showcase...about 10-15 of them at $69 a piece ....needless to say nothing sold and I lost a big chunk of that cash.....spent the rest registering crappy names.

•••
In this business, you pay your way.

Don't believe the hype :)

Last edited:
•••
My biggest sorry is that I had no brains when I started this domaining thing... Back in summer of 2006 a lot of domains were available, don't know about 3 chars, but 4 chars were a lot of them... I found them stupid to register something like gfds or fdsa or any other non-sense domains ... now I am sorry...

•••
yeah LLL.com .. 16 years ago .. :)

We not have a crystal ball (if you got, call me) .. so maybe today's fast turnarounds and crap is goldmine 16 years from now.

My biggest mistake (not finally approved yet) is the reason me being here:
sedo short name auction

•••
Thank you but you paid $39 for one month right? and did you sell it for one time or you have to pay several times to sell it?

ShowCase is always for 30 days

•••
Great idea.....I sold my first domain about 4 years ago for $3000, spent most of it registering .mobis and .ws and put them on sedo showcase...about 10-15 of them at $69 a piece ....needless to say nothing sold and I lost a big chunk of that cash.....spent the rest registering crappy names.

book Showcase only in Chinese language ( 39$ ) they will list in all 7 :xf.wink:

•••
don,t make a new mistake and miss the chance to get 2 free .Shop domains

1. DomainDiscount24.com ( https://www.domaindiscount24.com/de/shop-domain )
2. Moniker

:xf.wink:

vaild till 23 dec 2016

just got

Electronics.Shop for free at Moniker
MyUSA.Shop for free at DD24

go for it

•••
Probably that I regged ygx84.com . Got hooked up on chinese domains and decided to do a number and letter combo.

•••
I think you should try "Featured Domains" on Godaddy.com, for me it is workable.

i tried

honestly

i don,t anything on GD

•••
My domains opzo.com, obeb.com have been sold in public auction successfully.

•••
My domains opzo.com, obeb.com have been sold in public auction successfully.

your biggest mistake ? :xf.wink:
did you got a good deal on that domains ?:xf.smile:

•••
Thank you, I haven't made a mistake up to now.

•••
My very first reg...
HimalayanOnline.co.uk
wth even is that :ROFL:

Oh and getting the difference between email marketing and spamming mixed up when I started out domaining..common but terrible mistake to make as a beginner :facepalm::-,

•••
Registering domain names since the mid 1990’s. Back then when myself or any of my business associates would search for domain names, it was always with a specific product/service in mind. We registered a lot of domains.

The stupid sh*t is that we never thought about registering general terms, dictionary words, L, LL, LLL, N, NN or anything outside of what we were focussed on finding (very specific concepts running through our minds). What a bunch of idiots! So many great domains were still available in 1994/1995.

Hindsight is always 20/20…and I very rarely look back with any regret, but this...this is the one time that if I could go back, I’d slap myself like a red headed stepchild!

•••
Registering domain names since the mid 1990’s. Back then when myself or any of my business associates would search for domain names, it was always with a specific product/service in mind. We registered a lot of domains.

The stupid sh*t is that we never thought about registering general terms, dictionary words, L, LL, LLL, N, NN or anything outside of what we were focussed on finding (very specific concepts running through our minds). What a bunch of idiots! So many great domains were still available in 1994/1995.

Hindsight is always 20/20…and I very rarely look back with any regret, but this...this is the one time that if I could go back, I’d slap myself like a red headed stepchild!

Thank you

Honestly
When i opend the first time my Laptop ( back in 1999 )
and i felt i am now connected to the world
I thought : where are all the fotos and videos ? ( Altavista )
Why i didnt make a Website like Facebook ?
Let me slap you and you can slap me :xf.smile:

Thank you again for your story
You never know for what is all that good

Last edited:
•••
If we know what will happen in the future, we are not here like now :D

•••
Oh sometimes you can see and feel the future

I got a vision in 2010
This vision came true in 2012

My biggest mistake : i trusted the wrong people ( German Government )

My idea was a slogan
I got all domain names
I invested 50.000€
I tried to get a TM but they denied ( to general )

In 2012 the german olympic team ,,stole,, my idea ( slogan ) for the olympic games in London

We had a Settlement at court in Frankfurt
The Boss of the Olympic Team ( Thomas Bach ) is the President of IOC now
( International Olympic Commitee )
I am still fighting ( and i still got the domain ) www.wir-für-deutschland.de

One day adidas or DFB ( german soccer team ) will come and buy my domain

This slogan is to good for soccer

That,s why i dont like Trademarks
I didnt got the TM
The olympice team got it for the exact same slogan

Eppur si muove

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back