Dynadot

information Your biggest mistakes in domaining

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Michael Ehrhardt

Top Member
Impact
My biggest mistakes so far :

i invested ( wasted ) to much money ( around 6000,-$ )
in Flippa & Sedo Showcase with nearly no results :xf.confused:

let,s learn from our mistakes and share

big-mistake.jpg

538896.png

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I only ever bought the domain showcase for $49 on Flippa as it was pretty good value for exposure but they seem to have changed it now so the name is only on the front page for about a third of the time it used to be. Very sneeky of Flippa in my opinion.
yes
i don,t like Flippa ShowCase at all
Sedo makes sense but to expensive for 30 days

•••
yes
i don,t like Flippa ShowCase at all
Sedo makes sense but to expensive for 30 days
It needs a site like domainlore.uk but for .coms where they only ever have 50 or so domains on sale at a time. No extras are offered/needed as all domains are on one of just two pages.

•••
It needs a site like domainlore.uk but for .coms where they only ever have 50 or so domains on sale at a time. No extras are offered/needed as all domains are on one of just two pages.

before Sedo changed their Website it was great
now i am confused from that page
it is for me not attractive anymore to book a ShowCase
but still they have some good sales

•••
Invest in .top domains.
This is my big mistake.

you never know

there are some good sales
and i guess they where cheap ?

•••
How much did you pay for a domain on Sedo's showcase?
39$ i book only in china ( but they will list them in all 7 languages ) :xf.wink:

•••
Godaddy

hellena.com

£11,799.02 + £10.99/year
£10.99/yr when you renew

I would of changed my name for it now :$:

•••
My biggest sorry is that I had no brains when I started this domaining thing... Back in summer of 2006 a lot of domains were available, don't know about 3 chars, but 4 chars were a lot of them... I found them stupid to register something like gfds or fdsa or any other non-sense domains ... now I am sorry...

•••
Great idea.....I sold my first domain about 4 years ago for $3000, spent most of it registering .mobis and .ws and put them on sedo showcase...about 10-15 of them at $69 a piece ....needless to say nothing sold and I lost a big chunk of that cash.....spent the rest registering crappy names.

book Showcase only in Chinese language ( 39$ ) they will list in all 7 :xf.wink:

•••
Registering domain names since the mid 1990’s. Back then when myself or any of my business associates would search for domain names, it was always with a specific product/service in mind. We registered a lot of domains.

The stupid sh*t is that we never thought about registering general terms, dictionary words, L, LL, LLL, N, NN or anything outside of what we were focussed on finding (very specific concepts running through our minds). What a bunch of idiots! So many great domains were still available in 1994/1995.

Hindsight is always 20/20…and I very rarely look back with any regret, but this...this is the one time that if I could go back, I’d slap myself like a red headed stepchild!

•••
Registering domain names since the mid 1990’s. Back then when myself or any of my business associates would search for domain names, it was always with a specific product/service in mind. We registered a lot of domains.

The stupid sh*t is that we never thought about registering general terms, dictionary words, L, LL, LLL, N, NN or anything outside of what we were focussed on finding (very specific concepts running through our minds). What a bunch of idiots! So many great domains were still available in 1994/1995.

Hindsight is always 20/20…and I very rarely look back with any regret, but this...this is the one time that if I could go back, I’d slap myself like a red headed stepchild!

Thank you

Honestly
When i opend the first time my Laptop ( back in 1999 )
and i felt i am now connected to the world
I thought : where are all the fotos and videos ? ( Altavista )
Why i didnt make a Website like Facebook ?
Let me slap you and you can slap me :xf.smile:

Thank you again for your story
You never know for what is all that good

Last edited:
•••
Oh sometimes you can see and feel the future

I got a vision in 2010
This vision came true in 2012

My biggest mistake : i trusted the wrong people ( German Government )

My idea was a slogan
I got all domain names
I invested 50.000€
I tried to get a TM but they denied ( to general )

In 2012 the german olympic team ,,stole,, my idea ( slogan ) for the olympic games in London

We had a Settlement at court in Frankfurt
The Boss of the Olympic Team ( Thomas Bach ) is the President of IOC now
( International Olympic Commitee )
I am still fighting ( and i still got the domain ) www.wir-für-deutschland.de

One day adidas or DFB ( german soccer team ) will come and buy my domain

This slogan is to good for soccer

That,s why i dont like Trademarks
I didnt got the TM
The olympice team got it for the exact same slogan

Eppur si muove

•••
Ohh hopefully it is going on well with you. TM domains very headache

I lost a lot of time and money
but one day i wll win....

•••
•••
Bought around 2k domains at 1und1
Terrible registrar.
Had a big big problems with them

•••
I bought chris.net after a big sale of another name I cant mention (NDA)
  • I fell in love with the name chris.net and listened to the hype
  • I wasted the money I made on my first big profit
  • Thought I would always make that big profit
  • Stuck with a name nobody wants that I thought everyone would want = albatros

•••
buying 10 12USD domains and not one 120 USD domain

•••
At one point in my life I invested like $50,000 to end up with a bloated non working project. All my savings went into the thin air. But has that stopped me from forging into new ventures? Heck no. I'm walking again, just like a boss for the next hurdle along the bumpy road :xf.smile:

yes the road is bumpy
thank you

•••
•••
before Sedo changed their Website it was great
now i am confused from that page
it is for me not attractive anymore to book a ShowCase
but still they have some good sales
How much did you pay for a domain on Sedo's showcase?

•••
1shrimp.com
backs1.com

hahahahahaha

and buying my first domain, but whatever. ....

•••
My domains opzo.com, obeb.com have been sold in public auction successfully.

•••
My very first reg...
HimalayanOnline.co.uk
wth even is that :ROFL:

Oh and getting the difference between email marketing and spamming mixed up when I started out domaining..common but terrible mistake to make as a beginner :facepalm::-,

•••
oh...and paying the equivalent of $80 cad to register an io domain with GD (Namecheap is half the price) of 6 numbers....had been away from buying domains for a couple of years, read a couple of things...called a few Asian friends and paid the fee. bah! Now to figure out what to do with it!

•••
I love this thread - should be a top thread for newbies (I am one)
Don't get ahead of yourself because of one great sale.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back