IT.COM

"Yes I'll take it"...then radio silence...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LucidDomains

LucidDomains.comTop Member
Impact
You email a buyer about a domain and they say yes they'll take it.
They say CC/Paypal is preferred. You tell them you use escrow only.
They then go radio silent to the next few emails over the course of the week.
Their email signature has no phone number.
You tract down an apparent telephone number for their business.
He is a CEO of a small but well-funded startup.
He seems legit, not someone who would ordinarily mess you about.
Price is good so moving on to the another buyer is not an option just yet.

What do you do?

1. Do nothing and wait.
2. Send yet another email.
3. Call the number and ask for an update.
4. Something else..

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
With Paypal, you never really can be sure. I understand these concerns. Forums are full of stories how Paypal blocked or limited accounts of very legit businesses with some solid XXK on them. In the end they release them, if you are legit and have all proofs, but it could take weeks and months.
Also, if your usual transaction is just for example up to 2K and all of the sudden you get 10K, there is quite a big chance they limit you and start asking you for additional proofs, docs etc etc.

•••
I wouldn't consider PayPal for this deal.

I use stripe for creditcard payment
I have set it in a way that stripe
sends me the money after 1 week
to my bank account

at that point I would feel ok to transfer the domain

let him know it takes about 10 days
and all should be fine

if you need help with stripe code PM me

•••
I use stripe for creditcard payment
I use 2Checkout for the same purpose.

When i had built my SEO domain shop i didnt want to use Paypal gateway because buyers of SEO domains are often from more or less blackhat world so many of them have so to say more or less fraudster mentality, so i didnt want to see any chargebacks for sold domains. So i have regged at 2CO and am using their gateway since. Practically impossible to get a chargeback for legit deals from them. Yes the fees are higher than Paypal but i can sleep calm.

So anytime i need to take a card payment (or even a Paypal payment for a relative big sum from a person i don't know yet or who seems somehow suspicious to me) i just issue 2CO invoice. Then the buyer pays to them, and when they clear the payment, maximum in few hours, they tell me ok to ship, and i know i can release a domain safely. Getting paid from them once a week.

Last edited:
•••
You contacted them, right? They agreed to buy the domain and asked to pay by credit card or PayPal. You responded saying escrow only. Then no response after that. I really agree that was the issue and you probably would’ve closed the sale if you were open to taking PayPal. I’ve done it many times without trouble. I’ve even transferred domains first then had buyers pay me by PayPal after!

Some buyers thinks if they have to pay for a domain name, it has huge traffic instantly. When you sell them a domain with minimal traffic, they may just charge you back with paypal IMO.

I use 2Checkout for the same purpose.

When i had built my SEO domain shop i didnt want to use Paypal gateway because buyers of SEO domains are often from more or less blackhat world so many of them have so to say more or less fraudster mentality, so i didnt want to see any chargebacks for sold domains. So i have regged at 2CO and am using their gateway since. Practically impossible to get a chargeback for legit deals from them. Yes the fees are higher than Paypal but i can sleep calm.

So anytime i need to take a card payment (or even a Paypal payment for a relative big sum from a person i don't know yet or who seems somehow suspicious to me) i just issue 2CO invoice. Then the buyer pays to them, and when they clear the payment, maximum in few hours, they tell me ok to ship, and i know i can release a domain safely. Getting paid from them once a week.

I am new to 2CO and I have to keep 100% refund policy, but after the refund period pass I can sleep.

•••
1. Do nothing and wait.
It's the golden rule. Never be desperate to sell.

•••
I am new to 2CO and I have to keep 100% refund policy
2CO demand you to have Refund Policy stated on your site. ANY refund policy. You should have the refund policy and to follow this refund policy. That's all they worry about in this regard. My refund policy is NO REFUND. It's placed there and 2CO was pleased with it.

•••
2CO demand you to have Refund Policy stated on your site. ANY refund policy. You should have the refund policy and to follow this refund policy. That's all they worry about in this regard. My refund policy is NO REFUND. It's placed there and 2CO was pleased with it.

Interesting, I was dealing with an office in EU and they made it clear to have the full refund available. I'll go over the policy one more time. Thanks for heads up.

•••
Interesting, I was dealing with an office in EU and they made it clear to have the full refund available. I'll go over the policy one more time. Thanks for heads up.
Maybe something has changed since, that was a few years ago. But i specifically asked their support back then and they replied it's totally okay. Should be still there somewhere in my emails. But i wouldn't blindly apply it to your case of course, if now they tell differently.

•••
If you have an agreement on price, you log in to escrow.com and set up the transaction using their E-mail address. You can split escrow fees 50/50 to sweeten the deal (this is what I usually do).
Then they'll receive an automatic notification by E-mail from escrow.com to complete registration. Then a reminder if they don't proceed in the next few days.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back