Dynadot

discuss Year in review . . . what a difference a year makes!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Want2learn

Top Member
Impact
Let me start off by saying this community has been great for and to me. Thank you!! There are a lot of people that have shaped my thinking about domaining, and perhaps life a little bit! I cant possibly remember everyone, but I want to give a few shout outs! I think @MapleDots was one of the first domainers to lend me the olive branch! @toughdomains was very helpful even before I became their biggest fan. Ironically I had had a fristrating experience, and emailed TD, and I guess he got the call to respond. He was super professional and helpful, took care of my concerns and here we are!! @Silentptnr has been helpful, as I have read his notes, experiences, posts, and occasional private message! @Eric Lyon and @Amanda have been there to moderate, coach, rebuke, encourage, and inform along the way. There are so many more, but when I am not online domaining like I was it is hard to remember them all. And this business is fluid and transient.

I jumped right in to domaining head and feet first. This is probably not the right business to do that in. Since this isnt a if I could redo things post Ill spare those thoughts the best I can!!

The difference a year can make . . . I am bankrupt and divorced now. That is bad news. I would say there is a correlation, but most certainly not causation with respect to the domaining.

Let me say . . . the people here have been there done that and gotten the tee shirt. Unless you (Newbies) are some kind of anomaly you are not likely to bust in to this business on hand regs alone. I have a few hand regs in 2018. I had gotten up to over 400 names with 350ish of them being hand regs prior to 2018. There are some people here that want to have huge portfolios that will give you $2-3 a name. I dont even know why. Id guess I sold 100s of them to those folks. I have given quite a few names away. I have had those potential trademarked names as well, and I believe they have been deleted. I did begin to heed advice and start buying 4L domains. Not always with much forethought, and we know forethought matters dot com! I spent quite a bit of money with NameJet. I am looking up the total now $5148. I have sold one name on Namejet, RedParrot.com. I think that was it. Either 2 Rs or 2 Ts, but not 2 Rs and Ts! I sold one name on GoDaddy. It was an adult name. It wasnt even what I cosidered to be my best adult name! And I sold one name on SEDO, LoveSmiled.com. I have actually sold a few names through the Tough Domains platform. Inveentory, Cash4Smartphones, and Okw8 all king. I have sold a few names here on Namepros. I think my sales here total about $2600. And I have 10 4Ls remaining! I will say that @NameJetGM with their collusion with that one bidder ran my totals up for sure. Funny thing is I still havent gotten my sale money from their site. Ill be a part of a class action lawsuit if one ever materializes! I think I am probably in a place to break even or almost break even with the 4Ls from Namejet . . . if things cut right for me! I will need several more sales from my other names to recoup that GoDaddy, Uniregistry, eWallhost, and NameSilo hand reg money.

I am mobilizing my portfolio towards names that I plan to keep for the long haul. For example, I have a name BeyondHunting, MainstreetGuns, RideOakland, AtlantaFamilyPractice, Beatles dot One, LasVegasMarijuanaMart, marijuanamartvegas, MinneapolisFamilyPractice, MisterAtlanta, NycHerbals, and NycHerbs all dot com except the dot one. Essentially I want to have my portfolio of these sorts of names to be 150 names or less. I am at about 250ish now. This guy does not ever want to have more than 200 names again. One of the positives about domain name investing is it takes little money to jump in and hand reg. Ofcourse I do not suggest doing this. So I am filtering my portfolio and working with a marketing guru on some outbound!! I believe the domain king says to buy a $50k name if you want to sell a $100k name . . . or something like that.

I am telling myself, dont throw good money after bad! There are some names I like that I think have big potential. SpecificLearningDisability (KING), for example. The board consensus was to drop it. No way. I am a special education teacher. There are roughly 8 categories of special education, and SLD is the biggest. Perhaps dot org would be better in this case, but Im renewing this name for life . . . Okay I dont feel that strongly about most of my names, but that one for sure. It is for sale of course, I am just pointing out Ill keep renewing this one!!

Anyways my big take aways are:

Buy good names to start with! You cant go buy prime real estate for nothing, same with domains!
Dont hand reg.
If you must hand reg, set a budget and stick to it.
Dont fall in love with just any ole domains. If you have one like my specificilearningdisability, fine! but as a general rule every name should be for sale. Unless you have premier and prime names of value, dont reject offers. Dont accept bad offers, but dont reject them just because you arent getting all you want.
Do not buy adult names unless that is your industry.
Do not think that a name like find your honda dot com is waiting around for you and is awesome regardless of what GoDaddy rep tells you!!
Enjoy the ride, we live once!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Let me start off by saying this community has been great for and to me. Thank you!! There are a lot of people that have shaped my thinking about domaining, and perhaps life a little bit! I cant possibly remember everyone, but I want to give a few shout outs! I think @MapleDots was one of the first domainers to lend me the olive branch! @toughdomains was very helpful even before I became their biggest fan. Ironically I had had a fristrating experience, and emailed TD, and I guess he got the call to respond. He was super professional and helpful, took care of my concerns and here we are!! @Silentptnr has been helpful, as I have read his notes, experiences, posts, and occasional private message! @Eric Lyon and @Amanda have been there to moderate, coach, rebuke, encourage, and inform along the way. There are so many more, but when I am not online domaining like I was it is hard to remember them all. And this business is fluid and transient.

I jumped right in to domaining head and feet first. This is probably not the right business to do that in. Since this isnt a if I could redo things post Ill spare those thoughts the best I can!!

The difference a year can make . . . I am bankrupt and divorced now. That is bad news. I would say there is a correlation, but most certainly not causation with respect to the domaining.

Let me say . . . the people here have been there done that and gotten the tee shirt. Unless you (Newbies) are some kind of anomaly you are not likely to bust in to this business on hand regs alone. I have a few hand regs in 2018. I had gotten up to over 400 names with 350ish of them being hand regs prior to 2018. There are some people here that want to have huge portfolios that will give you $2-3 a name. I dont even know why. Id guess I sold 100s of them to those folks. I have given quite a few names away. I have had those potential trademarked names as well, and I believe they have been deleted. I did begin to heed advice and start buying 4L domains. Not always with much forethought, and we know forethought matters dot com! I spent quite a bit of money with NameJet. I am looking up the total now $5148. I have sold one name on Namejet, RedParrot.com. I think that was it. Either 2 Rs or 2 Ts, but not 2 Rs and Ts! I sold one name on GoDaddy. It was an adult name. It wasnt even what I cosidered to be my best adult name! And I sold one name on SEDO, LoveSmiled.com. I have actually sold a few names through the Tough Domains platform. Inveentory, Cash4Smartphones, and Okw8 all king. I have sold a few names here on Namepros. I think my sales here total about $2600. And I have 10 4Ls remaining! I will say that @NameJetGM with their collusion with that one bidder ran my totals up for sure. Funny thing is I still havent gotten my sale money from their site. Ill be a part of a class action lawsuit if one ever materializes! I think I am probably in a place to break even or almost break even with the 4Ls from Namejet . . . if things cut right for me! I will need several more sales from my other names to recoup that GoDaddy, Uniregistry, eWallhost, and NameSilo hand reg money.

I am mobilizing my portfolio towards names that I plan to keep for the long haul. For example, I have a name BeyondHunting, MainstreetGuns, RideOakland, AtlantaFamilyPractice, Beatles dot One, LasVegasMarijuanaMart, marijuanamartvegas, MinneapolisFamilyPractice, MisterAtlanta, NycHerbals, and NycHerbs all dot com except the dot one. Essentially I want to have my portfolio of these sorts of names to be 150 names or less. I am at about 250ish now. This guy does not ever want to have more than 200 names again. One of the positives about domain name investing is it takes little money to jump in and hand reg. Ofcourse I do not suggest doing this. So I am filtering my portfolio and working with a marketing guru on some outbound!! I believe the domain king says to buy a $50k name if you want to sell a $100k name . . . or something like that.

I am telling myself, dont throw good money after bad! There are some names I like that I think have big potential. SpecificLearningDisability (KING), for example. The board consensus was to drop it. No way. I am a special education teacher. There are roughly 8 categories of special education, and SLD is the biggest. Perhaps dot org would be better in this case, but Im renewing this name for life . . . Okay I dont feel that strongly about most of my names, but that one for sure. It is for sale of course, I am just pointing out Ill keep renewing this one!!

Anyways my big take aways are:

Buy good names to start with! You cant go buy prime real estate for nothing, same with domains!
Dont hand reg.
If you must hand reg, set a budget and stick to it.
Dont fall in love with just any ole domains. If you have one like my specificilearningdisability, fine! but as a general rule every name should be for sale. Unless you have premier and prime names of value, dont reject offers. Dont accept bad offers, but dont reject them just because you arent getting all you want.
Do not buy adult names unless that is your industry.
Do not think that a name like find your honda dot com is waiting around for you and is awesome regardless of what GoDaddy rep tells you!!
Enjoy the ride, we live once!!
Thanks for sharing friend.

•••
Gonna give it to you hard:

Some people have to find out for themselves. My man, your big take-aways have been embedded in NP for eons, waiting to be looked up and read. I saw you starting out, the names you were choosing, it seriously hurt sometimes. Now just because you were handed olive branches doesn't mean the people giving them to you have your best interests in mind or even know what an olive branch is.

Ouch- this is terrible. I mean, WTH?? If it wasn't a direct correlation from domaining, maybe domaining was an outlet to deal with what was happening in your life at the time? Under duress, no one can make good choices. Money can just fly, with no lasting results. Prioritize, focus on getting your house in order before sinking any kind of serious funds into investments.

Enjoy the ride, we only live once!!

Dude, you are not a teenager. Fine, enjoy the ride, but don't be taken for one.

Thanks for opening up, I'm sure this could be an eye-opener for some. Keep some of your good names. Try multiple sales platforms. Hold off on future purchases. Keep trimming till you've got 100% quality not quantity. Take care of yourself and your family, first.

•••
Wow, all my best to you, a double whammy of bad news :xf.frown:

Half of all divorces are over finances so chances are there was some correlation there but it is very sad to hear about your situations. Healing starts by sharing and accepting your situation so in that regards at least by posting here you have begun your healing journey.

I wish you nothing but the best moving forward and hope 2018 will turn out to be a better year for you (y)

•••
All best for your year ahead @Want2learn. I hope things improve for you.

•••
I think everyone here has wasted some $$ on a bad name that never returned. But good names are always good names (even if you get constant offers to buy it for $200)
Bought my first domain in on Aug 16th 1999 and since I have invested nearly 100k and made a great return and still sitting on a great portfolio. I have been involved in alot of businesses and
I have made the biggest gains from startups, stocks, crypto, domains and actual real estate.
I feel everyone should have some digital assets in their portfolio.
I have started and sold or folded over 5 companies in the last 20 years and invested in many different ideas and products....but domains still remain in my top 5 of all time best investments but as with everything you invest in.....there is a learning curve and unless you are being lead by a veteran from the start, you are bound to make some mistakes along the way...

It sounds like the last year was a bumpy ride for you....but when I start to dwell on the past I remember a saying that always helps me...
The past is history
The future is a mystery
Now is a gift ....thats why its call the present
Forget the past (but learn from your mistakes) enjoy the present and dont worry about the future it will come soon enough...

Stay positive and trust your instincts...

•••
Thank you all for the feedback. Life and domaining are like a mixed bag of chocolates . . . you never know what you are going to get even though you may have taken the candy out and figured the odds for each piece . . .

•••
We joined at about the same time, so I’ve always been interested to read your posts when I’ve seen them.
I hope the tough times are behind you and wish you all the best moving forward (y)

•••
We joined very close in time. I always noticed how gracious you are even when people were ripping apart your names. I think the first year of domaining might be the hardest. Many lessons to learn and inevitable mistakes. You have such a good attitude I have no doubt you will succeed in anything you set your mind to.

As far as the personal matters, this too shall pass. Hope 2018 is better for you.

•••
Thanks for sharing your experience. You will only get better from here. Best Wishes.

•••
I started few months earlier and actually made some money in domaining (Profitable in first year) after taking out all costs.

The only suggestion I will give to you is START DOING OUTBOUNDS - If it weren't for outbounds I would have sold 0 domains. Not only it brought me sales but helped me revamp my outbound and overall domaining skills. It also helps speed up the learning curve of domaining, you talk with end users, you start seeing things from their perspective and it eventually helps you out registering/buying names that actually sell.

Best of luck for everything that comes your way!

•••
Well said! Best of luck with future sales @Want2learn. (y)

•••
if EMD still availble for hand reg, I don't think it will hurt anyone! but I have to admit hand Reg is not for everyone! :xf.grin:

•••
Well written thoughts, Good Luck 👍

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back