Dynadot

XYZCompanySupport.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I decided to create a support site for users of a common software tool.
The name of the tool is a registered Trademark.
I registered the domain using the name of the tool+support.com, creating XYZcompanySupport.com.

Should I be concerned, I have contacted the vendor and asked for their legal contact to review before putting any more effort into the site.

Do some just not care about the use of TM's by similar support/fan sites:
http://forums.msexchange.org/ --- Exchange is a TM of microsoft.
There are similar sites that promote and help support the product, are they just not pursed?

If I do decide to change my domain name to say another domain name, can I still discuss the Trademarked name freely?

Thanks all,

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
From reading all the other posts on this forums it appears I will certainly not win a battle for XYZCompanySupport.com.

Can someone tell me if it is illegal to host a forum which discusses a trademarked name?

Example:

Say I host www.SoftwareUser.com

And I have some forums on which I discuss: Microsoft Office, Vista, Oracle Databases, etc.

Any issues with that?

•••
As far as your first quesiton, fansites are protect freedom of speach as long as you abide by the correct way to set it up and run it. You are infringing, but if you show "fair usage" and establish rights to the domain, you should be ok.

As far as your second one, it is perfectly legal to discuss products/services. But like anything else, it all depends on how you go about it.

•••
DNQuest.com said:
As far as your first quesiton, fansites are protect freedom of speach as long as you abide by the correct way to set it up and run it. You are infringing, but if you show "fair usage" and establish rights to the domain, you should be ok.

As far as your second one, it is perfectly legal to discuss products/services. But like anything else, it all depends on how you go about it.

Thank you,

My plans were to create a professional forum for users of the software.
If I have to change the name not a huge issue.

So as long as they are moderated i dont see any concerns for slander etc against the sw vendor.

Thanks again,

•••
As far as the fansite issue is concerned, also remember that you are not allowed to in any way make revenue from the site, otherwise it is no longer protected...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back