Dynadot

.XYZ below 5 million. Dropped 168k today

NameSilo
Watch

Fancy.domains

Top Member
Impact
According to Domainpunch, .xyz today dropped 168170 names and is now below 5 million in total. Maybe not much of a news update, but just FYI.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So, when is Daniel selling .xyz? I think that will ultimately happen.

When it gets up in value according to the advertising and can trade equally as a bitcoin!

•••
•••
•••
Lot of spam sites and spam registrations were getting dropped. Its getting clean.

•••
Its getting clean.
Hmm. It's more like cleaning up nuclear waste, once exposed and damaged you never can get rid of the previous contamination.

•••
Hmm. It's more like cleaning up nuclear waste, once exposed and damaged you never can get rid of the previous contamination.
Not really. Most TLDs have domain names that drop without anyone noticing. It is like the only people who remember are domainers or people who deal with TLDs. There are more deleted domain names than there are currently active domain names.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Not really. Most TLDs have domain names that drop without anyone noticing. It is like the only people who remember are domainers or people who deal with TLDs. There are more deleted domain names than there are currently active domain names.

Regards...jmcc

I am referring to the perception of the entire extension, especially when you give them away for a penny, it ruins any perceived value....though the markets do have short memories.
I like your website btw, thanks for it! I used the 500 top list ing.com, .ers.com for sorting expired lists, thanks for hosting it!

•••
I am referring to the perception of the entire extension, especially when you give them away for a penny, it ruins any perceived value....though the markets do have short memories.
The market seems to have a shorter attention span than a goldfish. There are more domain names deleted than are currently registered. The 1c promo was a calculated move by XYZ. Normally, about 5% or so of heavily discounted domains renew. If XYZ manages to get close to that, the promotion has been a success. But it does make it a lot more difficult for people who are developing websites on the TLD when people start to think of it as a wasteland or zombie gTLD.

I like your website btw, thanks for it! I used the 500 top list ing.com, .ers.com for sorting expired lists, thanks for hosting it!
Thanks. I must update some of those lists. I've built a table with the most popular domain names across all the legacy gTLDs (COM/NET/ORG/BIZ/INFO/MOBI/ASIA) and the new gTLDs that might be of some use. Have to get the time to merge it into the site.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
Add .PRO (2004) into your legacy list...

Last edited:
•••
got 2 emails today - Europe Registry ( europeregistry.com ) and Only Domains ( onlydomains.com ) offering me a free .xyz domain...

"Limited time only! Offer expires July 31"

•••
171,173 (5.074%) of June 2016 new XYZ domains left in yesterday's zone. 171,173 out of 3,373,359.

Total XYZ: 2,397,693

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
•••
Lot of spam sites and spam registrations were getting dropped. Its getting clean.
This is something that a lot of people don't realise. When a TLD starts to drop speculative registrations, most of these speculative registrations had no working or developed website attached. Domains with developed websites are less likely to drop than domains with no website. Thus the web usage percentage for .XYZ will have increased as a percentage of overall registrations. However the usage in XYZ is lower than that for .COM or the ccTLDs.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Today's XYZ count: 2,393,438
June 2016 new XYZ remaining: 166,203 (4.926%)
June 2016 deleted from zone: 3,207,156

Regards...jmcc

•••
WHERE CAN I FIND THE LISTS OF THE DROPS ?????
(NEW DROPS, AND DROPS FROM THE PAST MONTH ?)

Please answer here and in a PM , Thanks

AND MY VIEW ON THIS SUBJECT =>> I think, putting registration at 1 USD of even enormously low last year, on a couple of days and only getting renewals at 10 USD, is not the strategy they should use.
It would be better setting renewalpricing at 5USD of 4 USD => Lots of people would keep their domainname in that case

Last edited:
•••
Don't look like 111bclass made much difference.

•••
•••
Today: 2,387,052
June 2016 in zone: 157,788 (4.68%)
June 2016 deleted: 3,215,571

Regards...jmcc

•••
Add .PRO (2004) into your legacy list...
I haven't been tracking .PRO at zone file level back to 2004. I've got some registry report data and the zones from when it was included in the CZDS. It got hit with the Chinese Bubble registrations but most of them were deleted in January this year.

Regards...jmcc

•••
I have not asked you about CHIPs, I just asked to add .PRO among legacy TLDs as it must be apriori.

•••
3.92% as of yesterday's zone.

Regards...jmcc

•••
120,145 left in zone out of 3,373,359 June 2016 new registrations. (29 July 2017)
3.56%

Regards...jmcc

•••
It's just not a particularly appealing letter set. It's perhaps somewhat enlightening to know that a project with the weight and power of google behind it still has the potential to fail.

•••
It's just not a particularly appealing letter set. It's perhaps somewhat enlightening to know that a project with the weight and power of google behind it still has the potential to fail.
It doesn't have the power of Google behind it. Google just decidd to call its corporate holding operation 'abc' and .xyz was the best gTLD to use. It has also tried to purchase the 'abc' string in other TLDs, I think. In publicity terms, it put the .XYZ gTLD on the map and gave it a boost. However, It is not a failure. In terms of marketing, .XYZ is quite good and it still has approximately 2.3 million registrations. It is not a .COM killer but the fragmentation of the market into geographical and niche gTLDs has changed things for generic TLDs. The deals that .XYZ did with various registrars to promoted discounted registrations has locked the gTLD into a Boom and Bust cycle with spikes in new registrations followed by spikes in deletions a year or so later. Nobody expected the 1 cent promotion domains to renew in large numbers. The renewal rate for discounted domain names in established gTLDs can be as low as 5% but it depends on the discount. Freebies tend to have the worst renewal rates and if this promotion comes out with over 1.5% renewals, it will be doing well. The renewal period for a gTLD domain name is approximately 45 days so the actual renewal rates won't be known until the end of the promotion date plus a year and 45 days or so. ICANN publishes the official renewal data in the registry reports and these are delayed by three months. Some of us who track registrations at a domain name level can estimate renewal rates by watching when a domain name appears as new and is then deleted from the zonefile. It is not perfect but it can show how a TLD is performing. While the deletions on .XYZ are large in terms of new gTLDs, the number of .COM domains that were once registered, deleted and never reregistered is in the hundreds of millions.

Regards...jmcc

•••
It doesn't have the power of Google behind it. Google just decidd to call its corporate holding operation 'abc' and .xyz was the best gTLD to use. It has also tried to purchase the 'abc' string in other TLDs, I think. In publicity terms, it put the .XYZ gTLD on the map and gave it a boost. However, It is not a failure. In terms of marketing, .XYZ is quite good and it still has approximately 2.3 million registrations. It is not a .COM killer but the fragmentation of the market into geographical and niche gTLDs has changed things for generic TLDs. The deals that .XYZ did with various registrars to promoted discounted registrations has locked the gTLD into a Boom and Bust cycle with spikes in new registrations followed by spikes in deletions a year or so later. Nobody expected the 1 cent promotion domains to renew in large numbers. The renewal rate for discounted domain names in established gTLDs can be as low as 5% but it depends on the discount. Freebies tend to have the worst renewal rates and if this promotion comes out with over 1.5% renewals, it will be doing well. The renewal period for a gTLD domain name is approximately 45 days so the actual renewal rates won't be known until the end of the promotion date plus a year and 45 days or so. ICANN publishes the official renewal data in the registry reports and these are delayed by three months. Some of us who track registrations at a domain name level can estimate renewal rates by watching when a domain name appears as new and is then deleted from the zonefile. It is not perfect but it can show how a TLD is performing. While the deletions on .XYZ are large in terms of new gTLDs, the number of .COM domains that were once registered, deleted and never reregistered is in the hundreds of millions.

Regards...jmcc

I will happily say that I was unaware of much of this information. Thank you for writing this up and clearing some of my misconceptions - as well I'm sure as others that will choose to read what you've written.

Cheers,
Secured

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back