Top Member
John Berryhill, Ph.d., Esq.
Impact
http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-01jun05.htm

sTLD Update:
ICANN Moves Forward in First Phase
Commercial & Technical Negotiations with an Additional sTLD Applicant

1 June 2005

ICANN is pleased to announce that the independent evaluation process, which began last year, has resulted in a further sponsored Top Level Domain (sTLD) application moving to the next stage.

As the process for selecting new sponsored Top Level Domain (sTLDs) continues from a pool of ten applications, ICANN has now entered into commercial and technical negotiations with an additional candidate registry, ICM Registry, Inc, (.XXX).

ICANN recently announced the designation of two new sponsored Top-Level Domains (sTLDs), .JOBS and .TRAVEL at the 22nd ICANN International meeting in Mar del Plata, Argentina.

ICANN has also recently entered into commercial and technical negotiations with the following additional candidate registries, .CAT, .POST & .MOBI.

Discussions continue among ICANN Board and Staff regarding the evaluation of four additional proposed sponsored Top Level Domains (sTLDs): .ASIA, .MAIL, .TEL-Pulver, & .TEL-Telnic.

An update on the status and progress of the additional applicants will be made as they proceed further through the process.

Please address any media enquires concerning the registry applicant, ICM, to Stuart Lawley +1 (202) 585- 0259 or visit www.icmregistry.com for more information. For any enquires concerning ICANN please email [email protected].

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks, very informative :D

•••
.xxx by the end of the year maybe? :D *hopefully*

•••
.XXX will be a sTLD (sponsored) so I wonder what exactly the details are for that aspect of it?

(other than the reported $60 reg fee)

•••
The Domain market is being flooded.

•••
Yes, but it is not flooded with good, marketable extensions like .COM and .XXX. These are great extensions and very marketable. especially .XXX. Easy to remember and MOST people understand what XXX stands for. In that respect, .com is not as goos as most web surfers have no idea that COM is short for commerce. .COM is only a great extension because it was the pioneer extension and it is engrined into the heads of th evast majority of websurfers, especially in the US.

BTW, I don;t understand all this sTLD, gTLD, etc. You say that sTLD means "sponsored" TLD. So what makes a "sponsored" TLD different from any other TLD? Why is .XXX an sTLD and not just a TLD?

•••
.xxx has been around for a while from New.net who run their own root servers, what will happen to these names?

Will there be lawsuits?

I know New.net names need browser plugins.

•••
New.net never realy sold real, ICANN approved .XXX. You have to have their plugin (which messed up my browser) in order to see a site that is developed under New.net's .XXX domains.

Will there be a lawsuit? Who knows.

Wht will happen to these registered New.net .XXX domains? Nothing probably. Now with the approval of the real .XXX domains, they are even more worthless tan they were before.

•••
ill be the first to register hot.mail

•••
templaterave said:
ill be the first to register hot.mail

And be the first to get sued by Bill :lol:

•••
Jimmy Changa said:
And be the first to get sued by Bill :lol:

.mail was proposed and sponsored by the worlds post offices. I would guess that unless you start a country and open your own post office, you'll never have a chance to register one. I think they are to be heirarchical based on country and postal codes.

•••
Thanks for the article. I would of thought by now they would of had it before.

•••
When .xxx extension will be ready?

•••
•••
AdoptableDomains said:
.mail was proposed and sponsored by the worlds post offices. I would guess that unless you start a country and open your own post office, you'll never have a chance to register one. I think they are to be heirarchical based on country and postal codes.

ya maybe, but the iccan is just a bunch of wanna be microsoft workers...

•••
its an adult site TLD. Nice :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back