IT.COM

advice WTF is this guy talking about?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
How do you explain to a chick what you do for a living as a domainer without making it sound like the most boring job on earth? How can you spin this to make it look interesting without boasting? Maybe i'll just pretend to be an architect...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
Lol @ the pic in there
DOMAINER-dating.jpg

Attachments

• DOMAINER-dating.jpg
    DOMAINER-dating.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 31
•••
•••
I usually tell people, "I'm an Internet entrepreneur, I broker, buy and sell domains, it's like Real Estate but online so it gives me flexibility as long as I have a computer to travel, see family and lots of very things girls find very interesting" ;)

•••
Just show them how much you pay in renewals each month ,and let their minds do the rest ,unless they are blonds and you can just tell them your the facebook guy
im a blonde....

•••
depends on the scenario

If you are looking for a quick lay: just say you do investing .. if she says what kind ... just say non-tangibles ... keep it vague .... and then let her tell u about her job and talk her head off ....

when (and if you want to) you get more serious, then you can break it down... showing people the LLL.com sales on shortnames.com is always a good conversation topic, since people outside of domaining have no idea that LL.com and LLL.com's sell for so much. Ask her what domain she would want to own ... and show her the estibot value.... Get creative with it lol

•••
How do you explain to a chick what you do for a living as a domainer without making it sound like the most boring job on earth? How can you spin this to make it look interesting without boasting? Maybe i'll just pretend to be an architect...
A lot of women don't care what you do. It's who you are. That's how I ended up with two penniless ex-husband's BUT you can say that you invest and sell intangibles. Or you deal with IP's (intellectual properties), then ask what SHE does. Focus on her. You'll win!

•••
Wow smurugappan, aggressive sir!

•••
How do you explain to a chick what you do for a living as a domainer without making it sound like the most boring job on earth?

You don't - because domaining is boring to most people who aren't involved, and even seems slightly seedy to many. Would you talk about your stock options to any woman you are interested in? Also boring. Nobody cares. They may care that you are rich, but they don't want to hear the details - because they are boring.

Accept that much of your life is spent doing something others have no interest in. Accept that you won't be able to share the thrills and heartbreaks with anyone except fellow domainers. Accept that there's an inverse relationship between the time you spend talking about domains and the interest a woman will have in you. Find something interesting to talk about.

When asked how you make a living, just tell them it's boring. If they insist, tell them, but keep your boredom radar set to high. Chances are they will be satisfied with your answer within the first few sentences. Don't drone on about it. If they seemed curious, it was only because they wanted to make sure you weren't something interesting - like a drug dealer.

Domaining is a lonely business. Even lonelier if you try to share it with others.

Last edited:
•••
She asks: Q: What do you do for a living?...

A: Do you play Scrabble?

Q: Yes.

A: So you know some words and letters are really valuable?

Q: So you play Scrabble all day? For money?

A: No, I sell words.

Q: So you get paid to help people cheat at Scrabble?

A: Let me get you another drink.

•••
Say something like this: "I'm going to Vegas in a few weeks for this dumbass NamesCon conference, wanna come with?" Done deal!

•••
I just tell them I'm a treasure hunter and their interest immediately peaks. Then I tell them about domain speculation. Most people I tell about domain speculation find it fascinating.

•••

A confident guy can describe any occupation in an interesting way. If her eyes are glazing over it's because your not into it, if you were, she would be too.

Last edited:
•••
•••

You've got it easy, think about the millions of domainers who have to explain to there spouses why they spend hundreds of hours a week, and hundreds of dollars a week, on domaining with no return on investment yet. I can remember when I started I had dialup so no one could use the phone, it took a few years for my names(niche) to come around so it was a hold scenario. Now my wife after years understands a little about domaining, and will occasionaly ask me if apple.com is available or something similar? Thankfully I had some good sales since then or I would be sleeping in the chick(en) coop.
Joe T

•••
i need to take domaining more serious.
this is like a past time to me.
I just visit some marketplaces, see whats available, look at recent sales, etc and then keep it moving
Wouldn't consider this an occupation though

OP do you have another source of income or is domaining your main thing?

•••
•••
Ask her what domain she would want to own ... and show her the estibot value.... Get creative with it lol

"You want to come back to my place & check out estibot values?" Smooth.

•••
"You want to come back to my place & check out estibot values?" Smooth.
lol it takes like less than a minute to show someone an estibot value ...

you: What domain would you want to own
her: AndreasFunFlowers.com
you: And estibot says your domain is pretty worthless

switch subject. lol

•••
But then estibot says FunFlowers.com is worth $1200. and she's impressed. (or should be, maybe).

•••
The internet of real estate

•••
You could say you are like Indian Jones and hunt for lost virtual treasure.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back